Author Topic: Touhou 14.5: 東方深秘録 ~ Urban Legend in Limbo. is HM sequel, demo at Comiket 87  (Read 808017 times)

Komeiji11

• The Gloomy Power of Love
Does anyone actually use the occult skills pretty regularly? They all seem really cool but only a few seem practical for actual battles.

Critz

• Heartwarming ★ Miracle
Miko's occult is crucial to her game and Kasen's a great combo finished. Byakuren's is useful in pressure. Nitori's can shift the momentum in her favor easily and Kokoro's seems solid. Sumireko's non-Mystery Spot occult attack (the homing balls) also looks great, but it's highly risky because of the 2 ball loss on hit.

Futo's occasionally useful for finishing combos and spacing, I think. and I heard Koishi's supposedly very good. The rest feel borderline useless though.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
I like Sukuna's, but then again, I didn't see it getting much use in the tournament videos I watched IIRC. Mokou's is also good because it's More Damage To Stuff You Already Do, but it's not exactly a move.

Sumireko's feels useless to me. You're stuck in place forever and the attack takes so long to shoot out that the opponent should easily be able to graze through it, with no pressure potential. It only happens when I misinput, which is actually a botheringly often occurance when I try to quickly cancel a heavy into 8B. The occult laser can be nice when the stars align, although it's nothing too special. At least you can't lose occult balls if you get hit when using it.
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Doki-Doki

• Oki-Dokie!
  • Ooh, scary, scary!
Sukuna's is a great one for momentum, with her tiny hit box you can pretty much dash around as much as you want and get hits,  good way to pressure the opponent. Aside from that, Miko's, Mokou's and Kokoro's have been the most useful for me.

FearNagae

• Hisouten/soku Enthusiast
The only ones whose occults I haven't been using are Mamizou's, Ichirin's, Reimu's, Marisa's, Sukuna's, and Usami's.

The rest were very useful.

rg

Miko's occult is crucial to her game and Kasen's a great combo finished. Byakuren's is useful in pressure. Nitori's can shift the momentum in her favor easily and Kokoro's seems solid. Sumireko's non-Mystery Spot occult attack (the homing balls) also looks great, but it's highly risky because of the 2 ball loss on hit.

Futo's occasionally useful for finishing combos and spacing, I think. and I heard Koishi's supposedly very good. The rest feel borderline useless though.

Marisa's cycles through different attacks, but most of them have uses. Piano is good for combos, Portrait is good for locking down opponent's movements and can lock them in blockstun, and the other two are decent projectiles that can catch opponents off guard.

Sumireko's Mystery Spot occult attack is good for keeping opponents away from the occult ball, and stops it from moving for a second.

Ichirin's is decent for trapping an opponent.

Mokou's just straight up increases her damage, which is always a plus.

Shinmyoumaru's and Mamizou's are good for pressure.

The only occult attack that I would consider to be completely useless is Byakuren's. Way too much risk involved in using it, you're better off just holding on to your orbs until you can get a Last Word off.

Komeiji11

• The Gloomy Power of Love
How's progress on the English patch? I have a friend who I might have gotten interested in the world of Touhou through this game but that language is indeed a barrier and although I get the general gist of things its hard to explain things when we get together..

And could someone explain how online works? I'm not too techy so trying to get involved in that is a bit puzzling and overwhelming for me, especially in a language I'm still learning....

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
Don't expect any english patch until we know for certain that there will be no more big updates in the future usually. Otherwise these patches can screw up the english patches themselves.

Quwanti

• Pixel stuff
Unabara tweeted about a new blog post, which mentions an upcoming new version (v1.10).

Link

They're buffing Occult Attacks overall, tweaking power spot effects, and doing character balance. Nothing's set in stone yet, so he can't give a release date.

Berzul

• (*7(*7(*7(*7(*7
  • Round face... z( ⌣ω⌣)z
Well isn't this a soundtrack http://d-stage.com/shop/detail.php?seq=69019 ? One Kanji is different...

Quwanti

• Pixel stuff
That cover is amazing. More reason to get that soundtrack.

