Author Topic: Touhou ANGRY RAGING SMASH SMASH Thread #6  (Read 161657 times)

Bananamatic

Re: Touhou ANGRY RAGING SMASH SMASH Thread #6
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2010, 01:48:34 PM »

Sasha can solve only so many things, and Patchouli isn't one of them :ohdear:

Eh? Patchouli is my favourite boss of the game, honestly.
Try Lunatic. I didn't really have any problems with her until Hard, but she reaches a whole new level of bullshit on Lunatic.

I've perfected Hard patchouli several times on serious runs.
Lunatic? Would make even Kenshiro cry.

EoSD isn't the Touhou you're precisely going to love, given its randomness and tendency to wtfwall you
funnily enough, the later touhous are memoryfests
PCB might be my favorite one...but I didn't play any touhous in a week now.

now Baity

I don't ever remember being bs'd by hitboxes in a non-touhou shmup or attacks being stupidly hard. They are either manageable or hard, but fair.
Touhou has too many of these "oh come on" moments.

Quote from: Baity
the very first thing I'm going to do is demonstrate how to do NDL. Seriously, it's the easiest thing Patchy has.

Baity
Baity

That's like Chuck Norris coming and telling us "oh karate is so easy, I'll show you how to kick ass tomorrow"

Jaimers

• You just did it because you're older than me.
« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2010, 02:05:21 PM »
I know that much on stage 4, I was referring to the streaming crap before the final fairies in it. You can't kill them before they wall you. And there seems to be no way to avoid walling.

Umm, go underneath and stream towards the falling enemies? They always appear in the same spots.

Cirno shotgun

Misdirect the first shot to the left, tap, tap and your done. The tip is aimed. The rest is not.

NDL OH NOES

This can be done the same way everytime without any walling happening. It just takes some time to figure it out.

Seriously, you people are complaining about the most trivial of things lately. :|

EDIT:
Here's where I learned pretty much everything about EoSD lunatic.
Although some points are a bit outdated.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 02:37:25 PM by Jaimers »

Formless God

« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2010, 02:22:55 PM »
How about something not trivial maybe.
HOURAI EFFIN' JEWEL LUNATIC.
Is it just about making a huge dash whenever there's enough space, then switch direction and fit myself into that tiny gap between the rice bullet waves ?
0/61 -ragequit. This and Scarlet Gensokyo are the only last spells I haven't cleared.

P.S. Patchy is the worst S4 boss ever.
But S4 bosses suck in general anyway :V

SupahVee1234

• Koishi isn't cute
  • would you like some deathbomb
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2010, 02:27:18 PM »
I SWEAR IF THE HITBOX WAS A PIXEL SMALLER I WOULDN'T HAVE DIED FAgd<hfngdhfcvkmb,lj

DgBarca

• Umineko fuck yeah
  • Spoilers ?
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2010, 02:44:22 PM »
So...lately I have see a huge decrease of my skills in touhou game, Now that I beaten EoSD Hard, I can't do anything, during the 1cc, I always get bodyslammed by a random fairy in stages 1, or I got strangely attracted into the bullet (no not SA), but ON ANY DIFFICULTIES ! As well in easy than in lunatic or extra !
Ho and, I tried Flandre just now, Game Over at counter clock, I loose all my lives with bombs in stock, and it seems that I have loose my capacity to use diagonally movement, seriously, arghfsdhgfsghqqsdqsdsqddsd
[21:16] <redacted> dgbarca makes great work
[21:16] <redacted> i hope he'll make a full game once

« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2010, 02:56:57 PM »
Why are there lasers in a bullet-hell game?

Jaimers

• You just did it because you're older than me.
« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2010, 03:02:48 PM »
How about something not trivial maybe.
HOURAI EFFIN' JEWEL LUNATIC.
Is it just about making a huge dash whenever there's enough space, then switch direction and fit myself into that tiny gap between the rice bullet waves ?
0/61 -ragequit. This and Scarlet Gensokyo are the only last spells I haven't cleared.

P.S. Patchy is the worst S4 boss ever.
But S4 bosses suck in general anyway :V

The trick with this card is that you have to switch directions when the bullets pause bouncing from the sides of the screen (listen to the sound of the bullets bouncing).
However, the timeframe to do this is pretty small and it's quite tricky. If you switch sides at the wrong time, it will likely result in death(bomb).
Yes, it sucks I know.

