Author Topic: 東方百画志 ~ The Wish Under Celestial Star (Possibly dead?!)  (Read 103570 times)

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
Re: 東方百画志 ~ The Wish Under Celestial Star
« Reply #210 on: September 09, 2010, 02:13:18 AM »

hey, this is where 1F betas live
GET YOU ONE

...because I'm impatient.

Disclaimer: You may need the RPG Maker VX RTP installed (The same one used in TranceHime's Snaafu Adventure, if you happen to have played that).  Or you might not.

Quick note on things that are presently missing from a 'complete' 1F (These should only be read after completing this):
Spoiler:
Full use of the Converse menu is not entirely present yet - this includes that there is no dialogue about the use of the abilities of the 1F boss character
Spoiler:
The seal on 1F cannot have anything done with it right now
Spoiler:
The EX Boss is present.  However, as I seriously do not expect anyone to come within a lightyear of being able to take her down at present, hell I'll be surprised if anyone finds her, she doesn't even have spellcard phases.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 05:13:57 AM by Garlyle »

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #211 on: September 09, 2010, 04:45:37 AM »
Spoiler:
The EX Boss is present.  However, as I seriously do not expect anyone to come within a lightyear of being able to take her down at present, hell I'll be surprised if anyone finds her, she doesn't even have spellcard phases.

Even with ridiculous grinding?

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #212 on: September 09, 2010, 04:47:09 AM »
Even with ridiculous grinding?
Spoiler:
well, you might be able to.
But right now she hits you for >12k damage per action on the whole party.
Your party will maybe be hitting 1-2k HP by the end of the first floor
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 05:13:40 AM by Garlyle »

あさらぎシジェ

• MS Paint Lasers incoming!
  • Surprisingly different
    • [あさらぎ Works]
Re: 東方百画志 ~ The Wish Under Celestial Star (1F BETA WHAT)
« Reply #213 on: September 09, 2010, 11:49:49 PM »
Omfg. A release.
Excuse me for a second while I clean up this drool.
Oh, by the way. I've found some new tea.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #214 on: September 10, 2010, 07:43:46 AM »
oh yay!  *glomp* will test out right now.

edit: I'm just gonna keep editing this post when I have opinions, bugs, complaints, whatever >=P

Anyway, so far I've noticed that the "selection indicator" thingie that shows which of your characters is currently active when you get the action menu is kinda hard to notice. It's very faint. I didn't notice it for the first time myself and was only able to tell who got the first move by selecting spellcard.

I notice little flickers in the top left corner when I heal or attack, I figure these are the digits stating the damage inflicted/healed, but am not sure since I can't really see them. I'm playing in fullscreen mode because I wanna break the game! >=P. I'll check to see if it happens in windowed mode once I get to a saving opportunity. Oops, just realized it only happens when the numbers are supposed to appear above my own member's heads. Number appearing over the enemies seem to work fine. (update), I get the same issue in windowed mode.

I'm not sure how nitpicky you want us testers to be. You said this is more of a personal project rather than an attempt at some kind of profitable release so... Anyway I'm no English professor or whatever, but I'm pretty sure that "tired out" when reaching the first rest-point is not really proper English. If you don't really care about feedback like this lemmie know and I'll stop.

Too early to really give an overall impression on the game so far, but so far I like the music choices >=). The dialogue is pretty fun to read so far too.

Kana's attack is apparently intelligence based in battle, but says magic-based in her status window.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 09:21:05 AM by Ghaleon »

Kirin

• Fallen Angel
  • I, the Fallen Angel, will knock you all down!
« Reply #215 on: September 10, 2010, 08:11:12 AM »
So I check back on the day it got a beta released and I hit my internet bandwidth limit. Rageface commencing.

