Author Topic: Post Your Artwork Thread V5  (Read 257304 times)

Quad City QBs

• tumblr, tumblr, in the attic,
  • who is the most problematic?
    • maullarmaullar @ Tumblr
Re: Post Your Artwork Thread V5
« Reply #870 on: April 28, 2013, 07:36:39 AM »
@Kinoko: That analogy implies that those far from a decent fit for art might as well give up. Way back when, something similar could've been said about those who can learn from those dry programming texts and those who couldn't. Nowadays, with new learning materials that are so accessible, clear, and non-dry to aspiring programmers, you can see a boom in the amount of people able to program. Of course, that's not counting those university graduates who turn out to suck at their jobs due to bad advisement... But I digress.

The point is, that sure, some people may not be nearly apt for some things as others, but that wouldn't be so much of an issue if learning resources for drawing had progressed as far as those for programming. There are even IRC networks and channels dedicated to helping budding programmers blossom into splendid writers of tomorrow's software in a specific programming language. Nothing similar exists for art students.

You're being a little too dismissive, don't you think? What do you think ConceptArt is there for? What do you make of all the tutorials and other resources linked here, and the literally thousands more that we haven't found yet? And if art instruction is stagnating like you say, then how is it that more artists are drawing than at any previous time in history? (NAMTA estimates there are 4.4 million in the U.S. alone.) Do they have access to some wondrous magical source that you don't? Of course not. You're still incapable of getting outside your own perspective: if you're having trouble learning, then it's not your fault, it's the materials' fault. I'm not an art teacher and I still find that patronizing and offensive.

As to what Saber Nero said, I think what she wants to see is your basic drafts--that is, the stick figures and simple shapes that you're building your figures out of. You know, these things? The reason is that an error setting up the construction results in an error in the lineart, which results in an error in the shading, and so on. This is why artists will sometimes tell you to scrap a piece and start over from scratch. It's not because they're being mean, it's because erasing and redrawing a few lines isn't going to fix an error that goes to the fundamentals.

Nothing in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor as creating an attorney-client relationship, nor as an advertisement for legal or law-related services.
Art Thread | Writing Thread | Tumblr NSFWAsk.fm

Teewee

• In the forest, lazing around...
  • ...building nothing but clay castles.
« Reply #871 on: April 28, 2013, 08:02:08 AM »
First off, I wasn't saying it was the materials' fault, or that art instruction is stagnating. That's not at all what I meant. If I were to pin the blame on anything, it's be whatever sort of brain issue(s) that makes it so hard for someone like me to comprehend these materials which are actually rather good (since everyone else seems to get them). And, you have a recurring problem of implying I'm looking for some wondrous magical thing that's make one a great artist right away, when I never really even asked for that. I find that patronizing and offensive. I work hard and long at many of my drawings, too, making it hurt somewhat more.

I have a hard time understanding the layout of ConceptArt, so please excuse me if I couldn't count that as such a great resource at the time. My bad : < Though you may be onto something about that specific closemindedness; it's something I've been working to fix, with all that's available to me, anyway.

Also, nobody told me to scrap a piece and start over from scratch, but maybe that woulda been for the best, huh? ^^; I'll do that for my Tenko, then. As for the drafts, I'll pull those up later; it's early in the morning and I need some rest.

Thank you for the wisdom!

fondue

• excuse me
« Reply #872 on: April 28, 2013, 08:05:14 AM »

☯The Embodiment of fondue☯

Animal anatomy isn't my specialty as I've not laid eyes on many animals in reality, but your picture does indeed give off a very western-cartoonish feeling to it. Giving it a more 'eastern style' feeling would depend on what you plan to achieve with this drawing. Do you want this to be more animal than humanoid, or the other way around? Do you want to emphasize that this creature is from the east, or just that your drawing style of this sketch looks like it was influenced by eastern art?

Specifics, please. When drawings become more about style and creativity than realism, it helps to have as much information as possible to guide your sketch to what you want it to be.
I don't really understand the emphasizing and influence part though. :I
Basicially I want to know how to draw a beastman where he has humanoid features, but you can clearly see he has animal features (for instance a dog snout, ears, tail, furry skin) but he has a humanoid build, with human hands, human feet, human arms... etc.
I do kinda would like the creature to be from the east. Basicially: Ran Yakumo + fox ears + fox snout + furry skin = what I want.

