Author Topic: Team Fortress 8  (Read 83710 times)

Re: Team Fortress 8
« Reply #90 on: September 05, 2010, 03:43:50 PM »
1. Reduce the size of the particle hitboxes but increase the spread of them so that the shape of the damage cone stays relatively the same.

Bad players will do less damage. Good players will do more damage. Everyone is happy.

Thoughts?
I'm not sure if you understand just how bad the flamethrower's spread is, because it's literally about 1.5~2 times as much as the minigun's.  A great example a few days ago: I went to puff'n'sting a medic on granary when he had his kritz charged, with the intent of picking him off before his patient could do anything about it.   First puff, take out the axe, and to my surprise/misfortune he wasn't on fire.  Bad particle, too far away, let's try that again.  Take out the flamethrower, puff again at near-pointblank, whip out the axe, and...he didn't light that time either.  At this point I'm positive his soldier's realized something's gone wrong, so I add more flames and airblast again...only one particle hits and the soldier kills me, then gets kritzed and wipes the rest of my team.

/anecdote

Less spread, 133% damage rampup, and less ways to remove afterburn is really all he needs.

Mounting Jaggis

• It's a dinosaur rodeo!
  • Yeee haww!
« Reply #91 on: September 05, 2010, 04:02:46 PM »
I really hate that, I don't puff anymore because I keep missing the Medic and get killed by his patient. Now I hold the fire button until I hear the Medic yell FIRE. And it's not only against a Medic, it's with every class. I can sneak up behind a Heavy, puff when I get close enough and end up getting $400,000 worth of bullets on my face because my axtinguisher didn't do any damage after the particle decided to go to the direction where the nearest wall is.

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #92 on: September 05, 2010, 04:07:34 PM »
I'm not sure if you understand just how bad the flamethrower's spread is, because it's literally about 1.5~2 times as much as the minigun's.  A great example a few days ago: I went to puff'n'sting a medic on granary when he had his kritz charged, with the intent of picking him off before his patient could do anything about it.   First puff, take out the axe, and to my surprise/misfortune he wasn't on fire.  Bad particle, too far away, let's try that again.  Take out the flamethrower, puff again at near-pointblank, whip out the axe, and...he didn't light that time either.  At this point I'm positive his soldier's realized something's gone wrong, so I add more flames and airblast again...only one particle hits and the soldier kills me, then gets kritzed and wipes the rest of my team.
Stuff like that happened to me as well. I believe that this is a whole other problem: The damaging area of the fire particles does not coincide with the visual fire, where an enemy that is within the flame visual is not hit by a particle while merely being close to the pyro can mean you'll get lit on fire, especially if he is moving erratically. Actually, why am I saying this, you know this better than me.  :derp:
To change that, the mechanic would have to be revamped entirely, but that is not going to happen, is it?

What I meant was that aiming somewhere else than directly to where the target will be when the flames hit will make less particles hit, but if you do manage to hit with more of them, you would deal much more damage. However, now that you have reminded me of the visual problem, I see that this is a bad idea.

Although, really, why is it that there are seperate particles for visuals and effect? Why doesn't valve make it so the damage particles have a distinct visual component, and that this way you can always see where your actual damage is going? You could keep a gentle permanent graphic effect coming from the flamethrower but have the main meat of the flame visuals come from the damaging particles themselves. And if that looks weird/bad with the current particle behaviour, then the particle behaviour would need a change.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 04:11:36 PM by Iryan »
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Mounting Jaggis

• It's a dinosaur rodeo!
  • Yeee haww!
« Reply #93 on: September 05, 2010, 11:07:36 PM »
Valve stated that the Pyro is the 'King of CQC', but let's look at some of the DPS:
Flamethrower DPS at point blank: 139.5
Flamethrower crit DPS at point plank: 427.5
Backburner DPS at point blank: 160.4
Backburner crit DPS at point blank: 472.5

Shotgun DPS at point blank: 133-150
Shotgun crit DPS at point blank: 300

Sasha DPS at point blank: 500-540
Sasha crit DPS at point blank: 1080
Natascha DPS at point blank: 320-360
Natascha crit DPS at point blank: 720

Facts:
Sasha deals more damage than a crit Flamethrower and crit Backburner
The Pyro's secondary weapon can deal more damage than the Flamethrower without crits and it is shared by 3 other classes
Natascha is more effective at taking out retreating enemies than the afterburn
Bleeding is more visually noisy than burning
Both Miniguns can still deal decent damage outside of the Flamethrower's range
An average Heavy player can notice the Pyro player burning him and can mow him down before he gets the second axtiguisher hit after the Heavy got buffed
I kill Pyros as a Bottleknight all the time
Almost every class can do something the Pyro can, but better

« Reply #94 on: September 05, 2010, 11:15:10 PM »
You forgot the big one:  Unlike every other class's weapons, the flamethrower is stuck with a close-range limitation.

Also, flamethrower crits are bugged, and are the only crits in the game that still suffer from damage falloff.

communist unity (comm-unity)

• Boss of the Gym
  • 100% salt
« Reply #95 on: September 05, 2010, 11:55:31 PM »
I find it useless to puff people for an axetinguisher kill unless they're faster than me (medic, scout), a soldier, or a huntsman sniper. It just pushes them away and makes for a slower kill, wasting more time.

Mounting Jaggis

• It's a dinosaur rodeo!
  • Yeee haww!
« Reply #96 on: September 06, 2010, 05:04:30 PM »

« Reply #97 on: September 06, 2010, 05:09:50 PM »
I want to end up in a server with this guy.
I guessed what the vid was before I clicked it. BV

174.34.173.110:27015
Say hi for me.

