Author Topic: Touhou 13 ~ Ten Desires announced!  (Read 262820 times)

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
Re: Touhou 13 ~ Ten Desires announced!
« Reply #450 on: February 28, 2011, 10:29:09 PM »
Late to the party.

There are two major trains of thought in my head right now:

1. "Oh god, oh god, new Touhou game! I wonder who I will fangirl over in this new game! This is gonna be awesome!!"

2. "FFFFFFFF PLEASE DO NOT RUIN EVERYTHING I HAVE PLANNED FOR MY SERIAL FICTION LIKE UFO DID FFFFFFFFF"

Writing serials in a universe where new information is added often enough to derail the best-laid plans makes me sad :(

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #451 on: February 28, 2011, 10:31:52 PM »
In those situations, isn't it best to put a disclaimer that it was written before certain characters and information came to light and go with what you have rather than try and cover up all the plot holes the information caused?

On topic, I'm still ecstatic over Youmu. This game already looks like it's going to be awesome. But I wonder what the theme of the music will be this time? Horror? If so, I can't wait to hear ZUN's take on more somber songs in-game.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

« Reply #452 on: February 28, 2011, 10:35:16 PM »
Konpaku Youmu

PHFUBLEHPHTH.

My literal reaction. I wish I had been drinking tea at that moment, so I could simply just post "Teaspit.jpg" instead.

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #453 on: February 28, 2011, 10:37:41 PM »
In those situations, isn't it best to put a disclaimer that it was written before certain characters and information came to light and go with what you have rather than try and cover up all the plot holes the information caused?
I'm not the sort who likes to blatantly contradict canon, though. Treat everything in canon as if it's a metaphor that's passed through several Orwellian editors before reaching us, who see it in an entirely separate cultural background from its intention? Sure. Write an event that actively flies in the face of canon information? God, never. A disclaimer is an idea I hadn't had, though. It'll take some thinking.

Spoiler:
Oh god oh god I hope none of ZUN's planned Last Words will contradict my own :<

Youmu, eh? This is pretty sweet. I don't so much care about her as I do about her master, but I do like Youmu.

One thing that reading this thread has taught me is that is indeed a fanbase that non-ironically wishes for Mima's return, and this shocks me. :S

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #454 on: February 28, 2011, 10:40:43 PM »
Re: ZUN trolling - Double Spoi
Spoiler:
er 9-7 means there is a precedent for it. :V

Explain how Double Spoiler is trolling. Please. I would love to hear what evidence you have that ZUN created a game specifically to incite rage and/or disappointment in the fanbase, who clearly know better than him what Touhou should be like.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #455 on: February 28, 2011, 10:43:57 PM »
Suggesting a link to the touhou wiki in the OP.

Also,
Teaspit.jpg

http://s135.photobucket.com/albums/q125/MasterBigode/?action=view&current=1298919613363.jpg

Explain how Double Spoiler is trolling. Please. I would love to hear what evidence you have that ZUN created a game specifically to incite rage and/or disappointment in the fanbase, who clearly know better than him what Touhou should be like.

He's referring to stage 9-7 of Double Spoiler I think.

Iced Fairy

• So like if you try to hurt alkaza
  • I will set you on fire k'?
    • Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #456 on: February 28, 2011, 10:44:11 PM »
One thing that reading this thread has taught me is that is indeed a fanbase that non-ironically wishes for Mima's return, and this shocks me. :S
Well she leaves so many unanswered questions.  Though I'd rather have her be a quick boss with a bit of info then a returning main.

And of course this will doom both my large works canon wise, but I knew it was going to happen.  With luck the place will be detached enough from Gensoukyo to handwave it in New World.  I knew ESR was doomed from the start, since I doubt Marisa will be a youkai and have a girlfriend in this game.

nintendonut888

« Reply #457 on: February 28, 2011, 10:44:21 PM »

I believe he's referring to scene 9-7, which depicts Satori reading the player's mind and recalling the nearly universally traumatizing scene 9-6 from StB, not the whole game.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Tengukami

« Reply #458 on: February 28, 2011, 10:44:45 PM »
He's referring to stage 9-7 of Double Spoiler I think.

I believe he's referring to scene 9-7, which depicts Satori reading the player's mind and recalling the nearly universally traumatizing scene 9-6 from StB, not the whole game.

So making the game difficult or challenging is trolling now? I know you're just explaining the logic, but I think it's still off-base.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 10:59:56 PM by Tengukami »

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

MaxKnight

• Youkai of the River
  • No, not that River
« Reply #459 on: February 28, 2011, 10:48:19 PM »
I've personally looked at using canon as a baseline for my writing but developing the characters into their own personalities over time.  There's certainly enough leeway to do such a thing that staying absolutely true to canon would start to feel rigid over time.

