Author Topic: Games You're Playing Right Now III: Return Of The Protagonist  (Read 221424 times)

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
Re: Games You're Playing Right Now III: Return Of The Protagonist
« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2011, 06:01:25 AM »
Yep, sure playing that Persona 3 FES now. After the rather sparce beginning, things are really picking up now that the game has opened up. =D I must ask though: Why am I playing as Shouma from Mawaru Penguindrum? BV
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
« Reply #61 on: October 23, 2011, 06:33:02 AM »
Yep, sure playing that Persona 3 FES now. After the rather sparce beginning, things are really picking up now that the game has opened up. =D I must ask though: Why am I playing as Shouma from Mawaru Penguindrum? BV

I hate this about the game :<
It takes so freaking long to get started.
And I got do it twice because I wasn't manly enough for Hard Mode. Arqa was too hard and Thebel didn't give more than 3 EXP :(

Formless God

« Reply #62 on: October 23, 2011, 11:24:59 AM »
Gave PSP2 another couple hours and now I'm wondering why the game
- uses shitty angsty and edgy one-liners all over the place
- likes to plug the word 'cute' in nearly every item descriptions (gives me chills whenever I imagine which target audience the game's trying to appeal to)
- made the intro song into a fucking screamer for the Games tab preview

Well I guess I'll be checking out Tales of the
Spoiler:
Moon
3 next.

Mr. Sacchi

• All shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.
  • Not postponed. Not in the end. Not for long.
« Reply #63 on: October 23, 2011, 11:02:02 PM »
Went to buy BlazBlue Continuum Shift, store was closed, since I'm there I go to improvise into another, "Mega Store", end up getting Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

I have very high expectations from this game.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2011, 11:04:49 PM »
I've heard good things about it, so you should be relatively pleased.
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #65 on: October 24, 2011, 02:40:14 AM »
Meanwhile, "Don't set your expectations too high" is my advice about it.

Nearing the end of Sequence and still going.  So much fun and it's been awesome fun chatting with the developpers, since they've been on the steam forums constantly taking suggestions and bug reports and stuff from the players.

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
« Reply #66 on: October 24, 2011, 12:57:51 PM »
Professor Layton and the Last Specter
Playing this now as well and man, it's good as usual <3

Also, I'm not sure if this is intentional or unintentional:
Spoiler:
At one point Otaki says "He's having tea with the specter and a witch in the Golden Garden." Sure, that's all three in the game. but still, sound like Umineko anyone?
  :getdown:

Ionasal kkll Solciel

• Girl from beyond the 7th Dimension
« Reply #67 on: October 25, 2011, 04:03:42 AM »
It's kind of odd. The only card player that can match the minimally modified deck in [the Pokemon TCG GBC game] is the dude in the Mason Laboratory who gives you 10 Energy Cards if you win against him. So far, he's the only player I've fought against with this deck that I've lost to twice in a row. Not even the Grand Masters and the Club Leaders can say the same.
Let's Play: BIT.TRIP FLUX | Let's Play: Malicious | Skyward Sword: Shieldless Final Boss | Skyward Sword: Boss Rush! | Ace Combat Infinity: Campaign in the X-02 Wyvern

Move eternally forward,
So that we may always be at your side.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #68 on: October 25, 2011, 05:06:02 AM »
I'd say that he probably just got hella lucky then.
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #69 on: October 28, 2011, 07:21:20 AM »
I've talked about this in IRC already, but I'll talk about it here.

On this day, I have no-damaged The Womb in The Binding of Issac, using ???, and some pretty crappy firepower. Seriously, the battle against It Lives (the upgraded version of Mom's Heart), took about 25 minutes. XD

For those who don't know, Mom's Heart "attacks" by summoning enemies for you to fight. It starts out with two Eyeball enemies, which act like the Beamos from Link's Awakening: they shoot laser beams at you and they are a PAIN to get past safely much of the time. Thankfully, I had the Book of Shadows, which makes the player invincible for a few seconds, so I used that time to kill the robots. The boss will disappear until the enemies are dead, at which it appears again for a few seconds so you can shoot it. Mom's Heart isn't too bad, she summons some (relatively) easy foes, sometimes more Eyes, which can be killed by constantly circling the room while shooting. When Mom's Heart gets about 30% health, she stays onscreen and summons some (weak) enemies while tossing bombs at you. Easy enough, right?

