Author Topic: Touhou Labyrinth discussion thread  (Read 318107 times)

Re: Touhou Labyrinth discussion thread
« Reply #510 on: December 19, 2009, 07:15:16 AM »
Dark side of the moon ignores mnd completely. Asteroid belt doesn't. Neither does silent selene. Alas, patchy's magic combined with silent selene is so damn strong it sure seems like they have no mnd >=P.
What's with this game making everyone I generally don't care for awesome? >.> Chen is forgivable but RUMIA? Bah...

"What do you mean 'stop repeating everything you say'?"

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #511 on: December 19, 2009, 07:39:18 AM »
What's with this game making everyone I generally don't care for awesome? >.> Chen is forgivable but RUMIA? Bah...

Rumia isn't awsome. Her first spell is just strong, and the second one ignores mnd. But the second one is very weak. People just recommend having her around for enemies that take 0 damage from virtually everything (that's what rumia is good for). Those same enemies should get pwnt easily enough by silent selene though. Most of the "I take zero damage from almost everything" enemies tend to be weak against nature, so you're golden if you have someone with a nature nuke (my personal nature nuker is Kaguya, you don't get her until fairly late, but you don't see enemies that beefy until late).

Touhou Labyrinth OST download!

NOOOOO why ogg. whyyyyy. I don't mind ogg exactly, it's just I was hoping to listen to this on my phone as I go out in 5 mins, which can't play oggs. AGASFDJASJFJH!!!! (reason number 53535 why itunes is a shit program)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 07:42:59 AM by Ghaleon »

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #512 on: December 19, 2009, 07:47:47 AM »
You can use this converter to get it to whatever format you want. Be warned that you might lose some quality, file naming and tags.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #513 on: December 19, 2009, 08:35:24 AM »
You can use this converter to get it to whatever format you want. Be warned that you might lose some quality, file naming and tags.
Yeah I'm pretty sure audacity will do the trick, it's just I had to get out the door in like 5 mins and didn't have the time >=P. But thanks for the tip anyway.

« Reply #514 on: December 19, 2009, 08:37:11 AM »
Next problem: There are supposed to be 4 spirits to kill on floor 8 for someone on floor 7 to join me. However, I can't seem to find the last one, and I have the whole map explored with every event flag accounted for.

EDIT: Nevermind, there were a couple nooks and crannies. Still can't find the 7th floor event for
Spoiler:
Nitori
though, which is probably needed to unlock the floor 8 random encounter if the first page is to be believed.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 08:41:54 AM by AlexX »

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #515 on: December 19, 2009, 08:42:58 AM »
EDIT: Nevermind, there were a couple nooks and crannies. Still can't find the 7th floor event for
Spoiler:
Nitori
though, which is probably needed to unlock the floor 8 random encounter if the first page is to be believed.

Might not be accurate, but I think she was on the left side of the map, bottom left to be specific. Mind you that might have been the floor 8 location, I don't really remember exactly >=(.

« Reply #516 on: December 19, 2009, 09:03:38 AM »
Might not be accurate, but I think she was on the left side of the map, bottom left to be specific. Mind you that might have been the floor 8 location, I don't really remember exactly >=(.
Yeah, you're right.

I compared my map to the one on Page 14... There was an additional event marker in the bottom-left of my map that was not marked on that map. Thus, that has to be her location~

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #517 on: December 19, 2009, 09:39:58 AM »
pawnted double hibachi, 5 stars. wewt.. Too bad the mini boss on floor 21 still 1shots me. blahhh...Kinda upset I got nothing at all for the bloodstained seals except for a star though =(

« Reply #518 on: December 19, 2009, 10:42:08 AM »
I did it again...

I explored almost the entire maze of floor 9, only to forget to leave to save (even after getting the dang checkpoint) and have to face you-know-who and her reinforcements.

Amusingly I was actually doing pretty well, despite only having access to 6 characters. I managed to get her to waste several turns having to resummon all her reinforcements by taking them all out before her turn came, but sadly, without enough characters in reserve I was unable to get enough TS back to keep up doing it... I'm sure I was close too, since she was forced to use her self-buff before summing again before I died.

I made sure to quit and save the second time around, though Floor 9 is still really obnoxious with all those long corridors that will almost always lead to a dead-end with nothing there. =/

On the spoiler side of things...
Spoiler:
Ran, Eirin, and Reisen have really "ugh" portraits... Which sucks, because the're some of my more preferred members of the cast. Nitori's is a lot better, and even if she is terrible I'll probably try to take her out for a spin anyways since she's another favorite.

