Author Topic: Origin of your fandom...  (Read 48541 times)

Failure McFailFace

• I'm h...a...p...p...y...
  • Impor
Re: Origin of your fandom...
« Reply #120 on: June 25, 2013, 04:56:11 PM »
I don't exactly remember... I know it has to do with midi files and Death Waltz...

Start from the beginning (as in the early spring/summer of 2012).

I was mucking around on YouTube watching impossible midi videos, when I came up with this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DekTSh1QmvY

In the Related Videos section, I found this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3Nc4iR7rGA
Which happens the midi version of a remix of U. N. Owen Was Her?

Then this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uum5kACi7YQ

Later, I found the Bad Apple! shadow art music video, and I started to collect midi's of Touhou for the music.

Fast forward even more, then you find me watching people play EoSD, due to the Death Waltz video.

Then, I got EoSD for myself.

And it escalated quickly from there.
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

Dark Kitsune

• Code Fox
« Reply #121 on: June 25, 2013, 09:46:30 PM »
I think it was this video that started it for me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQLIaZUOnBU
And then the first game I tried was PCB, about a week later.

Imosa

• Any sufficiently advanced technology
  • is indistinguishable from magic
« Reply #122 on: June 27, 2013, 03:31:38 AM »
I think this was actually my first exposure to Touhou.

Sahgren

« Reply #123 on: June 27, 2013, 07:17:16 AM »
I believe what ultimately got me to really look into Touhou was a Momiji key chain that a friend gave me after coming back from his vacation in Japan. He claimed that he found a lot of Touhou related merchandise whilst browsing some shops and ended up grabbing 10+ key chains to bring home as souvenirs. The character design interested me enough to look her up and it all snowballed from there.

I found MotK after getting frustrated with my own incompetence at the games and Google'd "touhou forum" for advice. MotK was the first result.

« Reply #124 on: June 27, 2013, 08:43:10 PM »
i got into touhou (mid 2008) shortly after watching some dude play MoF stage 2 on lunatic.

uh, lets just say i became obsessed with the games right after that video..

danyun

• Accomplished Lurker
  • Hey
« Reply #125 on: June 28, 2013, 07:02:00 AM »
This guy: http://www.youtube.com/user/NakaTeleeli

Me and my older brother stumbled across him when he wanted to show me .Hack//, since I had pretty much forgotten the story and his friend was borrowing his copy of Infection. Then we found Naka, watched his .Hack// LPs, and has become my absolute favorite LPer.

ANYWAY, eventually he did a LP of Touhou Mother. My bro remembered Touhou, because he plays this one remix of Reisen's theme on FFR a lot (Pupil of Frenzy), and had once looked it up. Turns out one of his friends is a fan of Touhou, and let's him borrow EoSD. Let me just say, as I was watching my bro play it, I had never wanted to play a game so badly before. I played EoSD so much, even though I couldn't even get past Patchy on Easy Mode (go ahead, laugh).

And there was no turning back.
I like rain. Do you like rain?

Cybeast710

• CAPCOM MAN
  • OBJECTION!
    • My Let's Plays!
« Reply #126 on: June 28, 2013, 03:47:55 PM »
This guy: http://www.youtube.com/user/NakaTeleeli

Me and my older brother stumbled across him when he wanted to show me .Hack//, since I had pretty much forgotten the story and his friend was borrowing his copy of Infection. Then we found Naka, watched his .Hack// LPs, and has become my absolute favorite LPer.

ANYWAY, eventually he did a LP of Touhou Mother. My bro remembered Touhou, because he plays this one remix of Reisen's theme on FFR a lot (Pupil of Frenzy), and had once looked it up. Turns out one of his friends is a fan of Touhou, and let's him borrow EoSD. Let me just say, as I was watching my bro play it, I had never wanted to play a game so badly before. I played EoSD so much, even though I couldn't even get past Patchy on Easy Mode (go ahead, laugh).

And there was no turning back.

