Author Topic: Subterranean Animism - Boss Rush Patch (Satori Rush!)  (Read 8625 times)

Drake

Subterranean Animism - Boss Rush Patch (Satori Rush!)
« on: April 02, 2013, 03:13:42 AM »
SECRET UPDATE VIDEO HURR HURR http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAbrUZmidSg

Yep, decided to keep going. Mainly because somebody brought up the prospect of Satori Rush and it was like wooooah yesssssss

Patch Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?5k25y24qo42pu2v

Main game: The main game is restyled so that it becomes a fairly challenging boss rush mode. The stage sections are removed, including most midbosses, so the game is entirely boss fights. There are no bombs (the Power system remains), and no continues. As a boss rush, I wanted to make sure that the player gets a type of challenge that they wouldn't normally experience playing SA. Ideally, in order to clear, you have to play very well: in other words, capture nearly everything. The lives system is kept the same; a pattern capture grants you a life piece, and five pieces make an extra life. Plus, since you can't bomb, you have to be able to keep surviving a pattern you may die on. This sort of play doesn't skew your score files, since those are already dependent on captures.
Unlike UFO, players can expect to survive a little longer, since there isn't any cough difficult stage 2 boss cough to kick your ass early.

Extra mode isn't really a point of interest, since Extra is already pretty short and it's just cut to Sanae and Koishi. Having no bombs doesn't provide that much greater of a challenge, and cutting lives here wouldn't make a difference. Seeing as many players have difficulty with Koishi, this is essentially boss practice as below.

Practice mode is probably what many people would use this for. It's simply Boss Practice, i.e. amazing. No bombs of course, but that only helps for practicing. You can practice problematic boss patterns quickly and repeatedly, without having to sit through the stage each time.

Replays work perfectly. A separate replay folder is created automatically to read and write from, so the boss rush replays don't get mixed up with the rest.

Instructions:
(Always back up your score files. They should not be affected, but it's always good practice.)
- Put the folder directly into your SA folder. You do not need to move any files around.
- If running an english-patched game, rename th11e.exe and th11e.dat to th11.exe and th11.dat, since the patch uses these files as the base.
- Run patch.bat.

A new executable (th11boss.exe) and data file (th11boss.dat) should be produced directly into your SA folder, and they will not overwrite your old ones.

Changes:
- Obviously, the stage sections are removed.
- Most midbosses are removed.
- No continues. Hardcore.
- No bombs. Way hardcore.
- Power system is decoupled from bomb system.
- Every card will drop 50 Power and Point items.
- A new replay folder for boss rush replays will be created automatically.
- New demo replays.
- Labels at the start of stages are removed.
- Other small graphical changes to reflect the game.
- ACHIEVE SATORI

Known Bugs:
- Card names are in japanese, even if patch is applied to english version. This is because I'm too lazy to create two versions of modified stage files. Will not be fixed.
- Choosing to "Continue" after clearing Extra stage will crash the game. This is because ZUN reuses the Game Over menu here, and the continue option redirects to the nonexistent restart option. Will not be fixed.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 06:28:26 AM by Drake »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Re: Subterranean Animism - Boss Rush Patch (Satori Rush!)
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 03:18:02 AM »
Woo, it's up!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 03:27:14 AM by ♥♥♥東方Hugger♥♥♥ »

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 03:20:13 AM »
Nindel will jizz at this. :V

Awesome work Drake, I'm going to play this thing RIGHT NOW. :*

EDIT: ....fuck you, you caught me. It's already April 2nd here. :/
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 03:30:14 AM by Wriggle »

Aeteas

• Nonsensical
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 04:51:53 AM »
I got a good laugh :]

Karisa

• Extend!
  • High scores are meant to be broken.
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 05:50:57 AM »
Interesting... Why the title "Satori Rush"?

...wait.

You know, an actual Satori boss rush, where you only face Satori but she uses all 19 of her spells in a row (preferably arranged in a more interesting manner than sorted in order by shot type), could actually be pretty interesting.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 06:17:51 AM by Karisa »

Nindella

• That cat!
  • Nyaaa...
    • Youtube Page!
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 06:05:16 AM »
SOON   :V

I think the biggest thing I'd like here would be practicing Satori, there're so many spells and it'll be nice to get decent at them  :derp: (Exxxxteeending Arrrrmmmm!!!  Princess Undine! DBDB!)

The only reason to practice Satori's stage would probably be for Orin's 2nd midboss attack as the rest is heavily memorisable, so it'd be a nicer way to practice Satori~
Youtube Channel!
Please check it out for Touhou commentaries, LPs, piano transcriptions and more!
My Touhou replays!

Validon98

• Deathguard Night Sparrow
  • Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 11:27:29 AM »
*downloads, runs patch, reads message*

...=_=
Not. Funny. At. All. I understand it's a joke, but man, that disappointed me. A lot. Excuse me while I curse April Fools Day for all eternity.

EDIT: Don't think I don't know it's coming soon. But still...
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 11:34:11 AM by Validon98 »
Derping at Touhou since June 2012, derping at RPing Touhou since Feburary 2013.

Devil of Decline Partial English Gameplay Patch!
Let's Play Nightmare of Rebellion!

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 11:35:01 AM »
- ACHIEVE SATORI
You're supposed to read his mind that it's a prank.
Took long enough for something like this!
"something like this" was meant to be interpreted as another boss rush patch (UFO one was awesome) but in actuality meant an April Fools joke here (hadn't seen any yet).

*downloads, runs patch, reads message*

...=_=
Not. Funny. At. All. I understand it's a joke, but man, that disappointed me. A lot. Excuse me while I curse April Fools Day for all eternity.

EDIT: Don't think I don't know it's coming soon. But still...
Gives away that it's a joke beforehand, so if you'd read the thread you'd have known already  :V

Validon98

• Deathguard Night Sparrow
  • Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 11:45:54 AM »
I didn't know. It's also April 2nd here. I thought for a second I could be off my guard. But nope. Thus the complete feeling of disappointment.

"something like this" was meant to be interpreted as another boss rush patch (UFO one was awesome) but in actuality meant an April Fools joke here (hadn't seen any yet).

And how the hell was I expected to interpret your message as "oh, April Fools joke"? I'm not a mind reader, damn it! Plus I was glad to not have seen any. I don't like April Fools jokes. Not one bit.

I completely missed this until after downloading the patch. I agree. I'm not happy either.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 11:50:13 AM by Validon98 »
Derping at Touhou since June 2012, derping at RPing Touhou since Feburary 2013.

Devil of Decline Partial English Gameplay Patch!
Let's Play Nightmare of Rebellion!

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2013, 12:29:17 PM »
Haha, i usually hate Aprils fools jokes because frankly, i find them to be really stupid, but this one had me completely fooled due to different time zones haha. Nice job.  :)