Author Topic: Origin of your fandom...  (Read 48543 times)

KingofBaka

• The Strongest!
  • and the Dumbest!
Re: Origin of your fandom...
« Reply #150 on: December 10, 2013, 04:47:18 PM »
Last year, I was on a trip for my club. We were heading up to Megacon in Orlando. I was just playing Final Fantasy Duodecum  when I looked next to me. I saw 2 kids playing against each other in UNL. I watched for a while before asking if I could join. They let me practice before I actually started fighting against the other kids there.  I never won a match but I enjoyed playing the game.

On the way back from Megacon, we played some more UNL. Then, he said that he wanted to play some of the shooters. He showed me a replay of him clearing the EoSD Extra stage. He also tried to beat the UFO Extra stage with Marissa, but he got a game over on the Green UFO spellcard. ( I can't look it up right now).

Ever since then, I have been obsessed with Touhou. But I don't know anyone in the school who knows about Touhou and the guy who introduced me to Touhou graduated last year.
Normal 1cc: IN,EoSD,MoF,PCB,LoLK-P(403 Retries(Hope to Improve))
Extra Clear:PCB
ISC: All Stages Clear !

Kurosun

• Utsuho's disciple
  • Long life to the Danmaku!
    • Dragged and Trapped (my fiction)
« Reply #151 on: December 10, 2013, 09:29:48 PM »
I'm not truly sure which one of the two reasons came up first, so I'll say them both...
Once I saw an Italian Youtube channel that speaks about video games that had made a few recension about games labelled as "impossible", showing them one after another, and in between them there was Touhou Project as well. I had only heard about it a few times on the net before that time, but what he showed looked really interesting and challenging, so I decided to give it a try sooner or later.
Then I can't remember if this other "triggering event" has happened before or later, however, time ago I used to play Osu a lot, as a few friends found out about it and got me into it as well. While downloading songs I eventually ended up on Japanese tracks, and one of those was "Tsurupettan" by Silver Forest. The song caught me at the first time playing the track, so I moved it onto my mobile. Curious about the whereabouts of the song and creators, I found out about Silver Forest and that it was a re-arrangement of a Touhou Project song. After listening to a few other songs I couldn't take it any longer and went to find a download for one of the games, ending up with Touhou 1, Touhou 2 and Touhou 8 (which I had already tried to download a few months after it was released, but at that time my connection probably failed on me and I found again just a touhou-08-IN.part file in my computer), playing them and literally falling in love with Imperishable Night. From that moment I started downloading fan made games, official games and their spin offs, etc, etc. Well, this is how I got into Touhou, but my dream is still this: Be able to find somewhere to buy the original copies of the games so that I can contribute to ZUN and prove my love for this series.

« Reply #152 on: December 11, 2013, 01:07:34 AM »
I found out about it on TV Tropes somehow.  I tried EoSD first, but got stopped after a week.  A year later, I picked up MoF, and got sucked in through the wiki.
Normal 1cc: EoSD (ReimuA, MarisaA), IN (Border Team)
My first 1cc!

Neal Kawashiro

• The yokai of the 7th element
  • Drums, A smooth Rai~ko!(from youtube)
« Reply #153 on: December 11, 2013, 10:27:42 AM »
 Listened to this, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tds0qoxWVss, then i searched UN OWEN WAS HER, then i saw flan, searched EOSD, saw the extra stage, became touhou fan.
Raiko!Raiko!Raiko Sama~!

ViciousYukkuri

• Casually Hardcore
  • All is best 2hu.
« Reply #154 on: December 11, 2013, 12:13:43 PM »
I was working a convention (I don't remember which one, but I think it was Anime Minneapolis 2012) and one of the games we had set up there was Soku. I played it once. Then again. Then for hours. Then when I went home, I got it myself, played it with my roommates and got the rest of the games. Next thing I know, I'm annoying my friends with my fanboying love of the series.
I finally got my first Normal 1cc. ReimuA, TD.
I have a noob stream now. Mostly Touhou, fangames, Warframe and League of Legends.
Currently playing: Nothing until ESO is out.