Hey, if you'll look back on page 1 that's exactly how I got into Touhou!
'Cept instead of .hack// it was his Bubble Bobble LP that drew me into the channel, and minus the brother.
My fanfics: Touhou Wrecks X!
What happens when Nue's in a pranky mood and at the same time, Yukari's bored? Pokemon XD: Impostor of Darkness
I made this cool matrixy eye:

FamilyTeam

• Love Sign
  • Master Spark
« Reply #127 on: June 29, 2013, 05:22:40 PM »
My friend introduced me to Touhou with PRECISELY THIS VERY VIDEO on November 2010*. However, I only started playing the games, starting with Touhou 6, at March 6 2011. I wasn't stellar, but I wasn't terrible either, my Dodonpachi skills kinda transferred over to it. Also, I hated the community (people like YOU, YES, YOU, THE READER) and I really didn't think Touhou was that big of a deal. So I went on a pretty long time without playing Touhou.
I was reintroduced to the series recently (if Early november 2012 still counts as recently) via Gelbooru... yeah, you know how I got back... and I am still playing to this very day. But I will probably take a break of the series soon again.

*Random trivia: I didn't like the series in the beggining thanks to this introduction, because at the time, I didn't like anime in general. Hell, to this day, i'm not that big of a fan of anime.

The nova of the ocean of the cleverness

« Reply #128 on: June 30, 2013, 03:31:25 AM »
My best friend all through elementary school was named Patchouli (I kid you not... Needless to say, her parents had an interesting sense of humor), but we went to different middle schools starting in 2007. I decided to look her up so that we could keep in touch, and instead of finding her, I found countless pictures of patchouli oil and Patchouli Knowledge from Touhou. I was really big into anime and the like at the time, so I looked into Touhou and got drawn into the music and eventually the games, which I quickly became addicted to.

Funny thing is, when I did find Patchouli again, she was pretty big into Touhou as well, and she promptly kicked my ass in IaMP... I'm still better at the shooters though, despite what she might say .

Watari

• Considers himself pretty funky....
  • ...is probably not at all
« Reply #129 on: July 06, 2013, 10:27:56 PM »
This clip from AMV Hell 3.

(Don't look at me like that, it was 2009 and it was still cool then 'kay)

Around 2009ish I stumbled upon it, and the rest is as they say history.

Mordon

• Bunny Lord
« Reply #130 on: July 07, 2013, 12:33:46 AM »
I believe I was searching for some specific Megaman OST info, then I found a page that listed some Megaman clones, and I discovered MegaMari.
In the beginning I thought it was just a random doujin game, but the characters were super cute, and I decided to look for pictures to see if I could find out about the characters.

The characters that showed up in my search were kinda familiar, and I already knew Touhou by name, since most of anime imageboard pictures were Touhou. I had always wondered about what Touhou was, but never bothered to research. Then I was even more confused when I read the description. "Shooter game series? This is no shooter, and there's no "touhou" name in MegaMari, wtf". A little more research later and I finally understood what it was all about. The journey began, around May 2009.

Funny that at the boss selection screen of MegaMari Cirno was all badass looking, and I was like "this girl looks mean, I'll leave her for last". Oh if I knew.

Cybeast710

• CAPCOM MAN
  • OBJECTION!
    • My Let's Plays!
« Reply #131 on: July 07, 2013, 01:21:21 AM »
Funny that at the boss selection screen of MegaMari Cirno was all badass looking, and I was like "this girl looks mean, I'll leave her for last". Oh if I knew.

I picked her FIRST, because I knew she was probably the weakest of them. The stage still kicked my ass.
What happens when Nue's in a pranky mood and at the same time, Yukari's bored? Pokemon XD: Impostor of Darkness

Kenchiwa

• Youkai Into the Wall of Dark
« Reply #132 on: July 07, 2013, 09:08:05 PM »
How many of you started to play Touhou when you were children?

(And how many of you first played the PC-98 games before 2002...when you were children?)
in the corner with a can of Raid, curled up in the fetal position, sucking their thumbs.

Kenchiwa

• Youkai Into the Wall of Dark
« Reply #133 on: July 07, 2013, 09:09:10 PM »

Funny thing is, when I did find Patchouli again, she was pretty big into Touhou as well, and she promptly kicked my ass in IaMP... I'm still better at the shooters though, despite what she might say .