Why are there anchors in a bullet-hell game?  :V

« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2010, 03:03:16 PM »

They ain't lasers, they are SUPERFAST AND SUPERDENSE GATHERINGS OF BULLETS

Helion

• I am the very model of a scientist salarian
« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2010, 03:10:08 PM »
k how do i dont clipdeathed parsee's opener

DgBarca

• Umineko fuck yeah
  • Spoilers ?

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2010, 03:43:18 PM »
ITT NDL raeg

seriously, wut

NDL is the one thing Patchy has that I can reliably do on any difficulty.  Her Lunatic spellcards may smack me around like everyone else (or more so, since I suck at Touhou), but NDL is really, really simple.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Silent Harmony

• Everybody needs the Pharmarcy
  • Justice never dies!
« Reply #71 on: February 22, 2010, 04:17:14 PM »
Speaking of NDL rage, I once spent about 30mins-1hr a few weeks ago studying videos and making a page-long note on the spell (with diagrams), which brought it down from a bomb-fest to 1-bomb on my first try.

I haven't played EoSD since then, so I don't have it memorized.

I've now lost those notes.

;_:

1CC List (all shmups)
League of Legends / Battle.net: Harmony11(#1694)

« Reply #72 on: February 22, 2010, 08:06:14 PM »
NDL isn't too hard to figure out. Its not like you have to remember a complex path of movements. Just what order you have to make your movements.

I don't have any Patchy complaints. She is very fun but hitbox sizes of bubbles screws me over a lot on Emerald Megalith and Bury in Lake... not too much the latter.

EDIT:
Here's where I learned pretty much everything about EoSD lunatic.
Although some points are a bit outdated.

Oh yes, i remember that LP. Awesome stuff. Apparently made back when the post-midboss Sakuya part was considered bullshit... and when people complained about Hong's first spellcard. No wonder Kefit was the first to 1cc that thing in the west. (AFAIK)

« Reply #73 on: February 22, 2010, 08:13:35 PM »
People have trouble with Non-Directional Laser?  ???

DgBarca

• Umineko fuck yeah
  • Spoilers ?
« Reply #74 on: February 22, 2010, 08:29:19 PM »
Cirno opener => Rage quit and retry (lunatic)
I...I...die...ON NIGHT BIRD NOOOOOOOOOO SHAME ON MY FAMILY TT____TT
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 08:31:51 PM by DgBarca »

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #75 on: February 22, 2010, 08:45:17 PM »
I don't ever remember being bs'd by hitboxes1 in a non-touhou shmup or attacks being stupidly hard. They are either manageable or hard, but fair2.
Touhou has too many of these "oh come on" moments3.
1. EoSD is the only one with "inconsistent" hitboxes; if ZUN decided to change the size of the bullets from game to game, then :dealw(ry
2. Elaborate "stupidly hard" for me.
3. Actually, let me try putting 2 and 3 together. You're saying the attacks in Touhou aren't fair, and have some form of "fake" difficulty in them, right?

That's like Chuck Norris coming and telling us "oh karate is so easy, I'll show you how to kick ass tomorrow"
I'm not "one of the best" at Touhou, really. Really, I might be part of the upper %age of the players that 1cc'd UFO Lunatic (guesswork), but there's a hueg gap between me and the "superplayers" (yukarin, AM, HS, Kagamin [or w/e he uses now], etc.).

Playing in the morning, I'm doing fine at this point but there were panic moments where a bomb wasn't even needed. So in other words, I'm looking something like this:

(;一_一)

While trying to play. All I see are basically blurs on the screen. That, and I don't normally use Marisa so controlling is awkward for me.

EDIT: And this is the result.

What did you expect me to do? Try and pull a GIL? (Oh, and deathbombs counts as deaths despite not actually dying)

Anyway, the replay contains Cirno "shotgun" demonstration, and NDL demonstration for the interested. Tip: Use the Vsync patch to speed through the replay. Though, watching Kefit's LP should've been enough for you already.

