Author Topic: 東方百画志 ~ The Wish Under Celestial Star (Possibly dead?!)  (Read 103582 times)

Axel Ryman

• Fear me
Re: Wish Under Celestial Star (Touhou RPG)
« Reply #120 on: May 25, 2010, 09:36:40 AM »
To be honest, if people would rather I wait until I've completed 2F before releasing a demo... I think I'd be fine with that.

That's fine. Even though Floor 1 will have lots of content, haven't a 2nd floor will make the demo last even longer. Just don't be surprised if I make it to level 100+ with 2F enemies.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #121 on: May 25, 2010, 10:17:36 AM »
That's fine. Even though Floor 1 will have lots of content, haven't a 2nd floor will make the demo last even longer. Just don't be surprised if I make it to level 100+ with 2F enemies.
In all honesty I doubt this happening, but with that said, there will actually already be access to the EX Boss of each floor I release.  Which is to say, if you can actually level up that high, there WILL be a foe up there to challenge you (You're supposed to come back to those floors to beat them later on)

Axel Ryman

• Fear me
« Reply #122 on: May 25, 2010, 10:22:22 AM »
In all honesty I doubt this happening, but with that said, there will actually already be access to the EX Boss of each floor I release.  Which is to say, if you can actually level up that high, there WILL be a foe up there to challenge you (You're supposed to come back to those floors to beat them later on)

Trust me when you've played many games and have people ask you "HOW DID YOU GET TO SUCH A HIGH LEVEL IN SUCH LITTLE TIME?!!?!?" or anything like that, that doubt is immediately thrown out the window.  :V

warpshadow

• I get it
    • anifanatikku
« Reply #123 on: June 03, 2010, 10:50:24 PM »
I was wondering one thing about the placement of characters. It seems that this game has a starting party of relative nobodies in the Touhouverse (two midbosses, a non game character and a minor pc-98 character). Is it your plan to have us work up the ladder of popularity until we get to the last floor and be able to recruit Reimu and Marisa? To some point I can understand this because what is the point of having almost everybody be playable if most people are going to stick with the beginning cast?
Gensokyo Everyday's story My Touhou fangame http://gensokyosnack.blogspot.com/

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #124 on: June 04, 2010, 03:11:02 AM »
I was wondering one thing about the placement of characters. It seems that this game has a starting party of relative nobodies in the Touhouverse (two midbosses, a non game character and a minor pc-98 character). Is it your plan to have us work up the ladder of popularity until we get to the last floor and be able to recruit Reimu and Marisa? To some point I can understand this because what is the point of having almost everybody be playable if most people are going to stick with the beginning cast?
Actually, this is something I had to really consider.  Ultimately, yes - I decided to skew results in favour of many of the more popular/canonically powerful characters appearing later in the game, with generally less-popular characters early on, although frankly so many Touhou characters have a devoted fandom that it can be really hard to keep track of who is loved and who isn't, and it's not a hard and fast rule.

Also, I inteded to try to balance things out so that every character has some reason to be used.  I don't know if I'll actually succeed, but that's my attempt.  Even though you could use just a party of major characters by the end, I want the lesser-loved characters to be worth using too - and to that end, if they're introduced first, players are more likely to give them a shot before automatically swapping in someone they expect to be better.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 03:12:37 AM by Garlyle »

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #125 on: June 04, 2010, 07:29:12 AM »
That's teh cools. Though Rinnosuke is pretty damn popular when it comes to fangames IMO, of course exceptions are bound to happen.

« Reply #126 on: June 04, 2010, 07:35:09 AM »
Its kinda nice that you are giving the forgotten, not-quite-as-loved characters the lime light they deserve!

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #127 on: June 04, 2010, 08:51:05 AM »
That's teh cools. Though Rinnosuke is pretty damn popular when it comes to fangames IMO, of course exceptions are bound to happen.