Tracklist found here:
http://www.tasofro.net/touhou145/cd.html

Obviously, U2 is arranging both ZUN-made themes.

Oooooh! Another music CD to add to the Touhou lineup. It's been awhile since anything grazed by ZUN has reached CD form. I hope ZUN releases something after Neo-traditionalism of Japan but this will do.

We have a wiki entry for the CD. Looks Promising!

http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Urban_Legend_in_Limbo_OST

Lets take a look at that cover art... Oh Sumireko is looking pretty awesome in that clubroom, hey wait whats that on the OH MY GOD IS THAT A GUN ON THE SCHOOL CHAIR TO HER LEFT? IS THAT IN THE GAME? WHY WOULD SHE HAVE THAT!?!?

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
hey wait whats that on the OH MY GOD IS THAT A GUN ON THE SCHOOL CHAIR TO HER LEFT? IS THAT IN THE GAME? WHY WOULD SHE HAVE THAT!?!?

Yes it is, it's one of her spell cards she can use.

Yes it is, it's one of her spell cards she can use.

...Huh... I never saw it in any of the playthroughs that I watched on Youtube of her.

(waiting patiently for english patch)

Gun Sign "3D Printer Gun"

1.10 came out.

have they gotten rid of the crap that prevents the game from running on normal people's computers yet

Leon゠Helsing

• 0 - The Fool
  • Pave your own path
Well, at the very least they seem to have stopped including env_check.

EDIT: Tried running it through AppLocale, and the answer to that is a resounding nope. Not even after patching it using the tool cuc shared.

EDIT2: So what is this new purple occult aura thingy?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 07:37:07 AM by Leon゠Helsing »

Can anyone say what new in 1.10 patch, please?

I'm sure there are folks parsing through the patch notes and spreading the info when they can. In the meantime, you can run the patch notes through google translate to get some rough idea if you can't wait.

Python

• Plains of Chi-u have no end.
  • They are boundless and last forever.
Oh goodness, there's a thread for discussing this game? Good, because I have some questions that I'd like to be cleared up. Starting with Occult Attacks. They're fancy and all, but it occurred to me that some just...don't do anything at all. Or so it seems.

For instance, Mamizou's. She throws a Pok?ball that looks like it's going to do something, but...it doesn't. It seems to deal damage when it hits an opponent while thrown but...nothing else happens. What's the deal with this?

Same goes for Kokoro's. She puts on a mask and...that's it. She doesn't do anything else, but I'm assuming I'm doing something wrong again.

Next one is Miko's. In practice play, I was able to determine the direction (color) I want to throw my enemy to, however I can't do this in Story Mode. Why? And also, is there a difference between choosing the red cape and the blue cape?

Then Shinmyoumaru's. She summons those green alien men who then proceed to just sit in place. Sometimes, they charge at the opponent, but I couldn't figure out how to forcefully move them.

Another thing is when I clear Reimu's second story mode on Normal (not sure about higher difficulties), I get the trophy and everything is fine. Until I close the game and reopen it. ULiL pretends like I never beat it. But it doesn't end there. I have a silver trophy on most scenarios on Normal. I can also get the golden one if I beat those scenarios without dying. But they reset to silver as if I never beat them after closing and reopening the game. Why?

If someone could answer these questions, I'd be very grateful, because...as great as ULiL is...I can't really make sense of it. :V
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 07:56:01 PM by Python »
Have a look at my truly scrumptious scripts!.

Doki-Doki

• Oki-Dokie!
  • Ooh, scary, scary!
Oh goodness, there's a thread for discussing this game? Good, because I have some questions that I'd like to be cleared up. Starting with Occult Attacks. They're fancy and all, but it occurred to me that some just...don't do anything at all. Or so it seems.

For instance, Mamizou's. She throws a Pok?ball that looks like it's going to do something, but...it doesn't. It seems to deal damage when it hits an opponent while thrown but...nothing else happens. What's the deal with this?

Same goes for Kokoro's. She puts on a mask and...that's it. She doesn't do anything else, but I'm assuming I'm doing something wrong again.