It Lives on the other hand...It not only summons the enemies Mom's Heart does, it also summons Knights (annoying enemies that can only be shot in the back, and turn around frequently, and it summons BOSS ENEMIES. Yes. A BOSS THAT SUMMONS OTHER BOSSES. They're not too hard though, just low-tier stuff like Monstro (an ugly blob that bounces around and tries to land on you), Larry Jr. (snakes that slither around randomly and, er...poop), Duke of Flies (floats around like a moron and spawns flies to attack you), and Chub (a giant grub that charges at you and lays smaller grubs). I think there are others it can summon, but those are the ones I ran into. It should be noted that there's only one boss meter on the screen at any given time, so you can't see if a spawned boss is close to death or not.

Getting through The Womb was one thing (though having the Treasure Map and Compass, along with the Invincibility-granting Book of Shadows made it leagues easier). Getting past It Lives was something else.

After trudging through The Womb, I saw the boss door. I hadn't taken any damage. My Book of Shadows was ready. I was gonna take on this boss and get Mama's Boy, or get hit trying. I stepped through the door, and the battle was on. I immediately activated the book and killed the two eyes before they shot me, then started shooting the boss. Now, keep in mind that my firepower was pretty poor (or It Lives had a lot more HP than I expected), I was doing like one or two pixels worth of damage per shot. ??? has a starting shot power of two notches, and I had it at four when I got here, when I usually have it much higher. The firing rate was decent enough (four notches). I also had slowing shots too, but that didn't matter much on the actual boss since it doesn't move or attack much.

The main threat were the enemies. I had a few close calls with Knights closing in on me at times, enemies spewing projectiles in my direction, Chubs and other stuff charging at me and acting like utter spazzes (like those Larry Jrs)...I don't care if you don't consider The Binding of Issac a danmaku game, there's just as much careful dodging, twitch movements and timing involved as any Touhou, Cave, or other shmup involved. It was a pretty excruciating and panicky 25 minutes of gameplay. I didn't expect the boss to take so long to kill, it doesn't take more than ten minutes (or something around that) using any other character...But keep in mind that I'm using ???, and doesn't have the Lucky Foot to help him out.

75% health...Then 50%...As the boss got closer to about 30% health, I got excited and nervous. Last time I got this far in The Womb without taking damage, I got hit by a bomb (that I didn't see running) and that ended that run. I was pretty bummed at that moment, and it kind of turned me off from Issac for a while, but I eventually picked it back up and started playing again, hoping to get that achievement...Needless to say, lots of lost runs there (even an amusing one where I died to a Blood Donation Machine of all things XD), and I was on the verge of just saying "screw achievements, they're not worth the effort anyways" and just trying to collect the remaining items. But once I unlocked ??? and started playing as him, I felt an urge to keep going and collect that d6. I died a couple times (one was due to bad luck, one was intentional because I had to leave), but this run...I felt compelled to try. I failed at No Damaging the Depths (which I firmly believe is harder than The Womb to No Damage due to some spastic enemies), but I had the Book of Shadows, so I still had a chance.

Who knew that chance would turn into THE run that I No Damaged The Womb? The bombs I saw coming clearly this time (it's a lot safer to stick to the sides than the top or bottom to dodge them), and the enemies were a threat (those firefly enemies that explode into bullets when shot, and the bee-looking enemies that shoot directly at you, among others), but careful and quick dodging saw me through. When the battle was over and Mom shouted out the muffled cry of Issac's name, the end-game treasure chest appeared in the blast-scarred, gib-covered boss room. I never took a single hit, and all I had to do was leave the room and come back to confirm it.

"Issac now holds the d6!" followed by "You got the Mama's Boy Achievement! Holy Crap!" I let out a satisfying cry of victory at that. I had done it, after what seemed like weeks of running into brick walls made of annoying enemies! My achievement wasn't recorded right away on Steam though, but I didn't care. That achievement was firmly under my metaphorical belt, and a simple fix to my game files made it (and seven other achievements) appear on my profile.

