Author Topic: STG Thread Stage 4 ~ Like the Night of Hunting Bees  (Read 137319 times)

Re: STG Thread Stage 4 ~ Like the Night of Hunting Bees
« Reply #570 on: April 15, 2010, 05:53:11 PM »
Normal is the default arcade difficulty, so stick with that.  For pretty much any arcade game, you'll want to play on all defaults.

Though iirc the difficulty settings in DDP only affect how fast the rank maxes out, so it doesn't make much difference anyway.

« Reply #571 on: April 15, 2010, 06:26:28 PM »
Die with 5 bombs in stock, die with 6 bombs in stock, die with 3 bombs in stock.

You don't even need extends when the game is this generous with bombs. It'd still be nice to have them though.

Edit: Should probably go grind Sim 30, Sim 45, Real Battle 1, Real Battle 2 in training some just in case I get that path on one of my runs. And Real Battle could obviously use grinding.

Got to Real battle on my previous run with 1-5-15-20-40-Ph1 path due to screwing up Sim 15 badly.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 07:20:57 PM by Enigma »

An Odd Sea Slug

• Not here, but not really there.
  • Only the best.
    • You can save the world by clicking this link!
« Reply #572 on: April 15, 2010, 08:10:53 PM »
So, I got DoDonPachi to work! The problem was that I forgot I had to put in credits so it didn't let me do anything until then (thanks guys~).

Then came HOLY FUCK

Perfected the first two stages blind, then died twice on Stage 3, then ended up having to continue right before I got to the Stage 4 boss. Ended up with a 5cc because I can't see shit on Stage 5 and the boss cheats :V

This game is really fun, I wanna 1cc this...is there a way to change the difficulty? It says Normal on the title screen...are the other difficulties just the second loop or whatever it is?

Heh, yesterday I managed to somehow no-miss stages 1-3, and would've done the same with four if not for two rather retarded mistakes. You'll find that stages 3 & 5 are the hardest in the game (imo). I still can't figure out what you're even supposed to do for five. I can tell you that the boss however is rather exploitable and can be outright trivialized once you know the tricks:

*Go up to the side of it when he unleashes the suppository globes: they'll follow you downward, allowing you to knock them out with your laser easily.

*His standard attack has a nice safe zone to the middle-right (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_aFQk1TGmU#t=7m40s). Once you figure it out, it is seriously no threat.

*The trick to dodging the Okuubombs is to pay attention to where the big bombs are about to drop and move accordingly, quite fun. Or you could spreadbomb and fly up to the boss' head for a very convenient safe spot (gg CAVE :V).
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 08:54:19 PM by Odda C. »

« Reply #573 on: April 15, 2010, 09:18:27 PM »
Tried Sim 45 in Practice. I can't even see many of the bullets. What the crap? Real Battle 1 isn't that much better, but at least I can see some of it. Real Battle 2 is a hell of a lot better, but I suck at it. I don't think a 1cc on Arcade will happen for me. Maybe on Normal eventually.

I can at least see some of them on Sim 30. I can't do the Quick Shot chain though, and I think you can get 25,000,000 on that stage alone IIRC. Not that I ever got close to doing that on Normal or Arcade.

Sim 40 is a joke and gives you 6 bombs if you do it right, though you'll probably use some of them on the boss.

Bananamatic

« Reply #574 on: April 15, 2010, 10:23:00 PM »
the dimahoo intro
THE EARTH WAS REALLY HOLLOW

mind=blown

« Reply #575 on: April 16, 2010, 12:12:01 AM »
Like this

This is propably the most unfun game to play for score there is. I'm not even dodging anything in this game, just moving to places for micluses, quickshots and such. Bosses you can just pointblank+bombspam to kill them in 5 seconds each. The end stages aren't really that important because there is no end of stage bonuses, which make them kinda worthless specially if you drop your medal chain.

Sim30 is lovely, I can't even see the bullets. In phase1 the bullets hide into the explosions.

certain micluses are dangerous for the player to reveal (especially if there are other enemies on the screen), and some advanced-ish scoring tricks involve revealing them first, then extending the event chain and then exploding them (micluses), so that their value is multiplied further. The game starts being fun when you can successfully enlarge your multiplier and gain nice rewards.. even if I still can't do that for Sim 05 (example: Quick Shot against a tank, after disabling its shots -> DX Medal after destroying the final wagon of the bottom onscreen train, if it has been shown all of its wagons -> Miclus from turret -> Quick Shot on the incoming plane -> Discovered the Fairies on the moving crane), I find that pursue to be fun :p

I'd advise against pointblanking bosses, outside of their initial appearances.. instead, I'd recommend watching its attacks on youtube, for example, in order to judge if you would rather spend a bomb to shut that pattern down, or dodge them safely. (why not pointblank? Some bosses, for example, RB Phase 1's, would've killed you if you were near it, after its side gunners fired their shots ;p)

I think I agree on you with Phase 1.. don't remember exactly how I died in it, the last time.. (however I like Sim 30, because of the amount of points it gives to me :p -- however I'd hate to play Sim 45, didn't reach it, ever, however my friend Ruldra said, during STGT'09, that it likes to kill his credits :p)

This game made me think about playing Battle Garegga for score.

