Author Topic: Origin of your fandom...  (Read 48542 times)

Cybeast710

• CAPCOM MAN
  • OBJECTION!
    • My Let's Plays!
Origin of your fandom...
« on: January 11, 2013, 10:19:04 AM »
OK. This thread has one question to ask:

How did you learn about Touhou?

I want to know what the first thing you saw that made you look it up was. For me, it was this playthrough of Touhou Mother Absolutely freaking awesome. My first LP. And back then, half the references flew over my head :(

If anyone wants to watch it, it is here.

And my playthrough of the sequel (which is still in beta): CLICK ME

My fanfics: Touhou Wrecks X!
What happens when Nue's in a pranky mood and at the same time, Yukari's bored? Pokemon XD: Impostor of Darkness
I made this cool matrixy eye:

game2011

• magneiptVE
    • Unsurpassed ??asual Dating - Real Women
Re: Origin of your fandom...
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 12:13:33 PM »

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
I forgot how to subtract
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 12:34:43 PM »
Short version: Desuchan, 2007.

Long version: Was on Desuchan where someone had posted a parody video for Marisa Stole the Precious Thing, with Suigintou as Alice and Shinku as Marisa. I hadn't seen the original, but saw that the original was credited to IOSYS. Looked up IOSYS, saw they were doing remixes of "Touhou", looked up Touhou, and there you have it.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 01:04:27 PM by Tengukami »

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Zerviscos

• Infinite Bread Chewing Powers! Activate!
  • Om nom nom nom nom nom*
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 12:59:54 PM »
Bad Apple.

And initially up to this day, I'm still in love with Touhou 'cause of the music. You'll say other fans like Touhou for characters, some doujins, and...some rather weird ones for pr0n. I'm with music on this one.

Twitter | Steam | Battle.net[Zerviscos#1833]

Yatakarasu

• Always failing, sometimes winning!
  • Fail mode activate!
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 01:11:26 PM »
Bad Apple.

And initially up to this day, I'm still in love with Touhou 'cause of the music. You'll say other fans like Touhou for characters, some doujins, and...some rather weird ones for pr0n. I'm with music on this one.
Yeeeeep. Same with me. After that I looked up the music and listened to it in class. Haven't turned back since.

Normal Clears: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC
Hard Clears: PoFV, SA, TD, DDC
Extra Clears: PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC
Current touhou goal: Improve! ...1cc more Hard Modes

DeltaSierra4

• Behind each smile
  • is ten thousand sorrows
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 02:17:17 PM »
Through words of mouth. I got into the games first and then got into the fandom, which as far as I can remember got my attention after seeing some Touhou doujins
"Times will bring that up over and over again. It's like I'm dying from my mental hemophilia... Forgetting the past is easier said than done. You know it dies hard, and when it dies, it dies with you."

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 02:27:52 PM »
I first learnt about Touhou watching this LPer sometime in 2009 or 2010, but it didn't interest me at all back then and the fact that several of the games he played were littered with references annoyed me more than anything. The only characters I picked up were the EoSD crew and Reimu/Marisa, though.

Then late 2011, I met a moderator on the Pokemon Online server I frequented (and later got promoted on as well) who used a lot of Japanese names as his alts, which later turned out to be names of Touhou characters (mostly PCB and IN, but Eiki and Byakuren and I think Parsee were also among them), but I didn't care yet, either, even though we were friends on the server. He did convert another guy to Touhouism, though, and this guy later convinced me to try out Touhou in summer 2012. The reason why I gave in was that I had listened to UN Owen and Necrofantasia Synthesia remixes a bit before that.

I started with PCB, later IN, and it was really cool to see all those familiar names in-game. In hindsight, it was kinda funny how I could easily remember names like Keine Kamishirasawa and Shikieiki Yamaxanadu, but had trouble with Kanako Yasaka, all because the latter wasn't a name this guy used.
Lunatic 1ccs: MoF (ReimuB)

aListers

• Vocaloid for the win!
  • Gensokyo forever!
    • Newgrounds
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 02:42:29 PM »
Bad Apple.

Same with me aswell. Random youtube recomendation brought me bad apple and I've loved touhou ever since.
???-2004?=dark ages, 2005?=atomic betty era, 2006=red dwarf era, 2007-2009=newgrounds era, 2009-2014= anime era.

Been good talking to you all. Gensokyo gu braith!

Kosachi

• Te-Te-Te-Te-Tenko
  • Hinanai Tenko~
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 02:46:14 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ssh71hePR8Q

'nuff said.

Same here, I heard U.N Owen from Mcroll, then the rest is history.
I finally got ahead!

Maribel Hearn

• TD scorer
    • Portal
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 03:32:55 PM »
A friend on Pokemon Online told me about the series in September 2011 and I got interested some time later, eventually making me a great fan.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 09:08:24 PM by Maribel Hearn »

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 04:14:59 PM »
My friend introduced me to touhou through some mmd videos with touhou characters and bad apple and then he showed me a lets pay of eosd. I have been obsessed with touhou ever since.

Alicirno

• Seer of Heart
  • Paruparuparu
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2013, 04:39:36 PM »
Heh, Naka's Touhou Mother LP got me into Touhou in the first place. I also got into the music because of Love Coloured Master Spark. Marisa was the first character I knew about, save for Cirno.

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2013, 05:17:56 PM »
LeoModesto's Touhoumon run on the Nuzlocke Forums.

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 05:57:18 PM »
I played the Perfect Cherry Blossom demo five years ago looking for a game like Mushihimesama. Been a fan ever since. o/

Drake

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2013, 06:05:15 PM »
I have a fandom?

