Author Topic: Danmakufu Contest 1 - Halloween! (Results!)  (Read 74636 times)

Re: Danmakufu Contest 1 - Halloween!
« Reply #120 on: November 02, 2009, 05:50:41 AM »
If Onthenet or Naut wins we should also appoint another winner.

Hurtful! Not like we're reviewing our own scripts. I sort of agree anyway, judges should not be allowed to win by default.

In addition, I now need to rename all the folders because I can't remember whose is whose.

This was a big problem for me. I had to delete everybody's script and redownload them one at a time, renaming them all and keeping track of whose is whose in a seperate text file. Some of them also didn't think that everybody's script directory will not be the same, and forgot things like "./blahblah.png"; or GetCurrentScriptDirectory~"blahblah.png";, so I had to dick around with moving them in to correct folders. I didn't take any marks off for it, but please make your scripts playable no matter how dumbassed we are at extracting them, guys.

Lawence Codye

• The Nine Tails of Subconscious...
  • Come & your desires shall all become reality...
« Reply #121 on: November 02, 2009, 06:33:33 AM »
In addition, I now need to rename all the folders because I can't remember whose is whose.
This was a big problem for me. I had to delete everybody's script and redownload them one at a time, renaming them all and keeping track of whose is whose in a seperate text file. Some of them also didn't think that everybody's script directory will not be the same, and forgot things like "./blahblah.png"; or GetCurrentScriptDirectory~"blahblah.png";, so I had to dick around with moving them in to correct folders.

I had to do the same...except I didn't have to redownload all the scripts again...lucky me...
I am the Nine Tails of Subconscious...

Come & your greatest desires will be reality...

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #122 on: November 02, 2009, 08:32:45 AM »
I'll say it here: My danmaku is poor in my script. Because I didn't ( want to ) pay(ed) too much attention to it. I rather save those ideas for my full game. So I wouldn't be suprised if I scored poor there ( like 1 or 2 )

The Tewi candy grabbing spellcard was A+ material, very creative imo. And the background was nice.

When I saw Stuffman's Kisume in a pumpkin I was like KISUME!!! but then Yamame appeared D: , neverless the web danmaku was for me partly jawdrop.

Puremerz pumpkin shaped danmaku was nice, but I only got to expirience it on youtube. His script was not firing bullets =.=

Kogasa suprise was a nice recolouring and good use of her umbrella familiars being shaped to pumpkins.

Naut's spider was simply mind fuck, I didn't die the first time though! Because I was dodging on the left. But I didn't knew what to do anymore after it started moving around.

The candy pacman spellcard at the open door made me lol and suprise.

These are roughly few highlights I remember, I missed probably more.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #123 on: November 02, 2009, 10:02:22 AM »
Spell Commentary

I'm so unsurprised to not see mine on there XD

puremrz

• Can't stop playing Minecraft!
« Reply #124 on: November 02, 2009, 11:26:05 AM »
Puremerz pumpkin shaped danmaku was nice, but I only got to expirience it on youtube. His script was not firing bullets =.=

You, put it in the right folder, you! D:<
GetCurrentScriptDirectory doen't seem to work with bullet script files, so my Halloween thing has to specifically be in your "script" folder, or no boollats.
Where did you put it anyway? o_O
Full Danmakufu game "Juuni Jumon - Summer Interlude" is done!
By the same person who made Koishi Hell 1,2 (except this game is serious)
Topic: http://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,9647.0.html

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #125 on: November 02, 2009, 11:35:18 AM »
GetCurrentScriptDirectory doen't seem to work with bullet script files, so my Halloween thing has to specifically be in your "script" folder, or no boollats.

script folder, like everyone else's scripts. Extract and play, but no bullets.

Edit: oh yea, it gave also lots of errors about some familiar.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 11:40:03 AM by Helepolis »

puremrz

• Can't stop playing Minecraft!
« Reply #126 on: November 02, 2009, 11:38:20 AM »
script folder, like everyone else's scripts. Extract and play, but no bullets.

Danmakufu folder > script folder > Halloween folder & game file.txt > Data folder > shots.txt
Right?
Full Danmakufu game "Juuni Jumon - Summer Interlude" is done!
By the same person who made Koishi Hell 1,2 (except this game is serious)
Topic: http://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,9647.0.html

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #127 on: November 02, 2009, 11:50:12 AM »
Danmakufu folder > script folder > Halloween folder & game file.txt > Data folder > shots.txt
Right?

Do you seriously think I don't know how to drag & drop the content of a zip inside  dnh/scripts? :V

Also the script crashes on my laptop, but not on my pc. And that is because of the OGG file. I had the same issue with my Kisume boss. OGG = bad if not proper tested.

« Reply #128 on: November 02, 2009, 04:54:44 PM »
I couldn't get anybody's music working when it was in .ogg format. I would highly recommend against using it with Danmakufu, since it never works consistently. Looping the music correctly isn't a high priority at this point, anyway. I did convert all the music files to a playable format though, so don't worry about not being judged as such.