Paz legalces

• Namusan
  • Howdy, I am Potato
    • Touhou Project FB
« Reply #155 on: December 28, 2013, 08:00:51 AM »
My first exposure to the Touhou series was through McRoll -__-"
...but I did not get into the series aside from appreciating the funny music from the clip @v@... not until years later where I watched Nico Nico Douga Ryuuseigun Medley Anniversary Mix... which also feature the McRoll and other Touhou stuffs as well. The medley piqued my interest and I tried to discover the series by downloading Touhou 6... trying to see what it's about...
...let's just say the game has awakened my primal M mode... and I have been a Touhou fan since
Also the only music I ever listen to is video games music... so getting into Touhou was like a match made in heaven for me

« Reply #156 on: December 29, 2013, 02:34:49 AM »
BrainScratchComms's playthrough of the Touhouvania series is how I was first introduced. None of them are into Touhou, so the playthroughs are not as enjoyable when you're reminded of that. I guess my official introduction was RoahmMythril's playthrough of Imperishable Night. He's actually into the series, so he had that going for him. I was interested in Mokou's theme, so I downloaded it. I did listen to it often despite not being into Touhou yet. I noticed that MegaMari was on his list of future LPs. That was my first Touhou game (technically), and the first few playthroughs went about as well as you'd expect. I watched those three again, and I decided to give the games a legitimate chance. Since Imperishable Night was busy being on my computer, I played that one. It went about as well as you'd expect on Easy, but it's job was done. Though I suck at the games, I was addicted. I had fallen madly in love with Touhou...

« Reply #157 on: December 29, 2013, 12:27:59 PM »
I'd seen pictures of the characters about, say in peoples forum avatars and signatures etc, and I think I asked someone what their sig/avatar was from and they explained Touhou to me. The first Touhou video I saw as the Ronald Mcdonald/Flandre one, haha.

« Reply #158 on: January 01, 2014, 04:58:39 AM »
Mine was watching a video on Youtube of the Fresh Prince of Bel Air and UN Owen being combined. It sounded interesting and I did some research on the interwebs. Then I played EoSD and got instantly hooked on the series.

« Reply #159 on: January 01, 2014, 09:58:00 PM »
I first learned of Touhou via YouTube Poop. It all started around late 2008-early 2009 when I watched a YTPMV that combine Dr. Rockso with U.N. Owen Was Her. Feeling rather curious, I googled Touhou and stumbled upon various flash animations including Touhou Sweets and Cirno's Perfect Math Class. The rest is history.

« Reply #160 on: January 03, 2014, 09:23:57 PM »
I'm going to try not to make this story too long haha. A good friend of mine years ago introduced me to anime and manga, which led to my love of Japanese music and artwork. After spending some time on a fanart site, I realized that there were a lot of pictures tagged "Touhou" that I could easily tell apart from the others without seeing any names or tags (and I had no idea what Touhou was). The characters were very recognizable. I thought I was pretty familiar with anime and wondered why I didn't know what this "Touhou" was :P So I did a search on Google for "What is Touhou" and gathered that it was a game of some kind. I still didn't understand it very well. I decided to randomly pick Imperishable Night to try first (so glad I did) and late one night I started it up and began my addiction.

I was horrible at the game at first (couldn't get past Wriggle on easy mode. Yes, please laugh!) but despite how hard it seemed, I wanted to keep playing. Something in the game encouraged me that I COULD do it. Each time I started over I got better at reading the patterns, and what my eyes first dismissed as "too busy to keep up with" soon began to look clearer and easier. Little paths of escape were open everywhere, and with some practice and confidence, I would be safe from all the beautiful and scary lights.

And the music was so beautiful! Even if I hadn't heard it before (that I knew of) it sounded familiar and instantly lovable. The text was all in Japanese and I couldn't read it so I pieced together what was going on (in a way) from the music, a universal language. Once I knew more about the setting and characters I was kind of enthralled with how everyone could be friends or enemies so easily without violence (if you don't call Danmaku battles violence!), and how no matter how friendly anyone was with someone else there seemed to be no holds barred if they were determined to fight, and the system theoretically encouraged characters to give it their all without necessarily killing anyone :P

I've come a long way since those times and am deeply in love with the Touhou series setting, characters and music. Imagine the disappointment when I learn Zun was coming to a city a few hours drive away, on my birthday no less, and I wouldn't be able to go haha. Oh well. None of my friends know what Touhou is (or they're not interested, they'd rather listen to "modern" music) so I thought I'd look for an online community of fellow Touhou lovers and found this place ^^

Cybeast710

• CAPCOM MAN
  • OBJECTION!
    • My Let's Plays!
« Reply #161 on: January 03, 2014, 10:04:42 PM »

I was horrible at the game at first (couldn't get past Wriggle on easy mode. Yes, please laugh!) but despite how hard it seemed, I wanted to keep playing. Something in the game encouraged me that I COULD do it. Each time I started over I got better at reading the patterns, and what my eyes first dismissed as "too busy to keep up with" soon began to look clearer and easier. Little paths of escape were open everywhere, and with some practice and confidence, I would be safe from all the beautiful and scary lights.