October 27th, 2011, 10 PM PST (approximately) will be the date that I will never forget, so long as I still have a working brain. I may not get such achievements in other games, but this was one that I am actually proud of, and worthwhile to get.

Mr. Sacchi

• All shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.
  • Not postponed. Not in the end. Not for long.
« Reply #70 on: October 28, 2011, 10:53:33 PM »
I finished Prototype on Normal not 10 minutes ago.

Now that my computer can actually handle Prototype, the game is actually fun, it's intense, it's frustrating, but it's fun. I only have a few complains about this game.

1- This game is extremely fast-paced, hence, precise movement is hard, which really screws you over when you gotta do a very tightly-timed mission *Glares at Hard Millitary Consume Events.* This can lead to Alex doing extremely stupid stuff and making you rage.

2- The Blade is the most OVERPOWERED THING EVER, same for the Armor. I never once used a power BESIDES the Blade once I got it, mind you, that happens at around mission 14/31, so yeah, for half of the game you have the most Overpowered weapon and Defense of the game, I never once found a use for the Shield, I always found a use for the Armor.

The Blade is so freaking overpowered that it goes BEYOND the Hammerfist, I was killing Tanks with a single full-charged Air Slice from the Blade, while it took me 5~8 hits to kill a tank with the Hammerfist, mind you, the Hammerfist is useless for anything else because it's just that damn slow. The Blade has the speed of the claws, the strength of the Hammerfist, and much better attacks, seriously.

I never found a use for Muscle Mass other than the Final Boss where I was playing safe and was throwing Helicopters at him to keep myself safe (After seeing that he has his own Devastator Attack, and the fact that his normal attack takes away 40% of my health?), still changed for the blade once the timer came up though.

The whipfist got obsolete for absolutely everything but skyjacking choppers after the first boss fight, but that's just because IT'S THE ONLY WAY TO SKYJACK (Okay, so there is another way, but it involves you literally touching the chopper and grabbing it while it's on the air and on the move, no thank you.)

Spoiler:
3- The Ending could have been much, much better, it gives you a lot of answers, but it doesn't give you the sense of accomplishment an ending should give

4- Speaking of the ending I had way too much trouble finding 66% of the Web Of Intrigue, since they are, you know, RANDOM, and they are the only real way of getting the full story of the game (I didn't even get the classic "WE ARE THE FIRST AND LAST LINE OF DEFENSE, WE WILL HOLD THE RED LINE, IT IS THE LAST LINE TO EVER HOLD, WE ARE BLACKWATCH!" scene from it, ;_;)

5-
Spoiler:
The ultimate antagonist of the game, Elizabeth Greene, has the most generic death ever, Alex grabs her, throws her on the ground, and punches the shit out of her, he does THE EXACT SAME THING for EVERY Web Of Intrigue target

6- And finally
Spoiler:
while they DO say what happens to Karen Parker after she betrays you (You can actually find her and kill her off-screen in a cutscene if you consume every Blackwatch scientist during the Millitary Consume Events), the game just FORGETS about Dana Mercer, the last time you see her, you lead her to a doctor to save her after you rescue her from being kidnapped, she's never again mentioned, and the doctor, which is actually deeply involved with Blackwatch, is only mentioned again in Web Of Intrigue cutscenes, yeah...

I'm glad they are gonna be making Prototype 2, am kinda not glad the Main Character is not gonna be Mercer, also am NOT glad that it's only gonna be released next year, but eh, the game was still pretty fun, 7,5/10 I'd say.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 11:00:03 PM by Headphones Sacchi »

Formless God

« Reply #71 on: October 28, 2011, 11:29:30 PM »
... Unfortunately Tales of the Moon 3 doesn't look that appealing. I'll save it for later.

Just started Final Fantasy Reishiki. That intro, that improved gameplay, that
Spoiler:
zettai ryouiki
, everything oh my god :*
"Brutal" is the appropriate word to describe it.

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #72 on: October 29, 2011, 10:26:58 PM »
Annnnnnd I just got Dark Boy in The Binding of Issac. That's great, now I can put it down for a while...Or at least until the Halloween update. XD Then I'll prolly be preoccupied with Sonic Generations, Kirby, or something else. I also forgot about Halo Anniversary...It'd better be worth it. I didn't like Reach that much.

