Author Topic: Team ⑨ Mystical Quest - (Touhou RPG) - Alpha v.6 released!  (Read 179398 times)

Evil_Nazgul0616

• Seg Fault
  • ERROR
Re: Team ⑨ Mystical Quest - (Touhou RPG) - Alpha v.3 is out!
« Reply #180 on: January 18, 2015, 01:44:48 AM »
I got two question though.
1. Who will the summoner be?
2. What's the BGM when you fight the mirror version of your party? (Not the mirror itself)
1. Anyone can learn summons. Provided you have the items that can teach summons. (Which are consumed after one use.)
2. Fight Against an Armed Boss from Super Mario RPG.

Your Everyday NEET

• Part time Researcher & Let's Player, full time NEET, also an eel
« Reply #181 on: January 18, 2015, 03:55:04 AM »
Thanks again Naz.

I wish we could summon Flandre though, it will be very awesome.

Evil_Nazgul0616

• Seg Fault
  • ERROR
« Reply #182 on: January 18, 2015, 05:32:43 AM »
I wish we could summon Flandre though, it will be very awesome.
Well, I guess it's finally time to give a better reward for beating Lunatic Flandre then.  :)

The Flandre summon will summon one of Flandre's Four of a Kind copies to inflict a OHKO attack on a single enemy for a cost of 100 TP. It does not work on bosses or certain hard to kill enemies that give a massive amount of experience.
Spoiler:
(Yup, I'm adding in Metal Slimes too.)

Your Everyday NEET

« Reply #183 on: January 18, 2015, 06:31:47 AM »
The Flandre summon will summon one of Flandre's Four of a Kind copies to inflict a OHKO attack on a single enemy for a cost of 100 TP. It does not work on bosses or certain hard to kill enemies that give a massive amount of experience.
Spoiler:
Muahahahahahaha. Now I can inflict hell- wait a minute. It's Awesome But Impractical incarnate and borderline Useless Useful Spell. The fight against random encounter is too short for me to built up TP and I can't inflict it on bosses? Dang.

EDIT: I want to propose another effect of Flandre's summon. With 100 TP, the summon causes 9999 damage to single enemy and it also work on bosses. But late game bosses will have HP more than 9999 so this spell will not be too gamebreaking. Also you can use it on
Spoiler:
Metal Slime
. But it's very hard to set your TP considering your TP decreases between battles. It's up to you whether you accept my suggestion or not.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 09:02:57 AM by Your Everyday NEET »

Evil_Nazgul0616

• Seg Fault
  • ERROR
« Reply #184 on: January 18, 2015, 05:33:30 PM »
The fight against random encounter is too short for me to built up TP
In that regard, I'm adding items that give a boost of TP during a battle, though I'll have to find a way to balance them so that people don't use them to abuse Mystia's songs or summons. (I'll probably have them as an uncommon enemy drop starting from where Makai begins.)

EDIT: I want to propose another effect of Flandre's summon. With 100 TP, the summon causes 9999 damage to single enemy and it also work on bosses. But late game bosses will have HP more than 9999 so this spell will not be too gamebreaking. Also you can use it on
Spoiler:
Metal Slime
. But it's very hard to set your TP considering your TP decreases between battles. It's up to you whether you accept my suggestion or not.
If I accepted that, it would still be a game breaker, since even with 9999 damage it's still instantly taking out a massive chunk of a boss's HP. (There is, however, one boss that Flandre will work on, and that would be Yuugenmagan's eyes.)
And
Spoiler:
Metal Slimes
are supposed to be hard to kill. If the player were to instantly kill them every time one showed up, then leveling up will be way too easy.

EDIT: By the way, does anyone happen to know a good, intimidating sprite of
Spoiler:
Sariel
that I can use for a battle sprite? Or better yet where I can find her HRtP sprites without any cutoff?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 07:07:55 PM by Evil_Nazgul0616 »

Your Everyday NEET

« Reply #185 on: January 19, 2015, 02:24:20 AM »
In that regard, I'm adding items that give a boost of TP during a battle,
How much does this item heal anyway? 50 TP?
If I accepted that, it would still be a game breaker, since even with 9999 damage it's still instantly taking out a massive chunk of a boss's HP. (There is, however, one boss that Flandre will work on, and that would be Yuugenmagan's eyes.)
And
Spoiler:
Metal Slimes
are supposed to be hard to kill. If the player were to instantly kill them every time one showed up, then leveling up will be way too easy.
I still think achieving 100 TP is very hard. You need to use attack for about 20 turns or less with the exception of Mystia. Let's say if the item heal 50 TP, you still need 3 turns to properly set it up.
About
Spoiler:
Metal Slimes, what's its favorite attack? Thats right, it's flee.
Like I said, it is very hard to set it up.
I guess some spell were meant to be Useless Useful.

