Author Topic: Evangelion 3.33  (Read 13582 times)

commandercool

• alter cool
Evangelion 3.33
« on: April 24, 2013, 06:33:39 AM »
Just finished watching it. Mild spoiler warning. I won't go heavily into plot details, but I will talk about the movie as a whole.

Back in November I watched the first half hour of a camrip before the low quality of the recording made me stop, and based on what I saw there and small things I accidentally spoiled for myself I liked it more than I thought I would, and I was expecting to be fine with it. It did seem like the Dance With Dragons of anime movies in that pretty much the whole thing is setup for 4.0, but I like the drastic turn the series has taken more than I would have thought. Visually it's mind bending, even more than the previous ones, and that's saying something. There isn't as much by way of action, but plenty of gorgeous, crazy stuff still happens and the backgrounds look spectacular. The version I just watched didn't have subs for the weird opening sequence so I don't know if that had story significance, but if I did I missed it. My biggest complaint is that the entire movie had a very narrow scope right around Shinji, and he's still unlikable and crazy. Overall though, thumbs up from me. Will probably watch again this weekend with a different group of people and see how that goes.

So, what do you guys think? I've been avoiding any talk about it before now, but my general impression was that everyone seemed to hate it. It's in a weird place of being both very eventful and not having that much happen, so I can see how some people may be mad that more stuff didn't happen, and some people will inevitably not be on board with any huge departures from the source material, but I guess that stuff didn't bother me.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

[Y]oukai [J]esus

• "MotK's 1%" (?)
  • Idiot Deity 2013 - 2014 RIP
    • Muh Writings
Re: Evangelion 3.33
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 11:13:05 AM »
the whole thing is setup for 4.0

the entire movie had a very narrow scope right around Shinji, and he's still unlikable and crazy

There isn't as much by way of action, but plenty of gorgeous, crazy stuff still happens and the backgrounds look spectacular

You tldr'd the whole movie
Although I would say it had enough action already. I mean, those fights were pretty great.

<Nietz> Anyway, sex toys alone won't come up to 11k.
[18:48] <Warma> There must have been a new depth, where you've sunk as a person. Then you dug through that.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 03:35:54 PM »
Although I would say it had enough action already. I mean, those fights were pretty great.

Maybe I'm just spoiled by 2.0 being mostly a series of increasingly great fight scenes that are most of the movie. I guess by Eva standards 3.0 was average on action quantity, and ahead of the already steep curve on animation quality. And they hit the "introduce a bunch of cool looking robots for commandercool to buy action figures of but that only appear in one or two scenes" nail right on the head. :derp:

[Y]oukai [J]esus

• "MotK's 1%" (?)
    • Muh Writings
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 06:06:07 AM »
And they hit the "introduce a bunch of cool looking robots for commandercool to buy action figures of but that only appear in one or two scenes" nail right on the head. :derp:

Dude you cannot deny that Unit 13 was cool as fuck. Or Mk. 06 for that matter, with them sleek designs and blue colours

[18:48] <Warma> There must have been a new depth, where you've sunk as a person. Then you dug through that.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 04:11:40 PM »
Dude you cannot deny that Unit 13 was cool as fuck. Or Mk. 06 for that matter, with them sleek designs and blue colours

No I can't. I'll be picking up the Unit 13 and Unit 08 Revoltechs at some point I'm sure. Probably the new Unit 02 design as well.
Spoiler:
And that crazy franken-Eva from the preview for 4.0 looks freaking ridiculous, but silly enough to work too.

Quad City QBs

• tumblr, tumblr, in the attic,
  • who is the most problematic?
    • maullarmaullar @ Tumblr
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 05:28:06 AM »
My biggest complaint is that the entire movie had a very narrow scope right around Shinji, and he's still unlikable and crazy.

