Author Topic: Disney buys Lucasfilm, Star Wars Episode 7 slated for 2015  (Read 33324 times)

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
Re: Disney buys Lucasfilm, Star Wars Episode 7 slated for 2015
« Reply #60 on: November 02, 2012, 02:28:59 AM »
God damn George Lucas for doing something that makes me not hate him.

Don't worry, I'm sure that Objectivism will be a core part of the curriculum, yes even though he said collective future.

I am cynical when rich people get involved with education until proven otherwise =[

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2012, 03:00:14 AM »
Don't worry, I'm sure that Objectivism will be a core part of the curriculum, yes even though he said collective future.

I am cynical when rich people get involved with education until proven otherwise =[

Oh, don't take cheap shots already. (Also, while Ayn Rand was a very strange woman with some dubious opinions, everybody is accusing her of shit her particularly dumbest fans propagated more than she ever did.)

Anyway, it's not the first time he's donated to places:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Lucas#Philanthropy

JT

« Reply #62 on: November 02, 2012, 03:58:44 AM »
George Lucas Will Use Disney $4 Billion to Fund Education
That's great news.

The prequels still suck, though. (Issues That Matter?)

Ayn Rand was a very strange woman with some dubious opinions
That's putting it lightly. Did you know she was one of those weird girls who worship serial killers? This definitely seems like someone we should have informing our political discourse and ideas about morality.

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #63 on: November 02, 2012, 04:26:51 AM »
That's great news.

The prequels still suck, though. (Issues That Matter?)
That's putting it lightly. Did you know she was one of those weird girls who worship serial killers? This definitely seems like someone we should have informing our political discourse and ideas about morality.

Yes, yes, I know, but all I'm saying is that the liberal left turning her into a punching bag for the more irrelevant reasons (misconceptions about her politics) and misquoting her when she was a screwed-up woman in plenty of other ways bothers me, mainly because said behavior sacrifices the accuracy of the argument for the sake of wanting something to hate. I don't like her either but damn me if I'm not going to have some scholastic integrity in my criticism.

That much said, Paul Ryan is still an idiot who couldn't even be arsed to remember that Rand was an atheist.

Anyway. Disney. If we get Darth Vader fighting Sephiroth, I'm not sure if I'll consider it an improvement but it'll at least be entertainingly insane.

JT

« Reply #64 on: November 02, 2012, 04:32:37 AM »
more irrelevant reasons (misconceptions about her politics)
Well, like what, exactly?

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #65 on: November 02, 2012, 04:46:15 AM »
Well, like what, exactly?

She believed that people should determine their own fates, and she was also an atheist.

Yes, she was a weird and fucked-up woman in some ways but the left strawmanning her annoys me in various ways mainly because it comes across as the liberal left going all WIN WIN WIN TWO-MINUTES HATE TIME WHO CARES WHAT THE TRUTH IS WE HAVE TO WIN which is a bit contrary to their/our self-image as the voice of reason and enlightenment.

I find her interesting. I do not find her particularly accurate or even likable, but I find her interesting.

Just saying, two wrongs don't make a right. And for the record I'm voting Democrat, in case you're wondering.

If I'm making an assumption about anyone here...Please let me know.

JT

« Reply #66 on: November 02, 2012, 05:01:16 AM »
No, I mean, what specifically do you mean by irrelevant reasons/misconceptions about her politics? Could you give me some examples?

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #67 on: November 02, 2012, 05:03:53 AM »
Basically saying that she's Republican-ism incarnate when there's some differences like what I mentioned above such as the atheism.

That's...It, mainly, from me. She was a more complex case than that.

EDIT: At any rate Republicans quoting Rand doesn't bother me half as much as, say, Reddit libertarians with dubiously flexible conceptions of what constitutes free speech quoting Ayn Rand.

EDITDEUX: It appears I will have to do some serious research about Rand to understand Who She Fucking Worked With and What Her Fucking Deal was. How fascinating and yet how bothersome.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 05:20:13 AM by Stealthy Shooty STALKER »

JT

« Reply #68 on: November 02, 2012, 05:30:48 AM »
Baka Ayn Rand! I-it's not like I like her, or anything!
Please tell us more. :justasplanned:

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #69 on: November 02, 2012, 05:40:55 AM »
Please tell us more. :justasplanned:

Oh, fuck off if you're going to play like that (and also please shove your emote somewhere when I'm trying to be serious). That's exactly the shit I'm talking about, your/my left-wingers acting all WITTY and then patting themselves on the back about it because you're SO PROUD that you're SO MUCH SMARTER than those dumb hicks.

