Author Topic: Touhou 14 - 東方輝針城 ~ Double Dealing Character (Demo)  (Read 427950 times)

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
Re: Touhou 14 - 東方輝針城 ~ Double Dealing Character (Demo)
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2013, 04:25:09 PM »
This seems to be the first big hint at the source of the problem. Could our villain be a leader stirring up the proletariat into rebellion?
Oh shit

As for the TD music thing: I kind of liked TD's music and kind of didn't; it was great while in-game but a lot of it felt lackluster to listen to on its own?  We'll see how this entry feels in time I guess

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2013, 04:27:02 PM »
The game laaaaaaags for me.
Dude, I use Linux - I can't even open custom.exe. Fortunately my room-mate has a Windows machine, so I'm jumping between the two computers, trying different configurations to see what could reduce lag.

If anyone feels like sharing how to reduce lag, please share.

Through Youkai Grassroots Network.
FINALLY! Class struggle in Gensokyo! For so long I have said that the Spellcard Rules oppress the youkai while giving the humans privilege, the elitist bourgeois that they are. How long, brothers and sisters, how long will we stand for this inequity? Youkai of Gensokyo, unite! You have nothing to lose but your chains (and possibly your lives)!

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
  • Git ready, git set, PUUSH!
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2013, 04:37:45 PM »
Dude, I use Linux - I can't even open custom.exe. Fortunately my room-mate has a Windows machine, so I'm jumping between the two computers, trying different configurations to see what could reduce lag.

I couldn't open it either. Using Wine 1.5.27 b/c 1.5.30 breaks Danmakufu.

Tengukami

« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2013, 04:55:03 PM »
Well, after jumping back and forth between Windows Comp and Linux Comp, I think I found the configuration that best reduces lag. And because all I can see are "?????????????????????????" with each option, I don't really know what I'm picking here. I basically checked and unchecked everything, one option at a time, until I found the best combination.

In the end, the only changes I made are:

1. Selecting the bottom option for the CPU thingy.
2. Selecting "1/2" where it lets you pick 1/1, 1/2 or 1/3.

This gives me relatively consistent speed, i.e., from like 52 to 60 FPS.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

OtakuGray

• It's time to D-D-D-DANMAKU!
  • When you lose your way, you can blame the fairies
    • BecauselmGray - AMVs, Replays, Etc...
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2013, 05:10:42 PM »
Wait, did Sekibanki just DETACH her head?

Could she be a Nukekubi by any chance?

ToyoRai

• Head But No Tail
  • I am still here. Sometimes.
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2013, 05:15:44 PM »
Could she be a Nukekubi by any chance?
This is a weird thing. You see, her species is listed as being rokurokubi which, as you can guess, is really weird considering her ability to detach her head rather than make her neck elastic. Then again, her title is "Bizarreness of the Rokurokubi", so it might be intensional.

OtakuGray

• It's time to D-D-D-DANMAKU!
  • When you lose your way, you can blame the fairies
    • BecauselmGray - AMVs, Replays, Etc...
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2013, 05:19:52 PM »
This is a weird thing. You see, her species is listed as being rokurokubi which, as you can guess, is really weird considering her ability to detach her head rather than make her neck elastic. Then again, her title is "Bizarreness of the Rokurokubi", so it might be intensional.

That is strange. Maybe it's ZUN's way of referencing Hearn because according to the wiki on Nukekubi, " Lafcadio Hearn relates that the Nukekubi can be misidentified as Rokurokubi."

Validon98

• Deathguard Night Sparrow
  • Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2013, 05:24:36 PM »
So, impressions from the demo! I played through on Hard with Reimu Possessed/A, but I've also dabbled a bit with the other shottypes. Reimu Possessed, by the way, is awesome. Finally the gohei is used in a shottype, and I love the bomb. It even rocks Reimu back and forth when you use it, as if Reimu has to struggle to hold on. Nice touch there, ZUN.
It seems like we'll be visiting some pretty familiar places as well. When I heard Stage 3's theme, I was a little surprised that ZUN made another Theme of Eastern Story remix for it, but it shouldn't come off as too much of a surprise.
The gameplay seemed to be somewhat easy on Normal, hence why I skipped straight to Hard. Of course, the Stage 3 boss caught me totally off guard. I had to resort to swinging that fricking bigass gohei like it was going out of style. Nevertheless, it's all good fun.
Finally, the system of this game is pretty nice. I really like how you can go to the top of the screen and just go nuts collecting resources. Of course, a lot of my deaths were from doing that, so it's very much risk-reward.
All in all, I really like the game so far and I can't wait for the full version. This is certainly going to be something good.
Derping at Touhou since June 2012, derping at RPing Touhou since Feburary 2013.

Devil of Decline Partial English Gameplay Patch!
Let's Play Nightmare of Rebellion!