I would laugh, but I kept losing to Rumia. This ALSO means that in a way, I would get the worst possible ending for EoSD. Since Rumia was ACTUALLY going to kill the heroine afterwards by devouring her.

Also, yeah, I picked a hell of a first game to start with... EoSD... The one Windows game where you CAN'T SEE YOUR HITBOX...
My fanfics: Touhou Wrecks X!
What happens when Nue's in a pranky mood and at the same time, Yukari's bored? Pokemon XD: Impostor of Darkness
I made this cool matrixy eye:

« Reply #162 on: January 05, 2014, 10:00:28 PM »
Also, yeah, I picked a hell of a first game to start with... EoSD... The one Windows game where you CAN'T SEE YOUR HITBOX...

I'm assuming you didn't know about the hitbox patch at the time? I, too, started out with EoSD, but I had the hitbox patch so it was all good. I was still horrible at the game though

« Reply #163 on: January 18, 2014, 04:25:50 AM »
let's see... it started about a year and a half ago when im see one of my college dormmates wrecking imperishable night on lunatic, my roommate gets one look, gets extremely frightened and walks away, i stare at the screen as he's going and immediately want to try it out, on lunatic no less, after getting kicked in the face i kept at it and at it, (on normal though) till i eventually got the 1cc, it wasn't until after this that i realized how large and diverse the fandom was similar to the vocaloid one that im in initially, after reading articles and browsing fanart and fangames, i was hooked

Szayelaporro Granz

• You can't use spellcards within my range
  • since I've already analyzed and sealed them all
« Reply #164 on: January 18, 2014, 06:12:58 PM »
The very first glimpse of Touhou I catched was back in 2009, when I saw an IOSYS video "Artificial Children" on youtube which I like a lot up until now. Few days later I searched for the featured character aka Alice in that song via google and I found a Touhou wiki. Then during my stay in my home country Indonesia I bought a game magazine as usual and I found a page of windows Touhou gameplay. At first I wasn't interested in it, but a year or two later I reread the magazine again and Touhou finally ignited my interest. After lurking in Touhou wiki and the videos on youtube for days and hours and finally  became very tempted to play it, I started searching for a way to download the official games. I played my very first Touhou game, GFW (how strange), and immediately commented on its high difficulty on easy. Since that day I become determined to ace Touhou shmups :)
Normal 1cc: LLS, MS, EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, UFO, TD, DDC / Hard 1cc: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF*, TD / Lunatic 1cc: PoFV / Extra 1cc: EoSD, PCB (+P), IN, PoFV, MoF, DDC
*Bug abuse.
Feel free to watch my crappy replays and twitch channel
My favorite touhou music

« Reply #165 on: January 21, 2014, 12:34:22 AM »
I knew about Touhou much longer  before I first started playing the games from videos such as Bad Apple.

But I think my obsession truly started a few years ago when I saw a couple of the Fantasy Kaleidoscope anime episodes.  I was pretty amazed at its quality, being fanmade and all, so I explored more of Touhou's enormous fanbase, and got hooked on the incredible and beautiful music.   I remember going on the wiki and reading about each of the characters and even reading all the in-game dialogue. 
Finally, I think I just decided to give the games a try and picked a random game to play.  (Mountain of Faith, and I remember struggling to get past the first stage of easy!  That's how amazingly terrible I was.  And I didn't understand the faith system at all.  xD)  But I did get better at it, and I really started to love the music, the characters, the story, and of course the whole dedicated fanbase.  I started reading a bunch of manga and doujins as well.   
Pretty soon, I got fascinated with the world of Gensokyo, and I've been a huge Touhou fan ever since.  ^^

« Reply #166 on: January 22, 2014, 02:25:38 AM »
I befriended a random person at a random forum because they went under a vocaloid-related username and vocaloid was *~my obsession~* at the time (early 2009). That person had this... blog about Touhou, and the first thing I saw were their video-entries filled with IOSYS remixes. As soon as I noticed that the cast was entirely made up by girls it became my new obsession :V.  Which developed (?) slowly, because there was so little info about Touhou in Spanish ;u;... (my English wasn't very good. It still isn't ;A;).