Look. I'm voting Democrat. I'm playing Devil's Advocate here only because I'm plenty familiar with what happens when people push onward without applying a healthy amount of self-scrutiny.

I'm SAYING that I'm finding a lot of conflicting information about her and that if I'm going to dislike her it's going to be for clear reasons and not because a liberal pundit told me to do so.

Rest assured I have plenty of reasons already---her failure to see any value in altruism disgusts me---but I'd like to be thorough. My main complaint is how intellectually dishonest the left can be about the whole matter.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 05:47:43 AM by Stealthy Shooty STALKER »

JT

« Reply #70 on: November 02, 2012, 05:59:43 AM »
Oh, fuck off if you're going to play like that (and also please shove your emote somewhere when I'm trying to be serious).

:justasplanned:                  :justasplanned:                                          :justasplanned:          :justasplanned:                      :justasplanned::justasplanned::justasplanned:                     :justasplanned::justasplanned::justasplanned:
:justasplanned:                  :justasplanned:                                      :justasplanned::justasplanned::justasplanned:                 :justasplanned:  :justasplanned:  :justasplanned:                     :justasplanned:                       :justasplanned:
:justasplanned::justasplanned::justasplanned:                                     :justasplanned:                   :justasplanned:              :justasplanned:                           :justasplanned:                 :justasplanned::justasplanned::justasplanned:

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #71 on: November 02, 2012, 06:01:58 AM »
Actually, nevermind.

JT

« Reply #72 on: November 02, 2012, 06:22:07 AM »
Hey man, don't get mad at me just because you want to put it in Ayn Rand's sweet free market cherry buns. I'm just asking for some examples of your dumb and indefensible claim of misconceptions.

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #73 on: November 02, 2012, 06:31:29 AM »
I already told you what I know and said that I have some things I need to look up and confirm for myself. I'm just saying that the American left keeps labelling her as a Republican icon when she was merely co-opted by the Republicans. She didn't put much stock in labels like "conservative" and "libertarian".

Now would you rather get back to Disney, or would you like to continue being a sarcastic, meme-spouting, emoticon-abusing, phrase-twisting, self-absorbed clod who doesn't seem to have a single academic bone in their body and cites blogs instead of formal research?

It is not your opinion I find fault with. I find little to agree with Rand about and don't think she's changed the world for the better. It is your uncouth lack of formality and due procedure, or rather your apparent inability to even UNDERSTAND those concepts.

Short version: Ayn Rand was a dumbass, but you're prescribing dumbassitude to her that wasn't her doing, and so are a bunch of others like you. And even if she was a dumbass the truth of the matter should be kept straight for the sake of the history books. Do I make myself clear as fucking crystal?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 06:39:10 AM by Stealthy Shooty STALKER »

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #74 on: November 02, 2012, 06:57:02 AM »
Meanwhile a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #75 on: November 02, 2012, 07:03:24 AM »
Yes. Anyway.

I just wanna say Rafiki hanging out with Yoda would be pretty boss IMO.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 07:05:21 AM by Stealthy Shooty STALKER »

JT

« Reply #76 on: November 02, 2012, 07:23:25 AM »
You cited a blog instead of "formal research," so I'm going to respond by backing up my own claims with absolutely nothing!
Yes! Keep flailing! It's like vitamins to me!

PS: Here's her journals
Here's another article with direct quotes and page numbers

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #77 on: November 02, 2012, 07:44:45 AM »
I like how you insist on trolling me even when I said that I do agree with you regarding the big picture of things.

That much said, in all seriousness thank you for the links. That was very kind of you to do even if you continue to miss my fucking point repeatedly and just spout off like a broken record.

You're fundamentally on the right side but you're ignorant and have an abrasive personality. Your contribution to the liberal cause is appreciated but I sure as Hell am not electing you for president.

JT

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #79 on: November 02, 2012, 07:55:19 AM »
This is boring now. Let's drop it.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 08:03:04 AM by Stealthy Shooty STALKER »

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Hopeless Masquerade (TH13.5) - Discussion
« Reply #80 on: November 02, 2012, 08:40:44 AM »
Alliterator, do keep in mind that you barged into this thread contending that the Big Bad Liberal Left touts a lot of "misconceptions" about Ayn Rand. When pressed for actual evidence for this, you just repeated this baseless assertion with different words, and then got progressively (if you'll excuse the pun) angrier about it when challenged and mildly teased.

