Author Topic: Starcraft 2! (Also the Blizzard Goes To Hell thread)  (Read 45489 times)

Starcraft 2! (Also the Blizzard Goes To Hell thread)
« on: April 28, 2010, 02:40:10 AM »
The beta has been out for a while and seeing how popular the editor game has become, I feel that it deserves its own thread.  Pretty much anything related to SC2 and the new, super, awesome Galaxy Editor can be posted here.

For those of you who are wondering about the average skill level of the players on Battle.net, I can assure you that they are pretty diverse.  The first game I played ended up with me losing horrifically to Terran.  Both teams had a player equivalent of an AFK'er/leaver so it was pretty much 1v1 at the time.  Our gap in skill was pretty obvious as I lost 24 Zealots to 8 Reapers.

Today, I decided to try again with the matchmaking system, hoping I would get some easier opponents.  Wish granted.  I had another crappy teammate, but this time my opponents were also crappy.  My teammate ended up dying to a handful of Banshees because he forgot to build detectors.  The only reason I won this 1v2 was the fact that my opponents either never played an RTS before, or they were intentionally trying to win by spamming units and attack-moving.  Just because the game requires less micro doesn't mean that you can try to completely try to bypass the factor.

Oh yeah, Motherships are weak as hell and Reapers need serious nerfing.  Also, I am attempting to make some sort of AI for Protoss using triggers at the moment and I am completely failing at it.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 06:05:19 PM by Edible »

Widermelonz

• Delicious
  • Yum
Re: Starcraft 2!
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 02:57:43 AM »
I've yet to see anyone that can kill a squadron of ~30 units comprised of Corruptors and  Broodlords.

The Thor isn't as great as I thought it'd be. Same goes for vikings. Banshees are better that I thought. Reapers are great, but I don't see them as overpowered. I thought Roaches were overpowered until I learned how to deal with them. I haven't really played Protoss yet, but I'll get to them sooner or later. And oh god the Terran buildings actually move at a reasonable speed now.

So far, I'm really enjoying the beta. The full release is a definite purchase for me.

JT

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 05:14:36 AM »
For those of you who are wondering about the average skill level of the players on Battle.net, I can assure you that they are pretty diverse.  The first game I played ended up with me losing horrifically to Terran.  Both teams had a player equivalent of an AFK'er/leaver so it was pretty much 1v1 at the time.  Our gap in skill was pretty obvious as I lost 24 Zealots to 8 Reapers.

If he had the speed upgrade for the Reapers, it wouldn't matter how many of them he had. At that point zealots can't even touch them. They die really quick anyway, they're more for taking out buildings/workers.

An Odd Sea Slug

• Not here, but not really there.
  • Only the best.
    • You can save the world by clicking this link!
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 05:21:26 AM »
I'm watching a lot of gameplay videos of this these days. A definite purchase when/if I can get a gaming rig built.

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 05:23:29 AM »
I love arranged team.  That's all I can say.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 01:21:20 PM »
It depresses me how terrible I am at this game.  I'm an upper level DoW2 player, got 2000+ on the SupCom 1v1 ladder (pre FA), but I went 1-4 on my 2v2 placement matches and I'm 0 for 3 on my 1v1 matches =|  I get there being a slight curve to get used to the nuances of the game, but this is absurd.

My econ is very strong throughout the game, but then I'll make stupid mistakes like not watching my supply count and stalling there, or getting a huge amount of minerals and no gas.  Or I'll forget to build units or tech up, or I don't harrass early enough and they just steamroll me with a billion Void Rays/Mutas/etc.

But I keep on coming back like an abused wife.  I want moreeeeee.

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 05:28:05 AM »
The game has one major flaw.

It isn't out yet. I really envy all of you who got into the beta.

Also because my Starcraft 2 Mod project that has been in the works for the last year or so can't be produced yet.

Almost everything is done by this point, except for starting on the editing.

JT

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 07:05:38 AM »
The game has one major flaw.

It isn't out yet. I really envy all of you who got into the beta.

If you preorder it from GameStop, you get a beta key, no strings attached.

Helion

• I am the very model of a scientist salarian
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 10:01:32 AM »
This comic sums it up. I'm just plain terrible at Starcraft.

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 02:08:17 AM »
I don't play it online...that comic is so true.

The thing is some people take it too seriously.

That is the case with all games. I'd like to say that it's just a game, but to many it's serious business.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 02:53:27 AM »
I've gotten much beter now.  Upper bronze league in 1v1 and about to reach Bronze in 2v2.