Phlegeth

• DPS LFG
  • Time expired: 121:45
« Reply #73 on: November 01, 2011, 07:17:20 PM »
I've been playing Megaten Imagine again.  I've been going around collecting Plug-Ins.  Phantom was annoying cause I had to do it twice, cause people decided to come up start attacking after I already beat it to a quarter health.  Now I'm working on Zhu Que, which is going to be even more time consuming.  A 1-3% chance of appearing at the end of a long dungeon.

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
« Reply #74 on: November 02, 2011, 09:23:18 PM »
Assassin's Creed.
Why did it take me so long to play these games?
Aww yeah assassinating people in the face how could you lose?

I might actually be done with Brotherhood in time to get Revelations when it comes out  :V

SuperParadox

• Thanks for letting me tag along guys...
  • ...But mom said I have to be home by 8!
    • Artwork from the future's past [Pixiv]
« Reply #75 on: November 06, 2011, 08:14:59 PM »
Right now I'm trying to get gta IV 100% complete
Also A bit of infamous, I'm finding it really boring at the moment though. I might bring up the difficulty to Hard if anything.

« Reply #76 on: November 06, 2011, 09:34:47 PM »
Right now I'm trying to get gta IV 100% complete

Make sure to keep checkpoints and a checklist handy for the pigeons. I was missing one of 200 when i was through all of them and I hadn't the slightest clue which one. (Not that those were worse than the Pool minigame. I swear, i was running Jakob over a bunch of times after that)

« Reply #77 on: November 07, 2011, 08:40:37 AM »
Also keep track of all of the events that you do with your friends. You have to do every one of them at least once. I think you also have to win the games you play against them...

But yeah. The pigeons and the stunt jumps are the most tedious things to do within Liberty City.

« Reply #78 on: November 07, 2011, 09:41:02 AM »
You need to win each mini game at least once but you don't have to win against everyone. Thankfully so.

lumber_of_the_beast

« Reply #79 on: November 07, 2011, 11:01:41 AM »
Finally got ePSXe working.

Symphony of the Night is pretty good.
Spoiler:
Order of Ecclesia is still better.

« Reply #80 on: November 07, 2011, 12:10:26 PM »
Symphony of the Night is pretty good.
Spoiler:
Order of Ecclesia is still better.

CotM > PoR > OoE > DoS > AoS > HoD > SoTN  :V

Angelfire

• Oh, you can't help that.
  • Mostly everyone's mad here.
« Reply #81 on: November 07, 2011, 12:36:07 PM »
Satisfying my need for speed with Gran Turismo 5.

Currently working on turning my '70 Mustang Mach 1 into something that could do battle in a Trans Am style race. The stiffened sway bars certainly help, but I still feel there's room for improvement.

Got it up to 600+ hp though. Handles better than my Cobra, which is frightening.
Without beginning or end

The ring stretches on into the infinite.

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #82 on: November 07, 2011, 08:04:15 PM »
I was missing one of 200 when i was through all of them and I hadn't the slightest clue which one.
IIRC one of the Flying Rats does not appear on that in-game website's map.

But yeah. The pigeons and the stunt jumps are the most tedious things to do within Liberty City.
Agreed there.

Playing a bit of III and VC to consider the option of modding these. Doesn't work too well on my system - cutscenes tend to lock up after they load unless I switch out tasks. Maybe it's time for XP SP2 compatibility mode.

But these will have to be removed as LA Noire Complete arrives (gah stupid 80GB HDD I'm using for now).
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

« Reply #83 on: November 07, 2011, 11:08:29 PM »
Agreed there.

However, I would rather collect all pigeons three times over than I'd collect all cars in LA Noire just one more time. That has got to be the worst collectathon I have ever taken upon myself.

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #84 on: November 08, 2011, 07:57:23 AM »
However, I would rather collect all pigeons three times over than I'd collect all cars in LA Noire just one more time. That has got to be the worst collectathon I have ever taken upon myself.
Oh dear, I guess I won't be doing that then.