And for this:
Right?
Some of them also didn't think that everybody's script directory will not be the same, and forgot things like "./blahblah.png"; or GetCurrentScriptDirectory~"blahblah.png";, so I had to dick around with moving them in to correct folders. I didn't take any marks off for it, but please make your scripts playable no matter how dumbassed we are at extracting them, guys.

./blahblah.png

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #129 on: November 02, 2009, 05:29:32 PM »
I might need til tomorrow to post my ratings since I need to head out to work soon-like.

EDIT: Nevermind I crapped some out and sent them to the judges
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 06:36:23 PM by Stuffman »

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #130 on: November 02, 2009, 07:01:07 PM »
OGG format doesn't loops your bgms proper either. My afro boss never loops proper and it is in OGG format. Going to change it back to mp3 anyway.

And Naut's post solved the problem. Puremrz used full path setting in his script and I had renamed his main folder to "Halloween2" because someone else also had a "Halloween" folder in his rar file. And this is the main reason why you should always use GetCurrentScriptDirectory or .\  as said above.

The foldername should be the last thing to influence your scripts imo, but yea. Mistakes are bound to happen with so little time to test proper. But the OGG still crashes on my laptop and that cannot be fixed unless it is mp3 or tested proper.

« Reply #131 on: November 03, 2009, 04:38:40 AM »
I guess I should just post whatever I have huh? :V

Alright...

BEHOLD AND TREMBLE

« Reply #132 on: November 03, 2009, 05:22:28 AM »
NOTHING TO DO WITH HALLOWEEN WHAT THE FUCK SUIKAMA

COME ON

FUCK

30/30

« Reply #133 on: November 03, 2009, 05:28:34 AM »
NOTHING TO DO WITH HALLOWEEN WHAT THE FUCK SUIKAMA

COME ON

FUCK

30/30

But in all seriousness I'll post whatever I have sometime tommorow morning

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #134 on: November 03, 2009, 10:39:57 AM »
You reached ichirin with 2 lives? :V

* Helepolis looks at the left bottom corner.

You are doing it wrong sir.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #135 on: November 03, 2009, 02:51:53 PM »

Actually, if you're actually using your bombs and not getting hit, storing green UFOs gives you more survivability than Red UFOs, and actually has a (small) point multiplier.

But of course that means you can't really risk taking a hit... so yeah

*Awaits scores*

« Reply #136 on: November 03, 2009, 03:24:58 PM »

STOP, HELEPOLIS.

I suck at UFO k :V

plus I didn't even make that screenshot V:

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #137 on: November 03, 2009, 03:27:39 PM »
BEHOLD AND TREMBLE
SHIT
SUIKAMA WINS, END OF STORY

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #138 on: November 03, 2009, 04:10:34 PM »
Actually, if you're actually using your bombs and not getting hit, storing green UFOs gives you more survivability than Red UFOs, and actually has a (small) point multiplier.

But of course that means you can't really risk taking a hit... so yeah

Eh, no. You are wrong imo. But w/e. This is not Eirin's section.

« Reply #139 on: November 03, 2009, 05:41:11 PM »
Dammit I'm so close to finishing but I gotta head to school now D:

CK Crash

• boozer
RESULTS
« Reply #140 on: November 03, 2009, 08:42:48 PM »
Top 3 scores:

Helepolis: 77/90

Helepolis, your script showcased the best of Halloween. The attacks were well designed, the effects were skillfully done, and the ending was one of the best dialogues I've seen. Congratulations!

Stuffman: 75/90

Stuffman, you took one of the more overlooked characters from the series and made a truly spectacular boss fight. Your attention to detail and use of custom graphics was impressive. Your script really was a thrill to play!

Thaws: 73.5/90

Thaws, you made one of the most flat out funny scripts of the contest, without compromising your design. I hope next Halloween I get my candy IN DANMAKU FORM!

Congratulations to our winners, who showed great design, style, and Halloween spirit! We hope to see everyone participate in our future contests as well!

Reviews:

rdj's Halloween Contest Entry
By rdj522.

Naut's Review:

Other than a vague reference to halloween in the dialogue, there really isn't anything related to the contest in this script. The final spell has a really cool gimmick that could've been taken a bit farther methinks. Lack of a background doesn't help the score either, though it was nice to see Komachi have an attacking animation, even it was the only real garnish to the script.
Design: 5.5/10
Nothing exceptional about the script. The final spell gimick and sinusoidal ghost bullets are the only things earning points. Was pretty easy too, perhaps two difficulties were in order since the script wasn't really gimmicky.
Theme: 2.5/10
Like I said, other than a brief mention of halloween in the dialogue, this script isn't really related to the contest at all.
Style: 6/10
BGM is a nice choice and seems very oddly fitting to the boss, and the attacking animation is a nice garnish. Not much other than that.

Total: 14/30
Even just adding pumpkins or something to the background would've boosted your theme mark considerably... Better luck next time.

Onthenet's Review:

Design: 6/10
First nonspell was the highlight of this fight, solidly designed. However, second was lacking in difficulty and variety, and third had some issues with the slowdown field. You definitely overused the purple fire bullets (what about Komachi's coins?)
Theme: 1/10
Komachi is scarier in her original game than she is here.
Style: 4/10
BGM is nice, and having a conversation was nice, but lack of spell BG or sound effects doesn't help your score.