Maybe by launch I'll be gold :V

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2010, 06:59:19 AM »
I haven't played a single match ever since I started toying around with the map editor.  Best damn thing ever invented.

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 12:19:23 PM »
Can't wait till I can start my mod...

the darned thing has been in the works for at least two years now..

the game needs to come out for me to finally build it, but until then it's almost all planned out.

Helion

• I am the very model of a scientist salarian
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2010, 08:07:24 PM »
I might still give the original Starcraft a chance, before this one comes out. I'll still get my ass kicked though.

JT

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2010, 09:33:08 PM »
I might still give the original Starcraft a chance, before this one comes out. I'll still get my ass kicked though.

Well, the only people still playing the original game are oldies who know what they're doing, while SC2 probably has a lot of newer, less experienced players for you to cut your teeth on. You learn faster the harder you get your ass kicked, but if you tend to get discouraged from losing too much then you should probably just go for SC2. It also has the matchmaking system, so no matter what you'll still win about half of your matches.

lumber_of_the_beast

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2010, 01:30:52 AM »
July 27th, worldwide.

Motherbitches.

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2010, 11:31:39 PM »
What is this confirmed!!!!

I can't believe it!!!!

« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 11:33:56 PM by mew77 »

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2010, 11:13:47 PM »
Preordered it today.

Downloading the beta now.

This is taking way too long. Also, like my previous experiences with torrents for legal stuff, this Blizzard Downloader is slowing down my normal browsing way too damn much. Is there a way to make it so that my browsing speed doesn't go to shit in these cases?

Wow:

First 4 games were crap.

Game 1: Trying to get used to the game on the first. Attack at a bad time, get owned, get counterowned.

Game 2: Opponent leaves, other opponent leaves

Game 3: I get the opponent that left first on my team, he leaves, then I leave.

Game 4: I get the same teammate who leaves, I try to play, but I'm not used to the game yet and I'm not familiar with units yet, and it's been a long time since I last played StarCraft, though costs seem the same. I get killed badly because I don't have a good build order and barely got anything.

So I only have 1 more game allowed in the Novice section, and I haven't even learned anything about the game.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 02:44:07 AM by Enigma »

JT

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2010, 05:54:45 AM »
This is taking way too long. Also, like my previous experiences with torrents for legal stuff, this Blizzard Downloader is slowing down my normal browsing way too damn much. Is there a way to make it so that my browsing speed doesn't go to shit in these cases?

Protip: Just get a torrent for the client. It's the same exact program you're downloading right now.

lumber_of_the_beast

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2010, 10:19:06 PM »

An Odd Sea Slug

• Not here, but not really there.
  • Only the best.
    • You can save the world by clicking this link!
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2010, 01:37:30 AM »
That was fast... Lol, Nitori in a Thor. Yep, definitely gonna crank out a WTF-hard shmup or two with that editor~
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 01:41:01 AM by Odda C. »

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2010, 02:05:48 AM »
Reaper rush is ridiculous.

By the time I have one Zealot they already have a Reaper charging towards my base.

Polttopallo

• /人◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2010, 02:06:26 PM »
Sadly I won't be able to make any maps.

StarCraft's map maker was pretty easy, and although I could have made on for StarCraft, I never actually finished. WarCraft III's was way too hard for me. And this one is harder.

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2010, 01:14:18 AM »
Sadly I won't be able to make any maps.

StarCraft's map maker was pretty easy, and although I could have made on for StarCraft, I never actually finished. WarCraft III's was way too hard for me. And this one is harder.
The map maker is the only reason I'm spending money on this game.  I always complained about how WC3's editor could use some more sophisticated functions and... I got my wish.   :*

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2010, 04:44:06 PM »
We should trade battle.net names!

TSO -> anime.schoolgirl

Mounting Jaggis

• It's a dinosaur rodeo!
  • Yeee haww!
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2010, 05:14:00 PM »
I want to buy the game and get the beta but there's something I'm not sure of. Can I pre-order the game in one Gamestop and pick it up in another? I won't be in the same state when the game is released.

Never mind, I went to a Gamestop and asked there.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 06:19:06 PM by Skye »

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2010, 11:34:46 PM »
We should trade battle.net names!

TSO -> anime.schoolgirl

SupremeBogus -> SupremeBogus.bogasu

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2010, 11:37:11 PM »
Holy release date!

Something to look forward to :D