Author Topic: Team ⑨ Mystical Quest - (Touhou RPG) - Alpha v.6 released!  (Read 179423 times)

Evil_Nazgul0616

• Seg Fault
  • ERROR
Re: Team ⑨ Mystical Quest - (Touhou RPG) - Alpha v.6 released!
« Reply #420 on: September 27, 2015, 11:46:11 PM »
Small update:
I was able to start work on Eientei this weekend. There's no video, unfortunately, but I have a few screenshots:
This is the current version of the exterior map at 1/2 scale:
[attach=3]
I also added something to that roadblock in the Bamboo forest, which actually provides a reason for why you can't access Eientei in the early game:
[attach=1]
[attach=2]

That is all, for now.

WodofGar

• Virtual Cartographer
  • Double Spoiler was my birthday present.
« Reply #421 on: September 27, 2015, 11:56:49 PM »
Can't wait, I'm playing it right now actually.
Take it easy!

R. P. Genocraft

• Craftsman of absolute unpredictability
  • Boundary of productive and lazy
« Reply #422 on: September 28, 2015, 06:24:25 PM »
Cool!
But I think you should change Tewi's dialogue to something like "The Princess and Miss Mokou had a big fight this morning".

Evil_Nazgul0616

• Seg Fault
  • ERROR
« Reply #423 on: September 29, 2015, 12:35:56 AM »
Cool!
But I think you should change Tewi's dialogue to something like "The Princess and Miss Mokou had a big fight this morning".
Yeah. That sounds a bit better. I'll do that.

Evil_Nazgul0616

• Seg Fault
  • ERROR
« Reply #424 on: October 11, 2015, 08:04:30 AM »
New video.

The black rectangle is my current placeholder for Kaguya's overworld sprite, since I couldn't find a good placeholder. It will hopefully be replaced soon.

Also, behold my bad attempt to 8-bitify one of Kaguya's Mystical Chain sprites...

Evil_Nazgul0616

• Seg Fault
  • ERROR
« Reply #425 on: October 18, 2015, 09:18:45 PM »
*cough* *cough* spiders. *cough*

Evil_Nazgul0616

• Seg Fault
  • ERROR
« Reply #426 on: November 08, 2015, 11:50:28 PM »
No new video this time, but I might as well post a progress update.
The Underground is roughly 1/3 of the way done in terms of layout, and Rumia's sidequest as a whole is about 20% finished.

I don't really have much more to say, so I'll just finish up with a screenshot:

Name that boss!
[attach=1]

R. P. Genocraft

« Reply #427 on: December 14, 2015, 09:14:19 PM »
Hey Nazgul, have you found good sprites for kaguya? If not, you can use her sprite from "Touhou - Genius of Sappheiros":

Evil_Nazgul0616

• Seg Fault
  • ERROR
« Reply #428 on: December 14, 2015, 09:20:34 PM »
Sorry, I can't really use those. They're too big, and don't fit with the game's style.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 12:03:15 AM by Evil_Nazgul0616 »

« Reply #429 on: December 16, 2015, 06:35:42 PM »
Since the thread got bumped, I'll post this now:

1) Nameless Hill is broken.
Basically, if a tile is one space from you and has a flower/patch of grass on it, you can walk there. Even if it's supposed to be a cliff:
[attachimg=1]
(there's a flower under Rumia)
By using this, you can skip pretty much the whole thing, up to and including Medicine. I've included a map with the faulty collision spots in the attachments.
Muenzuka is also broken in the same way. (it's more minor, but skipping most random encounters by taking the scenic route through the grass field above is still not really good)

2) Reaver is broken.
First, 2499 crit damage. That's ridiculous by early game standards (Reimu goes down in 3 criticals. Sariel - in about 4.).
Now, it might have been fine if the crit chance was sufficiently low. Unfortunately, that's broken too. (for reference, Reaver's current chance to crit is ~100%)
Here's a showcase of Reaver's brokenness. Even some superbosses don't fare that well.

3) The scene upon entering the Garden of the Sun after getting Wriggle is bugged, as it throws you back to the original map even if you're in the endgame.

4) Everything Nitori gives you for glass shards becomes unobtainable when you start the endgame. Also applies to Patchoulli's Magic Amplifier.

5) If you enter the Namazu battle with Wriggle dead and then somehow finish it with only Tenshi alive, you get a Game Over.

Evil_Nazgul0616

• Seg Fault
  • ERROR
« Reply #430 on: December 16, 2015, 07:04:01 PM »
1) Nameless Hill is broken.
Basically, if a tile is one space from you and has a flower/patch of grass on it, you can walk there. Even if it's supposed to be a cliff:
(there's a flower under Rumia)
By using this, you can skip pretty much the whole thing, up to and including Medicine. I've included a map with the faulty collision spots in the attachments.
Muenzuka is also broken in the same way. (it's more minor, but skipping most random encounters by taking the scenic route through the grass field above is still not really good)
Wow, I didn't even realize that... I'll correct that as soon as I can.