I don't know how to be more specific :[

e: The art I would like to accomplish is something you'd see in an STG game. She my avatar for reference.

Bio

• resident walker
« Reply #873 on: April 28, 2013, 08:23:40 AM »
Holy crap, they really are

You improve fast for a BR, sir
Do you?

Quad City QBs

« Reply #874 on: April 28, 2013, 08:31:24 AM »
I work hard and long at many of my drawings, too, making it hurt somewhat more.

(Links NSFW)

I used to tell myself that too. In fact, on one occasion 9 years ago, I said as such--in many of the same words, even--to someone who criticized one of my pictures on the grounds that I "hadn't even been trying to improve." I resented that assertion because gee, I'd spent like two, three hours on that picture. I had no way of knowing that I would one day be spending 55 hours on a picture.* Or that I would spend countless hours and pieces of paper more doing very basic drills, before moving up to figurines and then to live models. It sucked, but that's what it takes. Now I realize how little of an idea I had back then what it means to work hard at art.

* Don't worry, I'm down to like 6-8 hours by now

Now do you understand why I'm being stern? It's because I made literally every newbie mistake you can make, and I don't like seeing other people walk into the same traps.

Nothing in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor as creating an attorney-client relationship, nor as an advertisement for legal or law-related services.

« Reply #875 on: April 28, 2013, 10:04:06 AM »
I find the best way to accept critique without feeling all down or offended is to simply have zero sense of ego and pride. Can't get offended when you don't have a reason to be. I still have some remnants of those left over though, might have to do something about that.

Alternatively, you can avoid the sting if you have the capability and eye to spot your own mistakes. An artist on DA once noted that he doesn't quite feel the point of being critiqued by others, preferring to do it himself. I'll tell you that his works are bordering on photorealism. Only better.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 10:07:34 AM by NotaPirate »

Arkeden

• That Guy
  • Live great, you need it.
« Reply #876 on: April 28, 2013, 12:52:16 PM »
Cirno's a much bigger problem since she's not very defined and what I see right now does not at all match up with a human body. I would ask for a redraw on that since fixing it would take more work.

I tried adjusting the major problem, Cirno first.

Here is Cirno  ???
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 12:58:22 PM by Arkeden »
Just started drawing! Visit my deviantart
-> http://arkeden.deviantart.com/

Saber Nero

• 我が奏者よ!
« Reply #877 on: April 28, 2013, 02:40:47 PM »
I don't draw clothes at the same time as the body; it's after that. Before I can describe my preferred methods, please explain what you mean by drawing according to feel.

Drawing by feel just means you don't start with a base of any sort, but rather just sit down and draw an entire object or character without any prior reference or basic shape, only with the use of one's memory and experience. There are thousands of artists who can do this, and some of them even take it a step further and do speed drawing. Of course, it's not for everyone, and even the ones that do their art this way can end up with glaring issues as well.

What I meant was pretty much what Maullar described. I want to see the step-by-step processes you take when you create a sketch. If it happens that your base is wrong, then you've screwed up on square one and need to start over, otherwise you end up with the crazy amount of problems that I observed in that Tenko sketch.

Also - what exactly are you having problems with regarding reference materials and tutorials? I've been hearing you say that you can't understand them for the last 2 pages now but I've yet to see any examples. Like I said before, the more information we have, the better.

Basicially I want to know how to draw a beastman where he has humanoid features, but you can clearly see he has animal features (for instance a dog snout, ears, tail, furry skin) but he has a humanoid build, with human hands, human feet, human arms... etc.
I do kinda would like the creature to be from the east. Basicially: Ran Yakumo + fox ears + fox snout + furry skin = what I want.

The first and closest thing that comes to mind is this anime. Obviously, it's not the only way to do it and it may not fit with your own drawing style, but you can at least use it for reference to look for the major differences in your drawing.

In your drawing specifically, I would suggest finer details with the hair, more blending rather than a solid line that marks the area where the dark colored hair meets the light colored hair. The snout also needs to protrude farther out from the skull. The skull itself is shaped like a cone or cylinder rather than a cone that sits on a sphere, which is what the head on your character looks like at the moment.

I tried adjusting the major problem, Cirno first.

Here is Cirno  ???