Give him cooties :V

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #128 on: June 04, 2010, 09:10:16 AM »

you know that's a good idea >=P, must be the deadliest poison effect in the game.
Though come to think of it... Rinnosuke is actually pretty uncommon after all assuming he does NOT turn MANnosuke.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 09:18:54 AM by Ghaleon »

warpshadow

• I get it
    • anifanatikku
« Reply #129 on: June 05, 2010, 12:13:01 AM »
Actually, this is something I had to really consider.  Ultimately, yes - I decided to skew results in favour of many of the more popular/canonically powerful characters appearing later in the game, with generally less-popular characters early on, although frankly so many Touhou characters have a devoted fandom that it can be really hard to keep track of who is loved and who isn't, and it's not a hard and fast rule.

Also, I inteded to try to balance things out so that every character has some reason to be used.  I don't know if I'll actually succeed, but that's my attempt.  Even though you could use just a party of major characters by the end, I want the lesser-loved characters to be worth using too - and to that end, if they're introduced first, players are more likely to give them a shot before automatically swapping in someone they expect to be better.
Thought it would be something like that. Thinking about it, it would be cool to beat the game with something like all level 1 bosses and if you get them early overleveling them would be easier.
Gensokyo Everyday's story My Touhou fangame http://gensokyosnack.blogspot.com/

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #130 on: June 05, 2010, 02:03:36 AM »
I don't think it's something that should be done in this case, but something that just occured to me is that rpg games should reward the player with great stuff for beating a certain boss or whatever at a certain level or BELOW.. For example get slightly more powerful character (or have a later character join earlier) to join you if you can beat boss #5 before level 50, or maybe give your entire party a perma +5 to resists, etc. Then give the player a "score" at the end of the game, where you get a better score for finishing at a lower level+ less fights done overall + less deaths taken (though auto-death spells shouldn't count), etc.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #131 on: June 05, 2010, 05:57:53 AM »
you know that's a good idea >=P, must be the deadliest poison effect in the game.
Though come to think of it... Rinnosuke is actually pretty uncommon after all assuming he does NOT turn MANnosuke.
I'm still pondering whether or not he can activate a Mannosuke-esque strength buff as a Last Spell, but I might avoid that and go for something else.

Is it bad if I momentarily actually considered this?

I don't think it's something that should be done in this case, but something that just occured to me is that rpg games should reward the player with great stuff for beating a certain boss or whatever at a certain level or BELOW.. For example get slightly more powerful character (or have a later character join earlier) to join you if you can beat boss #5 before level 50, or maybe give your entire party a perma +5 to resists, etc. Then give the player a "score" at the end of the game, where you get a better score for finishing at a lower level+ less fights done overall + less deaths taken (though auto-death spells shouldn't count), etc.
That's kind of a neat idea, but I'm definitely running on a mindset of "Nothing should be permanently missable", soyeah.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #132 on: June 05, 2010, 07:56:01 AM »
Is it bad if I momentarily actually considered this?

Yes it is, you should be considering it over sleep for months. This is Touhou! It's supposed to be over the top.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #133 on: June 08, 2010, 09:47:00 PM »
Yes it is, you should be considering it over sleep for months. This is Touhou! It's supposed to be over the top.
...You're actually going to convince me to make Rinnosuke's Last Spell involve cooties at this rate.
........it would actually be really useful @_@

...On another note, Difficulty Balancing is a pain.  Because while I feel I've created a sufficiently rage-inducing Lunatic difficulty that isn't flat out impossible... Normal is sitting at about as easy as EEJI MODO Easy should feel right now, and that's... really disappointing.

...Also enemies aren't re-evaluating their actions mid-turn should the spellcard phase change and that's really unfortunate, because I really am not sure how easy - or damn near impossible more likely - that'll be to change.  Sigh.
...but I think that's a relatively minor setback, honestly.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #134 on: June 09, 2010, 02:13:05 AM »
...You're actually going to convince me to make Rinnosuke's Last Spell involve cooties at this rate.
........it would actually be really useful @_@

...On another note, Difficulty Balancing is a pain.  Because while I feel I've created a sufficiently rage-inducing Lunatic difficulty that isn't flat out impossible... Normal is sitting at about as easy as EEJI MODO Easy should feel right now, and that's... really disappointing.

...Also enemies aren't re-evaluating their actions mid-turn should the spellcard phase change and that's really unfortunate, because I really am not sure how easy - or damn near impossible more likely - that'll be to change.  Sigh.
...but I think that's a relatively minor setback, honestly.