I'll get this and try it out, even if I have to wait until the next update while downloading. xD

Axel Ryman

• Fear me
« Reply #216 on: September 10, 2010, 08:39:48 AM »
Looks like I'm the first to complete the demo.  :V

It was good though. I'll post in spoiler tags so people don't get spoiled

Spoiler:
I started out on the hardest difficulty and barely beat Kana. I was enjoying it(Sorta) till I realized only Momiji was actually dealing damage. After I switched to Normal mode and everything was better. Battles come fast so it does get a bit annoying, but only cause I like fighting in every battle I'm in usually, and then when I want to get to a specific area, I'm getting into them to the point it makes me mad. It's probably just me though. If you can, add an item in the future to get that will raise/lower encounter rates.

It might just be me, but when I used Appraisal on Tewi, it didn't seem to work, even though it said it did. She seems to be the only one it doesn't work on.

I also  found your ex boss. Clever using the one area some people will most likely look(Or not). You should fix up the post-battle stuff though after beating the boss of course(Then again, its just a small beta and you don't expect us to beat it now). It's weird fighting it over and over again, or walking with it and Kana on the screen having a staring contest  :V

Last but not least.....http://i56.tinypic.com/15f2j3r.png

Am I cool?  :getdown:

I was gonna ask if you mind if me and a friend advertise this or mention it to a few people, but maybe it's better if I don't. I really enjoyed the game and can't wait for it to be finished. I'm going to guess that all the music for the rest of the game is already done? Or do you still plan on adding a few more songs?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 08:45:24 AM by Axel Ryman »

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #217 on: September 10, 2010, 09:32:54 AM »
gotta log, it's my bro's birthday tomorrow, and we're going out so I'm not sure if I'll be able to to many updates >=(. It's pretty fun so far though.

I'm not sure if it's possible, but explanation on the icons displayed when viewing enemy stats might be helpful. And I'm not sure if it's intended but I'm not really sure what dull point items are for. it says 20% of a point item, but after obtaining 5, they don't combine or become usable or what. Is this something I cash in at a vendor later on? I have no clue. I'd play more before asking but I gotta quit, if it becomes obvious later on nevermind >=P

Axel Ryman

• Fear me
« Reply #218 on: September 10, 2010, 10:44:16 AM »
gotta log, it's my bro's birthday tomorrow, and we're going out so I'm not sure if I'll be able to to many updates >=(. It's pretty fun so far though.

I'm not sure if it's possible, but explanation on the icons displayed when viewing enemy stats might be helpful. And I'm not sure if it's intended but I'm not really sure what dull point items are for. it says 20% of a point item, but after obtaining 5, they don't combine or become usable or what. Is this something I cash in at a vendor later on? I have no clue. I'd play more before asking but I gotta quit, if it becomes obvious later on nevermind >=P

Answer in the spoilers if you're interested

Spoiler:
It's mainly for when you reach the vendor. When you do they get tallied to your point total when you talk to her.

warpshadow

• I get it
    • anifanatikku
« Reply #219 on: September 10, 2010, 03:23:55 PM »
I played through the first floor and the game was good. Good as in except for problems it might cause with the original makers of the music and stuff Garyle should sell this game good. Keep up the good work.
Gensokyo Everyday's story My Touhou fangame http://gensokyosnack.blogspot.com/

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #220 on: September 10, 2010, 06:00:29 PM »
Ah, thanks for the feedback, guys n.n;

Little things:

On flashes of numbers appearing in the corner: Oh crap you're right.  ...I have no idea why the hell they're even appearing, but if I dig around I should be able to fix that.
On the selection window: It has to do with the individual window skin you chose, so you can always try another one.
On nitpickyness: Eh, that's up to you.  I'm not too worried about creating something perfect, so don't feel held back from just enjoying it.
On Kana's attack: Noted and fixed for future releases (Also noticed that it did this for
Spoiler:
Yamame
as well)
On Encounter Rates: They should actually be fairly spaced out.  For instance, the encounters in the forest area should be occuring roughly every 45-50 steps.  But yes, there will be characters who can influence the encounter rate later.
On Difficulty: Like it says, I haven't actually tested Lunatic beyond making sure that it's possible to beat Kana (BUT BARELY >8D).  I do hope people play it on Hard at the least.  There's some significant differences if you go from Normal onto Hard, though, even this early!
On
Spoiler:
Tewi's scan display: There's supposed to be another page that pops up that says "She's hidden her scan data pages!  You're on your own!", but the scan system is kind of a trainwreck of stuff not doing what it's supposed to so it might not have worked right.  Either way, her stats being hidden isn't a bug
On ailments: Right, I should fix that in the tutorials.  I think most of it should be semi-obvious?
On
Spoiler:
The EX Boss: Aw yeah I'm glad someone found it--HOW THE HELL DID YOU BEAT IT YOU HACKER.  But yeah.  Hiding it in plain sight was my personal favourite way to hide it, especially since the game tries to make it pretty obvious that you don't actually have to navigate it to clear it.
On
Spoiler:
Fumiko's Hat: Yes, you're now cool; that's like a 1% chance or something
On the music: I have no plans to sell the game, so hopefully the music never becomes an issue.  And no, this isn't the entire soundtrack; it's actually going to get pretty big by the end even if I do everything I can to keep the file size down; but I'm glad to hear you guys are enjoying it.

On everything in general: I'm really glad to hear you guys are enjoying it ;-; It's definitely motivating me to continue with more determination!

On spreading the game around: If you've got friends who enjoy Touhou, go ahead privately, but try not to at least not for this release.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 09:25:16 PM by Garlyle »

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #221 on: September 10, 2010, 06:54:52 PM »
Yeah it was fun while I had time to play it, want to some more.. doh. I also forgot to mention, but the defend system is SEX! No seriously, that bomb defend option too. zomg.

The only problem is bomb defense might be op for trash fights. But that might be semi-good because it'll help for lunatic trash hopefully. I'm going to try all the difficulties (except easy maybe) eventually. I have noticed though that Kana seems to take hits more often than Momiji.. Just Kana. I don't know if this is simply coincidence or what, but Daiyousei seems to take a hit only occasionally, and Rinnosuke takes them rarely like you'd expect. Momiji takes them occasionally, and Kana..Seems over 50% I'm not sure if Momiji's tank option is broken, or if Kana has one by accident too, or if I'm simply a coincidence magnet or what. But you might want to look into it. How is this for everyone else?

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #222 on: September 10, 2010, 06:58:37 PM »
I'm fairly certain it's a coincidence, but Momiji doesn't have a very large attack-magnet effect until after using Expellee's Canaan (At which point the chance of her being targetted roughly doubles)  If you haven't been using it, her chance of being targetted compared to Kana or Daiyousei is only a small advantage.

Also I am really happy to see someone enjoying the Defend system.

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #223 on: September 10, 2010, 07:18:18 PM »
Wait for me >_<. I'll give it a go tonight.

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
  • Who is it that calls for me?
« Reply #224 on: September 10, 2010, 09:12:53 PM »
I'm playing on Hard Mode and have been doing pretty well until
Spoiler:
Tewi
and
Spoiler:
Yamame
. Hard Modo bosses are wtf, but a good wtf. I'm enjoying the challenge.

Then again I have an unfair advantage in that I was testing this game for awhile before the beta came out. :smug:

Jiju

• Newbie Spriter
  • :3
« Reply #225 on: September 10, 2010, 10:49:18 PM »
I 've been playing the game, and i'm finding it very enjoyable (it feel more like EO, the enemies kicking my ass):
The mapping can improve a bit but it's okay, on the other side the menus and the battles are greats, specially the bosses,
but you should make the smiles less useless, because they make the first part of the first floor too easy, even on lunatic (Focus Spam)
The Second part of the first floor is fun, but i think i'll be grinding because anything 2KO me.
Overall the Game is very good and i'm enjoying it  a lot (Just like everyone)
..this look like a quick review..
~Daiyousei is Playableee~
Edit: Sooooory, i should have explored more ;_; , the mapping in the forest was okay, it just that playing on lunatic make advance slow
(*excuses*), like i said before, great game.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 10:56:28 PM by Jiju »