2) Reaver is broken.
First, 2499 crit damage. That's ridiculous by early game standards (Reimu goes down in 3 criticals. Sariel - in about 4.).
Now, it might have been fine if the crit chance was sufficiently low. Unfortunately, that's broken too. (for reference, Reaver's current chance to crit is ~100%)
Here's a showcase of Reaver's brokenness. Even some superbosses don't fare that well.
That'll be pretty easy to nerf.

3) The scene upon entering the Garden of the Sun after getting Wriggle is bugged, as it throws you back to the original map even if you're in the endgame.
Whoops, my bad. Easy fix.

4) Everything Nitori gives you for glass shards becomes unobtainable when you start the endgame. Also applies to Patchoulli's Magic Amplifier.
I actually already knew about this one. I was going to correct it soon anyway.

5) If you enter the Namazu battle with Wriggle dead and then somehow finish it with only Tenshi alive, you get a Game Over.
That's because the game removes Tenshi from the party in order to make room for Wriggle. So in that instant there are technically no living party members left, which is why it triggers a game over.

I'll try to fix all of these in the next update.

« Reply #431 on: December 16, 2015, 07:28:23 PM »
That's because the game removes Tenshi from the party in order to make room for Wriggle. So in that instant there are technically no living party members left, which is why it triggers a game over.
Actually, it doesn't Game Over in that instant - it does right when the player actor (Cirno) starts moving. And it ends after the switch has been completed, because you end up with no alive characters (Wriggle was killed before Namazu (and no, removing and then adding a character to the party doesn't restore his/her HP or anything), everyone else - by it...). Otherwise, that Tenshi soloing Namazu video I posted on the 12th page would also end with a Game Over. (admittedly, I cut it before the character switch part)
And I'm not even sure why I am correcting your statement, but oh well.

R. P. Genocraft

« Reply #433 on: April 02, 2016, 11:07:47 AM »
Just finished the game, it's really good! I had to start over because daisanji's tower wasn't appearing, but at least i finished it. Also, ethereal daisanji's sprite is amazing!

Evil_Nazgul0616

• Seg Fault
  • ERROR
« Reply #434 on: April 02, 2016, 06:05:46 PM »
Just finished the game, it's really good! I had to start over because daisanji's tower wasn't appearing, but at least i finished it. Also, ethereal daisanji's sprite is amazing!
Glad you liked it :)
Also that sprite was probably one of the best sprites I've done lol.

Is there anything not obvious that wasn't already stated that needs work?
Any parts that you liked the most? The least?

Also, the next version is about 80% complete, I just need to add the last areas, do a few final tweaks, and playtest and I should be able to release it.
However, progress is going slow due to college life, so the soonest I can continue working on it would be next weekend.

R. P. Genocraft

« Reply #435 on: April 05, 2016, 01:57:55 PM »
Hey Nazgul I think I can help you with something: I noticed in your videos/screenshots, that there are some characters you are using that doesn't have good sprites so you're using placeholders. Can you give me a list of the characters you need sprites? I can try to make them if you do.
Edit: Here's an example:
Mima!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 03:03:42 PM by GenoCraft »

Evil_Nazgul0616

• Seg Fault
  • ERROR
« Reply #436 on: April 05, 2016, 03:50:12 PM »
Hey Nazgul I think I can help you with something: I noticed in your videos/screenshots, that there are some characters you are using that doesn't have good sprites so you're using placeholders. Can you give me a list of the characters you need sprites? I can try to make them if you do.
Edit: Here's an example:
Mima!
That Mima looks pretty good! Sure, you're welcome to help with sprites if you want.
Characters that currently need sprites or better sprites:
-Mima
-Mima (Wearing a hooded cloak so it's not immediately apparent that it's her.)
-Orin (Without the cat cart.)
-Kaguya
-Sariel (Only needs the downward facing sprites, but you are welcome to make the other directions if you wish.)
-Yuki (Right now she's using Marisa's sprite.)
-Elis
-Shinki

EDIT #2:
-Yumeko
-Konngara

I can't really think of any more off the top of my head.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 02:24:55 AM by Evil_Nazgul0616 »

« Reply #437 on: April 05, 2016, 06:09:37 PM »
Also Shinki.

Are you sure you need only the downward sprites of Sariel? She can be talked to from any direction post-fight, I think.

