Author Topic: Team Fortress 8  (Read 83707 times)

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
  • Who is it that calls for me?
Re: Team Fortress 8
« Reply #570 on: October 16, 2010, 08:48:35 PM »
Found a Degreaser and Flare Gun which prompted me to retry the Pyro. I did surprisingly well the first few rounds then switched to a CTF game and kept getting horribly maimed before I could do anything to anyone. Am I doing it wrong?

Bananamatic

« Reply #571 on: October 16, 2010, 09:02:00 PM »
Flaregun sucks, the shotgun is pretty much your primary. And don't charge blindly :V

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
« Reply #572 on: October 16, 2010, 09:11:10 PM »
Is it basically using the Degreaser for the weapon switch speed and then catching enemies on fire then flanking them with the shotty? I run into problems in that I constantly get killed before I can get in a decent range. I guess it does require knowledge of maps to take less used paths...

Also, I'm guessing I want the Axstinguisher as well? I haven't gotten one yet though.

I'm basically seeing that my top three classes are Soldier, Scout, and Pyro.... incidentally the 3 "Offense" classes. That's kinda fitting actually.

Bananamatic

« Reply #573 on: October 16, 2010, 09:16:19 PM »
Pyro isn't offensive at all tbh. And yeah, get the axtinguisher and bind melee to an easy to access button - I have it on F.

And use the airblast. Pyro without airblast is nothing.

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
« Reply #574 on: October 16, 2010, 09:24:21 PM »
Flare Gun didn't seem too terrible when I used it but god it's a pain in the ass to aim. Aiming in general seems to be lol for me anyways but whatever.

I already got a few Pyro achievements at least. :3

Bananamatic

« Reply #575 on: October 16, 2010, 09:26:15 PM »
Shotgun is much better, as the flamethrower's range is very limited.

Ryuu

• time for kittyrina lessons
  • time to press r again
« Reply #576 on: October 16, 2010, 09:28:28 PM »
flare gun is really only useful for sniper harassment

imo the pyro is best utilized as a harassment class instead of a kill class. it's more useful to set the enemy line on fire and retreat than it is to stay trying to burn the heavy/medic down. especially since a lot of people fall back immediately after being set on fire instead of allowing the medic to heal the fire away

http://ryuukyunplaysstuff.tumblr.com/ read about me playing league i guess

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
« Reply #577 on: October 16, 2010, 09:32:04 PM »
It does make more sense for the general range a Pyro tends to be in... and if you're in that range you might as well get your Axstinguisher out for on-fire buffs. At least the Flare Gun was a nice idea *in theory*. I've seen some people do some pretty painful things with it but it seems to need a lot more skill than I have to be useful.

I think in general I need to be more conscious about weapon switching. As a Soldier, I'll tend to fire rockets everywhere when people get in close range. I know it's pretty much the last thing you should do but for some reason I never just switch to my shotty or shovel.

Is it just me or is Soldier the only purely offensive class that TF2 classifies as such? Scout and Pyro seem to be more about distracting and injuring than just outright power.

Bananamatic

« Reply #578 on: October 16, 2010, 09:39:31 PM »
pyro can kill, just know your goddamn limits.
Don't rush in, light up/airblast/shotgun, if they don't see you or they are a heavier class light up/axtinguish.
Only time when I rush is against a setting up engie, sending back the engie back to the spawn along with his nest is worth it even if you die.

Also, know when to retreat. If you meet a heavy around the corner, light up/blast him back and run like hell. In the end, pyro is about making the correct decisions and having fast reflexes, not about godly aim.

Is it just me or is Soldier the only purely offensive class that TF2 classifies as such? Scout and Pyro seem to be more about distracting and injuring than just outright power.
It depends on medic support and overall teamwork. Any class can help with pushing...except for 99% of snipers :V

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
« Reply #579 on: October 16, 2010, 09:45:12 PM »
So wait, does airblasting an enemy push them back without putting the fire out? If so that's pretty useful. Also it might typically be a better idea to hang back a bit at the starts of matches to where you can meet people spread out rather than running head on into a giant ass group of trigger happy baddies.

I can't tell you how many pyros have killed me relentlessly.  :V

It was a class I was  honestly not expecting to like too much but randomly trying it again yielded better results than expected. I think the only thing is I'll miss having a rocket jump if I'm not playing as Soldier.  :derp:

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #580 on: October 16, 2010, 09:48:07 PM »
Airblast can put out teammates who are on fire.

Enemies get blown away, but they stay on fire.
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Bananamatic

« Reply #581 on: October 16, 2010, 09:51:21 PM »
Counter pyros with the shotgun, as most of them just charge like tards. If they get too close, airblast them :V

« Reply #582 on: October 16, 2010, 10:01:46 PM »
The classifications really shouldn't be taken too seriously.  Pyros are geared more defensively than offensively, while Demomen are just as good at offense as defense.  Engineer and Heavy can also be used offensively.

