Author Topic: Touhou Labyrinth discussion thread  (Read 318074 times)

Milkyway64

• I AM A MAD SCIENTIST. KIND OF.
Re: Touhou Labyrinth discussion thread
« Reply #270 on: December 12, 2009, 10:15:19 PM »
Any elemental weakness I should exploit like nuts? I already know spirit and fire is useless.

Anima Zero

• Captain of the Spear
« Reply #271 on: December 12, 2009, 10:33:21 PM »
Phew, hard part 1 over with.  Acquired optional 10F bitch after taking out some butterflies on the first 10 floors and defeating her in battle.

Took 2 tries to take her down.  First time...oh god party attack wiping all but Meiling (And even then she didn't exactly have much left afterwards).  I was pretty much SOL after the 2nd one came out.

2nd try...outfitted Meiling with some +NTR equips.  Meant that she could survive the party attack with much more health.

Then it was just a matter of praying Patchy didn't get hit while she spammed Silent Selene, swapping her out before the party attack, until the bitch folded.  Only had 3 people left at the end (Meiling, Patchy, and I think Marisa), but a win is a win.

She's got some pretty killer defensive stats.  Maybe not quite so much in the HP department, but still a darn nice tank.

Everything cleaned out treasure and event wise from the puzzle gauntlet aside from the triple boss fight on 12F.

I only tested the fight once to see what kind of attacks they used.

Methinks it's a good time now to enhance everyone's elemental affinities.  Seems like I could use it.  That's why I haven't spent that many Skill Points (166k stored up ATM) so I could have some to play around with if it's needed.

Levels are around 45-47 for most characters with a few at 49-53.
"I never cared about justice, and I don't recall ever calling myself a hero..." Zero, Mega Man Zero 4

Milkyway64

« Reply #272 on: December 12, 2009, 11:07:09 PM »
I won. Barely. She was going all batshit and rolling everyone as I brought them in, Reimu was at 56 HP by herself on the front lines, and I go for a risk by pulling out Marisa with her 164 SP and fire a spark at the last second. Dead.

*dances*

Krimmydoodle

• We must apply more SCIENCE!
« Reply #273 on: December 12, 2009, 11:30:27 PM »
Ran into 7F boss last night.

Fuck.
Whether you're on Easy or you're a Lunatic, be damn proud of your accomplishments.  Don't let anyone convince you otherwise, for it's when you lose faith in your own achievements that those victories become defeats.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #274 on: December 13, 2009, 02:59:31 AM »
So, I couldn't put a dent on the floor 17 trash, so I level up about 2-3 levels on everyone, then I realize I never spent my aformentioned 250k skillpoints yet, which was now approximately 350k. Floor 17 trash isn't so tough anymore >=P derp.

Too bad the floor itself is fairly boring, looks like there are no treasure chests either, bunk.

Quote from: Krim on December 12, 2009, 11:30:27 pm

Ran into 7F boss last night.

Fuck.

Yeah, there are a few bosses like that...and by like that I mean they look exactly the same, and they play the same. They open up super fast with this ungodly powerful flame attack that probably OHKOs most of your dudes, but after that, if you can survive, they are a joke. Just level up or get enough defensive stats so you don't get 1shot by that move, and you can beat the whole fight easily.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 03:01:26 AM by Ghaleon »

Krimmydoodle

« Reply #275 on: December 13, 2009, 03:47:42 AM »
Yeah, there are a few bosses like that...and by like that I mean they look exactly the same, and they play the same. They open up super fast with this ungodly powerful flame attack that probably OHKOs most of your dudes, but after that, if you can survive, they are a joke. Just level up or get enough defensive stats so you don't get 1shot by that move, and you can beat the whole fight easily.

Yeah, that was exactly what I ended up doing.  Boost everyone's fire affinities, survive the initial onslaught, then put Reimu and Minoriko on support duty so it doesn't happen again.