EDIT: Also, unrelated to the sprites: check Poison resistances for bosses, starting from... chapter 5, maybe. I'm not quite sure.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 06:12:55 PM by Searinox119 »

R. P. Genocraft

« Reply #438 on: April 05, 2016, 08:37:33 PM »
Okay I'll start to do the sprites you asked tomorrow. I think I'll do sariel first.
Meanwhile, I edited fairy sprites to make them look more like your game. Basically every fairy variation in the current version except for the mischievous three is here:

Evil_Nazgul0616

• Seg Fault
  • ERROR
« Reply #439 on: April 05, 2016, 08:50:30 PM »
Okay I'll start to do the sprites you asked tomorrow. I think I'll do sariel first.
Meanwhile, I edited fairy sprites to make them look more like your game. Basically every fairy variation in the current version except for the mischievous three is here:

Oh wow!

You know, you really didn't have to do that. I mean, the reason the fairy overworld sprites weren't very varied in the first place was because I kinda wanted them to be universal. Well, I guess I'll use at least most of them now. Probably not all of them will make it into the next release, mainly because of the massive amounts of sprite replacing I have to do to every overworld fairy in each of the game's areas to incorporate them. (Save for the SDM, since the fairies in there all use the same unique sprite, meaning I can replace all of them at the same time by just editing the sprite file they use.)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 08:59:21 PM by Evil_Nazgul0616 »

« Reply #440 on: April 06, 2016, 06:32:32 AM »
If you want to make Shinki sprites at any point, you may use these as a base:
[attachimg=1]
I tried my best, but I still couldn't make the side and back hair look good; maybe you'd do better than me. You probably don't even need to make animations - she never moves anyway.

EDIT: Since I had a bunch of free time, I made some sprite mockups. Any comments/criticisms?
[attachimg=2]
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 04:01:25 PM by Searinox119 »

Evil_Nazgul0616

• Seg Fault
  • ERROR
« Reply #441 on: April 06, 2016, 05:29:22 PM »
EDIT: Since I had a bunch of free time, I made some sprite mockups. Any comments/criticisms?
[attachimg=2]
Looks pretty nice. Is that Yumemi?

« Reply #442 on: April 06, 2016, 05:47:23 PM »
Looks pretty nice. Is that Yumemi?
Well, yes.

R. P. Genocraft

« Reply #443 on: April 07, 2016, 05:51:27 PM »
I wasn't able to do anything yesterday because of school, sorry...
Anyway Shinki and yumemi are looking great! Though her hair was supposed to look more like this http://static.zerochan.net/Okazaki.Yumemi.full.885552.jpg
Just finished Sariel. For a walking animation I think just making her float is enough. I did her transcendant form for practice.
Kaguya is next.

Evil_Nazgul0616

• Seg Fault
  • ERROR
« Reply #444 on: April 07, 2016, 05:56:01 PM »
Sariel looks nice. Good job  :)

« Reply #445 on: April 07, 2016, 06:48:00 PM »
Anyway Shinki and yumemi are looking great! Though her hair was supposed to look more like this
I know, but that probably won't be fixed, because the placeholder haircut she has now looks better than my attempts at her actual long hair. Same thing with wrong-colored shirt sleeves - I know they aren't supposed to be black, but white ones look worse, and it's not that noticeable anyway.

Shinki was really posted here more as help for whoever wanted to make one, since I'm displeased with the results (more specifically, the hair part), but if you think the sprite's fine enough as it is, I might as well finish the animations and post it later.

R. P. Genocraft

« Reply #446 on: April 07, 2016, 07:36:48 PM »
Sariel looks nice. Good job  :)
Thanks! :D
I have noticed some battler sprites(mostly shinki) don't really fit with the game's style. So, I edited Shinki's sprites from Teruru's MUGEN character to make this:
(The image's very big since there are her three forms so use this link)http://i.imgur.com/JXvl0To.png

Evil_Nazgul0616

• Seg Fault
  • ERROR
« Reply #447 on: April 07, 2016, 10:08:35 PM »
Thanks! :D
I have noticed some battler sprites(mostly shinki) don't really fit with the game's style. So, I edited Shinki's sprites from Teruru's MUGEN character to make this:
(The image's very big since there are her three forms so use this link)http://i.imgur.com/JXvl0To.png
Nice!

« Reply #448 on: April 09, 2016, 06:15:53 PM »
[attachimg=1]  |  [attachimg=2]  |  [attachimg=3]

R. P. Genocraft

« Reply #449 on: April 09, 2016, 09:12:46 PM »
Yuki and Elis are done. I also edited the kedama sprites to make them look more like the battlers:

I decided to leave Kaguya for later. It's a pain in the ass to draw her hair. My next is Mima.