I got to play PoFV shortly after, told my friends about it, etc, here I am.

춤추는 작은 까탈레나~

Moogs Parfait

• SPRING
  • Plz Send Naps
    • Danmaku!! Official Site
« Reply #167 on: January 25, 2014, 11:02:33 PM »
It had to be a combination of taste drift from Vocaloid music and seeing so much Touhou on Danbooru.  I eventually came to appreciate the character designs a lot.

EndlessBlue

• The Youkai Lingering in the Past
  • The moment you realize no one cares.
« Reply #168 on: January 30, 2014, 02:22:08 PM »
I found out about Touhou watching a Touhouvania let's play on Youtube. Then I searched up Patchouli's name on thr wikia page. Then watched a let's play of Imperishable Night and become hooked.
You should always try your best. Or use my strategy and hug the bottom and pray not to die.

« Reply #169 on: February 02, 2014, 08:23:52 AM »
My first exposure to Touhou was back when I was still playing Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas on the PC. I downloaded a mod that lets you change the skin of CJ. Among them was a custom skin by the mod author, a Renko Usami one. I loved her character design, and immediately looked her up and found out what Touhou is, discovering that it was a bullet hell game and the characters were all girls. Knowing that I suck at arcade-y games, I easily forgot everything about it.

My second exposure was when I was playing Fate/Extra. Stuck at some point in the game, I searched for a walkthrough on the internet. I found a really good one on Cirnopoly's blog, a blog of a major Cirno fan. Finding the character cute, I looked her up again, and was surprised to come across Touhou again. The blog was full of Cirno memes, which gave me a glimpse on how large the fandom is. Even though I knew that I suck at these kinds of games, I still gave it a try. To this date I still have yet to 1CC EoSD.  :derp:

« Reply #170 on: February 03, 2014, 07:36:32 AM »
Everyone's going to laugh at me for this, but I found Touhou because of a My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic parody of 'Bad Apple'. Naturally, I looked up the original 'Bad Apple' and basically found out about the games through the song.

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #171 on: February 06, 2014, 02:02:33 AM »
YES! I love talking about how I got started. I was actually exposed to Touhou years ago but when I got into it that was when I knew what it was, I first seen a image of Flandre and thought it was a human female version of Marx from Kirby, and later down the line I seen a Image of Alice and thought she was from some anime but was shocked at how beautiful she looked. (I still do <3) After that it wasn't until June 19th 2013 (I'll always remember this date) I was watching some of Smooth McGrooves Acapella's and I ran into his only touhou song U.N. Owen was her]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUed7HZtTNA]U.N. Owen was her (which is now the #1 search result on youtube, but this was when the video only had 300,000 views.) and what happened was like looking into a mirror and it shatters. I can't explain very well what happened but something inside my head clicked and I because automatically obsessed, it could have been the stress of losing a job and working at a terrible place with no money and I clung onto something that made me feel happy but I loved the song and was shocked to see a game harder then Dark Souls and when I saw Flandre I remembered her look and went onto the Touhou Wiki to look up her history.

While at that I tried to get my friends on Xbox to hear it and one of my friends to my surprise heard it before in his 4chan days and told me to look up McRoll'd. Which then led me to going to hear Cool&Creates Version of U.N. Owen, which of course I thought was called Death waltz. (But that's a easy fix by just doing some research.) At this point I watched and listened to a few u.n.owen remixes and found Iosys and Cirno's Perfect Match Class, and found my first favorite character, and everything spread from there on songs and PV's and such. I really wanted to play the games though so I searched on Amazon and luckily enough I just started my Construction job and had money and I bought EoSD (and a few others now) and have loved playing it even though it's tough but fair cause it's my own fault for getting hit. So I have Smooth McGroove for getting me into Touhou and all of the amazing fan creations and translators and others fans I can talk to about my obsession for finding the thing that has made me happy, made me cry, and made me laugh.

Also incase anyone wanted to know Smooth McGroove is apparently working on a Necrofantasia Acapella which will be sweet! The more exposure touhou has the better!!!
Touhou Fugyouseki ~ Nightmare of Sleeping Girl English Patch
I run a crappy YouTube channel, check it out if you wish~

Cybeast710

• CAPCOM MAN
  • OBJECTION!
    • My Let's Plays!
« Reply #172 on: February 06, 2014, 06:16:20 AM »
which of course I thought was called Death waltz. (But that's a easy fix by just doing some research.)