Total: 13/30

Drake's Review:

The sinusoidal pattern is great, I found myself restarting a few times to find how to actually cap it with an actual method and not random dodging. First card is generic but still good, although it needs less purple. Last card is neat in theory, but it was made a bit awkwardly and ended up pretty easy.
Theme: 2/10
At least you mentioned Halloween in your dialogue.
Style: 5/10
Komachi is kind of an odd choice here. You did use ZUN bullets and made your own tractor beam thing, which was kind of nice.

Combined Total: 40/90

Skelekin
By kyle_090594

Naut's Review:

Haha, love the custom boss sprite. Complete with left and right movements, as well as a synchronized attacking animation! Very nice. The danmaku, while not really original at all, was still pretty fun to play. What the hell was up with the background though? Haha, you could've found a less eyebleeding picture to tile all over the place. You're gonna lose points for the music though, it's not really that fitting other than during the "Great Whirlwind" spell lookalike.
Design: 4/10
Nothing very original at all, but oddly fun to play.
Theme: 9/10
Can't get much more halloweeny than a clusterfuck of pumpkins! Too bad your danmaku didn't reflect any sort of halloween theme. Even orange and black bullets would've bumped this to a 9.5, even 10.
Style: 7/10
BGM wasn't very well matched, and the pumpkin tiling was just gross. Your custom sprite is what's earning you points here, it was awesome.

Total: 20/30
A different background choice would've been a big factor in earning more points. Also, try to make more original danmaku, slightly editing Drake and Iryan's isn't really going to cut it.

Onthenet's Review:

Design: 5/10
Nonspells were a bit plain. First spell was based off of the tutorial, but still fun. Second spell was extremely easy or extremely hard depending on difficulty, and didn't really have a gimmick at all. Pretty mathetmatical designs are better used for nonspells if you can't theme it well.
Theme: 7/10
Nice pumpkin theme, but attacks didn't really show that off enough.
BGM wasn't too fitting, and background was very distracting to the point where it actually made the danmaku harder. Custom sprite was awesome though.

Total: 17/30

Drake's Review:

Even though it's obviously an experiment, I still liked it, for a newbie. Except next time, don't make it so obvious that you ripped off my cycloid functions lol (The last card is fairly well-executed, even still)
Pumpkins, music is Halloweeny, etc.
Background is killing my eyes, don't do that. Making pictures yourself = points, danmaku is still pretty.

Total: 19/30

Combined Total: 56/90

Halloween Contest Entry
By puremrz

Naut's Review:

As expected from puremrz, this script is very pretty. The difficulty is on par with where I think it should be (without being excessive like I usually want it. Can't really expect that though). Excellent use of images (cut-ins and sprites were amazing) and background give an awesome tone to the script. The danmaku is very pretty and creative enough for the contest. Your bullets are not opaque enough though, I really, really dislike being able to see through your "sun" bullets and the arrowheads. Also, your nonspells have cut-ins... Heh.
Design: 8/10
Being able to see through your sun and arrowhead bullets really subtract enjoyability from the script for me, since they just seem to blend in with the background. Other than that, the danmaku is very nice, despite being sort of plain in some parts.
Theme: 10/10
Not much to say here. The tone, bullets, dialogue and bullet patterns all fit the theme perfectly. Well done.
Style: 8.5/10
I found the BGM, though awesome, doesn't really fit with a "halloween script". It does, however, suit the personality of the bosses, so I was generous. We didn't see as much creativity as could've been expected, the forming of a pumpkin and web out of bullets was overshadowed by the longer lasting plain attacks, like the first non-card and the longer half of the last spell.

Total: 26.5/30
All in all, the script is well polished and very nice to look at, but doesn't really "wow" at any parts. Solid marks throughout for following guidelines, but nothing stood out as exceptional.

Onthenet's Review:

Design: 7/10
Bit dull during the nonspells. Highlight was the pumpkin shaped danmaku during the last spell, which really has that intimidation factor danmaku is all about. Some points off for having a harder script than the contest called for.
Theme: 8/10
Magicians are common place in Gensokyo, so maybe not the best choice. Last spell gave off a strong Halloween vibe though.
Style: 8/10
Custom graphics and characters really helped here. Bullets had hard to see hitboxes, something you may want to change for your full game project.

Total: 23/30

Drake's Review:

I rather liked it, at least, it's not bad. The way is makes you dodge stuff is good, but the bullets contrast with each other and the alpha blending is super low on some bullets. You didn't really need to make the first spellcard a survival, and it's kind of clipdeath-heavy and other bullshit.
Also, your plural scripts weren't really formed right and it's kind of confusing as to what you were trying to do in the first place.
wharz da hallaweeen (changed from 1 to 7 after some reconsideration)
The OCs were hit-or-miss. You really didn't need to put them in as there wasn't really a story to begin with. The spell circles and backgrounds were nice, though. Sound effects, too.