People have trouble with Non-Directional Laser?  ???
Apparently so.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 09:11:30 PM by Baity »
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

Bananamatic

« Reply #76 on: February 22, 2010, 09:18:57 PM »
2. Elaborate "stupidly hard" for me.
3. Actually, let me try putting 2 and 3 together. You're saying the attacks in Touhou aren't fair, and have some form of "fake" difficulty in them, right?
2) Sylphae Horn High Level. DBDB. Cat Walk. BoWaP. BOOKS. Insect Nest. Princess Undine. Midboss Orin. Nazrin Pendulum. Kogasa's bullshit nonspell on Lunatic. Parasol Star Memories. Bone Dry Monster. Anchor spam. Greatest Treasure. Shou's second nonspell. Vajra. Magic Milky Way. Hina's spellcards. Hydro Camouflage. st4 waterfall. Momiji. Peerless Wind God. Overly Bright Guest Stars. Source of Rains. Midnight Anathema Ritual. Yamame's opener. Kanako's opener.
Happy? :V

3) Last EoSD attempt, I had Cirno stay all the way to the right during Hailstorm and I had no way to reach her.

Same for most of EoSD st6(sometimes I perfect until Scarlet Meister, sometimes everything seems impossible)
Patchouli. Why the fuck does she have to flail around like an idiot.
Basically, 1) random movement deciding everything in some stages.
And Hell God Sword is fair AND fun.

Shou's second nonspell. I doubt ANYONE can do it constantly.
UFO st5 final spam.

The difficulty is way too jumpy - it goes from simple streaming to crazy walls, then it feels like Normal. I doubt ZUN did ANY playtesting AT ALL.
Some of the attacks are borderline possible and any normal person would think "okay dude, you went overboard with this, make it a little more possible" but it feels like zun just put up :zundwi: and released the game to piss everyone off.

Jelly Belly

• Magical dessert
  • am i a danmaku now
« Reply #77 on: February 22, 2010, 09:19:59 PM »
Byakuren: Hello there Jelly, I see you've come to defeat me with Marisa B. Mind if I clipdeath you on my last spell card?

Me: Actually I would-

Byakuren: KTHNXBAI!

Jesus hell.... I blame Marisa for having a crappy shot/bomb. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to try again.

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #78 on: February 22, 2010, 09:34:29 PM »
2) BoWaP. Kogasa's bullshit nonspell on Lunatic. Kanako's opener.
The rest may be debatable, but these are definitively no BS. The first one is a very definite pattern that is the same every time and cannot wall you, it is just quite clipdeathy. The seconds one I don't even know what you mean. The only Kogasa nonspell that may prove difficult is the one where the bullets split up into two bullets halfway down, and if you are having problems with that, go up to the point where the bullets actually split and it becomes easy. Kanako's opener is the definition of raw fair dodging difficulty.

I agree on the random movement in EoSD, though.  :V

I doubt ZUN did ANY playtesting AT ALL.
More likely, through many testing runs and actually knowing the code, he worked out a working path early on and thus didn't notice how difficult it is if you don't move in this path. This happens very easily, trust me on this one.

On topic: Why can I do EoSD stage 6 lunatic with only 2 deaths, jet keep dieing and restarting on stage 1 before midboss Rumia?!
Sometimes I get the feeling that my skill behaves like a trigonometric function...
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Bananamatic

« Reply #79 on: February 22, 2010, 09:38:12 PM »
We are talking about Lunatic, right?

Kanako's opener is fucking nuts.

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #80 on: February 22, 2010, 09:43:15 PM »
Finally managed to 1cc EoSD with Reimu and Marisa A and B! Great! Let's go to the extra stage! We made it to Flandre with 3 lives and a full set of bombs! Awesome! Let's lose two lives, both with a full set of bombs on Laevateinn because we don't know how to push left or right on the keyboard! Now let's completely forget what Maze of Love looks like! OH FIDDLESTICKS!

Byakuren: Hello there Jelly, I see you've come to defeat me with Marisa B. Mind if I clipdeath you on my last spell card?

Me: Actually I would-

Byakuren: KTHNXBAI!

I think I lost my last life on the last fifth of Byakuren's final spell cards 4 or 5 times before finally managing to beat her. That led to some rather amusing keyboard-mashing hissy fits.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #81 on: February 22, 2010, 09:43:49 PM »
Obviously.