And with the addition of Floor 8, I drop my obsession of traversing the dungeon with no casualties.  Instant death spells?  No thanks.
Whether you're on Easy or you're a Lunatic, be damn proud of your accomplishments.  Don't let anyone convince you otherwise, for it's when you lose faith in your own achievements that those victories become defeats.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #276 on: December 13, 2009, 04:01:19 AM »
And with the addition of Floor 8, I drop my obsession of traversing the dungeon with no casualties.  Instant death spells?  No thanks.
If the random encounter monsters on 8F get a chance to attack you, your doing it wrong. Those

Anyway, any advice for beating 9F optional bitch? I've gotten to the 10-12 floor part and I still can't beat her, blaaaah. Party lv37~39, with Remilia/Patchy/Ran 34 and Chen 42. I've heard she sucks but I still want to at least recruit her, plus she's the last one I have to get in order to get 8F optional. Then again, I have no idea if that one ALSO sucks, but whatever.
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Krimmydoodle

« Reply #277 on: December 13, 2009, 04:30:02 AM »
If the random encounter monsters on 8F get a chance to attack you, your doing it wrong.

I was more referring to Komachi's ghosts as far as the instant death spells, although I lied and ended up reverting to a 10-minutes-earlier save, buffing Youmu's SP, and laying the smackdown before the ghost could land any instadeath spells.

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #278 on: December 13, 2009, 05:07:47 AM »
I don't see what's so hard about 8F. I just love that floor for farming now that I should be moving onto 9F.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #279 on: December 13, 2009, 05:39:57 AM »
In my experience, floors require level grinding more than bosses. Now granted, the required level for a floor is less than that of the boss on the floor, but I mean being 5 levels too low for a boss wont kill you neccesarily, being 5 levels too low for the next floor on the other hand... Only really became noticeable at around floor 13/14 though IMO. Thing is most bosses have low defense and mnd compared to some of the beefier trash, so being weak on trash often results in really really bad damage output on your part comapred to that on a boss.

Milkyway64

« Reply #280 on: December 13, 2009, 08:47:29 AM »
Floor 18 boss is fuuuuuuuuun. It's a speeding beast and one HELL of a tank, but still the funnest battle all game. It's difficult in a fair way, no bullshit party-wide OHKOs as far as I can see. I swear I fought for 20 minutes and had Remilia chip 1 million HP off and it still didn't die, and it all came down to my own curse poisoning poor Remilia to her doom from 10,000 HP.

Trying this again later, with an actual suitable party (No Marisa? In MY boss fights?) and I think I'll have this in one go. Even if not, this battle is intense enough to make me enjoy having to do it again.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #281 on: December 13, 2009, 09:22:34 AM »
Floor 18 boss is fuuuuuuuuun. It's a speeding beast and one HELL of a tank, but still the funnest battle all game. It's difficult in a fair way, no bullshit party-wide OHKOs as far as I can see. I swear I fought for 20 minutes and had Remilia chip 1 million HP off and it still didn't die, and it all came down to my own curse poisoning poor Remilia to her doom from 10,000 HP.

Trying this again later, with an actual suitable party (No Marisa? In MY boss fights?) and I think I'll have this in one go. Even if not, this battle is intense enough to make me enjoy having to do it again.

Just did it, thought it was dissapointingly easy personally. Biggest problem I had was when both china and sanae got silenced in one seal blade (along with patchy)..So yeah, I was kinda useless for awhile there.

Marisa actually was used more this fight than any other for me actually. If the boss picks a form that you aren't really good at (like me and the silence one), master spark it, and you'll reach the next relatively quickly. Still though, the boss has nothing over the floor 16 one >=P

Update: Floor 19 trash isn't all that hard yay...And the EXP it gives made my jaw hit the floor.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 09:57:52 AM by Ghaleon »

Chaore

• Kai Ni Recipient Many Years Late
  • You Finally Did It, Kadokawa.
« Reply #282 on: December 13, 2009, 02:30:34 PM »
Update: Floor 19 trash isn't all that hard yay...And the EXP it gives made my jaw hit the floor.
Wait until you meet Diamond Knights.  :V

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #283 on: December 13, 2009, 02:47:32 PM »
I guess most of you are playing it with the Plus Disk addition.

Those of you who manage to get to the post-game content...

I wish you good luck at the final hurdle at 30F, you will need it. Lots.

