Author Topic: Team Fortress 8  (Read 83715 times)

Re: Team Fortress 8
« Reply #660 on: October 18, 2010, 03:22:48 AM »
Engiecrabs were here, spycrabs are losers.

[attach=1]

I'm half-tempted to try to pass off the particle effect as my Safe'n'Sound being an unusual. :V

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
  • Who is it that calls for me?
« Reply #661 on: October 18, 2010, 05:45:24 AM »
Sweet. Played a good number of Payload games and was doing rather well as a Sniper. Got some awesome headshots on some crazy targets that I don't even know HOW I hit. It was epic.

Also got Sniper Achievement Milestone 2 and another Jarate I don't need. Wooohoo.

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #662 on: October 18, 2010, 05:47:03 AM »
Simple. Keep and use the achievement weapons, trade the spares.

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
« Reply #663 on: October 18, 2010, 07:21:38 AM »
lololpeople

I was just having a really, really good game of Payload. Racked up a score of 29 towards the end until I timed out with bonky connection issues, was getting some great shots and assists in.

Friendly Pyro: "If only Yoshi wasn't retarded."

I'm like what. I had the 2nd most points of that round and I'm retarded? Ahahahaha. This game is awesome.

And for the record, I was using the sniper rifle like a real man.  :V
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 07:25:38 AM by YellowYoshi »

Herasy

« Reply #664 on: October 18, 2010, 10:37:05 AM »
I have the whole spy polycount set and man..It just doesn't seem worth using with the Dead Ringer.
Not being able to disguise or cloak to sneak up on an enemy means they are almost always going to know there is a spy around. So muting the Dead Ringer's ring when you decloak is not nearly as useful as it sounds (lolpun). But it doesn't seem worth wearing the hat for the other watches since they are already so quiet.

I still use it on servers with derp players though. Its trolltastic  :getdown:

Also, does anyone know if Your Eternal Reward hides kill messages?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 10:40:52 AM by Herasy »

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #665 on: October 18, 2010, 12:30:12 PM »
Yes, it does. That's what "Silent Kill" means.

I'm still on the fence about the YER. It's great if you actually can get a stab, but you have to be really sneaky to get it. High risk, high reward. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to use it.

« Reply #666 on: October 18, 2010, 12:33:28 PM »
I have the whole spy polycount set and man..It just doesn't seem worth using with the Dead Ringer.
Not being able to disguise or cloak to sneak up on an enemy means they are almost always going to know there is a spy around. So muting the Dead Ringer's ring when you decloak is not nearly as useful as it sounds (lolpun). But it doesn't seem worth wearing the hat for the other watches since they are already so quiet.

I still use it on servers with derp players though. Its trolltastic  :getdown:

Also, does anyone know if Your Eternal Reward hides kill messages?
What, the spy set was practically made for the DR.  With L'Etranger you should almost always be able to DR away from a bad situation, even if you just decloaked.  The DR cloak becomes so quiet you can literally decloak behind someone without hem hearing you, and even if they did hear you it'd sound like a far-off regular cloak anyway.

And no, kill messages are plainly visible.

Barrakketh

• You're suddenly Director of Fixing That Shit!
  • Vice President of It's Your Problem Now.
« Reply #667 on: October 18, 2010, 02:19:16 PM »
And no, kill messages are plainly visible.
On the other hand, Robin Walker said that they will be hiding them in the future.
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

« Reply #668 on: October 18, 2010, 04:00:25 PM »
They should make it so your team can still see them. Getting kills and seeing the display is what makes my team know I'm the man.

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #669 on: October 18, 2010, 04:20:13 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, I think YER kills are slightly delayed.

communist unity (comm-unity)

• Boss of the Gym
  • 100% salt
« Reply #670 on: October 18, 2010, 05:07:55 PM »
YER seems inferior to the knife on non-chokepoint maps. Even if disguises are paper-thin (no pun intended, heh),  they let you blend in a lot better and you can see enemy HP at all time; so you can pick off low hp enemies with your revolver. You have to stab to get those benefits with YER.

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #671 on: October 18, 2010, 05:14:36 PM »
I agree that YER is a high-risk high-reward weapon, but I think playing a spy is risky enough; with spy-checking and just the occasional bad luck you die often enough with normal disguises, and I don't think the tradeoff is worth it.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

« Reply #672 on: October 18, 2010, 05:32:55 PM »
I dislike having to bring up the disguise menu. There has to be a mod or something to make it smaller.
But I'd like a YER just so I wouldn't have to deal with the menu. I spend most my time invisible with the CND anyways.

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
« Reply #673 on: October 18, 2010, 05:43:02 PM »
I dislike having to bring up the disguise menu. There has to be a mod or something to make it smaller.
But I'd like a YER just so I wouldn't have to deal with the menu. I spend most my time invisible with the CND anyways.

I think the same thing whenever I try to Spy, except I don't have a CND at the moment, just a Dead Ringer. I feel like you can generally be more efficient with kills or intel with CND since you can stay cloaked indefinitely just by taking a break every so often. The YER seems pretty good if you spend time picking off groups of people at the rear too since you can take out whoever is in the back and then move ahead with the group to continue.