Kanako's opener is fucking awesome.
Fix'd.
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #82 on: February 22, 2010, 09:48:16 PM »

Kanako's opener is fucking nuts.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #83 on: February 22, 2010, 09:50:06 PM »
2) Sylphae Horn High Level. DBDB. Cat Walk. BoWaP. BOOKS. Insect Nest. Princess Undine. Midboss Orin. Nazrin Pendulum. Kogasa's bullshit nonspell on Lunatic. Parasol Star Memories. Bone Dry Monster. Anchor spam. Greatest Treasure. Shou's second nonspell. Vajra. Magic Milky Way. Hina's spellcards. Hydro Camouflage. st4 waterfall. Momiji. Peerless Wind God. Overly Bright Guest Stars. Source of Rains. Midnight Anathema Ritual. Yamame's opener. Kanako's opener.
I was expecting a lot of these. I'm also surprised that various other Spell Cards didn't appear on this list. Though, you could just be skipping on these. Either way, trend noted. Generally speaking anything that blocks your movement creates "fake" difficulty (read: prone to clipdeath). There are also a few ones that don't sit well with this trend. Kanako's opener for example. Which is the best thing ever; 10-14 seconds of straight up dodging. I don't recommend anything longer because your eyes would start to do strange things  :V

Same for most of EoSD st6(sometimes I perfect until Scarlet Meister, sometimes everything seems impossible)
The only things in Stage 6 which I consider to be unfair are Remi's first, and third SCs. Everything else falls under doable, regardless of where Remi is on the screen. Yes, that includes Scarlet Meister. Though, it's sensible enough to bomb it in an actual run when you're low on resources to prevent failing a 1cc.

Patchouli. Why the fuck does she have to flail around like an idiot.1
Basically, 1) random movement deciding everything in some stages.
And Hell God Sword is fair AND fun.2
1 Because it's the mechanics; I'm fairly sure that a large portion of the non-Touhou shmup bosses also move around randomly as well. Of course, I've also seen bosses move in a fixed path, essentially making it a 100% memofight (obviously; boring).
2 'course. Because the bubbles aren't X-Box hueg  :V

Shou's second nonspell. I doubt ANYONE can do it constantly1.
UFO st5 final spam.2
1>:3
2 If it's fairies, it's raw dodging. If it's the orbs, then that's easy provided you have the "cutting" power.

:zundwi:
I just had the best idea ever.

I blame Marisa for having a crappy shot/bomb.
;_;

Warning - while you were typing 5 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 09:51:56 PM by Baity »
<>

Bananamatic

« Reply #84 on: February 22, 2010, 09:52:27 PM »
Wait, didn't you tell me 1 month ago that you aren't consistent on Shou's second? :V

Jelly Belly

• Magical dessert
  • am i a danmaku now
« Reply #85 on: February 22, 2010, 09:54:55 PM »
Marisa B!
Marisa A is great.
[EDIT]: See Baitys message.

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #86 on: February 22, 2010, 09:56:23 PM »
Wait, didn't you tell me 1 month ago that you aren't consistent on Shou's second? :V
That's 1 month ago. This is now. With Broken!ReimuA, I have a 70% survival rate.

Also, I planned on making subtle references to other players, but I decided not to in that post  :V

Marisa B!
Marisa A is great.
;_;
<>

Bananamatic

« Reply #87 on: February 22, 2010, 09:57:49 PM »
That's 1 month ago. This is now. With Broken!ReimuA, I have a 70% survival rate.
So it's fixed or something?

also 70% ain't consistent broski
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 10:02:29 PM by Bananamatic »

DgBarca

• Umineko fuck yeah
  • Spoilers ?
« Reply #88 on: February 22, 2010, 10:03:15 PM »
I 1cc UFO normal with SanaeA to unlock extra...and it didn't unlock, I rage

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #89 on: February 22, 2010, 10:10:17 PM »
So it's fixed or something?
Semi-random laser alignment. The "aiming" of the ring(s) of bullets is / are also bounded between a fixed arc based on the third set of lasers. On a first impression, you (or anybody really; including myself at one point) would think it would be BS because the "space" you're given is quite small and restricting.

also 70% ain't consistent broski
If it's not consistent then what is it? Because I think 70% is quite consistent.
<>