On the other hand, this throws a wrench in my own ideas, as I have to account for TD once I get that far (note: I'm nowhere near that far).  I'm just a little excited, though, as I've never played beyond IN...  I might just make TD my first post-IN Touhou that I ever play...

Youkai of Tea

• Faith and Tea.
  • And TeaFairies.
« Reply #460 on: February 28, 2011, 10:48:40 PM »
So, I'm a bit confused about the Mima status now. I remember something about ZUN confirming in an interview or chat that Mima would not be in TH13 or was this just false information?

Edit: This was like 6 months ago or something like that.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 10:53:05 PM by Youkai of Volcano Lotus »

Dular

• This avatar below me is considered ancient.
  • This avatar above me is considered ancient
« Reply #461 on: February 28, 2011, 10:48:52 PM »
Mima will not appear in the game, but all the faeries will look exactly like Mima.

nintendonut888

« Reply #462 on: February 28, 2011, 10:58:02 PM »
I don't think ZUN has ever officially said a word regarding Mima, but I did hear that in a Live stream of him talking with some other people he showed a vague feeling of disgust when the comments got flooded with "MIMA-SAMAAAAAAA" and such.

Also Ammy, it's not really a stretch to say that Satori recalling that particular scene was to poke fun at the players who played StB all the way through. Why else would he choose that specific scene out of all the others in the game?

« Reply #463 on: February 28, 2011, 11:00:17 PM »
New Touhou?
(ohmygod)1000

I don't really care about Youmu, though. But she has nice hair this time, so yeah.

SPELLCARD PRATICE FUCK YEAH
*celebrationdance*

*ahem*

Anyway, I never really got what the big deal was about Mima, but then again I've only played Lotus Land Story. (and tried Mystic Square, but Yuki and Mai are ridiculously annoying so  :fail:).

Tengukami

« Reply #464 on: February 28, 2011, 11:01:15 PM »
Also Ammy, it's not really a stretch to say that Satori recalling that particular scene was to poke fun at the players who played StB all the way through. Why else would he choose that specific scene out of all the others in the game?

I dunno, to make the game fun or challenging?

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #465 on: February 28, 2011, 11:03:59 PM »
Because continuity is fun, and he likes playing around with Touhou's history courtesy of Satori (see: every Satori spellcard she uses in SA)? I don't see why it has to be "trolling", though. Just acknowledging what he did before.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #466 on: February 28, 2011, 11:06:54 PM »
Re: ZUN trolling - Double Spoi
Spoiler:
er 9-7 means there is a precedent for it. :V
No. DS Scene 9-7 actually makes perfect sense considering who Satori is and how she fights. It does mess with the 4th wall a bit, but it's not trolling as far as I'm concerned.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #467 on: February 28, 2011, 11:08:44 PM »
Ammy - You're taking me way too seriously (see the :V ).

Satori's 9-7 was a direct reference to Shoot the Bullet, so yes, ZUN is acknowledging previous work.  There's nothing wrong with that at all.

The fact that the card that was recalled just happens to be what's considered one of, if not THE, hardest cards in Shoot the Bullet - except remade into a hilarious and nearly unsurvivable bullet spam - is pretty obviously poking fun at the fanbase.  But again, there's nothing WRONG with that at all.

I didn't mean for a derail of this magnitude.  We can move on now.

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #468 on: February 28, 2011, 11:10:32 PM »
If DS 9-7 is trolling, then Kogasa being the UFO Ex-midboss is trolling as well.  :derp:

Note that I predicted both StB 9-6 returning and Kogasa being UFO's Ex-midboss.

Also StB 9-6 is one of my fav cards from that game. It is the one spell card I have the most tries on, even!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 11:13:14 PM by Eeyore »
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Tengukami

« Reply #469 on: February 28, 2011, 11:11:16 PM »
"Trolling" implies that ZUN sat down at his computer, knowing just what would make you rage, and deliberately designed the game, or part of the game, with that goal in mind. Which is insane. Colonvee or no colonvee.

I didn't mean for a derail of this magnitude.  We can move on now.

Let's.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #470 on: February 28, 2011, 11:19:23 PM »

I really don't see how this is surprising at all, considering that for the past, I dunno, 2 or 3 games, people have been wanting Mima back - non-ironically. I mean, it's not like it's ever going to happen, but people can dream, right? Besides, I secretly non-ironically want Meemer back as well - if only because PC-98 needs moar references and I'm just a biased fuck twat.

