Author Topic: Team Fortress 8  (Read 83715 times)

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
Re: Team Fortress 8
« Reply #120 on: September 14, 2010, 06:28:14 AM »
79 kills in one round as Spy on Gravel Pit oh my god this map is so much fun

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Barrakketh

• You're suddenly Director of Fixing That Shit!
  • Vice President of It's Your Problem Now.
« Reply #121 on: September 14, 2010, 09:24:32 AM »
79 kills in one round as Spy on Gravel Pit oh my god this map is so much fun
Sorry to be a buzzkill, but the other team is filled with morons :V
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

Bananamatic

« Reply #122 on: September 14, 2010, 10:30:39 AM »
it's a sad day when your best uber is a bat scout

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #123 on: September 14, 2010, 11:38:33 AM »
it's a sad day when your best uber is a bat scout
You take what you get. I once decided a match by ubering a huntsman sniper.  :derp:

And yeah, Gravelpit is definitely the best of the original 6 maps. Well, I never played Hydro, but I haven't really heard much good about it.
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Bananamatic

« Reply #124 on: September 14, 2010, 11:45:04 AM »
which one is gravelpit again

and yeah bad team=good spies :V

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
« Reply #125 on: September 14, 2010, 11:52:44 AM »
which one is gravelpit again

and yeah bad team=good spies :V
Gravel Pit

Attack/Defend with multiple routes and the tower at the end.

Blu
 /   
A - B
    /
  C - Red

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Bananamatic

« Reply #126 on: September 14, 2010, 12:04:49 PM »
Oh, that one. I play too much arena :V

theshirn

« Reply #127 on: September 14, 2010, 05:09:00 PM »
Sorry to be a buzzkill, but the other team is filled with morons :V
Obviously.  But still, I keep having consistently great rounds as Spy, consistently first place by at least 10 points, etc.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Barrakketh

« Reply #128 on: September 14, 2010, 06:29:55 PM »
Obviously.  But still, I keep having consistently great rounds as Spy, consistently first place by at least 10 points, etc.
Like I said, bad/stacked teams.  Consistently makes it even more obvious.

The fact of the matter is that outside of the odd round where the defense is so crap that the traditional point whore classes won't be MVP (medics, engineers, heavies, and demos...especially kritzed demos) thanks to the point bonus granted by backstabs a good team will be killing spies before they get a chance to attack.  A spy will die many, many times to random bullshit (stray grenades, stickies, and rockets) and proactive spy checking.

When practically every member of the other team is shooting every teammate to check for spies and there are one or two pyros hunting for them (in my case I regularly use The Homewrecker for my engi brosefs, especially when defending), you're going to have a hard time getting a kill.  This is especially the case when multiple teammates have a mic to notify the team that there is a spy, what class it is disguised as, and whether it is using the Dead Ringer (I'll remind my team every time I notice a DR spy get "killed" that it is, in fact, a DR spy).

Sometimes spies can make MVP in generally unfavorable conditions (especially with your typical dumb engies and sapper spamming), but it should be nigh impossible against a competent team.  Spies are most valuable for work that isn't reflected on the scoreboard, namely picking off good snipers, medics (more important when they are close to an ubercharge), and engineers (sometimes cooperating with a demo/soldier to make it safe for them take out a sentry).
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

theshirn

« Reply #129 on: September 14, 2010, 06:40:56 PM »
Welp, this last game they were spy-checking like crazy.  I still put up a decent total, though.  I dunno why, but for some reason I'm simply more competent as a Spy on Gravel Pit than anywhere else.

Barrakketh

« Reply #130 on: September 15, 2010, 01:51:32 AM »
Welp, this last game they were spy-checking like crazy.  I still put up a decent total, though.  I dunno why, but for some reason I'm simply more competent as a Spy on Gravel Pit than anywhere else.
It's easier on open maps as opposed to linear ones, especially when a team is splitting itself up between two points (spawn and C to B, spawn to A and B).