EDIT
Spoiler:
Sariel
that I can use for a battle sprite? Or better yet where I can find her HRtP sprites without any cutoff?
Greetings, I am YEN, the currency of Japanese. I heard you want a sprite of Sariel, so how about I offer you this?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 12:33:21 PM by Your Everyday NEET »

Your Everyday NEET

« Reply #186 on: January 19, 2015, 12:34:51 PM »
Spoiler:
Sariel
Or can I offer a low quality, badly cropped, and creepy as duck Sariel?
Forgive me for posting twice. I don't know hoe to insert a picture normaly to a post.

Evil_Nazgul0616

• Seg Fault
  • ERROR
« Reply #187 on: January 19, 2015, 05:42:31 PM »
How much does this item heal anyway? 50 TP?I still think achieving 100 TP is very hard. You need to use attack for about 20 turns or less with the exception of Mystia. Let's say if the item heal 50 TP, you still need 3 turns to properly set it up.
The item gives 25 TP. And it won't take 3 turns to set up a summon like Flandre. Just have every single member of the party use the item on whoever is going to cast the summon and then cast the summon on the next turn.

About
Spoiler:
Metal Slimes, what's its favorite attack? Thats right, it's flee.
Like I said, it is very hard to set it up.
I guess some spell were meant to be Useless Useful.
They will never flee on the first two turns. After that, they have a 2/3 chance of fleeing on any given turn. So if Flandre worked on Metal Slimes, people would be instantly killing them before they can flee, which would kind of defeat the purpose of making them hard to kill.

EDITGreetings, I am YEN, the currency of Japanese. I heard you want a sprite of Sariel, so how about I offer you this?
I can't use a Walfas Sariel, because it would clash immensely with the style of the game.
The other image is of too low quality to be used as anything other than a placeholder, but thanks for trying to help.

In other news, Sariel is complete. Currently, she is the only character with both placeholder battle sprites and placeholder overworld sprites.

However, this does not mean the next version is close to release.
Spoiler:
I'm going to add in a portion of Chapter 3 first!

« Reply #188 on: January 19, 2015, 07:07:33 PM »
Well, I guess it's finally time to give a better reward for beating Lunatic Flandre then.  :)
Spoiler:
I'm not sure if it's possible to make it a worse reward than this... Useless Useful Spell? For a brutal bonus boss which was stated to be "100% impossible"? Seriously?
(There is, however, one boss that Flandre will work on, and that would be Yuugenmagan's eyes.)
Wow, that changes everything! Don't forget to make Marisa vulnerable too and then it'll be the most balanced summon in existence!
The item gives 25 TP. And it won't take 3 turns to set up a summon like Flandre. Just have every single member of the party use the item on whoever is going to cast the summon and then cast the summon on the next turn.
25 TP? Ok.
Just to recap - you are going to add a summon for an extremely hard boss which kills one weak foe at a time and also requires 10-20 turns worth of attacks, which is hard to do since current random encounters last 5-6 turns, or spending rarely dropping TP items (at least two at current battle length). I'd rather go with regular Flandre and her Lavateinn, thank you very much.
Spoiler:
Sariel
1) Nope.
2) Aye, ye can find them in HRtP.
Sarcasm aside, that will probably do. All necessary information to extract the sprites was in this topic, by the way.

Evil_Nazgul0616

• Seg Fault
  • ERROR
« Reply #189 on: January 20, 2015, 12:09:09 AM »
Don't forget to make Marisa vulnerable too and then it'll be the most balanced summon in existence!
Assuming that there are people out there who can beat Lunatic Flandre before Marisa...

Oh, and thanks for the Sariel sprite. However, after some thinking I realized that the current placeholder I'm using for her battle sprite actually fits better into the style of the game than the HRtP sprites, so I'm going to stick with the placeholders for now.

Anyways, I'm starting work on Chapter 3 now. Chapter 3 will involve ascending Youkai Mountain
Spoiler:
and reaching Bhava-agra
. Now I need to go scouring the interwebs for some Tengu sprites to use as enemies...

Your Everyday NEET

« Reply #190 on: January 20, 2015, 12:28:17 AM »

They will never flee on the first two turns. After that, they have a 2/3 chance of fleeing on any given turn. So if Flandre worked on Metal Slimes, people would be instantly killing them before they can flee, which would kind of defeat the purpose of making them hard to kill.