Total: 21/30

Combined Total: 70.5/90

Necromancy "4 Cards Later"
By Garlyle

Naut's Review:

Not much of a halloween entry, just one spellcard with four difficulties. No theme at all, but the card is pretty Orin styled.
Pretty much an exact copy of Orin's attacks from SA, this spellcard doesn't really bring anything new to the table. The difficulties are pretty accurate though.
Theme: 0.5/10
Nothing indicating of halloween at all, unless you count "Orin uses ghosts".
The graphics and various ghost gimmicks are pretty nice, so that certainly earns you points.

Total: 11.5/30
At least mention halloween somewhere, and make your own danmaku rather than combining attacks from SA.

Onthenet's Review:

Pretty okay design, nothing too special. More attacks would have been nice. Zombie fairy idea was executed well.
Zombies themselves aren't too Halloween-y unfortunately.
Nice graphics. Lolgiygas.

Drake's Review:

I would have liked it much better had you have done the 2/2 guideline rather than the same thing in four difficulties. The one card lasts wayyyy too long. This pretty much forces you to stay bottom-center as long as possible, and the ghost fairies just pile up and it gets kind of annoying. However, there is a certain charm to it, even still.
orinrin is a scari neko
Much better for including music, proper cut-ins, sound effects and all that jazz. Would have been better if it wasn't all taken from me and Hele lol

Total: 12/30

Combined Total: 36.5/90

Halloween Event
By Nimble

Naut's Review:

Excellent custom graphics, nice sprite animating. The difficulty might be a bit excessive for most people though, which leads me to recommend making a second, easier difficulty. The danmaku was pretty inventive, and the script was fairly fun to play. I liked your danmaku pumpkins. A little more creativity could've gone into those regular attacks, and the difficulty is really tearing away at the creativity of the spellcards...
Design: 6.5/10
Difficulty might be too excessive for most people. Also, the random circle of lasers is pretty walltastic. The pumpkin danmaku and creative use of the giant pumpkin in the background are earning you points here.
Other than a giant pumpkin in the background (and some pumpkin shaped danmaku on the last spell), the only thing making this halloweeny is the copious amount of orange. Which is enough to get you some points, but you could've done better I think.
Your custom sprite and cut in is very nice, but other than that there isn't much garnish. The BGM doesn't really suit the script (or a halloween script for that matter), and the background is just a giant pumpkin. Could've been improved, methinks.

Total: 19.5/30
Seemed too thrown together. The danmaku left something to be desired, but what that lacked the graphical nuances picked up on. Try to make the script less messy looking, and use a different BGM, something other than rips from the official games.

Onthenet's Review:

Very very difficult for what you would call normal. Nonspells seemed like random spam attacks. Laser attack was completely wall-tacular.
Theme: 5/10
Yet another pumpkin themed boss. Could have been emphasized more.
Custom graphics and giant pumpkin are awesome. BGM didn't fit at all though.

Drake's Review:

Design: 3/10
Random monotonous shit flying around everywhere = bad. The pumpkin eye-lasers could have been cool but you kind of ruined it by having the player bomb every second wave. The second card had those neat thing at the bottom, but you realy can't avoid anything here. Same as Alwaysthe9, don't make cards that require you to bomb every two seconds.
Theme: 6/10
Halloweeny, but still somewhat bland.
Is that an OC? The art is nice, animation is nice too. Giant pumpkin in the middle of the screen was pretty cool too but it was kind of ruined by the danmaku. Music... I guess I'm just not one for U.N.Owen. Didn't really fit.

Total: 15/30

Combined Total: 48.5

Trick or Treat
By Iryan

Naut's Review:

What can be said, really. You couldn't even play your own script, haha!
I have no idea how to rate this fairly!
Colors supposed to reflect candy? I dunno. Should've made orange bullets all over the place to increase your score, haha!
Style: 1/10
Single point awarded for having no idea what your script would look like before submitting it!

Total: 5/30
Get Danmakufu working!

Onthenet's Review:

Design: 1/10
Blindspots that would make Icicle Fall - Easy look hard.
By the same logic, China would be the scariest boss in EoSD.
Style: 2/10
2 points for not knowing what your script looks like YEAAAAHHHHH

Total: 4/30

Drake's Review:

Total: 5/10
I can't really judge this at all...

Combined Total: 14/90

Trick or Treat
By Thaws

Naut's Review:

Ever the creative one, Thaws delivers in this halloween script. I liked how you are portrayed as a person out trick-or-treating! Very creative. I guess my biggest problem with the script is that it doesn't look as pretty as it could, and there is no BGM!
Design: 9/10
Could've been a bit more creative with some of the attacks, but pacman and the candy bullets are a huge contributing factor to your high score.
Pretty halloween-y to me! Any more and it would've been a bit excessive, methinks. Can't go wrong with trick or treating!
Style: 6.5/10
There is no BGM! Ahhh! And your backgrounds could've been a bit more detailed, but I certainly liked the concept and it was fun to play.

Total: 25.5/30
IN DANMAKU FORM! A bit more variety in the use of the candy danmaku (mainly applies to the first attack) and better looking visuals would've boosted your score. BGM would've been a nice addition too!