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #226 on: September 10, 2010, 11:09:30 PM »
>Playing on Lunatic

HAVE FUN WITH THAT

Also what do you mean by "Smiles"?  You mean slimes?
They're Useless.  Completely useless!  ...They even give only 1 EXP so uh.  Yeah, use a chance like that to use Focus; that's what they're there for!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 11:12:00 PM by Garlyle »

Cookie

« Reply #227 on: September 10, 2010, 11:13:47 PM »
Playing this game on Hard is fun so far.  It's mainly just grinding now since I only have five party members, but from what I've seen, nothing looks particularly game-breaking.

I did notice, though, that
Spoiler:
Yamame's attack is listed as Intelligence in her status page, but is Magic in-game.

And the battle music is delicious.

Axel Ryman

• Fear me
« Reply #228 on: September 10, 2010, 11:40:52 PM »
On Encounter Rates: They should actually be fairly spaced out.  For instance, the encounters in the forest area should be occuring roughly every 45-50 steps.  But yes, there will be characters who can influence the encounter rate later.

Yeah it was most likely just me with those. Maybe it was me trying to find your ex boss and screwing up.  :V

On Difficulty: Like it says, I haven't actually tested Lunatic beyond making sure that it's possible to beat Kana (BUT BARELY >8D).  I do hope people play it on Hard at the least.  There's some significant differences if you go from Normal onto Hard, though, even this early!

Main problem was she evaded most of my attacks at firs during her spellcardt till Momiji could hit her after some buffing, but Rinnosuke was forced into healing. Then I found a way to stay alive so Momiji wouldn't get hit and Rinnosuke could focus/heal himself. Became a bit easier after that. Normal mode felt easier as it should of compared to Lunatic, but kinda too easy with the strategy I thought up. Now if I do it, I could beat her easily on Lunatic.

On
Spoiler:
Tewi's scan display: There's supposed to be another page that pops up that says "She's hidden her scan data pages!  You're on your own!", but the scan system is kind of a trainwreck of stuff not doing what it's supposed to so it might not have worked right.  Either way, her stats being hidden isn't a bug

Maybe it said it and I confused it as working. It was early in the morning when I was facing her so..

On
Spoiler:
The EX Boss: Aw yeah I'm glad someone found it--HOW THE HELL DID YOU BEAT IT YOU HACKER.  But yeah.  Hiding it in plain sight was my personal favourite way to hide it, especially since the game tries to make it pretty obvious that you don't actually have to navigate it to clear it.

Spoiler:
It was mainly a challenge to find her since it requires trial and error. As for beating her....Well I tried at first and lost and said, "hmm...I wonder if she's beatable..." So I got out my cheat engine, tried some scanning(Not sure if you set how the values work, however it was an interesting concept when I figured it out), and eventually found out a way to beat her.  :V Just giving infinite HP doesn't work, since if damage exceeds your current HP you still die and you can't do any actions in battle, which forces her to insta-attack you forever till you take it off. Then I tried looking for a way to level up fast. Unfortunately....

http://i55.tinypic.com/2zejnnk.png

I think I overdid it. :getdown:
Spoiler:

On
Spoiler:
Fumiko's Hat: Yes, you're now cool; that's like a 1% chance or something

Spoiler:
Too bad no one can use it. :(

On everything in general: I'm really glad to hear you guys are enjoying it ;-; It's definitely motivating me to continue with more determination!

You better, or else.

On spreading the game around: If you've got friends who enjoy Touhou, go ahead privately, but try not to at least not for this release.

I showed 2 friends a picture or two and they say they're interested but were turned off at it just being a beta, but they can't wait for the release.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #229 on: September 10, 2010, 11:56:45 PM »
You hacked my game.