Maybe, in the future, you should respond to honest questions for evidence behind political assertions with, you know, actual evidence. I also realize it takes two or more to derail a thread, but this is kinda becoming A Thing with you, and it'd be great if you could resist that urge. Just sayin'.

Disclaimer edit: I say all this as a fellow user and not an SJ. Just mho.

Meanwhile a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...

Disney has said they're going to do a new movie every couple years. I am now wondering just how many of the Star Wars authors are going to be hired onto Team Disney, or if there's already enough material for at least ten more films. Maybe someone who's read the books can shed some light on this.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 11:07:03 AM by Tengukami »

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

JT

« Reply #81 on: November 02, 2012, 08:55:06 AM »
This is boring now. Let's drop it.
Fine by me. You are aware that I understand your point perfectly, right? I just refused to directly acknowledge it because of how dumb it was. "HOW DARE THOSE SMUG LIBERALS SPEAK ILL OF MAI WAIFU AYN-CHAN! THEY DON'T DO RESEARCH LIKE ME! THE GREAT AND SCHOLARLY ALLITERATOR! I, WHO CAN'T DO A SIMPLE GOOGLE SEARCH TO VERIFY THIS BLOG POST!" Hurr durr.

At least you were able to nut up and admit you were wrong about something when presented with proof. That's more than can be said for most people with political opinions.

at least ten more films

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #82 on: November 02, 2012, 09:03:48 AM »
Fine.

Christ, I hate how absolutely nothing in my life is straightforward and even ostensible friends have trouble understanding me.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 09:12:44 AM by Stealthy Shooty STALKER »

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #83 on: November 02, 2012, 09:09:33 AM »
The thread was enjoyable until you came in to respond to Purvis with something way off topic. Stop posting unless you're a liar about dropping the subject.

Disney has said they're going to do a new movie every couple years. I am now wondering just how many of the Star Wars authors are going to be hired onto Team Disney, or if there's already enough material for at least ten more films. Maybe someone who's read the books can shed some light on this.

A few of the authors of Star Wars books write for the general fantasy genre. Getting on Team Disney for writing might be a bit too much of a career lockdown for them as I'd imagine.

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #84 on: November 02, 2012, 12:52:58 PM »
Well look at that, Cracked just propped up an article about how the sequel of ep7 will likely suck no matter which way they twist it.

I must agree, it does look (if by this Cracked has already done all the novels games etc and have effectively spoiled the remaining franchise for me) this would be an example of Chuunibyou writing after episode 6 because it sure does.
Guy dies, gets cloned, he dies too, his son who was good turns evil becomes good again and subsequently failed in his duty and the universe resets itself wtf/

I say it should just drop ep 7 as an idea and use the Force Unleashed as movie material and straight out make a solo movie with references to 1 - 6 for good measure. Might as well give someone like... say I dunno, Ice Cube a Jedi role while at it so we can Triple muthafucking X the whole movie. Better yet, Vin Diesel as the Sith. Because face it, who doesn't want a Sith that is Riddick.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 12:54:44 PM by ♛ Siri »
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #85 on: November 02, 2012, 12:58:21 PM »
A few of the authors of Star Wars books write for the general fantasy genre. Getting on Team Disney for writing might be a bit too much of a career lockdown for them as I'd imagine.
And yet the thought of Michael A. Stackpole being taken on to get a film out fills me with not-inconsiderable glee!

Though they'd need someone to go through and rewrite the end of virtually every scene.  I like Stackpole - some of his books are particularly fantastic and the old X-Wing novels were great - but the guy has a habit of ending nearly every single chapter with incredibly OMINOUS AND PORTENTOUS STATEMENTS.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #86 on: November 02, 2012, 03:21:10 PM »
I say it should just drop ep 7 as an idea and use the Force Unleashed as movie material

Any mentions of Starkillah as movie material from this point on shall be met with probations. >=|

And yeah, like I said, the best result would be getting Timothy Zahn to take the whole thing over.  Michael A. Stackpole would be a good second. A good wingman, you might say.