Onthenet's Review:

Attacks were well made, but didn't really feel like danmaku at times. Pacman attack is great though
Halloween isn't Halloween without trick or treating. Lacked the equally important scary themes though.
Candy-maku is awesome, and the whole thing is rather lulzy.

Total: 23/30

Drake's Review:

Sticks to a theme all the way through and continues to vary it up at the same time. Good job. Having Pac-Man chase after me is great. Coloring them differently was very smart too. Nothing against it, but it was... still lacking something. Aside from the patterned danmaku it was kind of stale.
knock knock give me some damn candy
Style: 9/10
Jesus fuck I lol'ed. The popping sounds were great, the candy and Pac-Man patterns were as well. No music disappointed me but I'm not subtracting points.

Total: 25/30

Combined Total: 73.5/90

Halloween Boss
By renaryuugu

Naut's Review:

Ahhh! This had so much potential! I really liked the eerie mood the script started with. The BGM was an excellent choice and the background only added to the mood. It's a shame that there really isn't much to do with Halloween in here, and the script is too short!
I loved the danmaku patterns, but there just wasn't enough variety in there to merit a higher mark. Perhaps adding a bit more to the script in terms of different patterns, as well as fixing that weird restarting glitch at the end would've earned you a 10.
Unfortunately, eerie tones and creepy music doesn't justify calling it a halloween script. Something a little more indicative of halloween would've easily earned you a higher mark.
I loved the background and BGM, combined with the slowly entering Remi created an awesome tone that I could never mimic myself. It's a shame that those are the only really style points here.

The only real error in your judgement was not continuing to build on this script. I feel that if you put more effort and time in to your script, you would've easily been a contender for top 3.

Onthenet's Review:

Strangely fun, but a bit too hard, and a bit too short. Feels like the intro to a final boss, but ends prematurely.
Theme: 3/10
Aside from eerie intro, nothing very Halloween themed.
Great use of BGM, and I liked the "blood" danmaku, but could have been so much more.

Drake's Review:

The 20-something seconds of intro was really boring. I was talking to Naut on IRC and I wasn't dying. The spellcard is once again some ridiculously hard thing. It would be better if it was a tad slower, so you could actually react to stuff flying at you. Although. The noncard is super awesome and in itself nabbed you your main points here. Needs to be a bit less random, but otherwise good job on it.
Vampires, but not Halloweeny. Unlike Bluemoon's vampire stuff, this is far more vampire than Halloween.
Background is nice and the danmaku is pretty. Good job on this.

Total: 18/30

Combined Total: 51/90

Halloween Fight
By Wingz

Naut's Review:

Very creative! This is what I like to see, going above and beyond the guidelines for the contest and making something truly different. Other than the messiness of the script (which is probably a result of the odd bullet colors and background mixing together), this script is solid.
Design: 8.5/10
Other than the odd bullet color choices and general abstractness of the patterns, the danmaku was varied and creative. The last spell was particularly awesome, and very different.
Suited the halloween theme perfectly. The first attacks were kind of lacking in the halloween theme department (other than ORANGE), but the last spell more than made up for it.
The script was kind of messy looking, and not as fun to play a it ought to be. The background was pretty static, and the BGM needed to be something other than a Touhou game rip.

Total: 25.5/30
Clean up your danmaku a bit and make the background move or something (even just putting another texture on top that scrolls around would be fine). This script is a great entry for the contest, good job.

Onthenet's Review:

Loved the last spell. Something truly different and memorable. Attacks weren't very Tewi-like, but that's forgivable due to her not having been a proper boss in any of the official Touhou games.
Nice background and candy catching game give you points here, but Tewi isn't exactly scary or even remotely Halloween related aside from the trickster aspect.
Pretty average in this aspect, some sound effects sounded strange. BGM was a bit unfitting.

Total: 22/30

Drake's Review:

Danmaku of a refreshing difficulty, but still pretty boring. Pumpkin Smasher really didn't need to be a survival and was far too long and random. Laser->Danmaku = super yes. The candy collection thing is great, but Tewi's attacks were pretty meh.
Theme: 6/10
Even though the focus was "collect candy", there wasn't much of a Halloween feel to it. More like an excuse to make some more scripts.
Most points come from the nice background and the candy-collecting. Otherwise there wasn't much to this.

Combined Total: 66.5/90

Halloween Contest Entry
By Gamecubic

Naut's Review:

My my, lots of orange and black. To be honest, this was what I was expecting from many entries. Just a generic fight with some orange and black bullets and maybe a ghost or something. That said, it doesn't help your score, heh.
Design: 7.5/10
The patterns were nice, but nothing worth remarking about. They were varied enough to not get boring, but not terribly "oh wow", either. Maybe spicing things up would've given you a better mark for design. Trying something a little more out of the ordinary.
Haha, orange and black bullets isn't going to cut it for a halloween themed boss. The spirits were a nice addition, but something a little more directly related to halloween would've been better. Even some brief dialogue or something.
Points for using Hollow World of God, but that's about it. The BGM suited her, not the actual contest, heh. No real garnishing effects either, so you got a mediocre score in this category as well.

Total: 17.5/30
Putting more effort in to this script would've led to a much better presentation, a more enjoyable script to play, and a much higher mark.