Well playtesting lunatic before normal is probably more guilty of your problem than the difficulty itself. In addition you know the mechanics inside and out, which gives you a significant boost as well. Last, you ARE only on the first 2 floors right? nuff' said.

As for this spellcard issue, It's hard to really know the ramifications of that without knowing the game well. Does that mean they lose a turn?

As for cooties, I'm deadly serious it should be worthy of consideration. But it's your game and to be frank nobody knows as well as you how well it would fit in. Is the game goofy like most Touhou games, or is it not? If it hasn't been done by someone out there it really should be, but it would have to be appropriate for the game at hand.

Super-important question: Will this game satisfy my armpit craving?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 03:59:26 AM by Ghaleon »

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #135 on: June 09, 2010, 04:12:56 AM »
Well playtesting lunatic before normal is probably more guilty of your problem than the difficulty itself. In addition you know the mechanics inside and out, which gives you a significant boost as well. Last, you ARE only on the first 2 floors right? nuff' said.
Yeah, but let's just say that I never felt any level of threat - hell I was clearing most boss spellcards in one turn.
That's... not right at all.

I think I'm going to set Easy to what Normal was and close up the gap somewhat between the difficulties.  Also, I have a feeling the Extra floor is going to break Touhou tradition and insist on you beating the game on Hard (Which is what I'm aiming to have the "fine line between challenging and bullshit" difficulty) - Normal will allow you to reach the final boss, at least, and Easy will probably cut you off at some earlier point, laughing at you for playing on Easy Modo.  Or you'll try to go to 11F and Barbatos will be there and use Cheap Elimination

As for this spellcard issue, It's hard to really know the ramifications of that without knowing the game well. Does that mean they lose a turn?
No.  It's more like they'll still act like they were in their previous phase for a turn (Basically, if Kana took enough damage to start her spellcard, but she hadn't acted in that given round of combat yet, her action that round would be to  fire danmaku at random like if it was her normal attacks, instead of switching to the attack her spellcard would insist upon)
With that said, upon looking at that, an answer sort of appeared in front of me.

As for cooties, I'm deadly serious it should be worthy of consideration. But it's your game and to be frank nobody knows as well as you how well it would fit in. Is the game goofy like most Touhou games, or is it not? If it hasn't been done by someone out there it really should be, but it would have to be appropriate for the game at hand.
Honestly I'm not sure myself.  Most of this game is very lighthearted... and yet, the theme of the game is wishes, which is something always connected to people's weaknesses and unfulfilled desires, so it's also really sombre and serious at times.
...Either way I think I'm going to go with it.
...And I don't think Rinnosuke will be the only character in the game to use it.  Just, he'll be the only one you can control that gets it.

Super-important question: Will this game satisfy my armpit craving?
Uh...
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 04:19:32 AM by Garlyle »

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #136 on: June 09, 2010, 04:49:27 AM »
Yeah, but let's just say that I never felt any level of threat - hell I was clearing most boss spellcards in one turn.
That's... not right at all.

I think I'm going to set Easy to what Normal was and close up the gap somewhat between the difficulties.  Also, I have a feeling the Extra floor is going to break Touhou tradition and insist on you beating the game on Hard (Which is what I'm aiming to have the "fine line between challenging and bullshit" difficulty) - Normal will allow you to reach the final boss, at least, and Easy will probably cut you off at some earlier point, laughing at you for playing on Easy Modo.  Or you'll try to go to 11F and Barbatos will be there and use Cheap Elimination

If that floats your boat, but may I ask why? Just curious, I never understood why people think it's a good idea to offer less content in easy difficulties. I mean I like hard games myself but I never understood why people who like easy games should be punished with less content *shrugs*.

No.  It's more like they'll still act like they were in their previous phase for a turn (Basically, if Kana took enough damage to start her spellcard, but she hadn't acted in that given round of combat yet, her action that round would be to  fire danmaku at random like if it was her normal attacks, instead of switching to the attack her spellcard would insist upon)
With that said, upon looking at that, an answer sort of appeared in front of me.

That's what I thought but I see that in many many rpgs. For example in Etrian Odyssey, when you nail Hellion down to like 25% health or so, he starts spamming "kingfire". But if you nail him that hard straight 50% to 25% before he even moves on that turn, he'll cast whatever he was going to cast at 50% instead of kingfire (normally embrace or inferno or whatever). But I guess when you actually label these phases and offer bonuses for beating em it's more important to have them more stable.