I will punch you in the babby.

Or I would but you caught another bug, which I will make sure to fix.

Jiju

• Newbie Spriter
« Reply #230 on: September 11, 2010, 12:29:06 AM »
.... smiles.. :V i mean slimes..
Playing the game, lunatic is not that bad once you know how to use your resource and the defend command,
and i defeated the first two boss, The
Spoiler:
Tewi
battle was hilarious...
Spoiler:
Tewi spamming traps and hammers while Rinnosuke was trying to revive Momiji and at the same time heal the party :V

MysTeariousYukari

• Nomnomnom~
  • Hooray~
« Reply #231 on: September 11, 2010, 01:18:58 AM »
I'm loving this game so far!

Spoiler:
Lost Woods... just from the name, I expect Tewi to be at the end... and I'm lost in it... Also, I loved her scene the the Scorpeon X3 Was the spelling intentional, to show that it's just a mook? Cause I thought it was normally spelt Scorpion...

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #232 on: September 11, 2010, 02:07:02 AM »
I'm really happy to hear you guys are enjoying this.  Really.

MysteariousYukari: About the
Spoiler:
Scorpeon
: Yes, that was a deliberate misspelling.  Also,
Spoiler:
You actually have to find Tewi some more in the first part of the forest, in order for a way to get through the woods to become clear
Jiju: I'm really happy to see that the defend command is indeed turning out to be as useful as I'd hoped 8D

Jiju

• Newbie Spriter
« Reply #233 on: September 11, 2010, 02:25:39 AM »
...*Start Crying*I ended the demo! :(
Why..this game is so good..

Please ignore what i wrote above.
Woow, i loved the demo, it was awesome and, the boss epic.
Lunatic was more intimidation, it was really hard, but Defend Came to my rescue (and luck)
for the demo last boss (i think?) you need to fix the second non-card and SpellCard, because in the second noncard, the boss only spam
Spoiler:
The skill that summon the fireflies
and on the second spell,
Spoiler:
all the enemies only spam buffs
But the last Spell was cool, and deadly.
..Anything more..Oh yes, i'm sure there still some characters more to recruit..i need to find them.
And Finally, i loved the demo, and i can't wait for the next demo, if you want i can sprite characters (if you tell me in what style)
i'm still a newbie spriting, but i could help.
...N-e-e-d t-o p-l-a-a-y m-o-a-.a-r.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 02:42:08 AM by Jiju »

Kirin

• Fallen Angel
  • I, the Fallen Angel, will knock you all down!
« Reply #234 on: September 11, 2010, 02:33:00 AM »
Finally got it downloaded on my off peak. I hope you don't take any offense to this, Garlyle, but Gensokyoushaker? Really? ^^" I mean, that's typical of Aya, but still. Anyways, I've just started on Normal difficulty, and looking through the dialogue between everyone's favorite news reporter and shopkeeper. Maybe I'm just a stickler/nitpicker for this, and like you said you're not going for a perfect game and I'm sure you were busy with the important stuff like gameplay and bug fixing, but the dialogue feels a little... off to me. It doesn't fit them, in my opinion.

I'll edit this post as I play further into the game or post a new one if someone posts after me. Loving the music so far though. Like I said, I've just started, not even five minutes in, so maybe it gets better? ^^"

Edit: I see where you're taking the dialogue now, but it's still a little... iffy to me. Just me though, apparently, so that's all good.

Anyways, I THINK I found a bug...? I just encountered a team of three Cannon fodders, and Rabies Bite took one out in one hit. Kana attacked normally, and Rinnosuke threw some fireworks up. Interestingly, the fireworks were said to target five random enemies. Momiji took one out with RB like I said, and Kana weakened one of them. Festival of Lights hit the weakened one once and it died, then hit the last remaining fairy twice before stopping. The fairy was still alive, and took two attacks from Momiji and Kana on the next round to fall. Festival of Lights is supposed to hit five times, but it only activated three times in that particular round. Is this a bug?