Onthenet's Review:

The danmaku ws good overall, but without any real highlights. First spell didn't require any real dodging.
Wasn't really Halloween themed at all aside from "oooh blood and spirits".
Style: 3/10
Nothing much to rate here, you just used a couple sprite rips, didn't make use of any effects. BGM was unfitting.

Total: 10/30

Drake's Review:

The noncards were great. Speed is controlled nicely and such and such. First card is really boring and lasts way too long, though. I simply had no idea what was going on in the second card. After a while I just bombed it.
Orange and black bullets? I guess?
Style: 3/10
Points for using HWoG, but that's about it.

Total: 10/30

Combined Total: 37.5/90

Kogasa's Halloween Surprise
By Onthenet

Naut's Review:

A very pretty script with a lovely Kogasa sprite and very fitting danmaku, but surprisingly little to do with halloween. Can't say I disliked the script, but it didn't really do it for me in the end. A few things could've used improvement, I guess.
You implimented very fitting danmaku for Kogasa, and even got in a bit of the halloween element with some orange bullets, but there wasn't much on the level of creativity here. You made a Kogasa script, nothing more as I see it.
Theme: 5.5/10
Yeah, an orange umbrella and a brief flurry of orange bullets doesn't really make this halloween themed. The first spellcard wasn't bad, with it's orange balls of death, but really, you could've linked the script and halloween a bit better.
Attacking animations for Kogasa were well scripted, and the spellcard backgrounds were at least suiting. But really, after that, there wasn't much garnishing involved other than "used Heleoplis' cut in script".

Total: 20.5/30
If you put a bit more effort into this script I think it would've been a good contestant for top 3. As of right now, there is nothing special about the script at all, just an average Kogasa script. Shouldn't take you much effort to transform this in to so much more.

Stuffman's Review:

Onthenet's script is rather straightforward in execution, it almost seems like a regular boss fight you would encounter in a touhou game.

In terms of pure danmaku, Onthenet's entry plays rather smooth compared to most entries. Headless Horseman was troublesome at first until I found out you had to actively go after the balls. Kudos for making a survival card that is actually still survivable at the end, most people can't seem to grasp how to do that! The designs are pretty simple though, none of the designs are really visually interesting.
Lacking in effort! If it weren't for the pumpkin-colored Kogasa I probably wouldn't have known this was supposed to be a Halloween script. No dialogue or gimmicks or anything of the sort.
I must admit I didn't "get" Poe Anthology at first, but I figured it out when The Pit and the Pendulum came in. That made me smile, so extra points for that. But overall, it's a pretty normal boss fight, if a decently designed one.

Drake's Review:

I think you did the opposite of everyone else; you made it too easy for the difficulty level. Should be slightly faster, a few more bullets. I liked it, but it was just really easy, even Lunatic. The survival ended how they all should; at a climax yet not forced bombspam.
Not very Halloweeny. Music was cool, Kogasa is orange, Poe is great.
Nice and pretty patterns, and Poe Anthology made me hnngggh.

Combined Total: 60.5/90

MotK Halloween Event
By Helepolis

Naut's Review:

What the hell da ze! This script has an absolutely amazing atmosphere, which is only emphisized by the wonderful use of graphics and sound effects. However, it's not perfect.
Design: 7.5/10
Damn lasers, cheap shot the hell out of me. It also took me a long time to realize the ghost that doesn't shoot the flurry of rainbow lasers is the real one to shoot at. Even after noticing that, the spell took a really, really long time to beat. Both of them, actually. Reimu A is pretty much necessary for this script (bad sign). Adjusting health values or making the danmaku more varied would've boosted your rating here.
Quite halloween-y! The danmaku itself did not reflect the theme very much, but the atmosphere of halloween was definately there.
Style: 9.5/10
Excellent use of effects through the whole script make this sex for the senses. Neither auditory nor visual output was ignored. That said, there was also nothing above and beyond what you could expect in a script. Nothing particularly special or "holy crap", which would've earned a 10.

Total: 27/30
Amazing script and a solid entry for the contest. Be sure to balance out your cheap shot danmaku and your healthbars (that first spell lasts way too long). Something different in terms of effects would've earned you a higher grade as well.

Onthenet's Review:

Well designed, but not particularly impressive attacks. Seemed like many small attacks pieced together at times. Too much health may be an issue.
Theme: 8/10
You went with a ghost theme and did everything to be expected of it. I don't know who would be afraid of ghosts in Gensokyo though (maybe Youmu?)
Funny conversation, great effects, blah blah. Not much to say here, but I was thoroughly impressed.

Drake's Review:

The ideas were nice, but the implementation was a bit iffy. First card took way too long even when the gimmick was figured out, and there are clipdeaths galore. Second card was better and Mystia-like.
Very halloweeny.
Style: 10/10
You pretty much took everything that you've done in danmakufu so far and crammed it in. Music is fitting, sound effects are fitting. Good job. The dialogue wasn't really needed and kind of detracted a bit, but there were no points lost here.