How old were you when this happened?
in the corner with a can of Raid, curled up in the fetal position, sucking their thumbs.

« Reply #134 on: July 07, 2013, 10:12:40 PM »

I found it through TVtropes, a sometime before TD came out (I don't recall exactly). A lot of trope pages had Touhou listed as an example somewhere, so I finally went to the Touhou page and read about it. Since TVtropes listed HRtP as the first game, I figured I should look up videos of it first. So I did, and thought "what the heck is this". Sooner or later, though, I found videos of IN extra and EoSD lunatic. When I decided to actually try the games out, I started with PoFV since some website or other said it was the easiest. Then I wondered when the boss battle parts would come up (like the videos of IN and EoSD). Eventually, though, I figured out that PoFV wasn't a "normal" Touhou game. :U  I've been in the fandom ever since.

Teewee

• In the forest, lazing around...
  • ...building nothing but clay castles.
« Reply #135 on: July 09, 2013, 08:42:30 PM »
A friend introduced it to me several years ago. Looking at the wikipedia page, I expected it to be something like Totally Spies (don't ask what led me to that conclusion :V), but then discovered it was something cool.

Gray21oh

• An excuse for a title
  • This is suppose to be nonsensical except it isn't
« Reply #136 on: July 10, 2013, 01:11:58 AM »
I remember being exposed to Touhou before I even knew about it with such things as LuizPrower's MegaMari buster only run and this one Nico Nico Douga parade video(?). I honestly past it by thinking it was based on some anime. Boy the eggs that would've been thrown at me.
Eventually one day when I was on the first page of Sonic Retro there was this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPEnNLuvqQY
Shortly after I found out the series was a bullet hell and I was willing to play a bullet hell at the time due to Cave. And the rest is history, basically stuff like different favourite characters and outlooks on Touhou's many stories.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 01:16:49 AM by Gray21oh »

Kyoren

• Representative of Sacred South Project (PH Doujin Circle)
  • Being the pianist for a Doujin Circle is hard. ;A;
    • Sacred South Project (Work Page)
« Reply #137 on: July 10, 2013, 02:23:21 PM »
Listened to Touhou songs, didn't really knew what they were before, so i searched up the name, watched some gameplays, played the game, got addicted <3
Death itself is merely an illusion. Don't be afraid to die.

Cybeast710

• CAPCOM MAN
  • OBJECTION!
    • My Let's Plays!
« Reply #138 on: July 11, 2013, 08:26:04 PM »
*linky linky*
Lemme see that video...
*bursts out laughing*

« Reply #139 on: July 12, 2013, 02:18:01 AM »
The day I found out about Touhou, I was on another forum, when someone mentioned Touhou in the IRC and posted a picture of Touhou 12.3.
I found it interesting and I initially thought it was a series of fighting games. After searching it up, I found out that it was a shooting game.
It was 2011 summertime. This was only when I found out about Touhou canon.

I got into the fandom when I saw so many songs from the many circles on Osu! Mostly Cirno's Perfect Math Class.
I decided to search about Touhou more, and found out about the many circles and the songs.
I got addicted to Maybe Love Rock! by Sync Arts.
I searched up so many other songs after that.
This was also in the summer of 2011.

When I started playing Touhou was shortly after TD came out. I started with EoSD, and played in order.
Currently a normal player

« Reply #140 on: July 12, 2013, 04:04:45 AM »
I've been a regular on 4chan for 8 years; mostly on /a/, and so I will fondly remember those 'Touhou Hijacks' that would be promptly followed with sagebombs and flaming. Ah, the 'good old days.'
I've had 6 years of being a casual secondary--IOSYS vids, remixes my friends would link me to in chat/AIM, and Danbooru. Oh, and I forum-roleplayed with a guy whose character was one Marisa Kirisame, a promiscuous lesbian mage who would always be like 'blah blah blah, ze.'

But what got me around to playing the game was Smooth McGroove's a capella of 'U.N. Owen was her?' just because it had the gameplay in the vid--this was the first time I a) saw Touhou gameplay and b) saw how cute Flandre is.

