Author Topic: Touhou Labyrinth discussion thread  (Read 319404 times)

Chaore

• Kai Ni Recipient Many Years Late
  • You Finally Did It, Kadokawa.
Re: Touhou Labyrinth discussion thread
« Reply #540 on: December 20, 2009, 02:01:57 AM »
135ish

Downright your issue. If you can't take out most trash on the floor before it hurts you, You're not beating her.

Milkyway64

• I AM A MAD SCIENTIST. KIND OF.
« Reply #541 on: December 20, 2009, 02:15:13 AM »
Downright your issue. If you can't take out most trash on the floor before it hurts you, You're not beating her.

I can, assuming I have the two previously mentioned people work together. But I get it. About what level would be ideal? I was pretty confident the 20 levels I gained would be enough, but this is Touhou Labyrinth.  :V

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #542 on: December 20, 2009, 02:26:10 AM »
I can, assuming I have the two previously mentioned people work together. But I get it. About what level would be ideal? I was pretty confident the 20 levels I gained would be enough, but this is Touhou Labyrinth.  :V

According to the JP wiki, you want to be at least level 130-150.

I also feel like noting that the suggested level for the first Bloodstained Seal boss was a mere 120, from what I've heard.  So you can go break up the monotony of the grinding with that at some point XD

Chaore

« Reply #543 on: December 20, 2009, 02:33:45 AM »
Safely around 145, Honestly. With everyone pimped out on skill levels. s' a pretty tough fight. :V

Milkyway64

« Reply #544 on: December 20, 2009, 02:53:06 AM »
Safely around 145, Honestly. With everyone pimped out on skill levels. s' a pretty tough fight. :V

My main 8's stats are all around level 50 right now. Working on the other four and then some other members I like.

I also feel like noting that the suggested level for the first Bloodstained Seal boss was a mere 120, from what I've heard.  So you can go break up the monotony of the grinding with that at some point XD

Funny you would mention that. All throughout the game, I made return trips to this boss to get my ass handed to me. I did just that a few minutes ago to gauge my progress, and to my utter shock, won. Easily. It's much like the floor 7 boss. Live past the opener and you win.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #545 on: December 20, 2009, 03:03:30 AM »
Pretty sure I was 130-140 with Reimu on the final boss. It DID take forever though, I said I'd spend over an hour fighting only to wipe at the very end, I wasn't exagerating.

The add on the right is indeed beefy as @%@#%@. Also in case you haven't noticed, the more you damage the boss (and her adds) the faster she gets (and I don't mean speed buffs simply). Also, for every add you kill, the boss, as well as her adds gain new abilities and power. This is completely gradual, so there is no point in trying buff up before a certain threshold or whatever.

From what I've seen:

top add: I like to kill this one first (it has very little health too), even though the one on the far right is heavily damaged by the time it comes out, this is because it spams status ailments, I really hate the toxin one. Even with over 30 poison resistance, it brings people with near-20k health to 1 in no time flat. If you decide to try killing this one last, it can cast djinn storm...which might not be too bad since the boss can cast it too.

Left add: Doesn't seem to do any new tricks as you kill more adds other than "magic jitsu" after you kill the other 2, which buffs mag by 100%. Even still, it doesn't seem very threatening unless it casts ether flare, in which case it hurts somewhat. But still is a reasonably powerful enemy. 100% mag from magic jitsu followed by ether flare does NOT result in you getting screwed, thank goodness. Note, the add is **RIDICULOUSLY** weak to fire. My royal flares would cream it for 200,000. It doesn't sound like much now, but at that time a full sp 100% mag master spark would only hit for 300kish for me. Speaking of master spark, I recommend using it on the top add as soon as it spawns if you decide to kill it first, otherwise use it on the right. Don't hoard it for the boss herself after, it will no doubt be wasted by a djinn storm.

