Author Topic: New PSN terms and conditions lets Sony pick legal arbiter  (Read 1723 times)

Momijibot

• Well?
  • What can you do?
New PSN terms and conditions lets Sony pick legal arbiter
« on: September 17, 2011, 08:14:42 PM »
These two articles here[/i]
outline Sony's new terms and conditions, effective next thursday, which means that users will be required to sign a new set of terms and conditions, which reads

ANY DISPUTE RESOLUTION PROCEEDINGS, WHETHER IN ARBITRATION OR COURT, WILL BE CONDUCTED ONLY ON AN INDIVIDUAL BASIS AND NOT IN A CLASS OR REPRESENTATIVE ACTION OR AS A NAMED OR UNNAMED MEMBER IN A CLASS, CONSOLIDATED, REPRESENTATIVE OR PRIVATE ATTORNEY GENERAL LEGALACTION, UNLESS BOTH YOU AND THE SONY ENTITY WITH WHICH YOU HAVE A DISPUTE SPECIFICALLY AGREE TO DO SO IN WRITING FOLLOWING INITIATION OF THE ARBITRATION.
You can opt out, however, by doing the following:
    YOUR WRITTEN NOTIFICATION MUST BE MAILED TO 6080 CENTER DRIVE, 10TH FLOOR, LOS ANGELES, CA 90045, ATTN: LEGAL DEPARTMENT/ARBITRATION AND MUST INCLUDE: (1) YOUR NAME, (2) YOUR ADDRESS, (3) YOUR PSN ACCOUNT NUMBER, IF YOU HAVE ONE, AND (4) A CLEAR STATEMENT THAT YOU DO NOT WISH TO RESOLVE DISPUTES WITH ANY SONY ENTITY THROUGH ARBITRATION.
Now I'm sure this legally ambiguous and probably can be loophole'd by both sides, but I've not been using PSN at all recently, but I no longer have an incentive to return.

As was pointed out in the comment section, other companies may use similar tactics and, unless you ask for a return receipt and register/certify the letter, Sony can say "Lol letter is where?!", so yeah.

Thoughts?
Anyone here in LA willing to send letters on behalf of Maidens?
PS3 haz no games anyway?
Not legally binding/legally binding ?
Ammy debunk?

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
Re: New PSN terms and conditions lets Sony pick legal arbiter
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 08:28:48 PM »
Moved to the VG forum.

Odd that phone moves don't leave redirect threads, though.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 09:02:43 PM »
Requestan Maullar
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 09:05:52 PM »
Requestan Maullar
* Suikama prepares the bondage bait

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 04:27:18 AM »
Maullar's not necessary for this one, though if he or Kefit want to add comments...

Back in April, SCOTUS said that companies can force arbitration in contractual obligations - specifically, though an AT&T case.  This is not a surprising move by Sony at all, and practically every big company is doing this in their EULA - or will soon.

It's another big shield for companies to hide behind in the US.