Yes, it's THAT bad

Battle Garegga involved rank control measures (limiting your fire and item pickup, dying to decrease rank and get bomb pieces, scoring well to gain more lives.. hoarding bombs for Stage 2's flamingoes and Stage 7's midboss -- and perhaps the rails during the 4th boss, if you feel lucky :p --, otherwise, spending them a lot), RFJ *may* sometimes encourage you to lose both of your slave ships in order to temporarily decrease rank, while it discourages dying.

Both games give you a lot of bombs, which are mainly used for scoring (and sometimes used to prevent you from dying, in anticipation), and both games challenge you to see if you can maintain control over the game (if you're missing scoring opportunities, this means that the game's overwhelming you/forcing you to miss them), except that in RFJ you don't have to mind about managing rank, so you're free to spam shots and to not care about score-acquired extends and keeping a low life stock.

bonus: about how to score.. you have the DX Medals, you raise their value to 100k and then try to not let any of them go down the screen (DX medals that appear after you've let one fall down will be reset to 10k, and there's no way to immediately "restore" a broken chain, unlike in Garegga/Batrider). DX medals are raised in value (up to 100k), when you collect all of the onscreen medals (so, when you're building up your medal level, avoid exposing many medals at once.. however, raising it for the first time is easy, at the start of Sim 05). Also, when you chain messages (Quick Shot/Destroyed At A Time/Discovered the Miclus/Discovered the Fairy/DX Bonus, etc.), the affected elements give you a multiplied bonus, whose multiplying factor depends on how much messages are being chained (up to x9). Said chain ends when there are no more messages on the screen.

About bomb usage, sometimes it's used to create a no-shot area (example: Sim 15, against one of the larger tanks before the boss, they're near a Miclus hidden in a tree, and the player may spend a bomb to have the time to reveal it), or to deal damage on multiple targets (example: Sim 05's boss), in order to get Quick Shot/Destroyed At A Time bonuses (Quick Shots are earned if you manage to destroy enemies before they shoot. Doesn't matter if you've "sealed" their shots by standing near them, before destroying them. At least this "sealing" technique works on the tanks, dunno about the other enemies :p). You can read more about the game's mechanics, here: http://web.archive.org/web/20020224150902/alluro95.tripod.com/raiden/rfjsecrets.htm  (and also, look for YCW's replay on youtube with Judge Spear). Should you or anyone else have questions about stages/bosses, feel free to ask.. I'd feel bad if I failed to help.

Isn't Dimahoo supposed to be regarded as like, one of the worst designed shooting games of all time?  At least I thought I heard that once. ???

I think I've read it too :p
neku: now for something important.
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.

Bananamatic

« Reply #576 on: April 16, 2010, 12:22:34 AM »
raizing and their kamikaze flight simulators

dimahoo has bitchin music though

« Reply #577 on: April 16, 2010, 12:26:00 AM »
Tried Banana's Hibachi savestate. It didn't load successfully.

Bananamatic

« Reply #578 on: April 16, 2010, 12:28:14 AM »
Tried Banana's Hibachi savestate. It didn't load successfully.
is it in the folder you have set your states to?

« Reply #579 on: April 16, 2010, 12:29:01 AM »
Latest version of lagless MAME if it matters.

Haven't had the chance to mess with settings yet, will need to though.

Bananamatic

« Reply #580 on: April 16, 2010, 12:30:53 AM »
Latest version of lagless MAME if it matters.

Haven't had the chance to mess with settings yet, will need to though.
version shouldn't matter
just set a directory for "state" and dump it all there

« Reply #581 on: April 16, 2010, 01:21:17 AM »
Still got an error.

Also, am I remembering wrong, but wasn't there a button you could just hold for normal shot? It seems like I either have to keep tapping or it just goes to laser.

Also, game is just as clippy and wall filled as I remembered it being.

Bananamatic

« Reply #582 on: April 16, 2010, 01:27:20 AM »
Also, game is just as clippy and wall filled as I remembered it being.
You sure you aren't playing Touhou?

EDIT: inb4 Baity
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 01:33:16 AM by Bananamatic »

« Reply #583 on: April 16, 2010, 01:46:41 AM »
You sure you aren't playing Touhou?

I don't remember any common clipdeaths outside of SoEW, LLS Yuka final phases, EoSD, PCB, and UFO. Oh, and HRtP, but that game doesn't count.

Also, can I somehow set DDP to shot (shot/hold for laser), shot(hold for shot), bomb? Or was having 3 buttons added in later games and I have to deal with tapping for shot?

Also, chaining system is bad. It's like nearly impossible to keep your chain. But I tend to not like chaining systems in general.