The only thing would be that it's a much more "wait to strike" style rather than full-out aggression.

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #674 on: October 18, 2010, 05:46:24 PM »
I almost never play spy, but wasn't there a "last-disguise" key which, as the name would rightly have you believe, directly puts on your last disguise?

I believe it was the 'b' key.
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

communist unity (comm-unity)

• Boss of the Gym
  • 100% salt
« Reply #675 on: October 18, 2010, 05:55:52 PM »
I'd say the CND is best used with the polycount spy pack. wait at a good chokepoint for people to pass by and unlock/stab them. Shoot people to recover CND cloak, etc.

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
« Reply #676 on: October 18, 2010, 06:06:09 PM »
I love how I'm discussing a class I fail at and don't play.  :V

On another note I believe Sniper is officially my main class. So much love. :3

« Reply #677 on: October 18, 2010, 07:22:08 PM »
I almost never play spy, but wasn't there a "last-disguise" key which, as the name would rightly have you believe, directly puts on your last disguise?

I believe it was the 'b' key.

I'd still end up switching through the disguise case though since I don't use quick switch, but thanks for the advice.
I'll be sure to use it until I get a YER.

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #678 on: October 18, 2010, 08:00:48 PM »
Last disguise isn't as effective as you'd think, though; as soon as someone spots you in disguising in the killcam, they usually call out to their team, 'Spy is <whatever>'. Best bet for the 'b' key would be to last-disguise and run off, cloak, and take the time while you're invisible to pick your way through the disguise list.

What I'd prefer for the disguise interface, though, would be a one-key disguise select. Trying to disguise on the run pretty much limits me to the first three or four disguises, otherwise I have to take my hand off the WSAD keys or the mouse, both of which are counter-productive towards trying to flee. Also, hitting 4 then clicking is a bit icky, too, because you can't quick-switch to your disguise case. Not that I've noticed, at least. Maybe I'm doin it wrong :v

« Reply #679 on: October 18, 2010, 08:15:35 PM »
disguise # #

I bind scout disguise to mouse4, and friendly spy (basically, remove disguise) to F.

EDIT: oh dear god awesome ghost traded me an unusual modest pile
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 08:31:54 PM by Esoterica »

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
« Reply #680 on: October 18, 2010, 09:23:57 PM »
Oh geebus Snipers completely rape Engie nests. It's quite hilarious to headshot an engineer that is distracted by his PDA and then promptly destroy whatever he was trying to build before it even deploys.

« Reply #681 on: October 18, 2010, 09:33:44 PM »
Ah yes the Engi PDAs. Another reason why I hate items that give you pop up menus.

Helion

• I am the very model of a scientist salarian
« Reply #682 on: October 18, 2010, 09:42:11 PM »
Your Eternal Reward is unusable whenever the map is: a. attack/defense, b. there's engineers.

« Reply #683 on: October 18, 2010, 09:55:22 PM »
Engineers are still easy enough to backstab and then sap the sentry or get a disguise from some one else.
If anything it makes it easier to stab first sap later b/c the engi won't see it coming and the sentry won't attack you.
The cloak is far more important than the disguise.   

Also backstabbing someone with a medic on them automatically causes the medic to heal you which is always nice for some buff.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 10:05:50 PM by Cadmas »

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #684 on: October 18, 2010, 10:20:31 PM »
Engineers are still easy enough to backstab and then sap the sentry or get a disguise from some one else.
If anything it makes it easier to stab first sap later b/c the engi won't see it coming and the sentry won't attack you.
The cloak is far more important than the disguise.   

Also backstabbing someone with a medic on them automatically causes the medic to heal you which is always nice for some buff.

Yeah, but if the medic is paying attention, he's going to call out to his team members and gangrape you with syringes/saw.

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #685 on: October 18, 2010, 10:27:11 PM »
Stand behind the Engineer with the Sentry gun in front of him, decloak, and drop your disguise. He'll be gunned down by his own turret :D

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #686 on: October 18, 2010, 11:55:27 PM »
bonus points if you're behind his dispenser.

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

Mounting Jaggis

• It's a dinosaur rodeo!
  • Yeee haww!
« Reply #687 on: October 18, 2010, 11:58:28 PM »
The sentry doesn't attack if you are behind another building.

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #688 on: October 19, 2010, 12:09:23 AM »
Really I seem to remember uncloaking behind a dispenser on gorge(2nd point.) The sentry tried to shoot me, killing it's engie.

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

« Reply #689 on: October 19, 2010, 12:23:13 AM »
Really I seem to remember uncloaking behind a dispenser on gorge(2nd point.) The sentry tried to shoot me, killing it's engie.
They half-patched it; if it can see your chest it'll still shoot, meaning there's still an inch or two of space where it'll still harmlessly shoot the dispenser or (less harmlessly) the engie.

Speaking of engie buildings, engie crab >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> spycrab