On the other hand, the Just Cause 2 version of this seems even worse, as there are far too many locations, vehicles, vehicle parts, weapon parts, destructable items, etc. to really get through and complete. It also doesn't help that it takes a long time to get anywhere and that the game gets a bit too hard too quickly (apparently it wanted to be an action game, while most played it as a quacky physics-based sandbox of insanity :V).
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

lumber_of_the_beast

« Reply #85 on: November 08, 2011, 11:22:29 AM »
CotM > PoR > OoE > DoS > AoS > HoD > SoTN  :V
This may or may not have something to do with my having beaten Aria of Sorrow and all the DS ones first, but I couldn't really get into Circle of the Moon or Harmony of Despair.

Will probably give both of them another go after I've beaten SotN.

Spoiler:
Or, since I have nothing better to do with my time, LP every single Castlevania game for a system I can record.

« Reply #86 on: November 08, 2011, 12:57:29 PM »
Oh dear, I guess I won't be doing that then.

Imagine this. You sit in your room, playing the game, you are looking for one specific vehicle, no internet page can tell you where it is, you just have to drive around until you find it randomly. It was like that for basically every vehicle but obviously some are rarer than others and in the beginning you'll get new cars really fast but when you get to the last three or four cars, that's when things really start to hurt unless you are lucky to just find it fast. As for Just Cause 2, hilarious story here; I bought it and I had loads of fun with it until one day where my mother moved my xbox while the game was on effectively causing the game to be shred to ribbons. Nice one mom.

This may or may not have something to do with my having beaten Aria of Sorrow and all the DS ones first, but I couldn't really get into Circle of the Moon or Harmony of Despair.

Meh, Its the same for me. I played AoS as my first and tried Harmony and Circle later but didn't like them at first. Then I got the DS ones and was happy with that. Then a bunch of years later one of my friends decided to have this Castlevania-thon so i decided to give those GBA ones' another try. While Harmony was decent (actually, i don't think its better than SoTN) i realized that Circle of the Moon was really damn awesome once you get into it. The hardest one of the bunch, i mean seriously difficult. No shop to help you, random monsters can kill you, the bosses are nuts and the potion drop rate from the monsters are so bad that I had 5 potions by the end of the game.

That each healed 20 HP. I had around 700 i think. Still, great and challenging game. It also has the absolute best soundtrack of all the GBA games in my opinion. So yeah, give em a shot again some time and try to beat them.

« Reply #87 on: November 08, 2011, 07:53:14 PM »
I particularly didn't care for CotM or HoD. They seemed like a rather lacking knock-off of SotN, which I love dearly. AoS is top-notch; DoS was a pretty good follow-up. I enjoyed PoR, but was disappointed in them reusing the same four areas. OoE was fun, but it didn't really grab me until you finally got to go to Castlevania. Unfortunately, Dracula's Castle wasn't up to normal standards, since most of the memory went to the other linear areas.

On topic: I'm bouncing around through many games while waiting impatiently for the release of Saints Row: The Third. Minecraft full release will be happening a few days after that.. So, next week I'm going to be one happy son of a bitch.

Sophilia

• Exposition Patchouli
  • Seeker of Truth
« Reply #88 on: November 08, 2011, 08:47:06 PM »
My experience with CotM is pretty much a direct paraphrase of Sanity's reaction to Nocturne.

CotM: Well done, you've cleared out the castle, and did you even do the sewers before Death?
Sophie: Yes.
CotM: DRACULA TIME!
CotM: YOUR DSS CARD COLLECTION IS ASS!
Sophie: ;_;

It took some time, but I eventually beat that bastard with judicious use of double damage.  Then I used Patchy Mode as sweet, sweet summoning-abuse catharsis.
Life and death are without purpose.  Our attempts to give them one are quite presumptuous of us.  But in the end, we exist, and that is enough.

Current status: Dissuading deliberately choking for imagined fame.

« Reply #89 on: November 08, 2011, 09:15:23 PM »
CotM: Well done, you've cleared out the castle, and did you even do the sewers before Death?
Sophie: Yes.
CotM: DRACULA TIME!
CotM: YOUR DSS CARD COLLECTION IS ASS!
Sophie: ;_;

Am I to believe that I'm the only person who didn't use that stuff? Well, yeah Dracula was also as far as I got. I think that final form with the bats is seriously stupid. If just he stayed in that badass looking first form for the entire battle. Although that meteor shower is pretty hard to dodge.