« Reply #141 on: July 14, 2013, 01:39:38 PM »
An acquaintance on another forum told me to listen to Lunatic Princess. So I checked it out, and I was like "whoa dang, god mode drums!" Then I looked up the games.

« Reply #142 on: July 16, 2013, 11:57:31 AM »
I'm kind of an Alfa legionnaire, and I watched this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpBngmCpUrU (sorry I'm not to sure how to hyperlink words yet)

I wondered where the music came from, read the description (it was U.N. Owen Was Her), and then went on a mass Youtube spree, eventually culminating in a large list of Touhou music, and then I got the games as well. Now I'm here trying to look for some fellow fans, because to be honest I don't get to talk about Touhou much in Australia. It's been 12 months of Touhou, and I'm still not tired of it.

« Reply #143 on: July 27, 2013, 04:41:31 AM »
YTPMV of Night of Nights and U.N. Owen Was Her. I looked for the music. Fell in love.

KLH

• 47 accounts in my account account
« Reply #144 on: July 27, 2013, 07:41:53 PM »
YTPMV of Night of Nights and U.N. Owen Was Her. I looked for the music. Fell in love.
What was the source used?

2hu is a ghey shooter pl@y COD you f@gs
COD 4 life #swag #yolo #360noscope #lensflare #Skrillex
Main YouTube Channel
Main Reupload Channel

« Reply #145 on: August 03, 2013, 02:14:39 AM »
I was listening to a Japanese music radio, and encountered a PoFV song (I don't remember what.) I wouldn't have paid any special attention to it, but the "Phantasmagoria" in its name caught my eye. So, I looked up "Phantasmagoria of Flower View" on Youtube, and the rest is history.

Phoenix-P

• Reisen...it's punishment time...
  • One Optical Camouflage please
« Reply #146 on: December 09, 2013, 08:48:33 PM »
it all started when playing Osu! and accidentally downloaded a beatmap of Kafka naru gunjou e, an arrangement of tenshi's theme by Yuuhei Satellite. loved the song, bg image and then got interested on it. also noticing the mmd touhou videos on nico nico douga, that's it
The Power of Baka!

uc9

« Reply #147 on: December 09, 2013, 10:04:57 PM »
I honestly don't know actually.  I think it was one of the songs or something.

SIRookie

• I have no idea what I'm doing
« Reply #148 on: December 09, 2013, 11:00:52 PM »
Story time, I suppose.

Of course there were the songs. Night of Nights, Bad Apple, and UN Owen Was Her marked my first exposure.

Around my sophomore year of high school (2010) my friend showed EoSD to me. I decided there was too much going on onscreen and decided against getting into it. Not about that.
According to the dates on some pictures I have on my hard drive, this is also when I started downloading Touhou fan art because of whatever reasons 14-year-old me decided.

--Changed schools
In my junior year an artist I liked on DeviantArt did a couple of console personifications. Xbox with green eyes and red hair looked really cool to me, so I tried to find more. I started lurking on the Booru's, and with those two tags learned of Kazami Yuuka. Slightly more interest to find out why she was called the "Dreadnaught-class Sadist". Looked on the wiki and saw the number of characters (around 90 at the time if I remember correctly). Forget that, I'll just look at the art.

Senior year I started playing shmups -- Ether Vapor was one I really got interested in. I was playing it in class on day and another friend (at a different school) showed me... EoSD.
Again, not about it. "Sorry, that looks cool, but I'm not interested"

--Changed cities, schools
Freshman year of college and my roommate mentions something about the music. I blow it off.
Group of friends decide to play Killing Floor and mess around in the workshop, finding the Touhou character mods.
Walk in on my roommate playing Killing Floor with friends with Touhou mods.
Some while later I buy the game and install the mods. I realize we know nothing about these characters, and the only one I knew up to that point (Yuuka) was not in the mod.
"You know what, I'm going to research these characters a bit. Find out more about them. If we're playing them we at least owe them that much" and decide to "sacrifice myself" for the greater good, and read the wiki.
Not about that, too long. What else can I do? Play the games I suppose?
Get the games, play a couple up to stage 2 and just kind of suck at them. I keep getting distracted trying to look at the backgrounds, enemies appearing on screen, music, and quickly die. I drop it again.

