Author Topic: Genius of Sappherios Zansyo/Weekend  (Read 168204 times)

Genius of Sappherios Zansyo/Weekend
« on: August 27, 2012, 12:33:00 AM »
Serelapony gave me the idea for this. So how about another Genius of Sappherios thread?
Translation thread (If you're having problems with your game)
Old Thread
So, does anyone have a strategy for the second to last dungeon in the expansion?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 10:51:32 PM by Hinacle »

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
Re: Genius of Sappherios Zansyo/Weekend
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 05:10:24 AM »
For the last two EX stages, I worked off a strategy of Alice/Satori/Byakuren/Marisa/-physical attacker- in Hyper Library formation for 40% magic buff on Marisa.

Satori inflicted debilitating statuses mostly (although she had a physical too; which arguably did the same since her last two eyes do charm and charm/control on physical hits. And some support skills.), Byakuren buffs Marisa's magic, and Marisa nukes everything with mystic skills (The ones she gets at late levels are so good... although I think you need like lv92 for the last laser nonspell). Alice is there to tank one of the paper def slots and use defensive skills. And the physical attacker is for things that don't die to magic and also MOAR DAKKA.

Some enemies though are just really hard so I ran.

There's likely a better way to tackle it then this, (Especially since having Marisa at 92 helps it a lot so she has Final Laser, and lv92 is uhm, kind of high) but it worked well enough for me.
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 05:17:37 AM »
Marisa's at 89 so I'll grind for awhile. Are there any enemies i should watch out for?

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 05:36:55 AM »
Ones that look like battlecruiser ships made of angels.

It's just hard to -damage- them is all :T If you can get past that I don't remember them being that bad otherwise. Maybe your fifth member can handle it.

Reisen might be a good idea for a 5th member actually, since Satori can inflict a status and Reisen can slay it, along with her torrent of natural slayers in one of her passive trees.

The other person who takes a paper def slot should be given equipment for physical resists, by the way. Byakuren is a good idea because she doesn't need much else equipped in her accessory slots and gets divine barrier out of her scrolls.
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Barrakketh

• You're suddenly Director of Fixing That Shit!
  • Vice President of It's Your Problem Now.
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 07:11:45 AM »
I should pick up this game again.  I ragequit long ago after another one of those rare, random crashes upon leaving a dungeon (which meant having to collect every damned item again, and losing some rare drops).

If you've converted a GoS savefile to the new engine (started with 2.06, I think) it's compatible with Weekend, right?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 08:18:02 AM by Barrakketh »
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 07:15:25 AM »
If you've converted a GoS savefile to the new engine (started with 2.06, I think) its compatible with Weekend, right?
Pretty sure it is, yes. If it isn't you'd just have to convert it again I guess, but I'm fairly sure those saves work fine as-is.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 08:18:50 AM »
So I plowed through the Muenzuka and Garden Dungeons.
Is, uh, Komachi the only way to get Shinigami Scythe? Or whatever, because I heard she had a Blue Magic Satori can snag, like Iku and Mad Thunder.

Also. Holy hell was the Yuuka-Meddy double boss hard. Took me three or four tries to figure the pattern and gimmick out, the rest was up to luck, hoping Yuuka wouldn't go all USC-Modo.
Once I took her down, I was down to just Mokou and Satori. Mokou shortly kicked the bucket afterwards, but Meddy couldn't do anything to Satori due to Satori being specced for Poison Arts(And thus, immune to Poison). And the fact that she has a Gaea Ring equipped meant that Meddy was doing bugger-all in the way of damage, Satori's regen was clocking 15-30, meddy was barely scraping 9-20.
Just chucked a Crowbar on Mokou, stuck a few points in Axes, and capped Hourai, then let her autorevive do the work for me.
At that point, I could just hit autobattle, go off and make a sammich, and when I came back, she was down for the count.