OkashiiKisei

• Still working on the Grimoire
  • It's all about devotion
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2013, 05:27:13 PM »
Youkai Grassroots Network.
I actually thought that meant that youkai's answer to internet/telephones was magical long-distance communication through grass. :ohdear: Kinda like how elephants communicate on long-distance through earth vibrations.

Kingault

• Insert witty description here.
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2013, 05:42:25 PM »

FINALLY! Class struggle in Gensokyo! For so long I have said that the Spellcard Rules oppress the youkai while giving the humans privilege, the elitist bourgeois that they are. How long, brothers and sisters, how long will we stand for this inequity? Youkai of Gensokyo, unite! You have nothing to lose but your chains (and possibly your lives)!

It's not like all youkai follow those rules for all humans they eat, eh?(PMiSS/PostMyst reveal as much in character profiles)

Yukari once said bad things happen when humans gather. The same goes for youkai, but much worse can happen should they gather.
But the question is, who is causing these rebellions? Who is causing these weapon malfunctions?
The answer is obvious.
Liquid Ocelot is utilizing Guns of the Patriots and Sons of the Patriots in Gensokyo, and Armstrong will be the Extra boss.
It's either that, or Mima became some uber-poltergeist or something.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 05:49:52 PM by Kingault »

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2013, 05:43:38 PM »
OK, this is going to go straight into speculation territory but I just want to get this theory out here.

So the characters have all had their weapons possessed and powered up. When they use these possessed weapons they seem almost possessed themselves, showing levels of aggression that seem unusual even for Gensokyo's standards. Without the weapons they're much calmer and making an effort to solve the problem rather than just beat down everyone.

At the same time, a group of docile youkai has risen up in rebellion - supposedly acting on their own terms, but with their actions too in-sync to be coincidental. The only clue we have as to why is that one mention of the Youkai Grassroots Network, which we know at least two of our current bosses have been involved in.

Now, based on those two points, here's my theory - the culprit is responsible for the weapon possession and inciting the revolution because, for some reason, they will benefit from war between humans and youkai. This is the meaning behind the title - Double Dealing Character, because the villain is goading on both sides at the same time. Why I'm not sure, but given the kanji title my suspicion is that it's something demonic.

Obviously very little of this is based in fact so far and I'm mainly throwing it out so that if I'm right I will be able to feel like the smartest person on earth for about a week.

Kingault

« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2013, 05:45:10 PM »
Now, based on those two points, here's my theory - the culprit is responsible for the weapon possession and inciting the revolution because, for some reason, they will benefit from war between humans and youkai. This is the meaning behind the title - Double Dealing Character, because the villain is goading on both sides at the same time. Why I'm not sure, but given the kanji title my suspicion is that it's something demonic.

Obviously very little of this is based in fact so far and I'm mainly throwing it out so that if I'm right I will be able to feel like the smartest person on earth for about a week.

War economy, eh?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 05:50:26 PM by Kingault »

ToyoRai

• Head But No Tail
  • I am still here. Sometimes.
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2013, 05:45:20 PM »
Liquid Ocelot is utilizing Guns of the Patriots of Sons of the Patriots in Gensokyo, and Armstrong will be the Extra boss.
It's either that, or Mima became some uber-poltergeist or something.
Give Suika her gourd back. It is obvious you have been drinking way too much all this time.
Also, why it is always Mima? Didn't PC-98 already have one poltergeist character?

Kingault

« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2013, 05:47:17 PM »
Give Suika her gourd back. It is obvious you have been drinking way too much all this time.
Also, why it is always Mima? Didn't PC-98 already have one poltergeist character?

Maybe ZUN decided to make them into one character.
Shh......

Tengukami

« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2013, 06:00:34 PM »
This sounds totally plausible and ZUNesque. I'm sold.

« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2013, 06:28:26 PM »
That is strange. Maybe it's ZUN's way of referencing Hearn because according to the wiki on Nukekubi, " Lafcadio Hearn relates that the Nukekubi can be misidentified as Rokurokubi."

That would be pretty funny if that were true.

Reimu: And there was a Rokurokubi that detached its head!  Rokurokubis aren't supposed to be able to do that!

Aya: To get to the bottom of this, we decided to ask resident youkai expert, one Miss Yukari Yakumo.

Yukari: Rokurokubi have always been able to detach their heads.

Aya: I really do not believe so many people could made a mistake about this ability of such a common youkai that lives among humans.

Yukari: Certainly, that is why I am the resident youkai expert, and they are not.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2013, 06:35:24 PM »
I am in love. This is definitely the best first half of any Touhou game to date. My one and only complaint is that there is input lag, which is unfortunate because 10D was the first game since PC-98 that didn't require a vsync patch on my end, but that will be fixed eventually. In the mean time, good fun on all three stages, a score/survival mechanic that actually encourages you to play the game, and pulse-pounding music. This could shape up to be one of the best in the series if the second half continues this momentum. :D
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

The Noodles Guy

• Flip the screen
  • What if Seija met a guy with bipolar disease?
« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2013, 06:44:42 PM »
So just played the demo with all characters on Easy :V

The game looks amazing, but Kagerou's last spell is ughhhhh.
Easy Modo? That's for kids, and for me.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2013, 06:45:17 PM »
That is quite a well thought out speculation Rou. Mainly because it is true that there seems to be corruption going on and making the girls aggressive. Beautiful.