The scout's definitely an offensive class, though.  With perfect aim, the scattergun has the second-highest practical DPS in the game (practical meaning, it's a DPS that should actually be expected; for example, Heavy can do 540 point-blank, but he has to rev and every class can outrun him).

Bananamatic

« Reply #583 on: October 16, 2010, 10:06:17 PM »
Heavy takes 10x less skill to use though. I definitely wouldn't expect that DPS on pubs, as most scouts I fight are still dumb enough to get lit up.

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
« Reply #584 on: October 16, 2010, 10:11:59 PM »
I actually dislike Heavy immensely. Way too slow for my tastes and even if you just light people up with crazy shots per second, the spread gets pretty awful at long distance.

« Reply #585 on: October 16, 2010, 10:37:24 PM »
I actually dislike Heavy immensely. Way too slow for my tastes and even if you just light people up with crazy shots per second, the spread gets pretty awful at long distance.
I hated him until the GRU came out.

Normal-speed heavy with a jump height equal to a scout doublejump is a hell of a lot more fun. :V

Bananamatic

« Reply #586 on: October 16, 2010, 11:14:32 PM »
He's still overpowered as fuck, most of the good players on the server I frequent agree.

I'd love heavy if you could replace the minigun with a sandvich.

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #587 on: October 16, 2010, 11:30:01 PM »
lol, the things people do...

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
« Reply #588 on: October 17, 2010, 12:31:01 AM »
Getting rocket reflection kills is hilarious and entertaining. Pyro is so much fun.  :V Also I seem to be doing rather well with the class. I've gotten some good kills here and there but my shotgun aim could use a bit of work. I will forever hate Scouts with a burning passion. I can usually set them ablaze but finishing them off is another story. I laugh in the face of Soldiers who try to rocket me.  :derp:

Also finally got one of the Soldier's taunt achievements (21 gun salute). Progress is nice. Traded my crate for an Equalizer then promptly got another one. Lolol.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 12:34:20 AM by YellowYoshi »

« Reply #589 on: October 17, 2010, 12:35:34 AM »
My brother got a new gfx card for his bday and then he put the language on French.

So I will be playing French Fortress 2 with top quality graphics and a tiny screen.

« Reply #590 on: October 17, 2010, 01:15:38 AM »

Bananamatic

« Reply #591 on: October 17, 2010, 01:22:40 AM »
am i cool yet
only if you tell me how to read the soldiers' minds

seriously, how am I supposed to know how long are the pauses going to be

« Reply #592 on: October 17, 2010, 01:26:10 AM »
only if you tell me how to read the soldiers' minds

seriously, how am I supposed to know how long are the pauses going to be
Attack Interval: 0.8
Reload Base: 0.8
Average human reaction time: ~0.2s

Bananamatic

« Reply #593 on: October 17, 2010, 01:28:08 AM »
So you are telling me that there are soldiers which spam rockets without any pauses in competitive? :V

« Reply #594 on: October 17, 2010, 01:29:43 AM »
So you are telling me that there are soldiers which spam rockets without any pauses in competitive? :V
There are soldiers that forget Pyros still exist in competitive. :V

EDIT: oh lol, just noticed the blu demo that runs by me is the spy that nearly backcapped on us
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 01:34:55 AM by Esoterica »

Bananamatic

« Reply #595 on: October 17, 2010, 01:34:38 AM »
There are soldiers that forget Pyros still exist in competitive. :V
6v6 or 9v9? you should expect a pyro in highlander tbh

« Reply #596 on: October 17, 2010, 01:35:27 AM »
6v6 or 9v9? you should expect a pyro in highlander tbh
Maybe he's just a shitty solly then.

Bananamatic

« Reply #597 on: October 17, 2010, 01:37:23 AM »
Maybe he's just a shitty solly then.
They always look like good ones until a good pyro comes :V

Mounting Jaggis

• It's a dinosaur rodeo!
  • Yeee haww!
« Reply #598 on: October 17, 2010, 02:10:02 AM »
I was playing as a backup Engie for the Halolz Highlander team, and we got our asses kicked. But we already knew that was going to happen. The only things that are worth highlighting on my part are sneaking behind a Heavy guarding the second point on the first stage of Dustbowl and killing him with only my Pistol, hauling a level 3 sentry so it overlooks the second point on the second stage of Dustbowl killing anyone that tried to defend, and killing a Heavy with revenge crits at the same time his Medic activated uber.

We won 2 rounds of Granary because almost half their team kept disconnecting but once they fixed it they plowed us to the ground.

communist unity (comm-unity)

• Boss of the Gym
  • 100% salt
« Reply #599 on: October 17, 2010, 02:50:47 AM »
am i cool yet

Triple domination.  :getdown:
i'm probably going to get stomped in my league match because DUSTBOWL