Right add: ***DO NOT*** leave this one last intentionally. If you do, it will eventually spam scourge at some point...That move diamond knights have which its for 200,000. I notice later on in the fight it can cast something alot like sakuya's soul-sculpture. This move is physical and it hurts the entire party. While hyperspace slash and samidere slash might not waste physical weak casters in the back, this ability most likely will. I really suggest killing it asap after the top middle is down

After you kill all 3 adds, the boss gains the ability to djinn storm, and some sort of +50% everything buff, and hyperactive-something or other (her biggest nuke...which thankfully isn't huge, but if she does the everything buff right before, it might single-handedly cause you to lose the entire fight), oh, and she starts to move ridiculously fast. Sword of rapture PARTIALLY works on her at this point, it will get rid of her speed and mag buffs (I think it was mag, maybe mnd, I forget). But leave the rest. Even without the speed buffs though she still moves much faster at this point anyway.

Regardless, you may want to just farm floor 20 trash over and over until you get 1 of each rare drop from the enemies since you will have to farm them anyway after you beat the final boss for a star.

Milkyway64

« Reply #546 on: December 20, 2009, 03:13:19 AM »
Regardless, you may want to just farm floor 20 trash over and over until you get 1 of each rare drop from the enemies since you will have to farm them anyway after you beat the final boss for a star.

I'm totally doing this. I'm just going to level for a while longer. Long battles are all good, but if I have a good chance of dying after an hour then screw it.

When the time comes, I'm following your advice. Top, right, left. Got it.

Is it a good idea to wail on the right add exclusively when it appears, or also wear down the boss too so that end-fight phase doesn't last as long?

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #547 on: December 20, 2009, 03:17:31 AM »
Eh, I'm not sure, I just do the right exclusively myself because it lets you do silly things like not having a tank out since the boss herself doesn't seem to have any physical attacks, which I wouldn't dare do while it's still out.

I think it was pesco who liked killing the top last. My own party setup has high ailment resistance on the people who can cure them, but hte rest of my group not so much (except for Remi simply so  I don't have to cure every time I curse). You might wanna try sparing the top for last if you're mostly resistance to all ailments (including death, top middle spams a death move alot too).

Dark Shikari

« Reply #548 on: December 20, 2009, 06:55:30 AM »
I'm totally lost on 12F, not sure if I did something wrong with the switches or what.  I've explored a huge amount of 10-12 but I have a large number of switches which I simply cannot figure out how to open.  I've got to the point where you can flip on all three switches with a single switch and explored back down to floor 10 with the separate sets of stairs, but I still have no idea how the switches work or how to open all the paths that are still blocked to me.

I've tried all the combinations I can think of and nothing seems to do anything: for example, in the aforementioned area, you need all 3 switches set to go through the gate to go down the stairs.  However, there's only one switch accessible beyond these gates, and if you flip it, you cannot go back through the gates.  More importantly, no matter if it's switched or not, you can't access any of the gates down below through that area.

I'm stumped.  What do I do?

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #549 on: December 20, 2009, 07:10:54 AM »
Slashing Amneshery has 600k HP. Dimension Slash has added instant death, Fuuissen adds Silence, and Triple Sword has a high skill multiplier. As mentioned by Ghaleon, it gets Scourge in berserk mode, so get rid of it second. Chanting Torastli is a caster guy and has magic of every element EXCEPT Wind, which is reserved for one of Amneshery's attacks (Tornado). Torastli has 500k HP and is the least tanky of the three minions. It's easily the least dangerous of the three as Magic Amplifier doesn't really help it a whole lot. Watching Yggmalzy is the status whore, and has the most HP, with 800k. Not only does Yggmalzy have Paralysis, Poison, Silence, Instant Death, AND Statbusting, but Yggmalzy CAN ALSO BUFF EVERYONE ON ITS TEAM >_> So you really have to get rid of it first.

By the way each of the minions have weaknesses.
Amneshery weak to: Wind
Torastli weak to: Fire
Yggmalzy weak to: Spirit

After using Overflowing Unnatural Strength, the boss becomes very dangerous. She gains several new attacks, Hazard Toxin and Destructive Four Borders being the most dangerous (Hazard Toxin poisons, DFB statbusts). Oh and she gets Djinn Hell Storm too.

