Author Topic: STG Thread Stage 4 ~ Like the Night of Hunting Bees  (Read 137310 times)

Matsuri

Re: STG Thread Stage 4 ~ Like the Night of Hunting Bees
« Reply #660 on: April 19, 2010, 05:42:05 PM »
Dunno. It won't be for a couple weeks, so there's time to figure it out.

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #661 on: April 19, 2010, 05:46:03 PM »
Gragh, never got around to improving my score after all. :< Definitely agreeing with waiting a few weeks for the next game; things are too hectic for me to get much playing in right now.

...So how about FEVER for the next game?
Let's fight.

Bananamatic

« Reply #662 on: April 19, 2010, 05:47:23 PM »
Let's pick a game with decent scoring
No enemy chaining
No medal chaining
No milking
No Raizing
No Psikyo

The next week is decided.

Spoiler:
Space Invaders.

« Reply #663 on: April 19, 2010, 06:06:49 PM »
Medal Chaining is one of the few chaining types I even like.

Is there even a game where milking is impossible?

How about no on the Fever. That game is even more BS than Dodonpachi. Let's make everything move so quickly that you can't dodge worth shit. At least that's the impression I'm getting from vids.

Yet again, I'll suggest a Konami Week or Doujin Week. But that'll be a while.

Matsuri

« Reply #664 on: April 19, 2010, 06:09:03 PM »
Doujin week sounds kinda cool, imo :3

Bananamatic

« Reply #665 on: April 19, 2010, 06:09:25 PM »
In Fever, Cave was atleast nice enough to make the bullets actually visible unlike your average Raizing game.

But it's still brutal rape with Psikyo extends.

« Reply #666 on: April 19, 2010, 06:11:05 PM »
Doujin Week's fine as long as it's not Touhou. Because we have Touhou scoreboards as is. Anything Touhou would need to be banned from those weeks. We should already have ones for fangames, but we don't.

And no Cave clones, please.

Bananamatic

« Reply #667 on: April 19, 2010, 06:11:33 PM »
Doujin Week's fine as long as it's not Touhou. Because we have Touhou scoreboards as is. Anything Touhou would need to be banned from those weeks. We should already have ones for fangames, but we don't.

And no Cave clones, please.
And we're left with Space Phallus.

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #668 on: April 19, 2010, 06:16:02 PM »
How about no on the Fever. That game is even more BS than Dodonpachi. Let's make everything move so quickly that you can't dodge worth shit. At least that's the impression I'm getting from vids.
Having played them both pretty often, I'm failing to notice which parts of either of these games are bullshit, unless your definition of bullshit is 'fast bullets'. :V Mind enlightening me?
Let's fight.

« Reply #669 on: April 19, 2010, 06:19:44 PM »
Dodonpachi, Walling

Feveron, your movement speed.

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #670 on: April 19, 2010, 06:26:13 PM »
Dodonpachi, Walling

Feveron, your movement speed.
If you get walled in DDP, it's either because you failed to misdirect the bullets properly or because you failed to destroy enough enemies or possibly that one part of 2-5 on a bad day ;_;. I'm confident there's not a single section of that game that will wall you provided you do the segments properly; the perfect 2-alls that have been achieved by Japanese players probably wouldn't be possible otherwise.

Feveron's movement... well, I can see how it might annoy you, but it's not what I'd call unfair/bullshit; it just requires a different playstyle. It's not like you don't have the choice of being a little slower if it comes to that, anyway. :V
Let's fight.

« Reply #671 on: April 19, 2010, 06:34:31 PM »
if it wasn't for the "no milking", I'd say that Phantasm Romance 2.5 Plus would qualify (I'd suggest the Another Mode, because it allows the player to play through more stages, but Normal Mode should be good enough as well). Though even the milking is very minimal, I think (just grazing Aya's streams on her initial attack and grazing certain fairies' streams before that, iirc, since it seems that graze counts that are multiples of 250 clear all bullets on the screen during stages and nonspells..).