Research.

Congratulations, you put more work into this then my dormmates who DID know what the original Death Waltz was. It took me less than 5 minutes to find the video and 90 minutes to explain.
What happens when Nue's in a pranky mood and at the same time, Yukari's bored? Pokemon XD: Impostor of Darkness

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #173 on: February 06, 2014, 07:59:18 AM »
90 minutes? Not sure if having to explain something for that long seems worth it, what were they not getting about it?

Cybeast710

• CAPCOM MAN
  • OBJECTION!
    • My Let's Plays!
« Reply #174 on: February 06, 2014, 04:58:46 PM »
90 minutes? Not sure if having to explain something for that long seems worth it, what were they not getting about it?

"You see, it may seem bad on paper, but the original Death Waltz is actually pretty nice when orchestrated."

Pulls up the Synesthesia video and I immediately facepalm because I KNOW what that is. I go for U.N. Owen was Her and he looks at me oddly, saying that my Touhou has nothing to do with anything.

So I have to get him to listen to both side by side because he didn't think "U.N. Owen Was Her" was Death Waltz, he thought Death Waltz was U.N. Owen Was Her!

(That was horribly explained. What I'm trying to say is that most people believe Flandre's theme to be Death Waltz. This guy thought the opposite. He thought that the original Death Waltz theme when orchestrated was actually UN Owen Was Her.)

This argument just started because i was looking at the nonsensical Death Waltz score and he remarked that. I challenged him right away because i KNEW what he was talking about (UN Owen Was Her) and he fired back with the video and it became an unholy mess.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 05:01:20 PM by Cybeast710 »

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #175 on: February 06, 2014, 06:41:23 PM »
That does sound like a mess and I know where your coming from, I argue with a friend of mine that just doesn't get it on topics. But this is getting off topic a bit so I'll stop here.

Little Rumia

• Personal Color
« Reply #176 on: February 09, 2014, 02:07:17 AM »
My interest in Toho started when I watched the Pierre PV, but that was not enough to spark my interest. But it truly got started when I happened to get into a story writing group on Facebook. From then on, I researched into what characters I could portray, who to choose, the pages I eventually liked and the accounts I friended. That eventually got me into listening to more of the music and fanworks, which then eventually and ultimately lead to me watching the Osana Reimu series.

Needless to say, after that, everything else was history...

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #177 on: February 09, 2014, 03:52:50 AM »
I recently watched the Osana Reimu videos, if there is anything to solidify someone fandom it would have to be that, I've never cried so much even when watching once in Japanese and then translated. actually since I did watch it I've been seeing more people talking about it and artwork coming out... (Can't wait for the final part 6 to come out!)

Little Rumia

• Personal Color
« Reply #178 on: February 09, 2014, 04:12:08 AM »
The final part will most likely be joyfull's last web videos, artist efuminor and circle Liz Triangle have already composed the Osana/Reireimu OST and released it on Comiket85. Joyfull's international fanbase has a small but extremely dedicated following, as his post credit notes state in his episodes.

And yes, I'm such a huge fan of the series, that I dedicate myself to roleplaying Osana Reimu's Rumia as close as possible. I'm not sure if I have made a name for myself but.. I don't know. I get around I suppose. Currently, I have ordered two sets of the supplementary comic and OST CDs. All that is left is the wait. And yes, you are not the only one who cried.... I always become close to tearing up myself when I listen to Rumia's theme now.

So.. here are some feels.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 04:16:36 AM by Little Rumia »

Cybeast710

• CAPCOM MAN
  • OBJECTION!
    • My Let's Plays!
« Reply #179 on: February 09, 2014, 04:47:34 AM »
The final part will most likely be joyfull's last web videos, artist efuminor and circle Liz Triangle have already composed the Osana/Reireimu OST and released it on Comiket85. Joyfull's international fanbase has a small but extremely dedicated following, as his post credit notes state in his episodes.

And yes, I'm such a huge fan of the series, that I dedicate myself to roleplaying Osana Reimu's Rumia as close as possible. I'm not sure if I have made a name for myself but.. I don't know. I get around I suppose. Currently, I have ordered two sets of the supplementary comic and OST CDs. All that is left is the wait. And yes, you are not the only one who cried.... I always become close to tearing up myself when I listen to Rumia's theme now.

So.. here are some feels.

Hmm. Don't suppose you're Rumia Hakurei, are you?