Second semester, cleaning my hard drive I decide to play a couple of rounds before I give these files the boot. I manage (with continues) to get to stage 5 in Ten Desires.
I start randomly playing them, all of the windows games, and really getting into it. I don't know when it happened, but I looked up the mangas (official and otherwise), animated micro-series, music, and start to really get in deep.
Too deep, I sometimes think.
(This could technically be the end of the story, since this is really where things took off. The rest is really just me recalling my increasing engagement with it all)

It's the end of spring semester and I'm browsing the wiki "ZUN coming to AWA in September" in the header. Isn't that the guy? Huh. How about that? and mention it to my roommate, who proceeds to loose it. I wasn't sure why.

Over the summer, continuous, gradual exposure. Slightly more into it with each passing month. Then at some point it hits me.
ZUN is coming to the States, wherein I proceed to loose my mind at work.

Fall 2013, I talk with a couple of friends and convince them to go to AWA, one so he can go to the 4chan panel, the other because he just likes cosplaying.
I'm slowly loosing my shit as we drive up there. I'm hyped and don't know why, they're cracking jokes at me, I don't care. These emotions are unusual to me, as I'd never been interested in anything as much as I was now.
Panels, etc.
It's the final day, and we stay late to watch the closing ceremonies. On our way out, I stop to talk to this guy about his "Not-So-Mini Mini-Hakkero" as he called it (it was the size of a basketball, lit up, and apparently the bulb in it got hot enough to light things on fire while not melting the wires/igniting the wooden case. Turns out he was PR for A-Kon in Texas, and wants me and my friends to talk to the manager, who was also there.

Friend taps me on the shoulder "Hey, is that Zun?"
"What makes you say that?"
"The hat, I think"
Look through the window into the parking lot. Shit lost.
PR-guy starts loosing it, too.

Friends convince me to get a picture, and I'm still loosing it. I don't deserve this, I'm not even that into Touhou!
It was at that point I decided I was required to know Touhou. All of it.

Now, I'm going into a local gaming competition in the spring, representing my gaming group in Subterranean Animism, have thought about pitching for a Touhou fan panel at a local con, and frequently get made fun of by other members of the group for being so into Touhou. But like my two other con-goers keep saying:
"Yeah, but you met Zun"

Tl;dr Technically back in my first few years of high school, but I -really- got into it my second semester of college and it grew from there.

« Reply #149 on: December 10, 2013, 01:03:04 AM »
I was introduced into the series for the first time around a year ago when I was browsing YouTube. I saw a video titled "Night of Nights (Impossible Piano Version)". I scoff, and click on the video thinking, "Bah, it can't be THAT impossible, right?" I then watched the video. I had my mind blown by how hard it was to play, but I was more fascinated by the song. So, I poked around a bit, and found the original remix of Night of Nights.

I listened to it for months, not knowing it was not the original version. When I saw it was a remix, my mind was blown. I had to find the original. So, I poked around more, and found Flowering Night. That song was my lifeblood for the longest time. Of course, due to misleading fanart being the video thumbnail, I thought it was an anime, and was naturally curious. So I poked around some more, and found Phantasmagoria of Flower View. I thought, "Oh, cool! It's such a popular anime, it got it's own video game based on it! I wanna play it!" I then started looking around, found that it was in fact, not an anime, but just a series of mangas and games, and went, well, not what I was expecting, but, why not try it out? (I also, because of my being mislead, decided I should start watching anime due to withdrawals.) I then downloaded my first Touhou game, EoSD, and fell in love instantly. Not at all the game I was expecting, I was expecting an RPG or beat-em-up game, but it still fascinated me.

Now I'm a full fledged member of the fandom, and laugh at my confused months of ignorance. Of course, I still feel nostalgia every time I hear Flowering Night, and it gives me a boost when I'm down. However, ironically, despite the fact it got me into the fandom, I hate PoFV. With a passion.
A beautiful soulgrudge this cosmic was surely authored by the constellations.