Also, yeah, I really hope the whole cloen Emperor thing isn't the actual episode 7. That would be disappointing, I'd rather it just be quietly dropped entirely =|

Joveus Molai

• Bear the Word, and the Word will bear you.
« Reply #87 on: November 02, 2012, 03:43:38 PM »
If they absolutely must make an Episode 7, then I'm hoping that they don't adapt the Thrawn trilogy at all, or almost any of the currently existing EU material.

Don't get me wrong; I thought the Thrawn Trilogy was very well written. However, I feel that Episodes 4-6 had more in common with, say, the Lord Of The Rings than with Mass Effect, Aasimov's works, or even Star Trek, and even what I consider to be the best of the EU works (KOTOR II, Thrawn Trilogy, etc.) never really captured that "epic fantasy with sci-fi trappings" feel that I got from the original trilogy. Because of that, I'm hoping the next trilogy will be more a return to form, back to what I think is Star Wars' true roots, rather than a space opera in the style of current EU stuff.

I doubt very much that that will happen, though. Epic fantasy isn't very popular nowadays. :qq:

STAR WARS ISN'T ABOUT SPECTACLE!

Don't tell that to the person who's making Episodes 1-3! You'll make him sad---oh.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 03:46:54 PM by Joveus Molai »

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #88 on: November 02, 2012, 05:53:15 PM »
Star Wars, to my understanding, has always been space opera, and is pretty much the reason why there is a modern space opera thing at all.

What's the difference, in your mind?

Joveus Molai

• Bear the Word, and the Word will bear you.
« Reply #89 on: November 03, 2012, 12:28:47 AM »
For me, Star Wars draws elements from both the Space Opera genre and the High Fantasy genre (and High Fantasy is what I meant to say when I said "epic fantasy" in my previous post). So that we're on the same page, let me define Space Opera and High Fantasy as I understand them:

Space Opera = a fictional work set in a setting that appears futuristic from our (the reader, the audience, etc.) point of view--so Star Wars, despite having taken place a long, long time ago, would still qualify because they have spaceships and lasers and whatnot--and focuses on exaggerated, romantic/melodramatic events and characters. If an event happens, then the nature of that event will lean towards being epic in scope, or otherwise designed to evoke strong emotions from the audience, even if the conditions for that event to unfold and/or how the event itself unfolds isn't terribly realistic.

Star Wars fits under this category in several ways. Instead of focusing on mundane things like minor guerilla attacks on Imperial supply depots, you have big, XBOXHUEG battles like the Battle of Yavin (against a space station the size of a small moon armed with a laser so powerful it can blow up whole planets) or the Battle of Hoth (where the rebels have to fight colossal walking tanks the size of buildings) or the Battle of Endor (Space Station the Size of a Moon 2: Electric Boogaloo). Instead of Han and Leia going through realistic angst in their relationship ("I told you to leave the toilet seat down after you use it, you scruffy nerf herder!"), their relationship is more about getting together in the midst of dashing rescues and a galactic struggle, culminating with Leia declaring her love in a moment of anguish to the man she thinks she very well may never see again.  So you've got big, epic, romantic events designed to draw out strong emotions in the audience rather than giving them an intellectual or philosophical puzzle.

On the other hand, High Fantasy = a fictional work placed in a setting that is not our own,  where the sequence and cause of events leans more towards "fantastic" than realistic, and there is usually both a clear line between good and evil and there is a struggle between them. The safety of the world is frequently at stake, and not only is there often magic and/or the supernatural, but they also work in a certain way. Prophecies, fate, and destiny aren't just words that people throw around, but are real things that profoundly influence the world.

Here is what I mean by the sequence and cause of events leaning more towards fantastic than realistic:

Let's say that you have a person who is skilled in combat and leads a group of people against another group of people who are perceived as being vile and evil. The (supposed) evildoers are driven off, and the leader of the first group of people takes the crown. In very loose terms, I have described both the end of the Lord of the Rings (Aragorn helps defeat Sauron and is crowned King of Gondor afterwards) and the backstory to the Game of Thrones series (Robert Baratheon leads a rebellion against the evil Aerys Targaryen II, and is crowned king of the Seven Kingdoms afterwards).

In LOTR, things play out in a more fantastic manner: Aragorn is the rightful king because he's the last descendant of a dynasty that apparently had died out almost a 1000 years ago (the last King of Gondor was Earnur, who died in 2050 Third Age: Aragorn took up the crown in 3019 Third Age), he's got the fancy Ring of Barahir to prove it, and no one objects. He takes up the crown, and despite having lived most of his life as a ranger and a swordsman rather than a politician, his long reign is said to have been quite good.