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #98 on: September 06, 2010, 08:18:10 PM »
I guessed what the vid was before I clicked it. BV

174.34.173.110:27015
Say hi for me.

Somehow, I did too. :V
Is that the server?

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

« Reply #99 on: September 06, 2010, 08:25:59 PM »
Somehow, I did too. :V
Is that the server?
Yup.

Barrakketh

• You're suddenly Director of Fixing That Shit!
  • Vice President of It's Your Problem Now.
« Reply #100 on: September 06, 2010, 08:43:23 PM »
Yup.
It's even posted in the video's description :V
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

« Reply #101 on: September 06, 2010, 08:48:17 PM »
It's even posted in the video's description :V
oh goddammit, I didn't even see that

I grabbed that from page 3 on the comments.

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #102 on: September 06, 2010, 08:51:51 PM »
Meh. Idk how I was able to watch all ten minutes the first time. I think I had homework, although that didn't work this time.

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

« Reply #103 on: September 07, 2010, 03:26:28 AM »
Someone mentioned Bomb Defusal Gloves for the Pyro over on SPUF that would pretty much function as melee-slot Gunboats.

Needless to say, I had to put them in the game. :3

Loadout

Awesome placeholder model

18 HP to jump to the top floor of Walkway?  More likely than you may think.

« Reply #104 on: September 07, 2010, 05:08:00 PM »

Bananamatic

« Reply #105 on: September 08, 2010, 01:02:46 PM »
I'll probably get probated and unprobated 2 more times before polycount comes out

goddamn valve, I have 3 refined already

Mounting Jaggis

• It's a dinosaur rodeo!
  • Yeee haww!
« Reply #106 on: September 09, 2010, 12:39:30 PM »
I go to Halolz daily,and  there's a TF2 GMod video about the 'Meet the Spy' But Youtube removed the video before it appeared on Halolz. Apparently Gmod videos are copyright infringement. Last time I saw Youtube do something this stupid was when they removed the 'Meet the Scout' video from Valve's own channel, but it looks like they unbanned that video. I think the Youtube admins love to remove videos randomly.

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #107 on: September 11, 2010, 12:28:23 AM »
Anyone have problems with TF2? Just about every server has >500 ping for me.

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

Mounting Jaggis

• It's a dinosaur rodeo!
  • Yeee haww!
« Reply #108 on: September 11, 2010, 12:30:29 AM »
Not me, but several people on the Steam forums have said that they are getting high ping and crashing on the load screen after the recent updates.

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #109 on: September 11, 2010, 03:50:11 AM »
Ok. Well, it seems to be working for me now...

Also, did they purge the You wa ban group?

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

Bananamatic

« Reply #110 on: September 12, 2010, 04:34:14 PM »
Accidentally managed to airshot a scout after launching him by luck

and goddamn why do I suck with stickies so much

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #111 on: September 12, 2010, 08:04:30 PM »
Guys, I decided to try Gunslinger Engie and I can't go back, what do?

Also, it makes e realize how useful the pistol is.

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

Mounting Jaggis

• It's a dinosaur rodeo!
  • Yeee haww!
« Reply #112 on: September 12, 2010, 08:53:07 PM »
Guys, I decided to try Gunslinger Engie and I can't go back, what do?

Play defense. The normal sentry is clearly superior to the mini sentry on defense. I really hate it when people try to defend a point with a mini sentry. The thing gets 1-shotted before it can deal 10 damage and half the time the Engie isn't nearby to help the poor thing.

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #113 on: September 13, 2010, 12:25:59 AM »
Play defense. The normal sentry is clearly superior to the mini sentry on defense. I really hate it when people try to defend a point with a mini sentry. The thing gets 1-shotted before it can deal 10 damage and half the time the Engie isn't nearby to help the poor thing.

Eh...My arguement is that if an uber or something similar craps on the sentry nest, a normal one can't be built in time to stop anything. Guards like that should be part sentry and part mini-sentry IMO. Also, they are easier to hide. Opponents are usually too distracted huge missile shooters to notice the little one giving me revenge crits.
Course like you said, you can't just leave it. But it isn't like you can leave a regular sentry alone anyways.

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

communist unity (comm-unity)

• Boss of the Gym
  • 100% salt
« Reply #114 on: September 13, 2010, 01:13:55 AM »
Minisentries are cool on offense, except for the whole "makes scout impossible to play" thing..
Speaking of sentries, I fell in front of a sentry as a soldier and got an enemy engineer to kill himself via sentry. I should do this more often when I play DR spy. :smug:

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #115 on: September 13, 2010, 01:27:09 AM »
Minisentries are cool on offense, except for the whole "makes scout impossible to play" thing..
Speaking of sentries, I fell in front of a sentry as a soldier and got an enemy engineer to kill himself via sentry. I should do this more often when I play DR spy. :smug:

I do it plenty of times as bonk scout :smug:

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #116 on: September 13, 2010, 11:59:47 AM »
If you don't have this mod installed, you probably get mad at video games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7EK77pLz5I

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #117 on: September 13, 2010, 11:51:41 PM »
played on Gravel Pit for the first time

HOLY CRAP I AM SO GOOD AS A SPY ON GRAVEL PIT

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

« Reply #118 on: September 14, 2010, 12:57:51 AM »
played on Gravel Pit for the first time
why did it take you this long :|

I love gravelpit, I wish more (good) servers ran it.

Mounting Jaggis

• It's a dinosaur rodeo!
  • Yeee haww!
« Reply #119 on: September 14, 2010, 02:11:19 AM »
xCloudx hasn't made any new videos in a while, I guess this is why he was taking so long