Combined Total: 77/90

Yamame's Heart-Pounding Danmaku Thrill Ride
By Stuffman

Naut's Review:

Fashionably late, Stuffman delivers an awesome entry that proves it was worth the wait. The use of his own custom graphics and sprites adds to the lovely atmosphere of the script. Not terribly heart-pounding mind you, but certainly nothing to shake a stick at.
Design: 9.5/10
Excellent danmaku, very fitting of the script and the theme. Wonderful spider bullets and danmaku patterns. Still felt kind of generic and expected, especially since it's Yamame, but nothing major enough worth nit-picking about.
Theme: 6.5/10
Where's the emphisis on halloween!? Scary scripts are great and I guess it'll keep you in the halloween mood, but there really isn't much here that's actually telling of halloween itself. Even mentioning it in the dialogue would've helped!
Custom graphics and creative gimmicks add significant points to the style of this script. The BGM was well chosen for Yamame (being an arrage of her theme), and the effects were varied enough to be entertaining. Nothing that says "wow", but that's nothing to worry about.

Total: 26/30
More emphasis on halloween, rather than just Yamame and her spideriness, would've made this script amazing!

Onthenet's Review:

Nonspells had a lot of variety, but spells seemed a bit dull by comparison. The beginning of the second nonspell was particularly well done.
You seem stuck between a scary spider theme and a fun thrill ride theme? It seems like kind of a jumble, but it works.
Custom graphics, well drawn cutins, and 3D background were all great. Spider skull was a nice touch.

Total: 24/30

Drake's Review:

I'm sorry I didn't play your entry before now. This is pretty great. The web card is great, but needs to scrap the random shots and use a pattern. This goes for the rest of the script, too. Less random randomness, more concentrated patterns with slight random changes to make it constantly different.
Thrill ride fuck yeah.
Once again, thrill ride. Nice twist, and I loved the spider web patterns. The first card was pretty disorienting for some reason. Sweet and simple, and I'm glad you ended it with Kisume instead of just cutting it there. Not anything bad about it, but it was just missing a few things.

Combined Total: 75/90

Luna Boss
By Bluemoon and Lishy

Naut's Review:

This well-made script is an excellent stand-alone playthrough, however doesn't really reflect the theme of halloween at all.
Design: 10/10
Varied and interesting, the danmaku in this script is top notch. Fun to play and very creative, many people could stand to learn from Bluemoon's precident.
Theme: 4/10
No mention of halloween anywhere, the only points earned here are from the creepy tones and the fact that the character is a vampire. As far as I can tell, it's just a normal script submitted to a halloween contest.
Lishy did an excellent job with the graphics, but the BGM needs to be something other than a Touhou rip. Even an arrange of Shinki's theme would've been fine... The PC98 sound doesn't really suit the script either, other than "it's a final boss' theme".

Total: 23/10
An amazing script in and of itself, but doesn't really qualify as a halloween themed contest entry. Adding more emphisis on a halloween theme would've made this script top tier. Even just saying something like "it's halloween and my powers are stronger tonight!" or something really corny like that would've given you more points for theme!

Onthenet's Review:

Lots of great concepts here. I loved the spiral darkness effect, but the increasing speed didn't really do much aside from make my eyes hurt. The black/white part of first spell is a bit unfair, forcing you to find a way into a field of spawning bullets.
Theme: 4/10
Not really any mention of Halloween at all.
Custom graphics and amazing 3D BG were impressive. Only part that could have been better was BGM choice, wasn't really intense enough to fit the fight.

Drake's Review:

Very well-made. I haven't paid much attention to you guys before, but this is pretty good. I found that you put in two or more patterns in everything, which kind of seemed like a cheap excuse to add patterns. Luckily, for each non/card, I only thought one of the patterns were really good, so they kind of cancel themselves out <3
In particular though, I like the disorienting last part of Uzumaki (derp spiral). Hitboxes of those spiral bubbles need to be fixed, too.
Not very Halloweeny per se, but still, Vampires and all that jazz.
Very nice style. Scrolling background is one thing that makes this different from the others. The ring of fire/whatever is really cool-looking too. Again, fairly well-made

The OC makes me want to kill babies. Rage-inducing in the not-good kind of way.

Combined Total: 65/90

GFS
By Naut

Stuffman's Review:

Naut's script falls into the category of being great fun to watch, but not being something you want to play yourself. This is a script that actively tries to kill you. Though in Naut's defense, it probably wouldn't have the same effect if it was easy to beat on your first try.

This script is basically Naut being Naut. Like Onthenet, I had to go in and turn off Expert just so I could see the whole thing. You seem forced to die at least once, or at least if there are ways to get around it, they're not at all intuitive. Turning off bombs didn't help! Aside from dodging the spider's body, the actual danmaku parts seem to play alright. The white glob attack is the most interesting to play, I think.
Naut gets considerable points for making the straight-up scariest script (even if there were others trying to be scary, his would win in that respect).
I have to say, looking in the code for this thing, the spider is quite a feat of danmaku engineering. I was genuinely impressed with the smooth movements of the spider, the way it splattered Mystia against the frame, and the way it was able to climb all around the screen. Naut also somehow managed to find one of the freakiest techno songs ever, and the spinny background and lighting effects made the ambience perfect.