In the Game of Thrones, things play out in a more realistic manner: Robert is the rightful king because he's seen as being the face of the rebellion, despite him being mostly just charismatic and really good at killing people. Once he becomes king, while he doesn't go around committing atrocities the way Aerys Targaryen II did he isn't a very good ruler either. He even admits it--he would much, much rather have spent the rest of his days as a mercenary, killing and eating and whoring instead of having to deal with schemers and backstabbers wearing smiles. By the time the first book of the series rolls around, IIRC Robert's put his kingdom into debt with all his partying, and is simply not all that great of a ruler. Can't blame him--again, he became king not because he was a skilled politician and statesman, but because he happened to be the leader of a rebellion that happened to succeed.

Now let's switch things around; let's take LOTR's and GOT's premises and play their sequences out realistically and fantastically, respectively:

In LOTR, Aragorn maybe tries to take up the crown, but the guy's spent most of his life as a ranger living out in the wilderness and tracking stuff. He doesn't have any political acumen, he doesn't know how an economy works, he's not a diplomat; he's just unfit to be a politician. If things play out more optimistically, then perhaps he does take the throne, but it's up to his good Steward Faramir to do the political heavy lifting while Aragorn sits there looking wise and regal. If things play out more cynically, then perhaps the leaders of Gondor (and maybe even the leaders of Rohan, since they've got a bunch of horsemen right there at the broken-down gates of Minas Tirith...) decide to give the crown to Faramir, while Aragorn gets a nice retirement package with a noble title and a chunk of good land. If things play out badly, then maybe the Men of Gondor and Rohan outright reject being ruled by a mere ranger from the north, and quickly fall into fighting each other now that the elves are gone, the dwarves are reclusive, and Sauron is no more.

In GOT, Robert's rebellion is a resounding success, and it turns out that he's actually a very good king. He used to like wine, woman, and war more than running a country, but perhaps over the course of the rebellion he learned to put those things aside and become the King He Was Destined To Be. Maybe he even discovers that Aerys Targaryen was a usurper, and that Robert's lineage was supposed to have been kings all along. So he defeats the evil Targaryens, takes up the crown, and ushers in a new golden age for Westeros. No muss, no fuss, no web of intrigue that leads to his untimely death.

-----

So how does Star Wars fall into the genre of High Fantasy?

You've got magic in the form of the Force, and unlike magic in, say, Fate/Stay Night where it's governed by a system of rules, it just...kind of happens. The Force in the original trilogy is less a special form of energy that special people can manipulate to do whatever they like, and is more a way to give certain fated characters a more mystical and otherwordly quality. True, Luke does have to undergo a training regimen to learn how to use the Force better, but the process is more meditative, akin to achieving a sort of enlightenment, than like learning a set of rules and then figuring out how to use them to your advantage as an engineer or a scientist would. When the Emperor shoots lightning at Luke, it's less that the Emperor has figured out a way to move electrons in a certain way with his mind to shock people to death, and more that his mastery over the supernatural is so great that he can do cool stuff like shoot lightning out of his fingertips. Using the Force in Star Wars felt more like Gandalf emitting light out of his staff to drive away the Nazgul, rather than Emiya Shirou figuring out how to channel Prana through his Magic Circuits to cast Reinforcement on a rolled up poster.

You've got a clear line between good and evil. Rebellion vs the Empire: boom, you're done. Not a whole lot of room from grays--you're either a good guy fighting for the noble Rebellion or a bad guy fighting for the evil Empire. It's not like the Rebellion in the original trilogy is riven with internal strife, or secretly does evil things behind the heroes' backs, or whatever, nor is the Empire portrayed as being misguided or with good intentions: it's simply Rebellion = Good, Empire = Bad. Compare to the Lord of the Rings, where you have the Free Peoples of Middle Earth (Gondor, Rohan, the Ents, the Elves, etc.) vs Sauron and his minions (orcs, Saruman, Easterlings, Haradrim, etc.). You've got a bad egg or two on the good guy's side (thanks, Grima! And stop being a jerk, Denethor), but aside from that there's a very very clear line between good and evil.