Honestly I'm not sure myself.  Most of this game is very lighthearted... and yet, the theme of the game is wishes, which is something always connected to people's weaknesses and unfulfilled desires, so it's also really sombre and serious at times.
...Either way I think I'm going to go with it.
...And I don't think Rinnosuke will be the only character in the game to use it.  Just, he'll be the only one you can control that gets it.

Yeah I've been day-dreaming of making my own Touhou game where the story involves seriousness invading and goofiness disappearing or something, but I haven't quite figured out a way to accomplish that story-wise without cranking up the cheese too much >=P. Sounds good that you'll have a balance too >=)

Uh...

Well the fact you don't start with Reimu means you'll have a serious armpit problem!

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #137 on: June 09, 2010, 05:19:57 AM »
If that floats your boat, but may I ask why? Just curious, I never understood why people think it's a good idea to offer less content in easy difficulties. I mean I like hard games myself but I never understood why people who like easy games should be punished with less content *shrugs*.
This is one of those curious things I've picked up on.  In the RPG Maker community, I've heard a lot of statements of "Well, it's cool that you're making multiple difficulties... but why should I play on a tougher one?  Is there going to be anything extra for me if I do?".  Ultimately, I want to give the feeling of rewarding the player for being willing to take on something harder, while still having options available for those who're simply sampling things.

Plus, it is a Touhou game.  If I didn't have Extra be difficulty-related... yeah.

Also, much like how Barbatos in one of the Tales of Destiny games would insta-kill your party if you tried to face him on the easiest difficulty, I suppose the objective is that while I don't want most of the game to be too challenging, there's a lot of content that I want to feel challenging no matter what, and I don't want an "easy" variant of it.  Plus, as enemy stat changes are based on a percentage rate, not a flat increase, it means that the farther you go in the game, the larger the gap between difficulties becomes, and the harder it becomes to keep it relatively balanced without making one difficulty far too insane or one far too easy.  It simplifies how much I have to do myself, and makes the job of actually balancing out the later enemies and bosses into a much more reasonable task.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #138 on: June 10, 2010, 11:10:05 AM »
EDIT because I solved my problem and I'm coming out the other side with a neato Little Thing 8D

I went and overhauled the routine for changing spellcards, doing it in such a way that it triggers a few neat things.  Enemies in this game have HP/MP gauges.  When you're fighting a boss, the HP gauge now empties out once for each phase, and won't actually change phase until the end of that given round.  Once it does, the boss' HP refills, and is now adjusted for the HP of the upcoming phase.  This not only looks neat and fixes the issue of "The boss will do a non-spell attack while in their spellcard phase", but it also prevents the player from crushing through multiple phases at once if they're overlevelled.

The MP bar on bosses also now serves like the various forms of 'spellcard indicators' present throughout the series (Different colored bar segments, stars under the life bar, etc.), allowing you to see your progress through the fight.

I am so glad to have this out of the way finally.
I say that but SOMEWHERE along the line it's going to come back to haunt me I'm sure.

NINJA EDIT FOR THE DEVOTED FAN: My music loops 8D
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 03:26:02 PM by Garlyle »

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #139 on: June 11, 2010, 06:39:32 PM »
NINJA EDIT FOR THE DEVOTED FAN: My music loops 8D

Wow, I thought that would be almost automatic using a tool like RPG maker.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #140 on: June 12, 2010, 04:34:51 AM »
Wow, I thought that would be almost automatic using a tool like RPG maker.
You'd think that, but in truth it's up to figuring out how to actually create an auto-looping OGG.

Which is to say - my music doesn't play all the way through, fade out, and then then start up again.  It actually loops.  Like in an actual game XD

I know it seems like a silly little thing but actually getting it to work is a big thing for me +_+
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 04:39:39 AM by Garlyle »

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #141 on: June 21, 2010, 08:18:23 PM »
You'd think that, but in truth it's up to figuring out how to actually create an auto-looping OGG.