EDIT: For context, I was around Lv26-28, with a team of Alice, Mokou, Byakuren, Satori, Sakuya, and with Sanae on commander.
EDIT 2: Is it a good idea to farm more than one Sexy Underwear for Byakuren? Because I noted it boosts Control/Charm chance by 25%, wanted to know if it's cumulative, or if it stacks.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 08:21:04 AM by Hanzo K. »
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

Cor

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 01:18:15 PM »
You can get Shinigami's Scythe from enemies in stage 20, 25 and 27. In the past Komachi was the only enemy you could get it from. Took some grinding to get Satori up to level 30 there. :colonveeplusalpha: Not nearly as annoying as having to get Hyper Fang Crusher from Kagami with a 3% learning chance though.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 04:53:35 PM »
Thankfully hyper fang crush is 100% learn rate (with skill points in the learning tree) now, because it's actually a move you'd consider using. Samidare Slash with a higher chance of more hits.

Also, you can't get more then 1 of any equipment in this game. If you, say, upgraded it into something else, you'd be able to get another, though.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 07:07:32 PM »
Oh, so I was wasting my time by grinding off those guys. :colonveeplusalpha:

Also, I seem to have horrid luck on learning skills these days.
I ping the learnproc, but then the enemies do something stupid that forces me to run away, thus losing the proc.
I've lost Earthquake and Samidare Slash that way. :colonveeplusalpha:
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Cor

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 07:13:32 PM »
Happens. I've learned Petro Breath three times while running away.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2012, 07:20:15 PM »
You can learn that? :colonveeplusalpha:
What kinda level do you have to be? Because my Satori's hovering around 26-28, and still no luck.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Cor

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2012, 07:23:58 PM »
Req's level 30.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2012, 07:54:13 PM »
Ah. Guess I'll level up in Eientei.

On that topic, who should be in Team 1, and who should be in Team 2? And are formations different between the two?
If it helps, I've made Mokou's best Knuckle, the Arondight, the Spangled Kindergarten Uniform, Byakuren's best Scroll, the Sorceress Broom for Marisa, and a couple other things, like the Platinum Shield, which is currently sitting on Tank!Alice.
Should I just grind up for enough sunflower seeds and character items to have the best stuff I can get?
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2012, 09:36:37 PM »
The party that goes to the right should be focused on magic, and the one to the left should focus on physical attacks. I find it a good idea to stick Alice in the magic party and Sanae in the physical one; the first can be her usual self not letting anyone die and Sanae's physical skills are actually pretty good for this dungeon.
As for crafting stuff, even though that was made easier in Weekend, I suggest looking at the stats of everything (especially future items) on the wiki and planning accordingly. Some things like a broom for Marisa and a two-handed sword for Sakuya are pretty good, while others like fans for Aya and boots for Alice are not.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2012, 10:14:33 PM »
The only things I've ever made for Alice were the Shanghai Greaves and Sturdy Doll armor, for more Lives/Bombs/HP. Shanghai Greaves gives you 10% more HP after all.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2012, 10:33:43 PM »
Rainbow Greaves are best boots until her ultimate ones, which are rainbow boots but better.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2012, 10:42:08 PM »
I don't have those yet, so Shanghai Greaves will have to do for now.

I've noted that Mokou is surprisingly good with a Spear until you can craft the best knuckle you can get prior to beating Eientei.
I forget what it's called, but it's got 70 power.
Until then, I gave her the White Lance, or the West Peak Silver Sect Spear. She's surprisingly good when you stick points into Rebel/Spears.
Of course, for the fight with Yuuka and Meddy, I had to give her the Crowbar because of the anti-tsukumogami effect.
If I had a sword for Sakuya that also had that property, or Slayer: Youkai, then I would've had an easier time.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 10:45:31 PM by Hanzo K. »
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2012, 10:43:31 PM »
I liked using spears on Mokou for the 2 mp column move in random battle spamming (Mokou and Aya have looow mp, so it's convenient)

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2012, 10:50:03 PM »
I like Imperial Charge/Dragon Wave. WIth enough points in Rebel, they're 5/6 MP, and 0 CD. And Rebel gives you enough MP to spam those like crazy, nevermind that her bombs get stronger. (which up until then, were her best, and just about ONLY source of damage.)