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #550 on: December 20, 2009, 07:26:11 AM »
I'm still stuck with the 14F bitches, nowhere near the final boss.

A technical question on equips: 33 levels of stats = 100% boost. Given that the mechanic of boosts is simple additive, what level of stats purchase is the inflection point that makes gear obsolete? I mean by then that you don't equip for stats but for resists and recovery only.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #551 on: December 20, 2009, 07:42:48 AM »
I'm still stuck with the 14F bitches, nowhere near the final boss.

A technical question on equips: 33 levels of stats = 100% boost. Given that the mechanic of boosts is simple additive, what level of stats purchase is the inflection point that makes gear obsolete? I mean by then that you don't equip for stats but for resists and recovery only.

Later on you get gear that gives 200+% boosts >_>

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #552 on: December 20, 2009, 08:05:27 AM »
I'm totally lost on 12F, not sure if I did something wrong with the switches or what.  I've explored a huge amount of 10-12 but I have a large number of switches which I simply cannot figure out how to open.  I've got to the point where you can flip on all three switches with a single switch and explored back down to floor 10 with the separate sets of stairs, but I still have no idea how the switches work or how to open all the paths that are still blocked to me.

I've tried all the combinations I can think of and nothing seems to do anything: for example, in the aforementioned area, you need all 3 switches set to go through the gate to go down the stairs.  However, there's only one switch accessible beyond these gates, and if you flip it, you cannot go back through the gates.  More importantly, no matter if it's switched or not, you can't access any of the gates down below through that area.

I'm stumped.  What do I do?

The triple switch at the F12 relay point sets them all to allow you to pass the triple-color barrier.  If you go past them, you will need to find switches on the other side to get past further gates.

There's one switch of each color past that set of three gates.  There's also two Failsafe Locks (One is after a green gate to the north; the other requires you to throw all three colored switches [Green -> Red -> Green Again -> Blue] to access it).

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #553 on: December 20, 2009, 08:09:11 AM »
Common drop or rare? And do the bosses in boss rush mode have their drops too? E.g. You can farm boss rush Meiling for Unwavering Wills.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #554 on: December 20, 2009, 09:26:00 AM »
Slashing Amneshery has 600k HP. Dimension Slash has added instant death, Fuuissen adds Silence, and Triple Sword has a high skill multiplier. As mentioned by Ghaleon, it gets Scourge in berserk mode, so get rid of it second. Chanting Torastli is a caster guy and has magic of every element EXCEPT Wind, which is reserved for one of Amneshery's attacks (Tornado). Torastli has 500k HP and is the least tanky of the three minions. It's easily the least dangerous of the three as Magic Amplifier doesn't really help it a whole lot. Watching Yggmalzy is the status whore, and has the most HP, with 800k. Not only does Yggmalzy have Paralysis, Poison, Silence, Instant Death, AND Statbusting, but Yggmalzy CAN ALSO BUFF EVERYONE ON ITS TEAM >_> So you really have to get rid of it first.

By the way each of the minions have weaknesses.
Amneshery weak to: Wind
Torastli weak to: Fire
Yggmalzy weak to: Spirit

After using Overflowing Unnatural Strength, the boss becomes very dangerous. She gains several new attacks, Hazard Toxin and Destructive Four Borders being the most dangerous (Hazard Toxin poisons, DFB statbusts). Oh and she gets Djinn Hell Storm too.

Hmmm. her nastiest spell I recall was hyperactive something. I'll check again later I suppose.

But I KNOW the slashing thingie has more hp than 600k.. But the one time I tried saving it for last, it did indeed seem to die faster.

Is it possible they share hp to a certain extent at first, or something wonky?

update:
K I frapsed myself fighting her, the far right add took millions of damage before going down, but did seem to take an awfully close number to 600k as soon as the 3rd add appeared. I think attacking adds hurts the boss instead, and until all 3 are out...You get the idea.