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2013, 06:48:22 PM »
I think in March-2012 I was watching some MMD videos, it is a new thing to me and it looks cool, so I found this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNkz1BGB2rQ

Carlito! Carlito! After watching this I made a search to discover who is that Miko Vocaloid with mustache. This way I discovered Maiden's Capriccio, after Border of Life and started to play Perfect Cherry Blossom, and then I am here now. Now I am eternally grateful to girls with mustaches :V

I have a fandom?
You are so popular and didn't know it? :V
My youtube channel with my creations: https://www.youtube.com/user/KazeSenshi2929
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2013, 08:07:07 PM »
Back in the summer of 2010 a friend of mine had just gotten into the series and was telling me all about it.  It just so happened that a few days later, on the LP Archive, the Touhou Imperishable Night LP was featured and I remembered having seen it and thought the little blurb about it was interesting the last time it came up, and yet got lazy since that had been in a time where I only read screenshot LPs and never watched vids.  So I gave it a watch through, went to the wiki and read up on all the Imperishable Night characters, and it just spiraled out from there to the rest of the games.

Re: I forgot how to subtract
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2013, 10:04:05 PM »
Short version: Desuchan, 2007.

Long version: Was on Desuchan where someone had posted a parody video for Marisa Stole the Precious Thing, with Suigintou as Alice and Shinku as Marisa. I hadn't seen the original, but saw that the original was credited to IOSYS. Looked up IOSYS, saw they were doing remixes of "Touhou", looked up Touhou, and there you have it.

Pretty much exactly this, only slightly later.

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2013, 10:22:06 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ssh71hePR8Q

'nuff said.
Pretty much this. I wanted to see where the original song is from, watched somebody play EoSD extra stage and thought to myself: "Why not give it a try?".
Extra stages cleared : EoSD, PCB, PCB Phantasm, IN, PoFV, MoF, UFO, TD, DDC

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2013, 10:28:48 PM »
The first time I had ever heard of it was while I was on Kirby Wiki looking up random stuff. Marx's page compared his wings and hat to Flan and had a link to her page on Touhou Wikia. The first time I investigated it was through the Song for the Cruelty of Hell of the Sixty Year Flowers of Sin on YT.

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2013, 10:55:33 PM »
Was browsing TVTropes for whatever reason (probably procrastination), I found the "Bullet Hell" page, watched a few gameplay videos of people doing crazy things, and got quickly convinced to try the games.
Oddly enough, I only discovered afterwards that there was such a (relatively) huge fandom. In fact, I spent a few months not caring at all about the characters or the story, which is quite usual for me whatever the game is.

Goldom

• Whee
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2013, 11:14:19 PM »
First heard of - I'm pretty sure it was this old parody ad. I had no idea what Touhou was, but that ad was on TV every 5 minutes back then so I loved this.

First understood what it actually was - raocow's Marisa World LP through watching all his videos. After seeing that I went to see what the original games were, went "oh, they're THAT sort of game, NEVERMIND!" and that was that.

First started playing - not until Zorak's LP of Touhou 1-6. After seeing someone else getting through them on a regular difficulty level, I started to think maybe I actually could manage it myself. Then I did.

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2013, 11:48:06 PM »
A playthrough of EoSD Extra back on 2008. I might have disliked the music, but fortunately the bgm was replaced by a very awesome Fate of Sixty Years arrange (Konig der Underwelt IIRC). Tried finding that one again, but.

Widermelonz

• Delicious
  • Yum
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2013, 12:33:38 AM »
I first played the demos for PCB and IN some time during ZUN's break before MoF came out. I was captivated by the overall atmosphere of Imperishable Night, and it still remains as my favorite game in the series.

Nihilanth

• Nyaa~ like no tomorrow.
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2013, 12:51:16 AM »
Friend showed me Bad Apple! + 12.3 Gameplay in the same black and white color scheme of Bad Apple's video. Afterwards he gave me 12.3 and I haven't stopped playing it since.

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2013, 01:02:59 AM »
Hunting down a series of Nanoha comic strips and Nanoha yuri back in 2007, I ran into the Akibakko image site (the Thai Danbooru, at the time), which also played host to a ton of Touhou fanart. Then I went to the Touhou imageboard to find out more about the series that had produced such good fanart, ran into Pilpsie posting a bunch of highres Alstroemeria Records CD cover scans, and was hooked.

fauxm

• wauf
  • wauf
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2013, 01:45:11 AM »
I kept running into it all over the damn place and decided to ask one of my friends about it. He explained what he knew, but he didn't know much, so I decided to Google it. This Cracked article convinced me that this was something I must like.
wauf

danyun

• Accomplished Lurker
  • Hey
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2013, 01:49:25 AM »
Heh, Naka the best lper's Touhou Mother LP got me into Touhou in the first place. I also got into the music because of Love Coloured Master Spark. Marisa was the first character I knew about, save for Cirno.

This, but apparently I happened to stumble upon some Touhou when I was like, four or five, becasue of  this site.

Me and my brother just loved Reisen's theme (it was a remix called Pupil of Frenzy).
I like rain. Do you like rain?

Imosa

• Any sufficiently advanced technology
  • is indistinguishable from magic
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2013, 01:53:46 AM »
I've been seeing Touhou at random points for a long time. About 2 years ago, I played my first game. I saw Sky Arena had just come up and considered making a Tension Bar Building Tool but got too busy. Then last semester I somehow learned about Sky Arena 2 and thought I'd take another shot at the Tension Bar Builder Tool. From there my fandom grew, mostly as a universe to theme my creations by.

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2013, 02:13:35 AM »
Pretty much this. I wanted to see where the original song is from, watched somebody play EoSD extra stage and thought to myself: "Why not give it a try?".
This is pretty much how it happened for me after a few of my friends sent me the song over MSN way back.