Author Topic: Starcraft 2! (Also the Blizzard Goes To Hell thread)  (Read 45487 times)

An Odd Sea Slug

• Not here, but not really there.
  • Only the best.
    • You can save the world by clicking this link!
Re: Starcraft 2!
« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2010, 12:08:26 AM »
It's confirmed, you will HAVE to buy a separate client for each region.  It's not against the TOS to have multiple clients, but you will have to buy a US client to get on the US servers and visa versa.  This shit is retarded.

Ugh.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a23/OddaC/ibjbci.jpg

...still gonna buy it anyway. :V

Helion

• I am the very model of a scientist salarian
« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2010, 11:32:00 AM »

Mounting Jaggis

• It's a dinosaur rodeo!
  • Yeee haww!
« Reply #62 on: May 30, 2010, 06:18:31 PM »
A nice little FAQ for those wondering how Battle.net 2.0 works

Quote from: FAQ
How can i participate in international championships on the B.Net 2.0?
It's simple, you can create a European or Asian account and download the client for just an extra 60$

How do i make new friends in B.Net 2.0?
During the game, ask if your opponent wants to be your friend. After he takes an epic spanking from
your cheese tactic, give him your email and AIM

How do i create a TAG for my clan?
Buy another Starcraft , that way you can easly put your clan's tag, just be careful so your clan doesn't
end or you don't get kicked, although we all know that rarely happens

How do i know what is my real ladder position?
Ask God

How do i create a channel for my clan?
www.mirc.com

How do i create a clan?
Call your friends and tell em that each one of them should buy a new starcraft 2 game, so they can put the tag, don't forget to ask every new member to buy a new game

How do I set up a clan match?
its VERY simple, sign up in an internet forum, give your email to everyone and ask the email of everyone from the opposite clan

In my LAN / tourney / WCG / ESWC the B.Net is lagging / failing, what do I do?
Start praying for a pacifist / patient crowd

I wanna change my name, what do I do?
Buy a new Starcraft, isn't it obvious?

I have a friend that plays on Europe, I want to play with him, what do I do?
Buy another starcraft (European version), take the opportunity to buy 5 starcrafts, in case you want to change your name, or put a clan tag, or play with an Australian friend

I want to talk to my virtual friends like in the classic b.net, what do I do?
Search on forums for email address of random people and add them to your friend list (some are bound to have an account), invite every one of them to your party, and then you will be able to talk

also a short history lesson on Activision-Blizzard

These guys aren't even subtle on their moneygrubbing schemes. With the things that happened to the smaller companies they own, you can tell that within a few years everyone that worked for Blizzard will get replaced by an Activision drone.

An Odd Sea Slug

• Not here, but not really there.
  • Only the best.
    • You can save the world by clicking this link!
« Reply #63 on: May 30, 2010, 07:33:56 PM »
Ya know that earlier post when I said I'd buy the game anyway? I've since changed my mind.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure anyone and everyone following this has seen this by now, but for those who haven't...
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 09:58:39 PM by Odda C. »

« Reply #64 on: May 30, 2010, 10:19:45 PM »
What next?  EA and Valve?

« Reply #65 on: May 30, 2010, 11:31:32 PM »
So all this means, cancel preorder for SC II when I go to get Deathsmiles from my preorder on that.

« Reply #66 on: May 30, 2010, 11:59:32 PM »
They might release cross-region play in a future patch.  Who knows?  It's far too early to say anything.

Mounting Jaggis

• It's a dinosaur rodeo!
  • Yeee haww!
« Reply #67 on: May 31, 2010, 01:08:31 AM »
I know it's too early to judge SC2, but seeing as this is Activision we're talking about it'll probably include a monthly fee. After seeing the success of the Star Pony, they know there are thousands of people willing to throw money for anything they implement that requires no effort at all.

lumber_of_the_beast

« Reply #68 on: May 31, 2010, 01:28:34 AM »
This picture is why I'm going to be buying StarCraft II unless it is literally unplayable.

JT

« Reply #69 on: June 08, 2010, 02:51:56 AM »
Just a curiosity, is the gameplay as APM-centric as before?

Not really. You can select multiple buildings and control as many units simultaneously as you want. If you have a mixed group of units, you don't have to select/hotkey spellcasters separately, and spells are cast one at a time rather than all at once. They also made it so that your workers will start mining automatically as they're produced; you no longer have to order each one individually, which was one of my biggest peeves with the first game.

It still helps to do basic stuff like hotkey your main and production buildings and memorize key commands, but overall, everything is way, way easier and more streamlined than the first game. It's to the point where a lot of people were whining that it would create a "glass ceiling."

I know it's too early to judge SC2, but seeing as this is Activision we're talking about it'll probably include a monthly fee. After seeing the success of the Star Pony, they know there are thousands of people willing to throw money for anything they implement that requires no effort at all.

$25 for a mount? Fuck me in the ass. That is ridiculous. You could buy another whole game for that price.

Also, if SC2 is pay-to-play, I'm not buying it.

« Reply #70 on: June 08, 2010, 06:21:48 AM »
Also, if SC2 is pay-to-play, I'm not buying it.
I really think Blizzard isn't the type of company to pull something like that right before release.  I don't think any sane developer would make an RTS with a P2P scheme in mind.

Paying 15$ a month so I can enjoy the campaign?  Pffft.  Well, at least the multi-player is free.

Firestorm29

• Lily White Mage
  • Spring Time is Healing Time~
« Reply #71 on: June 08, 2010, 01:19:31 PM »
Sorry to sound naive, but I'm hoping this first beta round was more to test the additions to Battle.net 2.0 rather than the whole package. I'm thinking this could be why it's taking them over a month to go to Phase 2. It doesn't make much sense to me why it would take so long otherwise.