Dark Shikari

« Reply #519 on: December 19, 2009, 03:51:34 PM »
Hmm, you had issues with her?  I did the exact same thing--and at the start of the level I was getting completely owned by Nitori (took me about half a dozen tries to beat her), and despite being at half mana and unable to switch out Marisa due to TP issues, I still managed to beat
Spoiler:
Reisen
with a pretty decent buffer at the end, just by flooding her with area effect spells.  She spent almost every single turn just resummoning her reinforcements.

It was pretty much a game of "how many times can I use Royal Flare, Knockout In Three Steps, Master Spark, Asteroid Belt, Little Legion, etc, in the shortest period of time".

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #520 on: December 19, 2009, 06:49:54 PM »
Komachi is a really nice meatshield, but is it worthwhile to buy defense stats for her?

Edit: Team and gear advice on 14F bitch (the one directly south of the waypoint) needed. Everyone is packing 1 anti-DTH ring. What else do I need? My levels are around 60 with heaviest investment in Patchy, Yuugi and Komachi for stats.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 08:45:05 PM by Pesco »

« Reply #521 on: December 19, 2009, 09:40:06 PM »
Hmm, you had issues with her?
As I said, I only had access to 6 characters at the time (counting both active party and reserve). Had I had access to even just 2 more characters I'd have most likely been able to beat her, but alas, I was already low on resources by the time I reached the fight. Naturally, when I came back with the full party of 12 I completely tore her apart.

« Reply #522 on: December 19, 2009, 09:42:47 PM »
Any advice for building the new characters from 12F up to 14F, or comments on whether they are useful at all?
Spoiler:
(That would be Eirin, Reisen, Mokou, Orin, Suika, and Yuyuko).
I haven't touched any of them yet.

Hmm, you had issues with her?  I did the exact same thing--and at the start of the level I was getting completely owned by Nitori (took me about half a dozen tries to beat her), and despite being at half mana and unable to switch out Marisa due to TP issues, I still managed to beat
Spoiler:
Reisen
with a pretty decent buffer at the end, just by flooding her with area effect spells.  She spent almost every single turn just resummoning her reinforcements.

It was pretty much a game of "how many times can I use Royal Flare, Knockout In Three Steps, Master Spark, Asteroid Belt, Little Legion, etc, in the shortest period of time".

A note on the 9F boss (mentioned earlier in the thread, but some people may have missed it): if you beat her without killing any of her underlings, she drops a Getitup V, which gives 30% to all non-hp/sp stats. It's well worth getting.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 09:47:07 PM by Functorial »

« Reply #523 on: December 19, 2009, 10:01:15 PM »
Would you guys know if Chen's Phoenix Wing Spread targets MDef or PDef? It does a surprisingly large amount of damage to enemies with high defense, but at the same time it does way too much damage to be based on her inferior magic stat.

A note on the 9F boss (mentioned earlier in the thread, but some people may have missed it): if you beat her without killing any of her underlings, she drops a Getitup V, which gives 30% to all non-hp/sp stats. It's well worth getting.
NOW you tell me... >.>

Milkyway64

• I AM A MAD SCIENTIST. KIND OF.
« Reply #524 on: December 19, 2009, 10:15:49 PM »
Would you guys know if Chen's Phoenix Wing Spread targets MDef or PDef? It does a surprisingly large amount of damage to enemies with high defense, but at the same time it does way too much damage to be based on her inferior magic stat.

It uses attack and pierces defence, I think.

Very useful. I like to, if doing a suicide run with her or random battle, use that instead of Flying Idaton on her last possible turn before the enemy would move.

« Reply #525 on: December 19, 2009, 10:44:15 PM »
It uses attack and pierces defence, I think.

Very useful. I like to, if doing a suicide run with her or random battle, use that instead of Flying Idaton on her last possible turn before the enemy would move.
If a boss has more than one enemy I'll use the self-buff and then use Phoenix Wing Spread to try and deal as much damage to them all as possible. If its a lone boss I use Flight. Either way she manages to smack enemies around pretty well, so I doubt I'll be dropping her anytime soon (which is probably how she managed to become my save screen character).

Milkyway64

« Reply #526 on: December 19, 2009, 11:31:04 PM »
I have discovered how to do floor 20 right.

Spoiler:
Flandre
+
Spoiler:
Rinnosuke
= 1-2shotting every encounter that isn't the Norns.

