Author Topic: Could Superman make a burrito he couldn't eat? (superhero comics discussion)  (Read 8478 times)

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
I'm a nerd, I admit it. I like superheroes, who doesn't? Most of us all watched the summer superhero of the month movie, grew up on the X-Men or Batman cartoons, dreamed about flying around in ridiculously tight clothing punching communists and Nazis and space demons. But I must sheepishly admit I never actually got into reading comics themselves. My knowledge has been strictly through movies and TV and pop culture. It all seemed so daunting with the myriad of different arcs and continuities and volumes and stuff. After seeing Man of Steel this past weekend and nerding completely out about Iron Man 3, I've finally taken the dark plunge into the recesses of my parent's basement. Since I'm a noob I've decided to start with the new 52 DC reboots. I've already tore through Batgirl and I'm about to start reading Supergirl.

My review of Batgirl is OMG FUCKING READ IT.

The Barbara Gordon Gail Simone has crafted is exactly who I want to be, and that's pretty much the entire fun and point of superheroes, being able to identify with your favorite character in some way. She is every bit the girl I strive to be. Athletic, competitive, amazingly smart, driven. But she's also human and has the same flaws like I do. She?s a coward at times, she gets lonely and scared, and she?s rash and impulsive and definitely not always calm and collected. She?s cocky and headstrong, and definitely a loner at times. She?s fiercely independent but still wants a social life. She?s nobody?s sidekick, she is the star of her show. And she wants to save the world, or die trying, and she?s more than willing to bend the rules to do so. She?s a ballerina and an engineer and a detective and she?ll kick your ass, while baking cookies and hacking your databases :D!

I'm about to start Supergirl in a second. Any other series I should pick up? This doesn't necessarily have to be strict DC or Marvel staples, or even superheroes, although I'd like to kind of keep the discussion in that vein. Anything you guys are reading? I know it's a dirty word to say Western here but I figured there's got to be other underoo wearing caped crusaders in this shrine!

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

TSO, don't know if you've ever read Watchmen, but all the praise it gets is worth it.  SCUD: The Disposable Assassin is also incredibly fun.  Enjoyed the Sin City series a lot.  I prefer darker stories and I find DC will deliver that more than Marvel.  Grew up watching and loving Batman: The Animated Series.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
I got a ton of graphic novels and comics from another community I hang out in for super cheap and I'm fairly sure I have Watchmen and Transmetropolitan and a lot of others. I'll have to check and see what I exactly have.

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

commandercool

• alter cool
I'm behind on my comics, but as far as new DC stuff goes I theoretically read Animal Man, Swamp Thing, and Birds Of Prey. Animal Man is very good, the other two are passable. Although I haven't read any of them in a year, so they could have changed a lot (or been cancelled for all I know).
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

pineyappled

-
IMO Barbara was much better as Oracle.

Seconding Animal Man and Swamp Thing. Morrison's run is fantastic. Avoid Teen Titans at all costs. It's legitimately horrible and I have no idea how I survived five issues of it.

I think you'll like Fraction's Hawkeye. It's fun and Aja is probably the best current cape artist.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
I haven't read any of the older comics yet I'm just starting give me a break :(

Seconding Animal Man and Swamp Thing. Morrison's run is fantastic. Avoid Teen Titans at all costs. It's legitimately horrible and I have no idea how I survived five issues of it.

I think you'll like Fraction's Hawkeye. It's fun and Aja is probably the best current cape artist.
Eh? How does Teen Titans suck? Plz explain suckitude because all I've heard is it's better than the show and I loved the show.

pineyappled

Eh? How does Teen Titans suck? Plz explain suckitude because all I've heard is it's better than the show and I loved the show.
TT rec list
(I haven't read anything except Young Justice off that list)

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
I've said it before, I'll say it again, and I won't stop saying it til it stops being true.

This is the best comic produced by western comic artists. The fact is is not canonized as the best showcases the failure of western comics.

commandercool

• alter cool

On the subject of legitimately horrible DC reboot books that I used to love but now I have no idea how I survived five issues of, Green Arrow is abominable. Is it cancelled yet? If it isn't, do not read. Especially since it has way less Black Canary than Birds Of Prey does.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
Not Marvel or DC, but the Mega Man comic (of all things) is actually somehow the opposite of terrible. It even has some legitimate discussions of robotics ethics. There was a blog post from several months back that went into some detail about this but I can't seem to find it on Google right now so I'll post it when I get home.

This post comes with the disclaimer that I haven't started on the Worlds Collide crossover with the Sonic universe, which has the nontrivial potential to be disastrous on premise alone. I'm cautiously optimistic for it based on the Mega Man standalones, though.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

This post comes with the disclaimer that I haven't started on the Worlds Collide crossover with the Sonic universe, which has the nontrivial potential to be disastrous on premise alone. I'm cautiously optimistic for it based on the Mega Man standalones, though.
I haven't read it, but from bits and pieces I've seen it's at least amusing in its ridiculousness. It's obviously written with fans of both franchises in mind.

As for the MM comic itself, I'd really second the recommendation, because the writer's really done a lot of research and gone into some otherwise obscure depths of the franchise; some upcoming issues are going to bring in characters from Super Adventure Rockman, which certainly has my attention.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
I've said it before, I'll say it again, and I won't stop saying it til it stops being true.

This is the best comic produced by western comic artists. The fact is is not canonized as the best showcases the failure of western comics.
Holy fuck a superhero Theodore Roosevelt????

pineyappled

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
I typically finished Image's Witchblade when it was running its first (before the meet-up with Darkness - not to be confused with To Love Ru Darkness) arc, they actually made a shitty movie with a Witchblade that is part European armor, part shapeshifting metal-based alien with shiny aluminum foil like appearance. But that wouldn't spoil it for me though, for me it was the I WANNA BE AN ORDINARY woman and the fact IT WAS A WOMAN rather than -girl was wayyyyy better. Admittedly the anime version of the big breasted single mother was ok, but in the original run before the entire plot went to Egyptian queens and magic sorcerers from ancient India it was wayyyy better. Single woman, lost the love of her life, one chance to fight it all back from the NYPD, part Hawaii Five-O, part Leverage, part 8mm. This was what good comic plot was for, although most people do in fact read it because when Witchblade mode, Sara gets this HUGE lack of tentacles somehow always missing parts where her nipples actually are, and the crotch too. WHAT, fighting with your crotch wide open with side-swipping Alien Queen tentacles? who would have missed an open shot like that???
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

pineyappled

Morning Glories is a ton of fun to read. Think LOST except at a prissy rich-kid school.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
Holy fuck a superhero Theodore Roosevelt????

No.

Just Theodore Roosevelt, who has hijacked HG Wells' time machine. And is accompanied by the ghost of Thomas Edison.

It is the pinnacle of western comics.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
:o :o :o my mind asploded

pineyappled

Pizza Dog best dog.

e- Daredevil #27 was horribly underwhelming.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 11:55:52 PM by kinoko »

Zerviscos

• Infinite Bread Chewing Powers! Activate!
  • Om nom nom nom nom nom*
I know what this thread is about, but seriously...I want to answer your question.
No, he can make a burrito he can eat. But it would also mean he'd have super farts.

Twitter | Steam | Battle.net[Zerviscos#1833]