Also, how the fuck does Xu Fu work?
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

HGH

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2012, 12:12:00 AM »
Xu Fu's Dimension is a single target buff that gives regeneration and reraise on its target. If the target gets hit by an attack that should kill it while the buff is up (it's 99 turns though, I believe), they'll retain 1 HP and survive. However, they will lose all other buffs applied to them including this one.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2012, 05:13:53 AM »
Funny, it's never worked for me. Everyone I've given it just dies like normal, no reraise, no pinch survival, nothing.
I'm beginning to wonder if my copy isn't bugged or something.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Cor

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2012, 05:29:24 AM »
It doesn't work on instant death attacks, I think. But yeah, if the regeneration doesn't occur and it doesn't give you that last chance hitpoint you might have a bugged game.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2012, 05:31:34 AM »
They were normal, non-instadeath hits. I should know because I mostly used it during the Garden of The Sun boss.
So far I'm stuck with a useless bomb.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2012, 07:01:06 AM »
Garden of the sun? I'm not sure if it saves you from Poison, which thankfully would be mostly an incredibly situational flaw; very few bosses have it.

If it's not working on completely average attacks, and you're sure you didn't shove it off via more then 5 buffs or it got dispelled or something, then you should report it to TheNewGuy in the translation thread; it's possible the english patch futz'd it up, although that seems like it'd be a strange thing to break indeed. (Although it'd be a good idea to remove the english patch and try it first if you can.)

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2012, 07:16:58 AM »
I was only having Sanae's Takeminakata buff, and Alice's Earth Resist+ buff. Marionette Shield as well, but that's damn near mandatory. Of course, in Satori's case, she also had Hyper Trigger on, so as to stick Yuuka with Toxic.
Which, I must tell you guys, is a very useful means of harming her beyond an Enthunder'd Arondight with Fullmoon Revenge.

Incidentally, Fullmoon Revenge is visually that one combination attack from SaGa Frontier 1 whose name I forget.

EDIT: Of course, the fact that the attacks in question were Reflowering of Gensokyo and Gassing Garden might also be the sticking point.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 07:22:29 AM by Hanzo K. »
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2012, 07:42:58 AM »
Xu-Fu's dimension gives regen and prevents you from dying once. If the next hit would be fatal, you would go down to 1 HP and lose all buffs instead. If this is not happening then you should ask about it.

Depending on your team, Alice may or may not be necessary. I have not used Alice in most of my boss fights and it worked out well.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2012, 08:04:50 AM »
The team in question was Alice, Sakuya, Mokou, Byakuren, Satori, and Commander Sanae.
I was even using Poison Shield, but I guess that's useless on multi-target attacks.

I do like that after a while, Meddy stopped using GG. I suspect she actually ran out of MP, as she just kept using Sweet Poison, and slinging her basic attack.

Nowadays I'm using Sunlight Lunch, that formation you get for beating them. So far it's proving VERY useful with Alice.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2012, 11:25:20 AM »
Stuck at the main last boss (yes again, I lost my save at stage 27)...

My setup :

Spoiler:
Reimu Marisa Mokou Sakuya Satori (Aya)
Alice Youmu Byakuren Patchouli Sanae (Nitori)

I have no problem with team 2 and no survivability problem in team 1 though Mokou Marisa and Sakuya deals crap damages I run out of MP/Bombs when they'r only at 1/2 hps :
Mokou lv58 (One-Shot Punch) > Fujiyama Volcano : 2.7k on Lithos
Sakuya lv57(Orichalcum Dagger) > Jack the Ripper : 600 / hit on Anastasis
Marisa lv58 (Rod of Penitence) > Stardust skills : 500~1700

So I'm farming Yukkuri King I'm aiming lv65 but I doubt they'll deal much more damage.
Why Sakuya doesn't do good damages through almost the entire game and why Mokou deals that low damages, I remember her doing 4k in my first playthrough.

... What am I doing wrong ?

Cor

« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2012, 11:39:39 AM »
Sakuya's better (she's still shit) with a 2h, using Full Moon Revenge. You could give Mokou the Turtlesmasher or whatever axe with slayer on Aquatics and Reptilians. Hope for lots of double crits. And get 15 more levels.