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2013, 06:49:56 PM »
Just beat the game on easy. Didn't die once!  :V

I am so drawing Kagerou.

Aba Matindesu!

• keep it gwiyoming
  • DASEU RAESISSEU
« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2013, 07:06:22 PM »
Oh gawd, the game absolutely AWESOME. It's absolutely perfect for POC whores like myself, and both stage and boss gimmicks are just... :o

That said, I kind of think the soundtrack's rather meh compared to most of the series. They're fine on their own, but I don't see them being remixed anytime soon. I'd say the best themes were Sekibanki's and Stage 3. Wakasagihime's and Kagerou's were passable.

teets mi hao 2 2hu teets mi teets mi hao 2 2hu

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2013, 07:10:53 PM »
So MarisaB's bomb is fucking ridiculous.

Died? Have three fresh bombs. Use them to get 2.0 life pieces effortlessly. Extend get. Ran out of broken bombs? Commit suicide.

The best part is that the bomb acts as a shield until it's gone. You can spam it against bosses and have no fear for your life whatsoever. If ZUN is going to raise the number of life pieces needed for a life, it's because of this.

Kingault

« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2013, 07:16:35 PM »
I'm willing to bet that Roe's speculation will prove to be true.
It fits what's happening in the demo perfectly.
I wonder, who will the culprit be? What Youkai/mythological being could she be based on?

Qwertyzxcv

• yas
  • k!
« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2013, 07:40:56 PM »
Normal mode is too easy and Lunatic is too hard. The spells aren't really that fun, and they aren't that amazing. It lags and crashed twice. Im happy there is Cirno, the first character is cute, the second one's head?...and the third one's head looks, weird. The music is REALLY boring, I wish ZUN went back to PCB or IN style music...  :(
Dissapointment  :ohdear:
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 07:47:11 PM by Qwertyzxcv »

« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2013, 07:47:31 PM »
Hereby my expectations:

- The final boss will be a third deva. The japanese title, kishinjou, means 'Shining needle castle' written like it is, but with other kanji, it could mean 'Oni god castle'
- The final boss of this game is also responsible for the events of 13.5. In Miko's storyline, she mentions that Kokoro is actually a tsukumogami originating from the masks of Kawakatsu no Hata.
In the prologue of Double Dealing Character, it is mentioned that the main character's weapons are also becoming tsukumogami.
- Kokoro might reappear in this game, since she has the ability to control emotions, which is what seems to be happening to the main characters using their 'cursed' weapons.

LadyScarlet

• Too lazy to make this a gif right now
  • Still scumming for a good pull
« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2013, 07:48:32 PM »
Did you all go to Reitaisai and get your copies? I want to play this game.

Cirno's artwork reminds me of a picture I drew long ago:
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 08:00:33 PM by LadyScarlet »
My Youtube Channel. I mostly upload Hisoutensoku videos.

Tengukami

« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2013, 08:08:24 PM »
OK I know I asked this before, but all I heard was "just because, it looks weird", so let me ask again:

What is so wrong about Cirno? Because I'm not seeing it. There's nothing, to me, about her proportions that makes this Cirno design so much more derp than any other Cirno that ZUN has done before. So you artistic experts out there, break it down for me, please. Am I nuts? Why does her sprite look totally fine to me? What's wrong with how she's drawn?

And please don't say "head too big for torso" because come on. That's par for the course with ZUN.

« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2013, 08:14:10 PM »
OK I know I asked this before, but all I heard was "just because, it looks weird", so let me ask again:

What is so wrong about Cirno? Because I'm not seeing it. There's nothing, to me, about her proportions that makes this Cirno design so much more derp than any other Cirno that ZUN has done before. So you artistic experts out there, break it down for me, please. Am I nuts? Why does her sprite look totally fine to me? What's wrong with how she's drawn?

And please don't say "head too big for torso" because come on. That's par for the course with ZUN.

I thought it was the mindless expression she has.

The Noodles Guy

• Flip the screen
  • What if Seija met a guy with bipolar disease?
« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2013, 08:15:07 PM »
There's nothing wrong with Cirno!
Easy Modo? That's for kids, and for me.

Zil

« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2013, 08:15:34 PM »
Well, ZUN did the boss sprites differently before. It wasn't just the ZUNart pasted into the game but instead looked more like the player sprites. Look at Cirno's PoFV or StB appearances for example. (Looks much better imo.)

By the way, is the demo something you can download for free, or will it eventually become one? If so, how long does it take?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 08:17:20 PM by Pmasterfunk »