I don't know what to say to that, honestly. The foot continues to be a major issue because feet are supposed to be thicker than that. The shoulder should also be a small bit thicker given the tension on the arm. And the dress lazily covers the rest and I'm not going to try to bother following lines under it.

I'm not going to mention anything else on Okuu since you haven't worked on fixes yet but I will say it's a bad idea to put clothes on something that isn't fixed yet because it's most likely going to take longer to finish in the long run. The angles I mentioned beforehand for Okuu are affecting the clothes you are putting on her (ie. doesn't make much sense if you look at it).

Arkeden

• That Guy
« Reply #878 on: April 28, 2013, 03:11:31 PM »
I don't know what to say to that, honestly. The foot continues to be a major issue because feet are supposed to be thicker than that. The shoulder should also be a small bit thicker given the tension on the arm. And the dress lazily covers the rest and I'm not going to try to bother following lines under it.

Thanks for the guide, I'll continue adjusting cirno before adjusting okuu. :)

I'm just surprised that this thread became similar to the art tip thread. OAO  :getdown:

Calm down guys, It's up to the artist whether he/she wants to follow the tips or not. >.<;
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 03:18:25 PM by Arkeden »

fondue

• excuse me
« Reply #879 on: April 28, 2013, 04:53:48 PM »
The first and closest thing that comes to mind is this anime. Obviously, it's not the only way to do it and it may not fit with your own drawing style, but you can at least use it for reference to look for the major differences in your drawing.

In your drawing specifically, I would suggest finer details with the hair, more blending rather than a solid line that marks the area where the dark colored hair meets the light colored hair. The snout also needs to protrude farther out from the skull. The skull itself is shaped like a cone or cylinder rather than a cone that sits on a sphere, which is what the head on your character looks like at the moment.
Thanks~

more blending rather than a solid line that marks the area where the dark colored hair meets the light colored hair. The snout also needs to protrude farther out from the skull. The skull itself is shaped like a cone or cylinder rather than a cone that sits on a sphere, which is what the head on your character looks like at the moment.

(Also Shun's blending of hair when a dark part meets a white part is designed to be like that)

Saber Nero

• 我が奏者よ!
« Reply #880 on: April 28, 2013, 06:11:58 PM »
If you don't get what I'm talking about for the shape of the skull, click me.

Like I always say, the more detail, the better. I don't mean deviate entirely from the border where the light fur meets the dark. But I would think it would be better if you didn't just make it one straight thick line to differentiate between the two colors. At least, I haven't really seen much of that in natural fur.

pineyappled

« Reply #881 on: April 30, 2013, 02:40:42 AM »

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #882 on: April 30, 2013, 02:50:16 AM »
i'm a board

fat forehead?

i'm a skull

Now looking the skull I think that I should move the eyes a bit to the center
My youtube channel with my creations: https://www.youtube.com/user/KazeSenshi2929
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

d13 v0n t0t3n

• Gef?hrlicher Erfinder
  • More than you pay for
    • Living on for tomorrow
« Reply #883 on: April 30, 2013, 02:00:04 PM »
Haven't drawn for quite some time... so have a 9.

Teewee

• In the forest, lazing around...
  • ...building nothing but clay castles.
« Reply #884 on: April 30, 2013, 08:55:39 PM »
@MaullarMaullar: Yeah, I think I see, somewhat. Though, could you elaborate on what kind of newbie mistakes you were talking about? I got what you meant by "3 hours isnt such hard work for a whole drawing", but what other "traps"? I'm left kinda confused about that, is all. :/

@Saber Nero: Oh, I see. Well, then I do draw my feel sometimes, though never for the whole process. As for the basic stuff, here: I start with a stick figure skeleton, draw neck by feel, use an oval-ish shape for the torso, cylinders for the arms. I think the rest of the process doesnt need its pics be shown (but feel free to ask for them), but after that I draw the rest of the body and clothes based on figure refs I studied a while back, and other artists' ways of drawing clothes (especially the shoulders).  I often pose in the mirror to get an idea on how to execute some part of the anatomy (though only for the top half of the body). Also, other artists' pics for the hip shape, arm shape, and breast details.