I'm assuming that the targeting of the spells are made in advance, and the fairy that died was targeted to be hit three times, but died before the next two could hit?

Further Edit: Oh Wow. WAVE's version of Dawn of East End. You sir, just won the internetz.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 02:56:13 AM by kirinelf »

MysTeariousYukari

• Nomnomnom~
  • Hooray~
« Reply #235 on: September 11, 2010, 02:35:58 AM »
Garlyle:
Spoiler:
I've been wandering the Lost Woods trying to find my way, and have been doing ok so far. "Down, Right, Up, Right, Down, Down, Right, Down, Left" is what I've found out that won't get me sent back, is this even half of the Woods?

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #236 on: September 11, 2010, 03:07:04 AM »
There are
Spoiler:
characters playable in the demo, if wondering if you missed someone.

Gensokyoushaker is Aya speaking, not me, of course.

Fireworks selects 5 targets at random when it first activates.  If one of the targets dies on, say, the first of three hits that would've been aimed at it, the other two will just vanish.

Yukari:
Spoiler:
Actually there's a couple branch splits, but you're doing very good!  I suggest you start making a map!  If it helps, the Lost Woods is a 4x4 grid.  I won't tell you where you start, but it should help you figure out where you've missed.
Either way, it's the first area of the forest (right after the door) that is where you'll find Tewi, not in the Lost Woods

Also, still really glad you're all enjoying the music.

QUICK QUESTIONS REQUESTS:
*As ever, I could use an artist, probably soon!
*And secondly, I need to find Cirno Bold.  It was a font I USED to have but I've reset my computer since and lost it, and I need it for the spellcard text D:
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 03:14:01 AM by Garlyle »

Axel Ryman

• Fear me
« Reply #237 on: September 11, 2010, 06:57:45 AM »
You hacked my game.

I will punch you in the babby.

Or I would but you caught another bug, which I will make sure to fix.

If it's any consolation, I play through games first before I start hacking them.  :V I only did it to see if the boss was beatable, as well as to see how high I could go in leveling. Final release won't see any till I complete it completely though. The game's too fun to play hacked.
Spoiler:
Hope that works, I'd fear being hated for doing it >:

Garlyle:
Spoiler:
I've been wandering the Lost Woods trying to find my way, and have been doing ok so far. "Down, Right, Up, Right, Down, Down, Right, Down, Left" is what I've found out that won't get me sent back, is this even half of the Woods?

Spoiler:
Different from my path. I should try yours to see where it leads.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #238 on: September 11, 2010, 06:57:59 AM »
Just got home from going out, hope to play some moar now. About the dialogue, I rather like it personally. Seems pretty Touhouish if you ask me. Bear in mind the amount of personality given to the starting characters in this game is mostly fanon, so..Yeah, pretty much anything goes anyway.

Rinnosuke's 5 random targets fire spell. If the targets are random, why does it make you select a target? Just something to think about.

And you said Momiji's something-canaan spell makes her tankier? isn't that her aoe wind nuke? It says absolutely nothing about her attracting "aggro" using the spell. You may want to add that in there.

Also, are you planning on releasing more "complete" info on this game at some point? Such as how much does x-defend option increase y by (rather than "a lot" but say "60%"). I always find myself needing to know this stuff when I play such a game, drives me nuts! >=P

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #239 on: September 11, 2010, 07:15:05 AM »
I'm glad the dialogue is working.  I'm kind of pulling a mix of canon, fanon, and my own interpretation on things a lot, so I'm glad it's not making people freak out yet.

Expellee's Canaan says in its description that it "Draws fire", so yeah.  I could probably add that somewhere to explain a better.

As for the specific details, I don't want to say anything solid statistically in case something changes in the meantime.  I might do a handbook with the final release or something, since I know people love numbercrunching with Touhou RPGs.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 07:17:59 AM by Garlyle »