You've got prophecies, fate, and destiny. No, not "bring balance to the Force", that's prequel trilogy nonsense. I mean the whole "last of the Jedi" bit. In a more realistic setting, being the Last of X largely just means that X is on the verge of extinction. You're the last speaker of an incredibly obscure language? Well, if you can record it or spread its use again to revive it then that's all well and good, but being the last speaker of, say, Nahuatl (the language of the Aztecs) doesn't give you any special powers. However, Luke being the Last of the Jedi, the last of a mystic order of knights from a lost age, IS of narrative importance--it's all up to him now, he's the last champion of good capable of facing up against the darkest of powers. Likewise in the Lord of the Rings, why is it that only Aragorn can wield the Sword of Elendil? Because he's the last of Isildur's dynasty, and only they can wield the sword.

You've got a threat to the safety of the world. Death Stars, anyone? Not to mention, it's implied that living under the Empire sucks--I believe in Episode 4 Grand Moff Tarkin explicitly says "rule through fear", and there's a scene near the beginning where either Darth Vader or Tarkin mentions that the Senate just got dissolved.

Finally, you've got the sequence of events unfolding in fantastic than realistic ways. The attack on the Death Star in Episode 4: if things played out more realistically, it was more likely that Red Leader would have scored the kill shot on the Death Star than Luke, or if Luke did get the kill shot on the Death Star it would have been out of sheer, one-in-a-million lucky shot that he managed to pull off because his enemies underestimated him. Instead, Luke blows up the Death Star because he's the hero, he's the fated one, he's the special guy with a connection to the mystical power called the Force. Alternatively, the Battle of Endor, where it's the smaller elements of the Rebel Fleet flying into the incomplete Death Star to blow it up. Why is it the Millennium Falcon that pulls it off? It's a big, fat ship that's not terribly suited for the dangerously cramped quarters of the Death Star superstructure--the movie even lampshades it when Lando accidentally scrapes the radar dish off the top of the Falcon. Yet, despite being in the biggest, fattest ship of them all--hell, according to supplemental sources the Falcon's a goddamn light freighter, they brought a freaking cargo plane to a place where jet fighters are feeling cramped--it's Lando (and Wedge) who blow up the Death Star and get out of there. Why? Because it's the Millennium F**king Falcon and don't you forget that damn it! All the other rebels? Redshirts, the lot of them. (Except Wedge, dude didn't get shot down at Yavin AND he  blew up an AT AT.) Likewise in LOTR, most of the plot is built around getting a ring to a specific place in order to destroy it, causing a group of heroes to go on an epic journey to get there and pull it off. But why does it have to be in the fires of Mt. Doom? Because, well...that's how it's gotta be. Elrond said it, and I think Gandalf said it, that's just how the ring works--you can't destroy it unless you bring it to the fires of Mt. Doom. You could argue that they just needed temperatures as hot as the fires of Mt. Doom, but note that they say you need the fires of Mt. Doom specifically, not just 'fires as hot as those on Mt. Doom'. Combined with the fact that that's where the ring was made in the first place and you can see the necessity of the ring being brought to Mt. Doom specifically being quite symbolic, and through that more fantastic than realistic since real life rarely lends itself to such poetic coincidences.

-----

So that's how think Star Wars fits under both the categories of Space Opera AND High Fantasy. It's been a while since I read the Thrawn trilogy, but IIRC while they were certainly Space Opera (going on an adventure to find a long-lost fleet of ships that are remotely controlled by one specific ship in the fleet, and it's named after a type of ancient Japanese sword? Sounds like Space Opera to me), and very well written Space Opera, they weren't very High Fantasy. The Empire under Thrawn wasn't the same Eeeeevil Empire that it was under Palpatine, nor was Thrawn the sort of evil overlord that Palpatine was; the guy was pleasant enough that few would mind sitting down for a nice cup of tea with him, even if he did plot the destruction of the Rebel Alliance. The Force became less mystical when it was discovered that a
Spoiler:
bunch of random non-sentient space lizards could nullify it.
And so forth. I don't recall the Thrawn Trilogy and every other EU material I've ever encountered capturing that same High Fantasy feel that the original Star Wars trilogy did, and I both miss it and lament the fact that no one else misses it,, thereby leaving no chance for Episode 7 to mix Space Opera and High Fantasy the way Star Wars did.

Tl;dr: WHY CAN'T STAR WARS BE JUST THE WAY I LIKE IT :qq:
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 12:36:45 PM by Joveus Molai »