JT

« Reply #72 on: June 08, 2010, 01:53:31 PM »

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #73 on: June 08, 2010, 03:19:52 PM »
Sorry to sound naive, but I'm hoping this first beta round was more to test the additions to Battle.net 2.0 rather than the whole package. I'm thinking this could be why it's taking them over a month to go to Phase 2. It doesn't make much sense to me why it would take so long otherwise.

This would be true, but it also goes against all stated functionality in Battle.net.  Unless they have a change of heart, it's going to get worse, not better.

Firestorm29

• Lily White Mage
« Reply #74 on: June 08, 2010, 09:18:01 PM »
I'm just convinced it isn't the whole package since in the user agreement, they'd shut off certain functions in order to test others. What better way to test than to leave no other choice? I'm probably not going to make any decisions to drop Starcraft 2 until I at least see what happens with this Phase 2. I month is still a very long time to set up servers alone.

Helion

« Reply #75 on: June 08, 2010, 09:33:05 PM »
Activision is a scary company.

« Reply #76 on: June 08, 2010, 11:54:15 PM »
Activision-Blizzard is a scary company.
Fixed.  Activision is especially scary when they have Blizzard's influence.

« Reply #77 on: June 09, 2010, 12:08:04 AM »
Blizzard used to be good until Activision came along. Now with Activision's influence, even Blizzard is trying to milk us of our money.

Activision is ridiculous with the milking though. I'm glad I don't like most FPS and wouldn't play most war related games anyway. Even if I did like them, I would not have bought the "Stimulus" and "Reassurance"(oops, Resurgence)  map packs

« Reply #78 on: June 09, 2010, 12:18:02 AM »
Well, at least it's a good thing Warcraft 3 doesn't look like it's going to die anytime soon.

« Reply #79 on: June 09, 2010, 12:31:45 AM »
I don't even know where my CD Keys for that are and I don't have it registered on their site, and I'm not buying another copy.

Especially when I don't like the actual multiplayer or DotA. And considering what almost every game in the customs list was when I quit.

« Reply #80 on: June 09, 2010, 12:53:52 AM »
I don't even know where my CD Keys for that are and I don't have it registered on their site, and I'm not buying another copy.

Especially when I don't like the actual multiplayer or DotA. And considering what almost every game in the customs list was when I quit.
DotA
DotA is just plain stupid.  Simply mentioning it reminds me of why I stopped playing AoS's.  I don't really like it when everyone associates Warcraft 3 gameplay with DotA.  While DotA still has a lot of games in the custom game list, it's much better than it was a couple years ago.  I mostly play melee and tower/hero defense maps now.

On another note, it's a bit too late to cancel my SC2 collector's edition.   :ohdear:

Firestorm29

• Lily White Mage
« Reply #81 on: June 09, 2010, 02:37:49 AM »
Can someone tell me what this DotA is? I haven't played a game on that map yet.

« Reply #82 on: June 09, 2010, 02:48:08 AM »
If you want to try it, then download it from the Internet as anyone will just ban you from their game if you're downloading because noone likes newbies.

Also, if you do bad, expect to be put on a banlist program. If you do good, expect to be put on a banlist program by sore losers.

Unbalanced heroes. No skill whatsoever. Memorizing may be a skill in some games, but memorizing item orders is way too easy anyone can do it.

Search DotA on Youtube, there's probably vids of it. Also League of Legends is like it, and there are a few other commercial games like it. Basically, you pick a hero, grind on random weaklings sent to your base, buy items, kill heroes. You try to destroy the enemies base.

« Reply #83 on: June 09, 2010, 04:55:24 AM »
Also, if you do bad, expect to be put on a banlist program. If you do good, expect to be put on a banlist program by sore losers.
If you're not on a banlist within a week of playing, you're doing something wrong.

« Reply #84 on: June 09, 2010, 10:31:19 AM »
I'm all for hating on Dota aka my reason for quitting war3 BNET.

But this is supposed to be about starcraft 2 so let's hate on their decision to not have LAN...

actually scratch that I'm more annoyed at their policy on mapmakers. Well as long as I make mine single player only this should be fine for me.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 10:59:38 AM by mew77 »

Helion

« Reply #85 on: June 09, 2010, 11:37:20 AM »
Have the Terrans improved in any way here? Or are we going to see boring protoss vs zerg all the time?

« Reply #86 on: June 09, 2010, 11:56:43 AM »
protoss vs Zerg isn't boring.

Why should we let the humans win anyway??

JT

« Reply #87 on: June 09, 2010, 12:06:32 PM »
Have the Terrans improved in any way here? Or are we going to see boring protoss vs zerg all the time?

If you're having trouble as Terran vs. Zerg, just do marine-marauder-medivac. Unless your opponent has a shitload of banelings, you absolutely can not lose. MMM is so good it's retarded. For Protoss, EMP+stim buttrapes pretty much everything.

Oh, and if you see an Infestor, either kill it immediately or get the fuck away.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 12:14:11 PM by JT »

Helion

« Reply #88 on: June 09, 2010, 12:28:54 PM »
So you mean it'll be unlike SC1, where terrans are so rare to see? I don't know about strategies in SC2, since I'm not even in the beta, I was more talking about how you see Protoss vs Zerg matches so often and you rarely see Terrans in play.

JT

« Reply #89 on: June 09, 2010, 01:11:19 PM »
So you mean it'll be unlike SC1, where terrans are so rare to see? I don't know about strategies in SC2, since I'm not even in the beta, I was more talking about how you see Protoss vs Zerg matches so often and you rarely see Terrans in play.

Yeah, overall it seems pretty well-balanced. The last I heard (this was before everything was reset), upper platinum was made up of like 30% Terran, 30% Zerg, 30% Protoss, and 10% random, which is pretty much perfect.