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

Chaore

• Kai Ni Recipient Many Years Late
  • You Finally Did It, Kadokawa.
« Reply #284 on: December 13, 2009, 03:23:50 PM »
30F

...lol wut? I thought there were 25 floors.

Anyway, Its a hassle before you even get to the 21st.  :V Damn Stars...

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #285 on: December 13, 2009, 03:42:16 PM »
...lol wut? I thought there were 25 floors.
30. And apparently the recommended level for the secret boss is 600, even though your supposed to get to floor 30F around 200. Maybe doing that affinity maxing thing means you don't have to get all the way to 600? I don't really know, I'm just on 10~12F ^^;

GOD DAMN IT 9F OPTIONAL BITCH WHY WON'T YOU DIE SO I CAN GO TRY TO GET 8F OPTIONAL
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #286 on: December 13, 2009, 03:48:49 PM »
GOD DAMN IT 9F OPTIONAL BITCH WHY WON'T YOU DIE SO I CAN GO TRY TO GET 8F OPTIONAL

The HP numbers seem to me that we're supposed to get to somewhere like 10F before going back for 9F and 8F optionals

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #287 on: December 13, 2009, 03:54:42 PM »
The HP numbers seem to me that we're supposed to get to somewhere like 10F before going back for 9F and 8F optionals
But I did get there :< I'm procrastinating on it because maze across 3 floors auuugh

Ahh well, maybe I should start exploring it then. I can't wait for the Wiki to be updated so I can see if that Suwako I got is worth spending points on and replacing someone, but I don't think she looks worth it, nor Komachi.

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #288 on: December 13, 2009, 03:56:19 PM »
Level 99 MAG Patchy is the way! After that, I'll max Meiling's HP and Remi's ATT.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #289 on: December 13, 2009, 04:03:58 PM »
I took out the 9F optional boss about halfway through my exploration of the maze that starts at 10F; and went back to take on the 8F boss after finding the relay point.

Also, yeah.  The Plus Disk is 21F-30F, but be ready for the necessary grinding to spike like a mofo at 30F.  Just looking at the wiki data, the recommended level for boss 1 of that place is 300... the recommended level for the uber boss, however, is a whopping 600.  So... yeah.  And that's -with- maxing out your affinities and boosting your stats to obscene levels and stuff.  The only reprieve you get is that the enemies on that floor actually make grinding to that ridiculous level feasible... it's still gonna timesink you like a Dragon Quest game does, though.

Also, NeoSerela, those two characters are -great-.

The F7 character has two moves that are wonderful.  One's a row-target move that has the Death property.  Damage is alright on it, but most importantly, it can randomly (And surprisingly frequently) one-shot multiple enemies by inflicting Death.  Not so great for bosses of course, but... for bosses, you have the spell listed after that.  It can inflict four stat downs, PSN, and PAR in one attack.  Even if the attack power on it is crap, its support capability against bosses is ridiculously effective, plus the character's HP is so far through the roof it makes up for her terrible defenses because she just soaks up the damage anyway.

The other character you got is also really powerful; she may be very fragile, but both her ATK and MAG are very very good and she can use either (ATK for one target, MAG for multiple).  Most importantly, though, her first spellcard is an extremely effective Paralyzer - it seems to hit more often (And with a stronger effect) than even Cirno does.

Put the three of these characters together and it's completely possible to keep a boss on practical lockdown while a slower  nuke like Patchy or Y_____ nails em.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 04:11:38 PM by Garlyle »

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #290 on: December 13, 2009, 04:28:15 PM »
The F7 character has two moves that are wonderful.  words

The other character you got is also really powerful; :words

words nuke like Patchy or Y_____ nails em.
Considering how many Touhou Characters have names starting with Y... yeeeah.  :V

So... since 7F person is for DTH and debuff with insane HP, should I be using lvl boosts for HP then so she doesn't die easily while debuffing? Or SP for more skill spam?

Also, 8F person was confusing me because she gets both Atk skills and Mag skills. I don't know what I should use the lvl.up bonuses on.

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #291 on: December 13, 2009, 04:42:08 PM »
Where we spend the levelup bonuses are the main differences between everyone's characters. So what's the build everyone's been going for?