If it's a good map for scouts, it's probably a good map for spies (questionable on nucleus due to its size and how spread out players usually are).  It's also dependent on the number of not-stupid scouts running around since spies and scouts take similar routes since they're supposed to ambush people and a scout that notices you first can kill you quickly.  Pyros aren't well suited for that since they're generally fucked if they are spotted first, even if they do rely on ambushing as well.

Payload maps generally suck if you're on defense, notable exceptions are open areas like the starting area of badwater (the first two points, really), the first and second goldrush maps, up to the first point of the third goldrush map, etc.  To some extent you can make the other sections doable with the Dead Ringer, but narrow choke points are spamfests that you can't really make it past without getting blown up or spotted and then shot without it.

Harvest can be a wonderful spy map if you're using the DR and the other team isn't completely paranoid, even if there are a shit-ton of pyros running around.

« Reply #131 on: September 15, 2010, 01:58:25 AM »
Payload maps generally suck if you're on defense
Au contraire, Payload maps are some of the best maps to play defensive spy on.  When people push the cart, they're almost always looking forward.  Jump on the cart with them and enjoy the stabbing spree.  It's one of the few situations where I'd even recommend the backburner.

Barrakketh

« Reply #132 on: September 15, 2010, 07:15:29 AM »
Au contraire, Payload maps are some of the best maps to play defensive spy on.  When people push the cart, they're almost always looking forward.
Getting behind them is the problem.  The stabs may be easier if you can do so, but in my experience you're usually going to die without relying on the DR.  Unless the offense is respawning there is way too much crossfire for you to sneak by.  This is mainly why I mentioned the spammy choke points: basically the entire area between the first cap point and the final point on the last map of goldrush is basically a death trap.

Speaking of death traps, I uploaded a demo of me as medic on Upward from last night...this is why good snipers and spies should try and kill medics (and you'll notice that one sniper was really harassing me on defense for a while).  Despite what it might look like at times, the score board was rather even other than the demoman you see me kritzing whenever it came up and myself.  The demo was also able to reliably save me from kamikaze pyros :)  Pointing out stupid shit I did is always welcome.  Kritz madness doesn't start until late in the second (IIRC) round we have to defend...and after watching the demo it really wasn't as impressive as it felt while playing.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 11:41:19 AM by Barrakketh »

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
« Reply #133 on: September 15, 2010, 08:54:44 AM »
This is mainly why I mentioned the spammy choke points: basically the entire area between the first cap point and the final point on the last map of goldrush is basically a death trap.
Goldrush is bad. Badwater is a good payload map.  :derp:

theshirn

« Reply #134 on: September 16, 2010, 05:57:14 AM »
holy hell 36 points as Spy on Gravel Pit

my old best was 24 as a Medic

Mounting Jaggis

• It's a dinosaur rodeo!
  • Yeee haww!
« Reply #135 on: September 17, 2010, 09:24:21 PM »
Oh God, sentry jumping is fucking awesome! I just caught a lot of people off guard when I sentry jumped to the last point on cp_steel at the start of the round. I almost capped the point by myself, unfortunately my team was so horrible that the entire enemy team was still alive and they were able to send enough people to destroy my sentry. They couldn't even get on the first point even while I was distracting half the team.

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #136 on: September 17, 2010, 09:37:33 PM »
Do you think that they could make a good territory control map? It seems that Valve has given up on it, with it being the only gametype with one official map.

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

Barrakketh

« Reply #137 on: September 17, 2010, 10:34:48 PM »
Do you think that they could make a good territory control map? It seems that Valve has given up on it, with it being the only gametype with one official map.
Valve isn't sure whether hydro just sucks or that the TC mode itself is flawed.

Mounting Jaggis

• It's a dinosaur rodeo!
  • Yeee haww!
« Reply #138 on: September 17, 2010, 10:49:06 PM »
Did anyone else notice the trading subforum in the TF2 forums? How long has that been there?

WTT Hatless Sniper and Mining Light for [EPIC] Hats. pst me... maybe the MMO joke is getting kinda old.

