Author Topic: Touhou ::smug:: Thread (VIII)  (Read 159169 times)

Re: Touhou ::smug:: Thread (VIII)
« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2010, 09:28:23 PM »
At the same time, it's the way the UFO system works that gives people so much trouble. It flies in the face of normal survival play.

Normal survival play should never be considered "hug the bottom of the screen, get served lives on a silver platter". I completely welcome the more complex life system, and the fact you have to earn them. If people are having a hard time with it, then they're gonna need to lower their expectations or train harder, rather than expecting to be innately awesome.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2010, 09:44:16 PM »
When I say "normal survival play", that's a general term, not just what's expected for UFO. Ignoring how many lives a particular game gives, the bottom of the screen (the rough area, not just the bottom-most line) is usually designed to be a safer area than higher up (this depends on the attack, of course).

To stay on-topic: SA Stage 6 Lunatic, perfect until halfway through "Subterranean Sun", where I died. It's a new best, but obviously I want that perfect run at some point.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Nyyl

• 弾幕に頭脳?馬鹿じゃないのか?
  • 弾幕はパワーだよ
« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2010, 11:11:45 PM »
Phantasm cleaaaaaarrrr~~
It's the most embarrassing, terrible play of phantasm I've ever done, but I cleared it. I used three bombs on one nonspell and died like five times in Danmaku Bounded Field.  I captured Boundary of Humans and Youkai though :D

« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2010, 11:20:38 PM »
Did you save the replay? It's usually nice to watch.

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
  • 90 Frames per Second GO!
« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2010, 11:40:01 PM »
I actually like the UFO system.

*runs away very very fast*

I <3 you.

But now I'm up to... I think 80 scenes cleared in DS? I mean, this is really great right now.

Alice★f

• That uncanny smile...
  • Kuroya Shinobu strikes again
    • TsundereWorks' Mo? Blog
« Reply #65 on: May 03, 2010, 12:04:15 AM »
I actually like the UFO system.

*runs away very very fast*
RUN FASTER

I will Sakuya A your ass.
Spoiler:
All in good humor, of course

================

On Topic:

FINALLY
Stage 4 UFO Only 2 Deaths.

http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=8561

And I'm going to 1cc IN Lunatic soon...

DeviantArtPixivTsundere WorksYoutubeNEW! Liz Triangle's S4U
日本語勉強中 | Touhou Hard Modo Gamer

Nyyl

• 弾幕に頭脳?馬鹿じゃないのか?
  • 弾幕はパワーだよ
« Reply #66 on: May 03, 2010, 12:17:33 AM »
Did you save the replay? It's usually nice to watch.
Indeed. I usually save replays with clears, good scores, and significant captures.
http://replay.royalflare.net/replay/th7_udh542.rpy

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #67 on: May 03, 2010, 01:55:08 AM »
Wait, did I just capture Parasol Star Memories on Lunatic? On my fifth ever attempt at the card?
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Formless God

« Reply #68 on: May 03, 2010, 06:00:12 AM »
UFO is the best. Period. Clipshit doesn't really matter as every shmups has it. And we all know EoSD is clippier.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 06:03:11 AM by Formless God »

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #69 on: May 03, 2010, 06:26:58 AM »
UFO is the best. Period. Clipshit doesn't really matter as every shmups has it. And we all know EoSD is clippier.
aaaaaand your opinion is now null and void on everything

hooray

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #70 on: May 03, 2010, 06:28:55 AM »
For the record, I don't think UFO is nearly as clippy as the pre-MoF games (because the old engine sucks) - I'd say slightly more than MoF/SA (which are barely clippy aside from a few specific attacks), but it's not even close to crippling.

And why that strike in your post? You know it's true. :V

EDIT: Almost forgot. Finally recaptured Illusional Misdirection (Lunatic). I'd say the hardest part for me is being able to read the kunais on the first wave - everything past that seems simpler.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 06:32:46 AM by Funen1 »

Formless God

« Reply #71 on: May 03, 2010, 06:31:27 AM »

hooray

For the record, I don't think UFO is nearly as clippy as the pre-MoF games (because the old engine sucks) - I'd say slightly more than MoF/SA (which are barely clippy aside from a few specific attacks), but it's not even close to crippling.
And why that strike in your post? You know it's true. :V

lumber_of_the_beast

« Reply #72 on: May 03, 2010, 06:46:25 AM »

hooray

"Clippy" is just a weak excuse by players who didn't pay enough attention :smug:

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #73 on: May 03, 2010, 06:53:26 AM »
"Clippy" is just a weak excuse by players who didn't pay enough attention :smug:
Not when the bullet hitboxes are legitimately broken. And yes, there do happen to be some bullets like that in this series.

Bananamatic

« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2010, 07:36:47 AM »
so you've got a hitbox with a hitbox, that's just retarded

« Reply #75 on: May 03, 2010, 08:14:47 AM »

Easily the worst, you just don't know it yet. Why haven't you 1cc'd yet? :V

Yeah. But I only play two to four hours per week.

Excuses, excuses...

Zengeku seems to have improved a lot, unless my memory sucks. Donut is... well, don't give up Donut!