« Reply #584 on: April 16, 2010, 01:52:27 AM »
I don't get why people say things like "clippy". Because of how collision detection is preformed in most Shmup games, they are heavily biased towards you living when you probably should've collided with a bullet. If you got hit and died, then you had to have been very definitively nailed. Especially in danmaku games like Touhou and Cave stuff, where shit is so small that you should be getting hit way more than you do anyways.

If you got "clipped", then you should've been paying more attention. Unless clip is just another term for "getting fucking nailed by a bullet", in which case, ignore my shit and carry on.

Also, LtC is gonna roll us again in the scoreboards :<

« Reply #585 on: April 16, 2010, 01:55:04 AM »
I've never really understood the point behind terms like clip and clipdeath or whatever the fuck, either. :V

Matsuri

« Reply #586 on: April 16, 2010, 01:55:49 AM »
I don't get it. I can consistently get the maximum-value medal on the first stage, and start the value-stacking medals right at the beginning of the next stage, but I still can't top that score I got the other day. :/

Re: Clipdeath: Translation: "I got hit, but I don't want to admit it." :V

Bananamatic

« Reply #587 on: April 16, 2010, 02:02:05 AM »
how many types of deaths are there anyways

1) clipdeath - I got hit because I suck
2) walled - I got hit because I suck
3) can't see shit - I got hit because I'm playing Battle Garegga

any others?

« Reply #588 on: April 16, 2010, 02:06:55 AM »
SoEW's I got hit because the danmaku's hitbox is bigger than the sprite or worse, wasn't even touching the character. I'm sure that's there in a few nonTouhou shmups as well.

Walling can happen through no fault of your own though.

Also, #3 appears in RFJ's Sim 30, Sim 45, and Real Battle Phase 1.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 02:10:03 AM by Enigma »

Bananamatic

« Reply #589 on: April 16, 2010, 02:09:39 AM »
also Nue's telefrag

Matsuri

« Reply #590 on: April 16, 2010, 02:12:47 AM »

Bananamatic

« Reply #591 on: April 16, 2010, 02:15:29 AM »
I can't 1cc SoEW on easy

seriously, something shot these moonspeak bullets and I tried to pick it up thinking it was a powerup
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 02:17:08 AM by Bananamatic »

« Reply #592 on: April 16, 2010, 02:16:23 AM »
I was referring more toward Marisa, Mima, and the entirety of Extra.

AKA, the BS parts. Most of the rest of the game is mostly fair.

Matsuri

« Reply #593 on: April 16, 2010, 02:18:40 AM »
I was referring more toward classifying anything SoEW throws at you as bullet curtain fire. Cheap shots, yeah, but otherwise the screen is pretty much empty most of the time :P

« Reply #594 on: April 16, 2010, 03:16:54 AM »
I find that in most cases, clipdeaths are pretty much just illusions created by the heat of the moment.  It only looks like you shouldn't have gotten hit.  Since I'm a fairly mediocre player, in just about every full-game run of any shmup I've ever done, there's always at least 1-3 'clipdeaths' where I could have sworn during the run that I should have lived.  Then when I go back and watch the replay, it turns out that in just about every situation the bullet pretty much nailed me head-on.  I only thought I dodged it because of the adrenaline rush or I was focusing on something elsewhere etc.

I also suffer clipdeaths frequently in games with 'unconventional' hitboxes such as ESPrade, but that's just as much my fault for not knowing the hitboxes as well as I should. :P

lumber_of_the_beast

« Reply #595 on: April 16, 2010, 11:42:15 AM »
So far, the big thing I've learned from the shmup of the week thing is that most shmups suck.

EDIT: Actually, a few moments of thinking about it has caused me to revise my opinion: Most arcade shmups suck. When you get into the world of games not designed to steal as many quarters as possible, they become much more tolerable.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 11:47:49 AM by lumber_of_the_beast »

Bananamatic

« Reply #596 on: April 16, 2010, 11:43:12 AM »
I still can't get over the fact that the warrior is named Solo-Bang :V

do a google search
shit bricks

Dimahoo never fails to amuse me
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 11:45:11 AM by Bananamatic »

Matsuri

« Reply #597 on: April 16, 2010, 11:58:49 AM »
So far, the big thing I've learned from the shmup of the week thing is that most shmups suck.

EDIT: Actually, a few moments of thinking about it has caused me to revise my opinion: Most arcade shmups suck. When you get into the world of games not designed to steal as many quarters as possible, they become much more tolerable.

No, they don't, and designed to steal quarters or not, they sure as hell aren't stealing yours, since all you have to do is press the coin insert key. They do require more effort than Touhou, but that's pretty much it.

lumber_of_the_beast

« Reply #598 on: April 16, 2010, 12:15:21 PM »
They do require more effort than Touhou, but that's pretty much it.
And therein lies the problem. Touhou sits at the upper end of the ratio of work I'm willing to put into a game for fun I get out of it. Anything more? Meh, I have more enjoyable games to play.

Bananamatic

« Reply #599 on: April 16, 2010, 12:26:06 PM »
tap once
dodge everything