Quadruple destructive barrier hits my party for 0s across the board except for hong, who got nailed for 800 (OMG OUCH! >=P), and the boss was buffed at around 20% at the time, and hong had no buffs. After awhile, I recorded her casting "hyperdimensional flying object". No buffs on hong, and the boss actually lost her buffs at that point (funny, she'd cast it all the time back when she was more level appropriate, not fair how easy she goes on you when she knows she has no chance >=P). It damaged everyone (even patchy, and her mnd is near 30000 now I think). hong 6k, remi 5k, reimu 2k, and patchy for 264 (almost 1shot her with her bad hp..ok maybe not).
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 09:51:41 AM by Ghaleon »

Krimmydoodle

• We must apply more SCIENCE!
« Reply #555 on: December 20, 2009, 10:55:03 AM »
Just beat the crap out of 18F.  Makes me wonder how I lost the first time.

*wonders how much more of a pain this would have been if there was a Djinn Storm preceding every form shift.

Edit: Holy what the crap Diamond Knights.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 11:11:11 AM by Krim »
Whether you're on Easy or you're a Lunatic, be damn proud of your accomplishments.  Don't let anyone convince you otherwise, for it's when you lose faith in your own achievements that those victories become defeats.

Milkyway64

« Reply #556 on: December 20, 2009, 11:14:04 AM »
Went to 155. Destroyed final boss. Ran right to boss rush. First try clear with 0 casualties. Went to get destroyed by MK. 2 bosses. Beat all of the ones I have tried (maybe half-1/3ed) with little trouble save Alice and
Spoiler:
mokou

Things are moving very smoothly, as all this boss killing puts me at 170 or so.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #557 on: December 20, 2009, 01:59:03 PM »
K I frapsed myself fighting her, the far right add took millions of damage before going down, but did seem to take an awfully close number to 600k as soon as the 3rd add appeared. I think attacking adds hurts the boss instead, and until all 3 are out...You get the idea.

I list HP values only when all 3 are out!

Hyperspeed Dimensional Object is wind elemental if that helps

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #558 on: December 20, 2009, 04:09:28 PM »
Kay, fully explored 16F except for the Sigil warps, and now I'm at the point where every boss I can fight just rapes me. There is the 15F optional, 15F Lily Sigil Guardian, and the 16F boss. Well, I'm working on getting the battle points to fight the second 12F optional too, but not there yet.

Anyway, Reimu Lv72, am I right that I just need to grind like 10 levels or am I doing it wrong? Because I'm really not looking forward to that x_X
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Krimmydoodle

• We must apply more SCIENCE!
« Reply #559 on: December 20, 2009, 04:49:55 PM »
I didn't bother with either of the 15F optional bosses until I got stuck at 18F.  At Lv100 or so, I may have been a bit overpowered for them by then, but I definitely didn't go for them at Lv72.  As for 16F, I believe I finished her off at Lv90 (again, may have been a bit overpowered, mainly because I was still trying for no casualties at this time, although I eventually gave up at that).  At that point, 16F's first two phases were easy sauce and the third phase was about beating her down before she gets out of hand (her buffs are ridiculous). 

Because of the severe SP handicap that Djinn Storm places on you between phases, you'll want lots of +Recovery on your important characters, and I used Minoriko for cheap healing as well.  Since everyone's SP will be hitting 0 anyway, don't be afraid to spend that SP at the beginning of the fight.  Throw up plenty of Hakurei Barriers, and keep your characters buffed and healed (and be especially wary of status ailments, because if someone is poisoned and you don't cure it before a Djinn Storm, they're going to be a sitting marshmallow until you regain the SP to fix it).  Also, I would recommend Concentrating Marisa early, benching her with the buff intact, and saving her for a last stand Master Spark at the end of the fight.  Like I said, you want to beat her down before she gets out of hand, and Master Spark is the spell you want when you want to hit hard and fast.

Of course, more grinding is the one strategy that will never fail you, so getting those battle points that you need for the sidequest may be something you want to do, as far as a bare minimum goal for grinding.
Whether you're on Easy or you're a Lunatic, be damn proud of your accomplishments.  Don't let anyone convince you otherwise, for it's when you lose faith in your own achievements that those victories become defeats.