Next one is Miko's. In practice play, I was able to determine the direction (color) I want to throw my enemy to, however I can't do this in Story Mode. Why? And also, is there a difference between choosing the red cape and the blue cape?

Then Shinmyoumaru's. She summons those green alien men who then proceed to just sit in place. Sometimes, they charge at the opponent, but I couldn't figure out how to forcefully move them.

Another thing is when I clear Reimu's second story mode on Normal (not sure about higher difficulties), I get the trophy and everything is fine. Until I close the game and reopen it. ULiL pretends like I never beat it. But it doesn't end there. I have a silver trophy on most scenarios on Normal. I can also get the golden one if I beat those scenarios without dying. But they reset to silver as if I never beat them after closing and reopening the game. Why?

If someone could answer these questions, I'd be very grateful, because...as great as ULiL is...I can't really make sense of it. :V
For Mamizou's occult ability, when you throw the ball, press Z+X+left or right again and the ball should open. Kokoro's stand-still occult ability is a counter, if someone attacks you whilst she's doing the pose she counters back. For Miko, iirc the red cape gives you a physical damage buff and the blue cape gives you a danmaku damage buff, on every mode except practice it's the caught player that chooses which cape you have. For Shinmyoumaru's occult ability you're supposed to go behind the opposing player for the green men to attack them. Dunno about the story mode thing though.

1.10 came out.

have they gotten rid of the crap that prevents the game from running on normal people's computers yet

There WAS a fix for that. Unfortunately, I tried opening the game after updating, and it wouldn't open. Then I tried to perform the same fix as last time to find that the game's code is apparently different. Sadly, I have no idea what to do this go around.

FearNagae

• Hisouten/soku Enthusiast
Does anyone have a solution for th145.exe / th145-patch.exe not working :( ?

Patorikku

• Weird country-bumpkin city-boy hybrid
  • (ง ?̀_?́)ง
Does anyone have a solution for th145.exe / th145-patch.exe not working :( ?
Would you perchance have th145.exe in a folder with several Japanese characters? Try renaming the folder and exempting any of those letters. I know it sounds silly, but apparently plenty of people fixed their game with it on Windows 8 and such. I guess more recent versions of Windows just freak out when foreign characters are in the path name.

Oh look, I got an image in my signature. Finally.
Click here for Tumblr nonsense.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
Patorikku:The thing is, this is with people whose games worked before 1.10, and the game is known to have a stupid reason for not starting related to where nvidia gfx drivers are located. (As in, the game runs a DRM-related check that has nothing to do with actual game pirating and decides it doesn't feel like loading for arbitrary reasons.)

In other news, key Sumireko combo for v1.10; 8A -> Occult Attack -> Jump Up -> 3D Printer Gun. You need at least 3 occult balls for this to be fast enough, but just sliding up under your opponent and casting 8A tends to catch people unsure of which side to block, so it's not hard to confirm hits, and at max spell power... this does 5.6k~ damage. Combos into printer gun otherwise need to start on ground level and only deal like 4k damage AFAIK, so that's a really important combo even if it requires 3 balls.

...except I just glanced at the wiki and it turns out since the last time I looked, someone put up a 3D Printer Gun combo starting with 8A that doesn't even need the occult. ;_; At least this one has about 600 more damage...? Dang. Welllll that's good to know. But yeah, 1.10 has a lot of tweaks that make many character's combo potential a bit different.

edit:Sumireko in general can slide her occult into a few combos, some even at any ball count, to eke out some more damage than you could get otherwise. It seems more damage efficient than her other moves.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 01:08:14 PM by Selery »
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Leon゠Helsing

• 0 - The Fool
  • Pave your own path
Either way, the tool cuc shared that removed these checks needs updating, it seems. Where is cuc, anyway?

yeah i refuse to deal with tasofro if they're going to do this crap. not worth encouraging them even by patching it out manually, this is 100% not okay.

apparently they've confirmed the game is blowing up on vista and they apparently didn't test this. good shit guys.

Leon゠Helsing

• 0 - The Fool
  • Pave your own path
By the way, any of you guys figured out yet just what the heck 深秘的 might mean on the OST album? :V