Also, Varth has a very simple "enemy chaining", entirely limited to chaining the formations of white planes (which remind you of 1942), whenever you find them, so, they're not as important as getting far in the game (plus, it's not difficult to kill the entire formation, even though surviving is difficult, because most of the times, they stay on the screen for long enough). There's absolutely no item chaining involved, and there are rewards for finishing stages without using the protective Pods (which both block common bullets -- this means, no flame throwers, no destructable missiles and no lasers :p -- and give you additional firepower) and rewards for carrying bombs. These are recharged automatically over time, and the game encourages you to play aggressively (so you will be using bombs to destroy enemies faster, or to prevent masses of weaker enemies from attacking first, or to save yourself). This game is so intense, that you will sometimes take advantage of invulnerability time given by point items if you can't/don't want to use a bomb. (no need for me to reiterate that this game demands as much attention from me, than playing Dodonpachi with Max Bombs bonus going on, I think :p)

The only two remarks that I should make about Varth, is that it's recommended to play with Autofire enabled (because the default fire rate is just not good enough, unlike in RFJ and Air Gallet, I think, and you'll really need firepower if you don't want to be overwhelmed). The second remark, is that the recommended version is the World version, because the Japanese version has checkpoints, I heard.. ( thus, the optimal scoring for this game would be to kill the final boss, receive bonus, die, and repeat. Plus, I don't know how well does this game play for score, *with* checkpoints.. )

So, I'll support Feveron (if I've understood Sapz's request correctly) if you guys support me on these two games someday :p  (even though I liked Thunder Dragon 2 as well, I can see people having troubles with hard-to-see bullets :p)
neku: now for something important.
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.

?lice Bl?ckb?rn

• The real Alice Blackbarn!
  • "OH DESIRE"
« Reply #672 on: April 19, 2010, 06:48:47 PM »
Feveron's movement is hardly bullshit - Speed 3 is quite playable, and even Speed 4 is perfectly fine given the general sparsity of the bullets (though Speed 4 makes the final boss hurt a lot in comparison, he basically turns into chain-bombing unless you're really good).

As for getting walled, the only time you really even CAN get walled in is in the latter half of stage 4, which can be a bitch, but again this is literally the only point in the game where getting walled in is even actually POSSIBLE, so yeah. :P

Anyway, voting the shit out of this game, and sure I will support shadowbringer on your suggestions at a later time if we get your support (and everyone else's).
"Oh, great. Another game where I get screwed by Kilga." ~ Carthrat

Bananamatic

« Reply #673 on: April 19, 2010, 07:03:04 PM »
+1 to feveron

also is it just me or does the commentator shout "DICKS!" every time you bomb?

?lice Bl?ckb?rn

• The real Alice Blackbarn!
  • "OH DESIRE"
« Reply #674 on: April 19, 2010, 07:05:30 PM »
+1 to feveron

also is it just me or does the commentator shout "DICKS!" every time you bomb?
It's actually "DANCING" or "FEVER" or "<something else for ship C, I've never used it>" depending on which of ships A/B/C you use, FWIW.
"Oh, great. Another game where I get screwed by Kilga." ~ Carthrat

Alice Fact

• Kingdom Hearts
  • let's play shintopuncher
« Reply #675 on: April 19, 2010, 07:10:14 PM »
we have a chance to play Dangun

do it, fgts
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 07:12:47 PM by Kazami no Lite »
Regarding score threads: For the time being, I'm not going to be online much; I would suggest that you simply do as you normally do, because I will come back and I will want those threads when I do.

Bananamatic

« Reply #676 on: April 19, 2010, 07:12:52 PM »
ship A always says DICKS for me

What do you hear?

Alice Fact

• Kingdom Hearts
« Reply #677 on: April 19, 2010, 07:14:53 PM »
well ship A is a dick so

also ship A sucks don't use it
Regarding score threads: For the time being, I'm not going to be online much; I would suggest that you simply do as you normally do, because I will come back and I will want those threads when I do.

Bananamatic

« Reply #678 on: April 19, 2010, 07:17:43 PM »
well ship A is a dick so

also ship A sucks don't use it
A with 4 speed is the only correct way to play

« Reply #679 on: April 19, 2010, 07:18:08 PM »
Guys, you all realize we only have four Cave games left on MAME that we could possibly vote for... well actually three since no one is going to vote for Donpachi anytime soon except for maybe me. What are we all gonna do once we've played them all?  I think we should ration the few Cave games we have left for like a special occasion or something.  Seconding Doujin Week.