I can't use a Walfas Sariel, because it would clash immensely with the style of the game.
The other image is of too low quality to be used as anything other than a placeholder, but thanks for trying to help.
I didn't even think of giving 4 TP recovery item at once, so its my mistake.

Thank God the Metal Slimes never flee on first turn. I always hated that, its like they slapped a big middle finger to your face.

The first one's a joke. I knew you wouldn't put it. The second one is my poor attempt to crop a sprite.
Just to recap - you are going to add a summon for an extremely hard boss which kills one weak foe at a time and also requires 10-20 turns worth of attacks, which is hard to do since current random encounters last 5-6 turns, or spending rarely dropping TP items (at least two at current battle length). I'd rather go with regular Flandre and her Lavateinn, thank you very much.

2) Aye, ye can find them in HRtP.
Sarcasm aside, that will probably do. All necessary information to extract the sprites was in this topic, by the way.
Way to go Searinox, you said it even better than I did.

Where did you find it anyway? I couldn't find it using google.
Assuming that there are people out there who can beat Lunatic Flandre before Marisa...
Umm Naz, I think Searinox just said a sarcasm.

EDIT: My comment after watching Sariel boss fight.
Wriggle: We're going to curbstomp you.
Yeah Wriggle, you sure are curbstomping Sariel, considering you only by luck.

That said, the placeholder really is nicer than the original creepy as duck Sariel.

Finally, Sariel(not the Transcendence one) had a proper use of charge attack.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 12:49:54 AM by Your Everyday NEET »

« Reply #191 on: January 20, 2015, 01:59:09 AM »
Going to agree with Searinox and NEET here, Lunatic Flandre's summon doesn't seem as great compared to her normal counterpart's reward, a weapon with +100 ATT and MAT. At least that is useful in boss fights. By the time you beat Lunatic Flandre, you should already be strong enough to one shot most random encounters and have little trouble with chapter one and early chapter two bosses. Making the summon do 9999 damage is not actually that game breaking, because by the time you beat Lunatic Flandre Rumia should be able to do about 6-7k with Demarcation and Apparitions Stalk the Night buff on her. Unlike the summon, Rumia can do this twice per turn due to haste, and it doesn't even take up 100 MP or anything.

As a suggestion, maybe making Flandre use another move for her summon other than Laevateinn could be better. Destruction Rain, And Then There Will be None (except I have no idea what Slip does exactly, I assume it's some DoT) or even Four of a Kind to give four moves on the next turn for one character. Just keep in mind, this is a summon you get after beating four bosses with over 40k HP and really powerful moves. All the bosses encountered so far have 10000 HP or less. The summon is meant to be overpowered.

In other news, Sariel is complete. Currently, she is the only character with both placeholder battle sprites and placeholder overworld sprites.
That Sariel fight looks pretty good, I think the placeholder sprites are fine right now. As an alternative, there are the Touhoumon sprites if you haven't looked at them already, but I think I like these ones better. It's up to you, of course.

Evil_Nazgul0616

• Seg Fault
  • ERROR
« Reply #192 on: January 20, 2015, 04:30:30 AM »
I have no idea what Slip does exactly, I assume it's some DoT
Slip (AKA Bleedout) is like poison, except that it's fatal if left untreated (Poison never allows HP to drop below 1).
Anyway, I guess I'll make Flandre's summon into a 9999 damage attack that works on everything except
Spoiler:
Metal Slimes
and related enemies. I'm going to keep the TP cost the same, though.

That Sariel fight looks pretty good, I think the placeholder sprites are fine right now. As an alternative, there are the Touhoumon sprites if you haven't looked at them already, but I think I like these ones better. It's up to you, of course.
I do hope you realize that the placeholder battle sprites for Sariel are Touhoumon sprites. (Well, the second one is the Touhoumon sprite blended with her second form from HRtP.)

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #193 on: January 20, 2015, 04:33:16 AM »
Well there are the new touhou puppet dance performance sprites and are animated. I've been giving them away to people on the forums.

Also I'm very sorry about not getting the resized logo to you, PDP happened and I've been busy with the TSSB thing as well. I'll submit it soon but first I'm trying to see about perhaps a custom UI to fit the style of the game.
Touhou Fugyouseki ~ Nightmare of Sleeping Girl English Patch
I run a crappy YouTube channel, check it out if you wish~

« Reply #194 on: January 20, 2015, 04:42:35 AM »
I honestly didn't realise because I looked at the 1.8 Touhoudex and saw a different sprite. I haven't played the new puppet dance performance, my apologies on that.
I don't see an issue with keeping the summon's TP cost the same, maybe there might be bosses resistant to magic or something. The summon is in a pretty good position right now in my opinion.