Improved a lot indeed if i should say so myself. And i don't think your memory sucks, when you were around i was a Normal/Hard mode player. - I'm pretty sure. Should better go check...
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 11:55:48 AM by Zengeku the Viking »

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #76 on: May 03, 2010, 02:14:55 PM »
I just captured "The Books" on Lunatic. Admittedly, it looked like the pattern it threw at me was really easy, so I don't know how much of an accomplishment that even was. EoSD is such luckshit sometimes.

Drake

« Reply #77 on: May 03, 2010, 05:58:03 PM »
Aren't the books affected by rank?

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #78 on: May 03, 2010, 06:05:47 PM »
I make a point of restarting if I die anywhere before Patchouli. And the stuff before the books is too easy to warrant bombing.

In other words, I never face the books to begin with if I don't perfect the portions before it.

To stay on-topic: Finally captured Kogasa's last card on Lunatic. And I wasn't even approaching it correctly (I had messed up my movement pattern pretty early).

« Reply #79 on: May 03, 2010, 06:14:19 PM »
Just captured Lunatic Hourai Jewel 3 times in a row in spell practice. Derped the 4th try.

To think even this spellcard is becoming close to easy for me.

« Reply #80 on: May 03, 2010, 06:19:47 PM »
Aren't the books affected by rank?
They are, but rank doesn't mean much where they're concerned.  It's more about where they decide to spawn.  If they all bunch together into a tight spot, the bullets all go straight down and it's easy.  If they scatter all over the screen(which is what usually happens), then it turns into a crisscrossing web of death. :V

« Reply #81 on: May 03, 2010, 06:25:30 PM »
2DNB Mountain of Faith Stage 4 on Lunatic. I was 2 seconds on Peerless Wind God away from Perfect Aya. Pretty cool run still. The other time i died was at Momizi because i got in a pretty poor position with no possible way to dodge. You don't want to get under those rings she fires.

Also yet another perfect Sanae but she is so easy that she is barely worth talking about.

Infy♫

• Demonic★Moe
« Reply #82 on: May 03, 2010, 07:05:31 PM »
cleared extra stages of MS, PCB, IN, PoFV and MoF, and 1cc'd every shooting game on normal.

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #83 on: May 03, 2010, 07:16:41 PM »
I have 1ccd...

• all regular Extras
  • tHRtP and all regular shmups on Hard
  • MoF, EoSD and SA on Lunatic

I also did a perfect Kanako battle once.

I think that's about it.
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

« Reply #84 on: May 03, 2010, 09:55:25 PM »

Very this. Some hitboxes are broken, yes, but it only takes a few hits by them to learn it.

I don't get why people say things like "clippy". Because of how collision detection is preformed in most Shmup games, they are heavily biased towards you living when you probably should've collided with a bullet. If you got hit and died, then you had to have been very definitively nailed. Especially in danmaku games like Touhou and Cave stuff, where shit is so small that you should be getting hit way more than you do anyways.

If you got "clipped", then you should've been paying more attention. Unless clip is just another term for "getting fucking nailed by a bullet", in which case, ignore my shit and carry on.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #85 on: May 03, 2010, 11:05:03 PM »
UFO Extra clear.

Is it just me, or is Nue really damn easy? Took a few tries to learn how to redirect the Red UFOs card, but after I got past that everything else went relatively smoothly.

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
« Reply #86 on: May 03, 2010, 11:41:31 PM »
:toot: TOOT TOOT :toot:
All aboard the easy modo player train

HOW DID I NOT DIE
I DO NOT KNOW
BUT WHO CARES
SUCK IT NAZRIN

Of course now I'm totally getting housed by Rin and Utsuho oh well small victories are still victories   :V

« Reply #87 on: May 03, 2010, 11:41:54 PM »
Except the hitboxes aren't anywhere near as fucked up in the nonUFO games.

My clipdeaths in UFO are because I'm used to the usual hitboxes and that I don't play UFO often because it is a terrible game. I'd rather play Cave's stuff then UFO.

UFO also breaks the shmup rule that all attacks should be dodgeable assuming the player knows what to do. UFO, like EoSD, can randomly just wall you, and you can do nothing about it.

And the power system.

And so many boss attacks are complete luckshit. Kraken Strike(Ichirn in general), Parasol Star Memories, Shou nonspells, Greatest Treasure, Radiant Treasure Gun, not sure about Byakuren as I never fought her on Hard, but I expect even more.

The bullet types used are harder to read. I can be sure I read it something correctly, then I get clipped.

There are only 2 things about the Shou fight that are even fun. Final nonspell and Vajra of Perfect Buddhism.

Udongein

« Reply #88 on: May 03, 2010, 11:55:06 PM »
SoEW Normal 2cc, which is good considering I continued at Mima (fucking bodyslam attack) despite never seeing Marisa or Mima before..

This game is...eh.

EDIT: Made it to Mugetu in LLS Extra.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 12:05:06 AM by LTP »

« Reply #89 on: May 03, 2010, 11:58:21 PM »
I don't really have much of an opinion on UFO either way anymore.

How's that for an accomplishment.  Motherbitches 8)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 12:06:03 AM by Azinth »