Oh, and a question:  when/if we eventually do doujin week, will we be limiting it solely to freeware games or to anything?

Alice Fact

• Kingdom Hearts
« Reply #680 on: April 19, 2010, 07:19:24 PM »
lol

it's B or C with speed 4

« Reply #681 on: April 19, 2010, 07:19:39 PM »

You got it wrong mang:
-C ship, roll weapon, 4 speed
-Stay in top half of screen at all times
-Fly around recklessly with no regards for safety

YEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Alice Fact

• Kingdom Hearts
« Reply #682 on: April 19, 2010, 07:20:34 PM »
@Azinth: yay get rid of all the CAVE games so we can play everything else FINALLY

yeah let's play fucking Dogyuun sometime

Bananamatic

« Reply #683 on: April 19, 2010, 07:25:12 PM »
does anyone actually like donpachi

the only good thing is the stage 1 theme

An Odd Sea Slug

• Not here, but not really there.
  • Only the best.
    • You can save the world by clicking this link!
« Reply #684 on: April 19, 2010, 07:52:36 PM »
Donpachi is actually decent for stages 1-3, and the music is quite good. I like it a little better than DoDonpachi's soundtrack to be honest.

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #685 on: April 19, 2010, 07:55:51 PM »
Just played Dangun on a whim, game over on the Stage 4 boss. Continued, 7 death clear overall (3cc). Could have been a 2cc if I'd cut out the deaths with bombs in stock.

Now my arm and my reflexes hurt. @_@
does anyone actually like donpachi

the only good thing is the stage 1 theme
Last time I played DP I was thinking 'Hey, this is actually pretty fun' and no-death'd the first three stages. Then Stage 4 came along and ate a load of credits. :V
Let's fight.

« Reply #686 on: April 19, 2010, 08:09:42 PM »
I thought about suggesting Dangun Feveron yesterday but I'm on the fence about it due to how ill it makes me whenever I play it. I'll need to keep a bottle of Advil handy during that week.

Guys, you all realize we only have four Cave games left on MAME that we could possibly vote for... well actually three since no one is going to vote for Donpachi anytime soon except for maybe me. What are we all gonna do once we've played them all?  I think we should ration the few Cave games we have left for like a special occasion or something.  Seconding Doujin Week.

Oh, and a question:  when/if we eventually do doujin week, will we be limiting it solely to freeware games or to anything?

If we go for freeware-only games we'll probably end up playing a Cave clone or some kind of boring Kenta Cho-like abstract shooter. Like what happened with SGTG last year: They all had to sit there and play nomltest for a week, ensuring that no doujin will be seen in another tournament again. :V I wouldn't mind Patriot Dark, actually; but, it's a Cave clone and has a bunch of unlocks that not everyone will have access to right off the bat, so yeah...

« Reply #687 on: April 19, 2010, 08:15:54 PM »
If we go for freeware-only games we'll probably end up playing a Cave clone or some kind of boring Kenta Cho-like abstract shooter. Like what happened with SGTG last year: They all had to sit there and play nomltest for a week, ensuring that no doujin will be seen in another tournament again. :V I wouldn't mind Patriot Dark, actually; but, it's a Cave clone and has a bunch of unlocks that not everyone will have access to right off the bat, so yeah...

tbh I was mostly just wondering if I'd be allowed to suggest Banshiryuu or not. ^_^

I want to have a beautiful bombing festival in the sky~

« Reply #688 on: April 19, 2010, 08:39:26 PM »
I want to have a beautiful bombing festival in the sky~

What the fuck was that, is he bombing pretty much everything? If this is how the game plays out I'm voting it down.

Feveron next, Crimson Clover for Doujin week, since it's totally the only other doujin shmup I can remember playing. Shit it's not out yet I hate everything :(
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 08:41:25 PM by Naut »

Bananamatic

« Reply #689 on: April 19, 2010, 09:32:43 PM »
DAT GIGAFACER

yeah mushi, you can have your bullet density
yeah touhou, have your complex patterns

but the deadliest attack which makes even the best cry is a goddamn simple spiral wave

anyways, does dimahoo give any extends