Anima Zero

• Captain of the Spear
« Reply #292 on: December 13, 2009, 04:45:38 PM »
Tried the triple boss again on 12F to see how well I could fare at killing them.

I screwed up royally the first serious attempt and kinda lost it.  Second serious attempt luck decided to be a giant loser and hit specific characters with the worst possible combo of attacks possible.

I'm just gonna grind up some more levels to have better defenses for this fight (Everyone's levels around 45-52 ATM).  That seems to be my current weak point.
"I never cared about justice, and I don't recall ever calling myself a hero..." Zero, Mega Man Zero 4

Graph

• Let's go, Trombe!
« Reply #293 on: December 13, 2009, 05:24:43 PM »
Also, 8F person was confusing me because she gets both Atk skills and Mag skills. I don't know what I should use the lvl.up bonuses on.

I haven't used her much personally, but I would say Atk.  You have better options for party-nuking with magic, especially Marisa and Patchy.  Her main purpose, as I see it, is to do halfway decent damage to bosses while getting an added effect (PAR) from time to time.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #294 on: December 13, 2009, 06:04:13 PM »
For the character with both ATK and MAG, I'd probably say ATK as well.  Alternatively, try to build up her SPD and SP so she can use her skill faster and more often, but that's really up to you.  Really though, I've been using her wonderfully well with both MAG and ATK, but a bit more emphasis on ATK.

For the death-inducer, HP is great to build up as she's got such a ridiculously obscene amount of it.  Maybe some SP and ATK too.  By the way, bosses in the plus disk like to have attacks that completely ignore DEF and MND (Not just reduce it, but IGNORE it flat out) - so your only guard is pure HP.  For that reason, she goes from one of the tanks to -the- tank against certain bosses in the aftergame endgame @_@

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #295 on: December 13, 2009, 07:05:05 PM »
Oh yeah, I beat 9F optional bitch! ...wow, she's an even worse character then you people made her sound. Glass cannon with crappy damage and huge delay. Wat. Well, at least now I get to fight 8F optional bitch's fight Foe thing, finally... *enters battle*

Holy crap it 0hkoed my entire party instantly THATS NOT VERY NICE, YOU MEAN BOSS THING YOU D: Guess I have to finish 10F~12F first.

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #296 on: December 13, 2009, 07:09:51 PM »
Well, they are optional characters for a reason :V

Where the hell do I even begin with 10-12FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF?!?!

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #297 on: December 13, 2009, 07:13:44 PM »
Well, they are optional characters for a reason :V

Where the hell do I even begin with 10-12FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF?!?!
Welcome to the rage.  Look for and turn off all of em at first (Or was it on?) then you should eventually find a relay point on F12.  Once you find that you're most of the way done.  You just need to find the remaining failsafe locks...

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #298 on: December 13, 2009, 07:19:01 PM »
I'm following the wiki. The only gripe is that I may as well map the entire floor first.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #299 on: December 13, 2009, 07:26:41 PM »
Oh yeah, I beat 9F optional bitch! ...wow, she's an even worse character then you people made her sound. Glass cannon with crappy damage and huge delay. Wat. Well, at least now I get to fight 8F optional bitch's fight Foe thing, finally... *enters battle*

Holy crap it 0hkoed my entire party instantly THATS NOT VERY NICE, YOU MEAN BOSS THING YOU D: Guess I have to finish 10F~12F first.

Lol, I was so going to tell you "if you can't beat the 9F boss, I promise you she isn't holding you back from getting the stage 8 character" Alas, I just logged on and was too late >=P.

I personally didn't like either of the 2 mentioned optional characters myself. I find that people really like paralize effects and such, but for me, it really really screws you when they don't work, and they have a habit of not working for me. For example, I'm always told you can keep the far right boss on the triple boss part locked down, she resisted paralize for me like 5 out of 6 times I tried, after that I just said screw this. It's easier just to kill her first anyway.

Seeing thousand fist Khanon more often, it appears to have a fixed amount of damage, much like blowfish or whatever it's called in FF3/6, hits china buffed for 16k, hits patchy for 16k. Always seems to be 16kish.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 03:36:11 AM by Ghaleon »