Anyway, I never really got what the big deal was about Mima, but then again I've only played Lotus Land Story. (and tried Mystic Square, but Yuki and Mai are ridiculously annoying so  :fail:).

you can't really complain about Mystic Square until you've hit Stage 5 and eventually Yumeko

aaaaaa HATE THAT STAGE

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #471 on: February 28, 2011, 11:20:47 PM »
you can't really complain about Mystic Square until you've hit Stage 5 and eventually Yumeko

aaaaaa HATE THAT STAGE
The stage isn't that bad but YUMEKOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
« Reply #472 on: February 28, 2011, 11:23:02 PM »
Yumeko is one of the most fun things in touhou. Okay, she slaughters me, but I wouldn't want to get slaughtered any other way~.

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

miracle★cookie

• 時よ止まれ、お前は美しい
« Reply #473 on: February 28, 2011, 11:23:28 PM »
fun read.

suppose a quick summary wouldnt hurt, what we know so far (semi-facts):

*four playable characters: Reimu, Marisa, Sanae and Youmu
*spell practice is back, comes with Last Worlds probably
*10 fragments for lives and bombs...
Spoiler:
ten desires
*charge shot is back
*characters have special abilities...the last main game with char special skills was IN iirc?
*UFO-like spirits and the skull...
Spoiler:
hyper mode and stuff
*insert stuff i forgot*

now the fun speculations:
*Mima will return, cuz spirits! fans' fascination with the black history of touhou
*Orin will return, cuz spirits
*Shinki will return! cuz 綺 -> 霊廟 and Byakuren was foreshadowing the return of Shinki
*Sakuya is the last boss...if Ten Desires has anything to do with the 7 sins, she will be
Spoiler:
Maid of Envy
  :colonveeplusalpha:
*seeing how Reimu and co. have been to Makai (魔界) and Netherworld (冥界), the setting this time will be in the spirit world (霊界)
*no new characters will be introduced cuz
Spoiler:
録+地殿=神霊
. consequently the final bossess will be
Spoiler:
Kanako and Okuu
*UFO crew might show up at some point, specifically Syou
*Shinreibyou will be a faction, just like Myourenji
*Kasen Ibara will debut in this game, and she will crush you with one hand
*Stage 4 bosses will be one of the playable characters, just like IN
*Ten desires has something to do with the spiritual realms of some Buddhism?
*stuff i missed

also

:smug:

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #474 on: February 28, 2011, 11:24:23 PM »
I really don't see how this is surprising at all, considering that for the past, I dunno, 2 or 3 games, people have been wanting Mima back - non-ironically. I mean, it's not like it's ever going to happen, but people can dream, right? Besides, I secretly non-ironically want Meemer back as well - if only because PC-98 needs moar references and I'm just a biased fuck twat.
Yes, but-- somehow, it was so dismissible as "ahahaha, people are just joking around again", and its true magnitude never struck me then. But now it has, and I'm absolutely stunned to see that Mima has a fanbase that really, really, REALLY wants her back.
Spoiler:
Why doesn't Yumemi have it, though? :<

Anyway, on-topic again:

Fingers crossed for Kasen. Definitely. Seeing as how she can punch out spirits with that delicious bandaged hand and all.

Also, the warping on Reimu's foot as she crosses to the red zone gives me Eversion vibes.

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #475 on: February 28, 2011, 11:25:55 PM »
Spoiler:
Why doesn't Yumemi have it, though? :<
Because she didn't get featured in four games, nor was she playable outside a Phantasmagoria.

I'd still love to see Yumemi come back...

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
« Reply #476 on: February 28, 2011, 11:29:52 PM »
Also, the warping on Reimu's foot as she crosses to the red zone gives me Eversion vibes.
It is most likely going to be quite similar.
The "hyper" is actually crossing into the realm of spirits.
Considering that those orb-spirit-enemy-thingies are only on the screenshot where the background is swirly and the timer runs, i.e. in the world of spirits, I assume that the "hyper" actually summons additional enemies, namely them little spirit guys. This obviously raises difficulty and may prove leathal, but they also drop good stuff when you kill them or at the very least give massive score.

[/hypothesises]

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #477 on: February 28, 2011, 11:32:11 PM »
So many people want kasen, I want hatate dammit. Though I rekon well either get both or neither.

Tengukami

« Reply #478 on: February 28, 2011, 11:33:40 PM »
It is most likely going to be quite similar.
The "hyper" is actually crossing into the realm of spirits.
Considering that those orb-spirit-enemy-thingies are only on the screenshot where the background is swirly and the timer runs, i.e. in the world of spirits, I assume that the "hyper" actually summons additional enemies, namely them little spirit guys. This obviously raises difficulty and may prove leathal, but they also drop good stuff when you kill them or at the very least give massive score.

[/hypothesises]

This makes a great deal of sense, and sounds like more fun than a barrel of monkeys.

Slaves

• uHHH,
  • uHHHHHHHHHH,,,
« Reply #479 on: February 28, 2011, 11:35:27 PM »
*no new characters will be introduced

i will flip my shit and set japan on fire