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #139 on: September 17, 2010, 10:56:05 PM »
Did anyone else notice the trading subforum in the TF2 forums? How long has that been there?

WTT Hatless Sniper and Mining Light for [EPIC] Hats. pst me... maybe the MMO joke is getting kinda old.

Just craft them. <_<

Bananamatic

« Reply #140 on: September 17, 2010, 11:02:57 PM »
dear god people

STICKIES ARE A SECONDARY WEAPON
GOT IT

Barrakketh

« Reply #141 on: September 17, 2010, 11:11:26 PM »
dear god people

STICKIES ARE A SECONDARY WEAPON
GOT IT
Until the WAR update the sticky launcher was the primary weapon, and even now you'll find that it is still treated as the primary weapon in other parts of the game (like crafting).

The sticky launcher is also the superior weapon in 99% of situations, and I refuse to kritz or uber a demo that doesn't have it.  I'll give one to a scout before a chargin' 'tard.

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #142 on: September 17, 2010, 11:15:22 PM »
I like the scottish resistance, so I literally can't use stickies as a primary weapon.

Mounting Jaggis

• It's a dinosaur rodeo!
  • Yeee haww!
« Reply #143 on: September 17, 2010, 11:20:33 PM »
They should just change the Sticky Launcher back to secondary on the loadout page. The Demo didn't win the Gunboats so there's no point in making people think that it is primary.

I play with the Targe and Bottle, I'm decent enough with the Grenade Launcher that I feel I don't need the sticky. Plus it's nice to have extra survivability against Pyros, Demos, and Soldiers even when I don't melee. Though I try to avoid friendly Medics when they have uber because the Stickies are a better weapon when ubered.

Bananamatic

« Reply #144 on: September 18, 2010, 12:36:55 AM »
I'm not even sure if I am a good demomanknight

80% of the time my k:d is above 1, most kills are with pipes, I try to hit directly etc.
I'll probably record a demo tomorrow so somebody can judge that

also crit nades are hilarious, I was on my last HP and tried to hit the always annoying scout, ended up hitting 3 scouts in a single shot with a crit :V

Also got the pipe award for today...anyone else playing on UKCS?

« Reply #145 on: September 18, 2010, 02:11:13 AM »
I miss how the sticky launcher was bugged during the War update and had like 0 arm time.

Muahahahahaha. 

Bananamatic

« Reply #146 on: September 18, 2010, 01:29:42 PM »
Is anyone here willing to watch 1 hour of demos to tell me how good/bad I am and if I spam or not? :V

badwater
cp_well
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 01:49:27 PM by Bananamatic »

Gc

• youtu.be/pRZpjlrKM8A
« Reply #147 on: September 18, 2010, 06:44:52 PM »
[14:28]   <LAMECUBIC>   Playing TF2, ok FPS, ok game
[14:28]   <LAMECUBIC>   RANDOM CRASH TO WINDOWS LOLOLOLOL

also, it was on plr_hightower

EDIT:
It keeps happening. This time on orange.

EDIT2:
[16:14]   <Gamecubic>   CLIENT TIMEOUT WHILE PLAYING WITH BOTS ON MY OWN COMPUTER WHAT THE FUCK HOW IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 08:15:44 PM by Gamecubic »

Bananamatic

« Reply #148 on: September 18, 2010, 08:17:32 PM »
I don't crash all that often...maybe once a week or less.

Also, was CottonPicker playing demoman?

« Reply #149 on: September 18, 2010, 09:00:20 PM »
[14:28]   <LAMECUBIC>   Playing TF2, ok FPS, ok game
[14:28]   <LAMECUBIC>   RANDOM CRASH TO WINDOWS LOLOLOLOL

also, it was on plr_hightower

EDIT:
It keeps happening. This time on orange.

EDIT2:
[16:14]   <Gamecubic>   CLIENT TIMEOUT WHILE PLAYING WITH BOTS ON MY OWN COMPUTER WHAT THE FUCK HOW IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE
TF2 has some silly crashing issues.

System specs and OS?