« Reply #560 on: December 20, 2009, 05:40:00 PM »
Kay, fully explored 16F except for the Sigil warps, and now I'm at the point where every boss I can fight just rapes me. There is the 15F optional, 15F Lily Sigil Guardian, and the 16F boss. Well, I'm working on getting the battle points to fight the second 12F optional too, but not there yet.

Anyway, Reimu Lv72, am I right that I just need to grind like 10 levels or am I doing it wrong? Because I'm really not looking forward to that x_X

For the Lily Sigil guardian, you'll want to buff your tanks with NTR resistance to avoid getting destroyed by Giant Earthquake. Debuffs work well, so try cutting the boss' attack and speed down; at -50% attack he was pretty harmless (did ~2k damage to my lvl 60-ish Remilia; he didn't use retsetsu fist however). Wiki lists recommended level as 55-65, which seems suspiciously low to me, but there you go.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 05:43:23 PM by Functorial »

Anima Zero

• Captain of the Spear
« Reply #561 on: December 20, 2009, 06:09:02 PM »
Acquired a new character on 14F.  Not exactly an easy fight.  Only had 3-4 people left standing at the end.

Also just now took out the Lily Sigil Guardian.  More or less prayed my main attackers didn't get a fist to the face and killed off right away.

Looks like I get to see what those magic circles on 16F take me to.

After that..grinding so I can go after the 2nd 12F optional.
"I never cared about justice, and I don't recall ever calling myself a hero..." Zero, Mega Man Zero 4

« Reply #562 on: December 20, 2009, 06:37:15 PM »
Hey, which do you guys think is better between
Spoiler:
Yuugi's
attacks? The one that hits really hard for neutral damage at 30 SP, the fire one with laughable delay afterward, or the low-damage one that can inflict poison and paralysis?

Largely wondering, because I'm finding most bosses are vulnerable to at least one of the two status effects, but I'm not sure if losing turns/taking gradual damage will compensate for the loss in power.

EDIT: You people lied to me. First, Chaore: Aquabitch doesn't even *HAVE* a magic-based spell. Both
Spoiler:
Kappa Illusion Waterfall and Extending Arm
deal damage based on her strength and the enemy's defense (despite how the former looks). Next, her HP isn't bad if you pump some levels into it, and she has some pretty good natural tolerances (fire being the only bad one). While I doubt I'll be using her long-term, she's at least more reasonable than she's been given credit for.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 07:50:50 PM by AlexX »

"What do you mean 'stop repeating everything you say'?"

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #563 on: December 20, 2009, 10:12:57 PM »
Went to 155. Destroyed final boss. Ran right to boss rush. First try clear with 0 casualties. Went to get destroyed by MK. 2 bosses. Beat all of the ones I have tried (maybe half-1/3ed) with little trouble save Alice and
Spoiler:
mokou

Things are moving very smoothly, as all this boss killing puts me at 170 or so.

I found hong to be more difficult than Alice personally >=P. Then there's chen, who did 0 the whole fight lol. But the only mk2 bosses that I felt were noticeably more difficult than the others were
Spoiler:
flandre, and yukari
. You should try the bloodstained seal guardians too. Bear in mind there is a secret portal thingie in the top left hand corner of floor 9 I think it was, which you can only access with 2 stars, leading to a bloodstained seal you would not have discovered until now. That's probably the last one you can take on, maybe the floor 20 one too, though I found that one to be approximately as difficult as the first spoiler character (not the 2nd, the 2nd was definately the roughest by far).

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #564 on: December 20, 2009, 10:19:31 PM »
Hey, which do you guys think is better between
Spoiler:
Yuugi's
attacks?

EDIT: You people lied to me. First, Chaore: Aquabitch doesn't even *HAVE* a magic-based spell. Both
Spoiler:
deal damage based on her strength and the enemy's defense (despite how the former looks). Next, her HP isn't bad if you pump some levels into it, and she has some pretty good natural tolerances (fire being the only bad one). While I doubt I'll be using her long-term, she's at least more reasonable than she's been given credit for.