TOTAL: 23/30

Onthenet's Review:

Design: 2/10
OMFGHOLYSHIT AAAAAAA WHY GOD WHY (read: entering a continue disabled/bomb disabled lunatic++ script for a normal difficulty contest is bad)
Genuinely scary and surprising. You didn't bother with Halloween colors or anything and went for pure shock factor.
Amazingly coded, very atmospheric music, awesome effects.

Total: 22/30

Drake's Review:

All-around, the danmaku was nice. I like how Mystia pushes you into the side where GFS comes out of. But the first attack is incredibly hard to dodge and forcing Expert wasn't really the greatest idea considering most people can't make it all the way to the end. It could be much better just with some criticism from other viewpoints, though.
Theme: This scared the fuck out of me/10
as in 10/10
Background = sex, entirety of GFS = sex. Blood spatter = sex. For all Stage 2 bosses everywhere = sex. Although, there's still something missing.

Combined Total: 60/90

<@Onthenet> we forgot to judge alwaysthe9
<@Onthenet> quick give me a good excuse for him to be disqualified
<puremrz> Not enough boobs?

Alwaysthe⑨ has been disqualified due to lack of boobs.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 09:53:30 PM by Onthenet »

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #141 on: November 03, 2009, 08:47:37 PM »
Neeeaaat.

(That's ⑨, not 9.)

When's the next contest?

Boredr people?

Anyways, yay! Lack of boobs!

Wait, that means I don't even get an award for suckiest script?

Edit: How many times have I edited this post anyways.
Edit: Did having a hard script fun?
Edit: Someone say something.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 08:58:48 PM by AlwaysThe⑨ »

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
Re: RESULTS
« Reply #142 on: November 03, 2009, 09:16:08 PM »
Trick or Treat
By Iryan

Naut's Review:

What can be said, really. You couldn't even play your own script, haha!
I have no idea how to rate this fairly!
Colors supposed to reflect candy? I dunno. Should've made orange bullets all over the place to increase your score, haha!
Style: 1/10
Single point awarded for having no idea what your script would look like before submitting it!

Total: 5/30
Get Danmakufu working!

Onthenet's Review:

Design: 1/10
Blindspots that would make Icicle Fall - Easy look hard.
By the same logic, China would be the scariest boss in EoSD.
Style: 2/10
2 points for not knowing what your script looks like YEAAAAHHHHH

Total: 4/30

Drake's Review:

Total: 5/10
I can't really judge this at all...

Combined Total: 14/90
Haha, first place from behind! My perfidious plan played out perfectly!  :V

Okay, I didn't really expect anything else. I guess the acceleration of the bullets was so high that the boss wouldn't throw them up high enough to prevent you from sitting it out at the top, right? Well, I hope at least it looks somewhat pretty and is neither utter bs nor loleasy when doing it the way its supposed to be done. Probably failed at that too, though. I honestly don't know.

Anyways, congrats to Helepolis, Stuffman and Thaws!  :toot:
Hopefully I can play your scripts soon, too.

My problem: danmakufu seems to not work on Win2k at all due to not having the possibility of japanese setting. I already bought me some Windows XP, but that one somehow refused to be installed on my hard drive for no adequately explored reason. Windows ME and Vista are not options.

The big question is: Does anyone of you have experience with danmakufu and Windows 7? That could really become an option for me right now...
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
Re: Danmakufu Contest 1 - Halloween! (Results!)
« Reply #143 on: November 03, 2009, 09:27:42 PM »
LACK OF BOOBS SAVED ME.

« Reply #144 on: November 03, 2009, 10:09:56 PM »
Well I guess this means I'm not pressured to finish soon :V

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #145 on: November 03, 2009, 10:19:04 PM »
I think we need another one next year. Maybe one for Christmas. Heh heh.

« Reply #146 on: November 03, 2009, 10:19:53 PM »
Maybe one for Christmas.
That would be nice because I wouldn't have to be working on other projects at the same time :/

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #147 on: November 03, 2009, 10:26:18 PM »
That would be nice because I wouldn't have to be working on other projects at the same time :/
I got a month and a bit for it, and I want to enter a Christmas Danmakufu contest, but it seems I don't have time until after Dec 11... Arg.

Drake

« Reply #148 on: November 03, 2009, 10:35:12 PM »
[21:19] <Naut> I think if there is another contest somewhere down the road, i think the focus should be on the danmaku
[21:20] <Naut> I wont win the next contest either, guarenteed
 :-[[21:20] <Drake> prob christmas or w/e
[21:20] <Naut> Id expect so.
[21:21] <Naut> Anyways, the focus needs to be more on danmaku

etc

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #149 on: November 03, 2009, 11:20:54 PM »
I didn't expect to win, honestly; I was using this as a learning experience. Plus, I wanted to see if I could recreate some of Komachi's SWR attacks (that's why there were so many purple fire bullets; they represented spirits). Guess that's something I can improve on later. :V

Also, I have Iryan to thank for his help on the nonspell; I couldn't get the sinusoidal bullets working right on my own.

Congrats to all the entrants!