Which is to say - my music doesn't play all the way through, fade out, and then then start up again.  It actually loops.  Like in an actual game XD

I know it seems like a silly little thing but actually getting it to work is a big thing for me +_+

Well of course thats good. I suppose you're spending most of your time working on the gameplay in general now? Not really working on the first 2 floors or whatever anymore?

By looping, does it just loop the whole song without fading (doubt it), or do you actually go from the end (or whatever point you decided) to some point in the middle of the song (not the intro...unless the intro picks up fast enough, or blends well with where you chose to end).

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #142 on: June 21, 2010, 10:05:52 PM »
More or less, yeah.  Although I'm still progressing through it.  I'm trying to secure things to work as I'm sure I want them to, because arranging and organizing things now will make it easier later.

Also, the looping works like in most games: The music will play through an intro bit, usually, and then without fading will continue to play the rest of the song following it, and if I've done my job right you shouldn't be able to tell in most cases when it's actually jumping back in the song.  There's one or two songs where I couldn't find a smooth way to loop, and so the music still fades out and then back in, but those songs still sound really good with that in, so it didn't bother me too much.

Kirin

• Fallen Angel
  • I, the Fallen Angel, will knock you all down!
« Reply #143 on: July 02, 2010, 12:35:04 PM »
I like this quite a bit, so much in fact that I'm letting my first post be in this topic, and to bump it back up to the top of page 1. As a RPGMaker VX user myself, I feel inferior; most of what you say will be in the game is far beyond what I know, am capable of, and have seen on the RMVX.com forums. I'm basically good for only writing (Plot, story, conversations and whatnot), which most people who even plan on making a game have already worked out. xD

Anyways, speed reading through the thread in under an hour might have made me miss a few things, but:

1) Difficulty: This has mostly been addressed, I think. Aside from percentage increases in stats (I'm assuming KGC's Difficulty script?), you have spellcards and phases (Battle Events I presume, although I might be wrong). I'm guessing there're plenty of Common Events, If Then Else Statements and Switches involved. Will you be using the idea of 'using same skill with more effects/power on higher difficulties'?

2) Music: If you are willing to use lower quality music, a bunch of MIDI files might be smaller than a single OGG file. I'm not sure if they'll loop properly, but quality MIDI files can make it so you have plenty of musical options due to you having a lot more to choose from in the first place. This'll let you use everyone's theme at one point or another, such as when they're doing something particularly epic (When they activate a Last Spell, for instance. Have their theme override the battle theme).

Alternatively, have the most 'famous' (Relatively speaking, naturally) theme/remix from each game pop up when a team consisting of characters from those games is made (Say, a team of Meiling, Remilia, Flandre, Patchouli and Sakuya (Interestingly, MotK's spellchecker fixes Patchy's name but not Sakuya's) causes U.N. Owen/McRoll (Lawl) or Night of Nights to play). I personally don't like this idea since it's highly subjective, I'm just throwing it out there. xD

3) Character Balancing: Again, I think you've mostly worked this out. The Tank stat is something I've never seen before, although I know Yanfly and a few others have had stuff involving Aggro. I find the idea of using four different stats to calculate damage interesting, and for the most part sensible. Will this be limited to skills or to attacks? For example, Sakuya herself isn't as fast as say Aya, but she can slow time down and so move 'faster'. Will her attacks then be based on Agility or Strength? Will she be fighting in melee with her knives or at range via throwing? Same for Remilia, will her default 'Attack' command have her throwing Gungnir or stabbing with it, or simply using her claws?

These 'special abilities' that have been thrown around, I assume you'll be using KGC or someone else's Passive Skill scripts to cope?

Looking around the web, I see you have quite a bit of experience with RMVX, so there's little I can help you with except maybe brainstorming or maybe beta testing. In any case, I wish you all the best: I've seen many promising projects fail simply because the project ceases to be worth the trouble to the maker (Either through it losing the 'fun' it offers or otherwise). My own project's currently stalled because I lost interest after having to stay away from it over the exam period. >_<

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #144 on: July 03, 2010, 01:41:58 AM »
Ah, someone who knows RMVX 8D

1. Yeah.  Hell, the coding to get everything working right was a little on the ridiculously complex side and has a lot of stuff custom-coded into the scripts, on top of about 30 different scripts I've used to open up the kind of options that party members have.  And in many cases, yes - skills will hit with more dangerous variants of ailments, for instance, on higher difficulties; or enemy AI favours stronger attack options or gains new ones.