For Yuugi's attacks, ko in 3 steps is more effective at pwning armored foes. So, it's probably better when fighting someone heavily armored (not that the first move is bad at going past armor either, it's just the other one is better. Otherwise I'd go for  the first. Seems like most bosses in this game have little armor though. I'm *PRETTY* sure ko in three steps doesn't do fire damage, that it's just a typo. The typo was originally in Japanese, so the english translators intentionally re-typod it...If I recall correctly.

As for aqua-bitch (I mean seriously, is that not spelling it out? lol), I personally never said she was useless (though I know you didn't call me out), but I just never gave her a chance because she didn't offer anything that I really needed (such as speed debuffs and whatnot since I don't use cirno), so I never really cared to give her a chance because at that point all the characters in my party were ones I either liked or needed.

I actually want to start this game over sometime using characters that I didn't use the first time. The game really feels balanced for difficulty compared to most rpgs. All indications show that the designers for game balance and difficulty did an excellent job, so I rekon that the characters are mostly balanced somehow in their own way too. But maybe not, I intend to try and find out >=).

With 12 characters though, there is no straight good and bad neccesarily for each character, you have to try and have each other accomodate for the others weaknesses and such.

Chaore

« Reply #565 on: December 20, 2009, 10:21:33 PM »
Spoiler:
Huh, Well, That makes her sufficiently less crap to not be terrible beyond all belief. Shes still far worse than most characters. : / If you're worrying about tolerances, you're doing it -wrong-.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #566 on: December 20, 2009, 10:44:43 PM »
If you're worrying about tolerances, you're doing it -wrong-.
Pretty sure tolerances are actually important post-end game. This is when your stats are in the 10s of thousands, or possibly hundreds of thousands for your big ones. Most damage formulas are often something like 1-5X (1-5Xmag/atck - 0.5-2.0Xdef/mnd).

so when mag and mnd are huge ass numbers. a simple 50 fire tolerance would reduce damage from some nuke that hits for 100,000 or whatever more than 50, or even 500 mnd would.

« Reply #567 on: December 20, 2009, 11:30:09 PM »
If you're worrying about tolerances, you're doing it -wrong-.
Lies and slander.

The floor 7 boss managed to take out Minoriko in a single hit, despite the harvest goddess actually having reasonable MDef. Granted, she's no magic tank like Marisa or Patchy, but being in the last slot with reasonable Mdef would definitely allow her to normally take at least ONE hit.

Tried upping her mind with her own buff. Didn't do crap to save her. Gave her an item to increase her fire defense. She could now take a hit and thus survive long enough to heal my first two slot tanks.

Chaore

« Reply #568 on: December 20, 2009, 11:34:36 PM »
Still not proving me wrong, especially on base tolerances there. I also note you're using Minoriko to heal multiple characters. Not exactly the smartest idea. :V

Endgame I can see it for sure- You also have insane items that can boost all affinities by 100, If you're ever so desperate. Along with quite a few good items already having affinity boosts. If you're downright -ever- worried about a character's affinities, something is up.

« Reply #569 on: December 20, 2009, 11:41:38 PM »
Still not proving me wrong, especially on base tolerances there. I also note you're using Minoriko to heal multiple characters. Not exactly the smartest idea. :V
Sorry, I worded that poorly. I meant she CAN heal either one, not that she heals both. Since my first two slots were Hong and someone I forgot, she could heal either, but since Hong has a pretty awesome self-heal I could usually just have her use that and have Minoriko heal the other.

High base tolerances mean less you have to invest in skill levels for them. I had to prep my team specifically for fighting Cirno and the boss on the 7th floor, skill points that would have been nice to spend on offensive stats. If I had aquabitch from the start I would have only needed to prep her for the floor 7 boss since all the ones prior use elements she resists just fine on her own (Youmu and her nature-based slashes included).