Chaore

• Kai Ni Recipient Many Years Late
  • You Finally Did It, Kadokawa.
« Reply #527 on: December 19, 2009, 11:37:38 PM »
Alternatively, Almost every hard hitter you've had before hand. :V

Graph

• Let's go, Trombe!
« Reply #528 on: December 19, 2009, 11:55:26 PM »
Any advice for building the new characters from 12F up to 14F, or comments on whether they are useful at all?

Reisen is the only one I've tried using much, so far.  All-stat debuff looks nice at first but there's a lot of catches.  First, the bosses after you get Reisen generally seem to be more resistant to stat debuffs.  They still work from time to time but you only get in 15% downs at random, the attack itself doesn't do significant damage, and Reisen is pretty fragile so you don't get many chances before you're forced to swap her out due to taking too much damage.  Debuffs work every time on Mokou and a certain boss on F15, though in the latter case if you use speed down be ready to take a fairly strong all-party attack.

Overall I would say not really worth it.  Maybe there's some more special cases later?

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #529 on: December 20, 2009, 12:22:03 AM »
Apparently, 12F optional bitch instantly comes out of PAR and gets a full action bar out of nowhere once its time for her to use Resurrection (which will dispel debuffs on her as well), and then murder you with her 0hko party attack.

Aside from being lucky enough to switch in Marisa fast enough to cast a Master Spark(which seems impossible), am I just supposed to pray to god I land PAR on this boss after she uses Resurrection and hope I can keep it on her until she dies? This works pretty well until she gets to Resurrection, but afterwards...
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

« Reply #530 on: December 20, 2009, 12:28:17 AM »
Apparently, 12F optional bitch instantly comes out of PAR and gets a full action bar out of nowhere once its time for her to use Resurrection (which will dispel debuffs on her as well), and then murder you with her 0hko party attack.

Aside from being lucky enough to switch in Marisa fast enough to cast a Master Spark(which seems impossible), am I just supposed to pray to god I land PAR on this boss after she uses Resurrection and hope I can keep it on her until she dies? This works pretty well until she gets to Resurrection, but afterwards...

Try buffing Marisa's speed up before switching her in to cast Master Spark. You could also try Cirno's speed debuff, which always hits. The boss only has about 80k hp after Resurrection, so one Master Spark should be enough.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #531 on: December 20, 2009, 12:36:17 AM »
Try buffing Marisa's speed up before switching her in to cast Master Spark. You could also try Cirno's speed debuff, which always hits. The boss only has about 80k hp after Resurrection, so one Master Spark should be enough.
Unfortunately, Resurrection dispels debuffs, so that -50% speed goes away. Unless Cirno acts quickly after resurrection and isn't the first, (1st switches in Marisa) its too late for that to help.

Also, that means I'll either have to bring in Aya (who I have spent 0 skill points on so far) or have 8F second optional use several turns buffing Marisa... although at least that means Marisa can attack instead of concentrating. But blah, that's going to make it much harder to keep the boss in PAR most of the time and still deal good damage without putting my party in massive risk.

I think I'll wait until after I beat 16F to do this. I wonder if 14F optional character or the Cattleya/Lily Sigil Guardians might be better to do first...
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 12:47:32 AM by NeoSerela »
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

« Reply #532 on: December 20, 2009, 12:46:19 AM »
Unfortunately, Resurrection dispels debuffs, so that -50% speed goes away. Unless Cirno acts quickly after resurrection and isn't the first, (1st switches in Marisa) its too late for that to help.

I think I'll wait until after I beat 16F to do this. I wonder if 14F optional character or the Cattleya/Lily Sigil Guardians might be better to do first...

I had Cirno out when the boss used Resurrection; maybe I was lucky. I used Sakuya to buff Marisa's speed.

FYI, the Japanese wiki recommends a level of 60-65 (for Reimu) for the boss fight.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #533 on: December 20, 2009, 12:48:26 AM »
I had Cirno out when the boss used Resurrection; maybe I was lucky. I used Sakuya to buff Marisa's speed.