2. Unfortunately, getting midis of Touhou music is really really hard.  Not only that, but you'd be surprised just how small OGG files can get while maintaining really good audio quality and the whole smooth looping thing; it comes out to 1-2mb per song, even when the song's file goes up to like 3-4 minutes.  I know people don't like downloading big files on standard RPG Maker projects, but on the other hand this is a Touhou project, and the standard expectations for music quality and file size are significantly different.
Either way, what you suggested in the latter half is what I'm doing - characters share battle themes based on a grouping, rather than carrying individual themes.

3. TANK is indeed basically Aggro/Odds, and yes, it is in fact Yanfly/KGC's old scripting tools that I'm using to affect it, though in a great many ways.  But anyway!

Default attacks currently are one of four options, which are just standard Danmaku, using one of the stats against a target's singular stat.  Much like Labyrinth of Touhou, the damage isn't high - but on easier difficulties it is a fairly viable option for conserving MP.  As for other attacks, I'm building stuff on a by-character basis.  Some characters use multiple stats in one attack, and that attack might not necessarily be guarded by the exact same stats on the enemy's end (This is all covered in the skill's description, don't worry).

Eh, I hope I answered everything in that @_@

Kirin

• Fallen Angel
« Reply #145 on: July 03, 2010, 04:47:34 AM »
Yes, you've answered most of them. xD

Well, as a Touhou fan who got into the genre almost purely due to the music (I've never cleared ANY of the games, the furthest I've ever gotten is dying to Remilia's first spellcard in EoSD, but I'm blaming that on my determination to only play on Lunatic), I'd personally like as many of the themes I've come to know and love in it as possible. I once tried making a Vocaloid fangame and MIDIs for certain less well known songs were pretty much impossible to find. In my search for them though, I found a site with a bunch of Touhou MIDIs, although I'm not sure where on the web it is now or if it's even still up. I remember trying to decode the MP3s into MIDIs, but due to my lack of expertise in the area it ended up failing pretty epicly. xD

Ninja Edit! :: Also, although an OGG file can be 1-2MB in size, a typical MIDI file can be under 60KB, so you can fit a lot more of 'em in there. Your call though.

I know you're using the Labyrinth of Touhou as the main source of inspiration for this game, and it was speedreading through three threads of >1000 posts and a fourth ongoing thread that made me sign up in the first place. xD

In LoT, the Attack command was damn near useless unless you have a character with ungodly stats in attack such as
Spoiler:
Flandre
or
Spoiler:
Rinnosuke
. Remilia and Yuugi to an extent too. It was more of a 'desperation move' rather than a viable move unless you're using characters geared for 30F on say 6F and below. Will this be the same in your game?

I assume it won't be, to an extent, mostly due to the 'fixed MP' mechanic that you said will be implemented. Healing a percentage of MP after battle probably won't help if the fixed MP value is too low in the first place, I assume, considering SP in LoT can go up to the tens of thousands, making limits pretty much moot (Assuming you don't get hit by a Djinn Storm or Destroy Magic that is).

But I really admire your dedication. On the first page, I saw a huge list of people contributing to the idea of 'combination attacks', and I know for a fact that coding them will be a huge pain in the behind. You'd need a skill for each and a whole bunch of events checking for whether or not they've been used in conjunction, unless you have a script for that.

I remember seeing somewhere in the topic that you were using RMVX's default battle system. As far as I know, Battle Engine Melody, Yanfly's baby, trumps that in almost any way possible. Maybe you could check it out? On his blog, he's also got a script for Party Influenced Music, which might help with the music selection for your party, unless you already have a script that does that.

The main reason I'm suggesting Yanfly's BEM is due to the ATB bar that comes with one or more of its four inbuilt battle systems: In LoT, being able to see when the enemy will act allows for a lot of options, such as switching Chen in for Flight of Idaten spam or swapping out squishies in anticipation of a nuke. I'm not sure if you'll have switching enabled in battle, but the ATB bar, although different to the one in LoT and more in tune with the Grandia style (One universal bar shared by both ally and enemy), might still allow for proper planning.