Your Everyday NEET

« Reply #195 on: January 20, 2015, 08:27:20 AM »
TSSB thing
Who ever thought that a very ambitious game could cause a massive controversy and receive backlash from both eastern fans and western fans.
Anyway, I guess I'll make Flandre's summon into a 9999 damage attack that works on everything except
Spoiler:
MetalSlimes
and related enemies. I'm going to keep the TP cost the same, though.
I'm fine with this change, at least this is better than an overly expensive death spell.

Evil_Nazgul0616

• Seg Fault
  • ERROR
« Reply #196 on: January 21, 2015, 03:32:55 AM »
Another update:

So I started work on the Youkai Mountain map, and I decided to add in a sequence break for all of you level-grinders out there. Basically, Youkai Mountain is going to be accessible from the beginning of the game. However, in order to explore it you have to defeat Momiji and her tengu cohort, who will be normally hard to defeat until you clear Chapter 2. However, if you defeat her before Chapter 2, you can access a small portion of Youkai Mountain early. (However, the rest of the mountain is going to remain off-limits until Makai is cleared.)

Here's a screenshot of the Momiji battle: (I couldn't find any tengu sprites, so I'm using palette-swapped Momijis and Ayas (not shown) for now.)
[attach=1]

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #198 on: February 01, 2015, 11:41:13 PM »
No problem, like I said before the skin is very simple so if you get any ideas I'm willing to try them out.
Touhou Fugyouseki ~ Nightmare of Sleeping Girl English Patch
I run a crappy YouTube channel, check it out if you wish~

Evil_Nazgul0616

• Seg Fault
  • ERROR
« Reply #199 on: February 02, 2015, 03:04:13 AM »
Oh look, another test video. Showing more of Youkai Mountain (and it's enemy variety) and a new superboss!

Spoiler:
For those of you who don't know, Zuh is one of the late-game bosses from Final Fantasy Mystic Quest. His stats and most of his moveset are literally pulled straight from the game he comes from. He has less HP than Flandre, but all of his other stats are superior. You will likely not survive an encounter with Zuh if you are ill-prepared.

Take a guess at what reward you get for defeating
Spoiler:
Zuh.

I'm also changing the behavior of Rumia's Moonlit Ray, in the current version it does pretty much the same amount of damage no matter what level Rumia is, making it grow obsolete after a while. The new behavior of Moonlit Ray will deal damage roughly equal to 30% of Rumia's max HP, making it more practical to use. Any thoughts?

Your Everyday NEET

« Reply #200 on: February 02, 2015, 08:23:35 AM »
Take a guess at what reward you get for defeating
Spoiler:
Zuh.
You get
Spoiler:
the Excalibur
of course.

Spoiler:
Still, after you've said that he's from FF Mystic Quest, I can't help but compare the original with your version.
Your version seems to use instant death attack more often than the original. Also, his Hyper Wind are much more powerfull, or is it because you were underleveled?
He's still weak against wind right?
I'm also changing the behavior of Rumia's Moonlit Ray, in the current version it does pretty much the same amount of damage no matter what level Rumia is, making it grow obsolete after a while. The new behavior of Moonlit Ray will deal damage roughly equal to 30% of Rumia's max HP, making it more practical to use. Any thoughts?
That's cool. Can't let Rumia get overshadowed by a mere Rafflesia afterall.

Evil_Nazgul0616

• Seg Fault
  • ERROR
« Reply #201 on: February 02, 2015, 10:48:42 PM »
You get
Spoiler:
the Excalibur
of course.
Close, heh heh heh.

Spoiler:
Still, after you've said that he's from FF Mystic Quest, I can't help but compare the original with your version.
Your version seems to use instant death attack more often than the original. Also, his Hyper Wind are much more powerfull, or is it because you were underleveled?
He's still weak against wind right?
Spoiler:
Yes, he's still weak against wind. (Mystia's Ill-Starred Dive takes out a pretty good chunk of his HP.) And Hyper Wind does so much damage because the party was underleveled for the fight.

Your Everyday NEET

« Reply #202 on: February 03, 2015, 01:09:17 AM »
Close, heh heh heh.
The first thing that came out from my mind after seeing a sword in the stone was
Spoiler:
Excalibur
after all.
Spoiler:
Yes, he's still weak against wind. (Mystia's Ill-Starred Dive takes out a pretty good chunk of his HP.
Spoiler:
Guess Mystia is the MVP against Zuh, provided he didn't hit her with Doom Dance.
Mystia with Laevateinn will kyuu him in no time.