With respect, that's the entire point of the movies. Shinji's been incredibly self-centered from the beginning: he starts out loathing himself (which is still another form of self-obsession), and when he finally snaps out of it it's to save his waifu and who cares if the world gets fucked up in the process.
Spoiler:
(Which it does.) Then it happens again: he spends a while feeling sorry for himself, then he goes and decides to play the hero, ignoring the warnings of literally everyone else, and shit gets even worse.
As the mopey sponge or the determined wannabe Simon, Shinji still cannot shed his tragic flaw, his original sin if you will: his inability to genuinely look outside of himself. The whole time--in his mind--it's all about him, and that defines the direction of the plot and cinematography. Rebuild is Anno's answer to the age of the bland, viewer-stand-in harem protagonist, and he answers by showing what it's actually like to have the world revolve around you.

Also Mari is still hot and Sakura is really cute

Nothing in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor as creating an attorney-client relationship, nor as an advertisement for legal or law-related services.
Art Thread | Writing Thread | Tumblr NSFWAsk.fm

[Y]oukai [J]esus

• "MotK's 1%" (?)
    • Muh Writings
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 09:03:15 AM »

Nailed it

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 03:41:53 PM »
With respect, that's the entire point of the movies. Shinji's been incredibly self-centered from the beginning: he starts out loathing himself (which is still another form of self-obsession), and when he finally snaps out of it it's to save his waifu and who cares if the world gets fucked up in the process.
Spoiler:
(Which it does.) Then it happens again: he spends a while feeling sorry for himself, then he goes and decides to play the hero, ignoring the warnings of literally everyone else, and shit gets even worse.
As the mopey sponge or the determined wannabe Simon, Shinji still cannot shed his tragic flaw, his original sin if you will: his inability to genuinely look outside of himself. The whole time--in his mind--it's all about him, and that defines the direction of the plot and cinematography. Rebuild is Anno's answer to the age of the bland, viewer-stand-in harem protagonist, and he answers by showing what it's actually like to have the world revolve around you.

That's certainly not wrong, but paints a weird picture in a movie with such a drastic shift from the previous canon or even the previous movie. Especially given the level of worldbuilding we saw in 2.0 it's kind of frustrating to get almost none of it this time. Not that I particularly mind of course, I know I'm watching Eva and not something else, but I can kind of see why some people were put off by 3.0.

Incidentally I'm still banking on the theory that
Spoiler:
the Rebuild continuity is another alternate ending to the original canon in which Shinji proactively uses his god powers to try to fix the world, misunderstanding the causes of people's problems and breaking things even further by fixing them wrong. I was fully expecting some kind of canon hint to this effect in this movie, but at least I don't see anything to discredit it.

Quad City QBs

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 05:43:54 PM »
I heard somewhere that the
Spoiler:
timeskip
was intentional because
Spoiler:
14 years is the same length of time that elapsed IRL between the first series and Rebuild.
See, the "curse of Eva" means two different things--in-universe, it refers to how Eva pilots don't age. In real life, it's used to refer to how after Eva, the focus of the anime industry shifted to catering to obsessed moe fans in their thirties.
Spoiler:
In other words, people whose tastes hadn't matured since they were teens.

Funny, if true. And knowing Anno, I wouldn't doubt that was intentional.

Also,
Spoiler:
Sakura bondage y/n/q

Nothing in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor as creating an attorney-client relationship, nor as an advertisement for legal or law-related services.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 07:46:38 PM »
Spoiler:
timeskip
was intentional because
Spoiler:
14 years is the same length of time that elapsed IRL between the first series and Rebuild.
See, the "curse of Eva" means two different things--in-universe, it refers to how Eva pilots don't age. In real life, it's used to refer to how after Eva, the focus of the anime industry shifted to catering to obsessed moe fans in their thirties.
Spoiler:

Makes sense. Hadn't heard that yet. I was told, although I haven't taken the time yet to confirm, that
Spoiler:
Kaworu dies exactly X minutes after Fuyutsuki tells Shinji he's going to lose that game they're playing in X moves
. Not certain what the point of that is exactly if true/intentional, but kind of cool.

Also,
Spoiler:
Sakura bondage y/n/q

Spoiler:
Well gee, I wouldn't know... It's not like I may have come across your art anywhere or anything... Goodness me, certainly not. ;)

Jmyster

• Knives
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 09:20:18 PM »
Interesting. I'm going to hold out for the English Blu Ray release...eventually...I managed to do it last time. Or at least try.