Of course, if you already have something planned, then feel free to ignore what I've said. xD
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 05:05:17 AM by kirinelf »

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #146 on: July 03, 2010, 07:15:04 AM »
First off, to make it clear: There is no way in hell I am going to rewrite the entirity of the battle system, skills, etc, to work with Melody, especially as I just finished basically rewriting everything I had done up to this point to fix some major issues I noticed with my initial rough creation.

Even though Melody is a great script set, the fact is that I don't need it at all for what I'm doing, and in all honesty, the chief rule of Yanfly systems is that it is not the script itself that makes a good game, but what you do with it.  I distinctly remember him pushing for a long time for people to not feel like they need Tankentai or Minkoff's or anything to create a good battle system, and I treat Melody the same way.  The fact is, that a large number of the scripts I'm using are actually ReDux Engine age (AKA: two full Yanfly script sets ago), which were designed for the original battle system.  They do the job just fine for what I need them to do, and provide me with everything I need, to make happen what I don't have provided for me.  And, believe it or not - I'd actually lose a few of those things if I switched over now.

Ultimately, I'm sticking with the "default" battle system, but with that said, you should be seeing a level of detail in the battles that you wouldn't expect from that title.

Also: Yeah, I know about the Party Influenced Music.  Fun fact: This isn't the first time he's released that script, and the version I've got does the job just fine.  Neat to see that he added multiple tracks and a 'common' pool, but unless things happen wherein I find myself wanting to use that... well, I'm fine as is.

And yes, I know Midi files are stupid-tiny, but I'm still fine with not using them.

On another note, yes, Combination attacks are going to be a bit of a pain - but startlingly, they're all worked out in my head.  I do still plan to implement them - they won't be available for a few floors though, so I'm in no hurry.  If I need to do them via common events, it'll be startlingly easy to actually do so.

And for the attack commands?  They're definitely more usable than in Labyrinth, but even the weakest attacking spellcards will still be doing more damage than it.  It's not as huge of a gap as in Labyrinth though, and even on the hardest difficulties you may still find it usable - just, the faster you kill stuff, the less time that stuff has to whup your ass and make you wish you'd spent the extra MP.

Also, yes, it's still a fixed total of 100... to start.  Some characters have skills which grant them bonuses, plus there's equipment that can modify MP.  They also have a Focus command ala Touhou Labyrinth, which can, again, be modified via equipment to restore more MP, and some characters may restore more (or less) using this command, or between battles.  Some characters will even have skills that can assist their allies in recovering MP during/between battles, and you can get consumable items to help restore HP and MP between battles, so it shouldn't be too difficult to manage MP except in long stretches or battles, or if you overuse your strongest moves.

Kirin

• Fallen Angel
« Reply #147 on: July 03, 2010, 07:23:36 AM »
Well, that basically answers my questions. Seems like you've got this all wrapped up. xD Good luck with your project; I'll be keeping an eye on it due to how much I enjoyed Labyrinth.

Is there anything else I can do to help, or are you fine as is?

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #148 on: July 03, 2010, 07:33:17 AM »
Well, that basically answers my questions. Seems like you've got this all wrapped up. xD Good luck with your project; I'll be keeping an eye on it due to how much I enjoyed Labyrinth.

Is there anything else I can do to help, or are you fine as is?
Well, you said most of your skill was with writing, which is what I consider my first and foremost skill, so I don't think I need a hand there (Although having an editor or someone who can actually look over the text for me in the editor could be nice).

On the other hand, if you happen to be good at creating animations, as that's easily one of my weakpoints and one of the things I find least fun (Although I -am- capable of creating them, and I've come up with a few very nice ones).  If you happen to be good at it, it would be very nice to have a hand in those.

Also all this talking has reminded me that I should boot up VX and goddamn finish the first goddamn floor.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 07:37:45 AM by Garlyle »

Kirin

• Fallen Angel
« Reply #149 on: July 03, 2010, 07:40:50 AM »
By creating them, do you mean something like creating them from scratch like Mr. Bubble does? If that's the case, then I apologize, I can't do anything like that. ^^" I'm no good at vectoring or graphical manipulation. I suppose there really isn't anything I can do but twiddle my thumbs and drool. xD