Evil_Nazgul0616

• Seg Fault
  • ERROR
« Reply #203 on: February 07, 2015, 07:15:30 PM »
Yet another update:

Progress is going quite well with the game, Alpha v.4 should be released within the next couple of weeks!
Here's a look at the last boss in the next version. This boss is intended to be quite hard.

And here's a look at something that can happen after you defeat said boss.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 07:45:11 PM by Evil_Nazgul0616 »

« Reply #204 on: February 10, 2015, 09:54:58 AM »
This is a good idea in my opinion, healing 30% HP each use would make it useful and practical when out of potions. However, if you somehow introduce a way to increase HP (besides leveling up), then balance issues can come up. I don't know if Rumia is meant to be a high DPS character (I think she is?), but she has the second highest HP in the party, and having something scale with HP is going to make her a good candidate for a self-sustaining tanky person who can spam items all day long, moving her out of her DPS role. This is going to make players either use bombs on Rumia to boost her offensive stats, or save the money and bombs for others and focus on increasing Rumia's HP somehow. I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing, because diversity within games is always good, but if, say, tanky Rumia were to be completely overpowered (as a result of future HP boosting items) and able to solo bosses only slightly slower than an attack-based Rumia, then what point would there be in boosting Rumia's attack when HP is superior in every way? If this happens, you would have to factor in MAT to the formula and nerf the HP scaling to make sure players still have to focus on MAT for their Moonlit Ray to be any good. Of course, this is probably only going to happen if you allow a way to stack HP like how bombs allow you to stack MAT. At the moment it is fine, as Moonlit Ray is probably never going to be doing more damage than any of the big nukes.
Yet another update:

Progress is going quite well with the game, Alpha v.4 should be released within the next couple of weeks!
Here's a look at the last boss in the next version. This boss is intended to be quite hard.

And here's a look at something that can happen after you defeat said boss.
That last boss fight seems pretty good so far. I like the challenge and how you need Mystia to interrupt Suwako's charge attack. About Suwako's charge attack, though, in the main fight it did about 1.2k to your team, but her
Spoiler:
EX version after you freeze her frogs
only does about 200. I'd think that her
Spoiler:
EX version
would do more damage, especially since it's much easier to interrupt.

Evil_Nazgul0616

• Seg Fault
  • ERROR
« Reply #205 on: February 10, 2015, 02:09:56 PM »
About Suwako's charge attack, though, in the main fight it did about 1.2k to your team, but her
Spoiler:
EX version after you freeze her frogs
only does about 200. I'd think that her
Spoiler:
EX version
would do more damage, especially since it's much easier to interrupt.
The attack actually has the same damage formula for both forms of Suwako. The attack actually does more damage the less HP Suwako has. The reason it did only around 200 damage in the
Spoiler:
EX version
is because the EX version has 3 times as much HP, meaning it takes 3 times longer for the attack to actually do lethal damage. (To compensate for the low damage at high HP, the attack also inflicts slip on anyone who survives.)

Your Everyday NEET

« Reply #206 on: February 11, 2015, 02:44:58 AM »
the EX version has 3 times as much HP
Total damage you inflict to regular Suwako before you got squished flat = 9674.
Estimated Suwako's total HP = between 10000 - 15000
Estimated
Spoiler:
EX Suwako
total HP = between 30000 - 45000.
She's got as much HP as Flandre did.

The moral: kids, don't be a frog torturer in front of a Goddess okay.

Evil_Nazgul0616

• Seg Fault
  • ERROR
« Reply #207 on: February 11, 2015, 03:04:26 AM »
Total damage you inflict to regular Suwako before you got squished flat = 9674.
You actually took the time to calculate that!? 0_o

Your Everyday NEET

« Reply #208 on: February 11, 2015, 04:06:49 AM »
You actually took the time to calculate that!? 0_o
Yeah, and now I wonder why I did exactly that?

« Reply #209 on: February 11, 2015, 09:51:17 AM »
The attack actually has the same damage formula for both forms of Suwako. The attack actually does more damage the less HP Suwako has. The reason it did only around 200 damage in the
Spoiler:
EX version
is because the EX version has 3 times as much HP, meaning it takes 3 times longer for the attack to actually do lethal damage. (To compensate for the low damage at high HP, the attack also inflicts slip on anyone who survives.)

Ah I see. That reference to Frog's Frog Squash in Chrono Trigger :D. I suspected but then thought it must be a coincidence, until you revealed that it does more damage the lower the HP. This is nice, bosses should get stronger when they are lower on health.