I'm just hoping the last/4th movie comes much sooner than the third, so we can stick the whole set into Super Robot Wars already. You know they want to. They even stuck 2.0 in SRWL and just BS'd the ending so we can have Asuka Inazuma-kicking shit.

Quad City QBs

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2013, 01:51:12 AM »
Spoiler:
Kaworu dies exactly X minutes after Fuyutsuki tells Shinji he's going to lose that game they're playing in X moves

Quote from: Fuyutsuki, 00:55:13
You lose in thirty-one moves.

Quote from: Kaworu, 1:25:31
Spoiler:
Don't look at me like that, Shinji-kun. We'll meet again.

:OOOOOOOOOO

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2013, 02:12:07 AM »
Spoiler:
timeskip
was intentional because
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Also,
Spoiler:
Sakura bondage y/n/q

Anno's fairly open in his disdain for what he created. Gundam the Origin interview is fairly clear on it.
He hates the loss of epic narrative in favour of moe and it's focus on superficial detail and instant gratification.
And it didn't shift to moe fans in their 30's, although that audience is 30's now, it was to those who were in middle/high school when the original Eva aired (3rd generation otaku).

More of the moe tropes than we care to admit are directly from Eva.

Quad City QBs

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2013, 05:35:44 AM »

[Y]oukai [J]esus

• "MotK's 1%" (?)
    • Muh Writings
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2013, 09:25:49 AM »

ErASeR MOdER MAxiMUM

• sad to the core core core
  • SIE SIND DAS ESSEN UND WIR SIND DIE J?GER
    • tumblr
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2013, 07:25:07 PM »
*whispers*

kawoshin is canon and always will be god bless 3.33

haha ya im bak lol
3dpig.tumblr.com follow my tumbler

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2013, 10:09:21 PM »
*whispers*

kawoshin is canon and always will be god bless 3.33

I re-watched it last Saturday with a couple of other people. The innuendo is much heavier than I realized the first time. :derp:

ErASeR MOdER MAxiMUM

• tumblr
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2013, 10:12:28 PM »
I re-watched it last Saturday with a couple of other people. The innuendo is much heavier than I realized the first time. :derp:
It's hardly even innuendo at this point. Like, it'll never be as blatant as "I love you" and the canon kiss in the manga, but holy macaroni.

Kaworu's always like 5 seconds away from just saying "lol ya i like man dong shinjis man dong ya feel me".

That being said, I'm also a really awful fujoshi. But you don't have to be a fujoshi to see this.

haha ya im bak lol

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2013, 10:28:51 PM »
It's hardly even innuendo at this point. Like, it'll never be as blatant as "I love you" and the canon kiss in the manga, but holy macaroni.

I stopped reading the manga after four or five books because it was balls boring. Didn't know about that. Pretty good.

Spoiler:
4.0=AsukaxMari, ShinjixKaworu'sheadlesscorpse

ErASeR MOdER MAxiMUM

• tumblr
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2013, 11:58:07 PM »
It was boring, but I really, really LOVE Yoshiyuki Sadamoto's art and could stare at it for ages. :*

I know it looks like a doujin, but it's not. Volume 10, by the way.

No homo.

EDIT: WAIT SHOULD I TAG THIS AS NSFW IT LOOKS NSFW BUT HES LITERALLY JUST HAVING AN ASTHMA ATTACK OH GOODNESS

haha ya im bak lol

The ⑨th Zentillion

• The impeaches were delicious...
  • Now hungry for conviction!
    • Zentillion's Tumblr
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2013, 02:18:56 AM »
Also to be made of note, The Western licensing for the film has been announced. Probably won't see it out on DVD/Bluray until sometime next year though.
Did you bring a light?
...No...

Smash the Fash; The far right belongs in the TRASH.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2013, 02:48:12 AM »
Also to be made of note, The Western licensing for the film has been announced. Probably won't see it out on DVD/Bluray until sometime next year though.

Wow, that's much later than expected. Doesn't really change anything I guess.

ErASeR MOdER MAxiMUM

• tumblr
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2013, 11:08:33 PM »
I can't wait for it to come out in the West on Bluray, though. :*

haha ya im bak lol