@kinoko: fat foreheads can be pretty charming :V

@Kaze: Yeah, since from that view, there are those temporal fossas at the sides of the head that make the eye placement slightly different. :P

@d13: It looks great! Ever gonna color it?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 10:22:33 PM by Honest Espeon »

fondue

• excuse me
« Reply #885 on: April 30, 2013, 09:44:20 PM »

Very nice but her legs seem... really out of place...

d13 v0n t0t3n

• Gef?hrlicher Erfinder
  • More than you pay for
    • Living on for tomorrow
« Reply #886 on: May 01, 2013, 04:30:43 AM »
Yea I noticed. Should've pencilled it properly beforehand.  :ohdear:

pasu

• what are they talking about!
  • medi for 14.5 never ;_;
« Reply #887 on: May 01, 2013, 10:13:13 AM »

Man, alternate outfits are always cool o>ob

i should probably get to changing my sig but im too lazy

art thread / yukkuri quest thread

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
« Reply #888 on: May 01, 2013, 01:31:37 PM »

Cool (pun not intended)
Face style reminds me of Baka and Test manga
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #889 on: May 04, 2013, 01:38:04 PM »
Man, I have not been here in a while.  :ohdear: Been occupied with college and internships. Also been involved with the AWA Project as of late.

In any case, here's a Hong Meiling.

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #890 on: May 04, 2013, 04:53:22 PM »

Best OC ever
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

KrackoCloud

• I don't mean to be greedy...
  • ... but white rice is my favorite food.
« Reply #891 on: May 04, 2013, 05:21:21 PM »
Man, I have not been here in a while.  :ohdear: Been occupied with college and internships. Also been involved with the AWA Project as of late.

How do you keep getting better and better.

Delfigamer

• * Merry, bride, absolute (HR)
  • of course the best girl never wins
« Reply #892 on: May 04, 2013, 06:24:16 PM »

Dat boobs.

The Jealous Witch did nothing wrong.

d13 v0n t0t3n

• Gef?hrlicher Erfinder
  • More than you pay for
    • Living on for tomorrow
« Reply #893 on: May 09, 2013, 05:35:40 PM »

Muscles are yummy!  :3

Fooling around with MangaStudio5 to get a feel of the colouring. It's definitely better than SAI's, that's for sure.

Will probably continue Cirnosuke this year, so we'll release Arah Timur 3 in digital format (for free?) somewhere later.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 05:47:54 PM by d13 v0n t0t3n »

Quad City QBs

« Reply #894 on: May 09, 2013, 05:47:01 PM »
Fooling around with MangaStudio5 to get a feel of the colouring. It's definitely better than SAI's, that's for sure.

Will probably continue Cirnosuke this year, so we'll release Arah Timur 3 in digital format (for free?) somewhere later.

I... wasn't aware Manga Studio 5 even did soft colors. Huh.

d13 v0n t0t3n

• Gef?hrlicher Erfinder
  • More than you pay for
    • Living on for tomorrow
« Reply #895 on: May 09, 2013, 06:21:23 PM »
I... wasn't aware Manga Studio 5 even did soft colors. Huh.
The earlier Manga Studio versions were incredibly horrible for colouring! Some friends had told me that the current version has fixed that, and guess what... it's true.

Quad City QBs

« Reply #896 on: May 09, 2013, 07:01:05 PM »
I'll have to experiment, then. I don't really like doing fills (tones or colors) in Manga Studio because the magic wand is so damn finicky. Or rather, the pen tool leaves lots of little gaps and so the magic wand ends up selecting the whole canvas.

Arkeden

• That Guy
« Reply #897 on: May 13, 2013, 04:21:27 PM »
Drew three quick sketch in the meantime... (Still fixing okuu)

Page 1
Page 2
Page 3

Delfigamer

• * Merry, bride, absolute (HR)
  • of course the best girl never wins
« Reply #898 on: May 13, 2013, 07:01:48 PM »

The Jealous Witch did nothing wrong.

Gensokyo Dreadnought

• Fantastic Dreadnought o' War
  • Ran said no more capitalism...
« Reply #899 on: May 13, 2013, 08:42:33 PM »
I drew this Koishi because I was remembering the names of muscles and thought it would be a good idea to immortalize it on paper. :V

Anyway, I got her hat and her ribbon wrong, me thinks. Still, Kyojin Koishi was fun to draw!!

Shingeki no Koishi