FYI, the Japanese wiki recommends a level of 60-65 (for Reimu) for the boss fight.
Lucky. And I totally forgot about Sakuya, she's been benched for quite awhile ^^;

And damn, I was worried I wasn't high lvled enough, but my Reimu is 66 right now. However, I'm still happy because I spent several minutes with only Tenshi and Marisa left fighting 14F optional, just having Tenshi tank while switching Marisa in and out whenever she can Master Spark. lolwat. Really pretty boss fight~

[EDIT]Holy crap 14F optional bitch's has expensive skills. Is she useful? I like her, so it'd be cool if I can use her, but if she's not really nice I'd rather keep my characters that already have lots of skill points in them.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 12:52:50 AM by NeoSerela »

« Reply #534 on: December 20, 2009, 12:48:59 AM »
Argh... Fricking Alice. I spent ages trying to take her down without buffing using skill points. My aim was to run through the game without using skill points but its getting harder not to use them. However, even with the team average at 18/19 I just couldn't do it. Meiling and Patch kept getting hit with PAR/SIL at the same time forcing many restarts. If that didn't do it, Little Legion did.

I managed to beat her by dumping all my skill points into Patch's MAG and having her nuke everything on the board (go go 1300 MAG) but surely there has to be a way to beat her without needing to buff with skill points or gross overlevelling.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #535 on: December 20, 2009, 12:52:08 AM »
Spoiler:
(That would be Eirin, Reisen, Mokou, Orin, Suika, and Yuyuko).
I haven't touched any of them yet.

Spoiler:
Eirin's not bad.  Her ability to use Hourai Elixir is awesome support, especially for Komachi - and she's fairly resilient for a healer thanks to decent HP, DEF, MND, and affinities.  Also Astrololical Entombing can actually do some serious damage.  You'll want to buff up her SP some, but other than that, most of her stats are already pretty good but can still benefit from some extra skill levels.

Komachi is a really nice meatshield, but is it worthwhile to buy defense stats for her?
No.  Her DEF and MND are so terribly low that even if you do level them up you'll barely be getting any significant difference.  You're better off just pumping up her HP and possibly her affinities further.
Argh... Fricking Alice. I spent ages trying to take her down without buffing using skill points. My aim was to run through the game without using skill points but its getting harder not to use them. However, even with the team average at 18/19 I just couldn't do it. Meiling and Patch kept getting hit with PAR/SIL at the same time forcing many restarts. If that didn't do it, Little Legion did.

I managed to beat her by dumping all my skill points into Patch's MAG and having her nuke everything on the board (go go 1300 MAG) but surely there has to be a way to beat her without needing to buff with skill points or gross overlevelling.

You're supposed to use Skill Points.  Seriously.  Let me put this in perspective: 33 levels in a skill (Which you will probably start hitting in key skills as soon as floor 8-9 at least) is equivalent to an extra 100% on your base stat.  Where I am, at floor 14, most of my characters have about 100-120 skill levels in total between all their stats, which is a huge total difference compared to how they would be if I didn't spend it.

« Reply #536 on: December 20, 2009, 01:26:47 AM »
You're supposed to use Skill Points.  Seriously.  Let me put this in perspective: 33 levels in a skill (Which you will probably start hitting in key skills as soon as floor 8-9 at least) is equivalent to an extra 100% on your base stat.  Where I am, at floor 14, most of my characters have about 100-120 skill levels in total between all their stats, which is a huge total difference compared to how they would be if I didn't spend it.
Damn. I guess the game doesn't lend itself to bare minimum runs.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #537 on: December 20, 2009, 01:40:41 AM »
Damn. I guess the game doesn't lend itself to bare minimum runs.

That's -why- there's skill points - so you can make the most out of the experience you gather without having to grind too much more, because the skill points can add significant amounts to your stats.  Also, the game makes levelling itself optional - you're not auto-levelled afterall.

Beside that, the game is hard enough as is - nevermind trying to play it with extra restrictions on your first time around.  Seriously, Alice was a piece of cake compared to the overwhelming difficulty of some later fights.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 01:42:32 AM by Garlyle »

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #538 on: December 20, 2009, 01:49:28 AM »
God, I just spent a crapload of time basically soloing  14F red-hair optional with 10F optional. With at least 15% left on her self-buff, she was invincible, so I just sat there focusing and using her weak skills.

Okay, at this point in the game, its really hard to tell who is useful and who isn't without actually giving them lots of skillpoints and some good equipment, and using them for awhile. So, what are opinions on
Spoiler:
Mokou, Kaguya, Flandre, Yukari(<--- Don't have them but should within a day) Orin, and Yuyuko? I don't think I'll use Yuyuko since she has Patchy-grade TP but she looks soo pretty...

Milkyway64

« Reply #539 on: December 20, 2009, 01:55:51 AM »
As of level 135ish with Reimu, I still had the final boss walk all over me. What's the deal with this one? Which order should I take her minions out, and why does the one on the right seem to have more HP than every boss up to this point combined?