Author Topic: Touhou Rage Thread XII "Stupid Walls of Cussing" Edition  (Read 195611 times)

MMX

• In Soviet Gensokyo...
  • ...bullets dodge you.
    • LiveJournal blog
Re: Touhou Rage Thread XII CAVE Arcade Edition
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2012, 11:01:20 PM »
Oh man. 999721630 score at TD normal with Reimu! I'm getting angry  >:( This is fucking ONE item or one spirit (welp, two items actually) away from freaking billion. Awwwwww :qq:
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 11:55:28 PM by MMX »
My danmakufu thread Most recent - "Kappa Mechanics" (Nitori fight)   My youtube channel Latest update - EoSD extra no bombs clear

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2012, 11:53:10 PM »
My billion pursuits?

Hahahahaha

MoF - 850m
PCB- 700m
TD- 500m
SA- 310m

KLH

• 47 accounts in my account account
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2012, 12:02:31 AM »
Well I think it pointless to throw a party because I perfected Stage 1 of a game or got through Stage 4 or whatever. Personally I don't enjoy celebrating over small things like getting through a stage for the first time because that's not too big of an accomplishment. Anyone can get through a stage. Not many can get through an entire game without continuing.
As a tribute to the name you gave this thread, I strongly recommend that you try to perfect Mushihimesama Futari Ultra Stage 1. Once you do that, try just even getting through Stage 4. Is "getting though a stage for the first time" a small accomplishment? No.
And can "anyone get through a stage"? Again, no. Have the typical person try the stages I mentioned, or the Extra Stages or high-difficulty Stages 5-6 in Touhou; they won't get anywhere.

...I am trying to figure everything out and quite frankly I hate celebrating figuring a spellcard or two out, or any small thing that'll make everyone else go "who gives a shit" on the inside. At least a 1cc as an achievement will be considered for actual congratulation.
Absolutely. Not. True.
Not with what I've seen here and in other places like ShmupsForum. People do actually care about the small things and minor accomplishments. Set yourself against a challenge and people will encourage you along the way.

Touhou, despite what many like to say, is on the whole a very well designed series. Most every death can be placed on your head, and when a death happens, it is generally your fault. So, the key to improvement is to figure out what you are doing wrong.
I haven't played a shmup (or any game for that matter) that WASN'T like this, aside from those games with bugs and other bullshit like input lag. But yeah, in general, failing in a game is usually because of a lack of skill (or not paying attention).

I say you should celebrate the individual accomplishments, no matter how small.
Amen.
Hell, just perfecting a difficult section of a stage is awesome.

This is great advice. "It's not the destination; it's the journey" and all that.
Not necessarily - not if you consider the journey as a bunch of smaller destinations, as others here have pointed out.

Now, finally, something on topic: I'm really pissed that the Touhou games have poor compatibility with newer operating systems, especially since I configured the later Touhou games to play in tate. Now, not only do I have screen tearing (regardless of VPatch), the line is now VERTICAL, which screws up even more of the screen. However, the benefits of playing in tate definitely outweigh this.

2hu is a ghey shooter pl@y COD you f@gs
COD 4 life #swag #yolo #360noscope #lensflare #Skrillex
Main YouTube Channel
Main Reupload Channel

MTSranger

• =.=
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2012, 12:35:13 AM »
WHYYYYYYYYYYYYY UFO WHYYYYYYYYY
Now I can't even get a decent run pass stage 2.
Seriously, wtf is up with this game. 1 UFO mistake and everything, EVERYTHING is screwed.
Because I collected that wrong UFO, I couldn't summon UFO to cancel bullets at the right time.
Because I have to bomb to cancel bullets instead of UFOs, I used up my bomb and couldn't bomb to collect the next UFO.
Because I couldn't collect the next UFO, I die in the next section, having no bombs and no UFOs for bullet cancelling.
Because I died in that section, the UFO ran too far away, and when it finally get close so I can grab it, it's too late.
Losing lives and bombs instead of gaining lives and bombs, all for 1 UFO mistake.
Can this game be any more unforgiving.

Chuckolator

• ex-perfecter, good times
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2012, 12:37:42 AM »
Speaking of which?

Tried to get to stage 5 in UFO Hard without continuing. Dropping Anchor captured, Sinkable Vortex captured somehow, Ghost Ship's Port bombed once, died with 0.5 seconds left on Dipper Creeping Close with unused bomb.

It's a stage 5 run in my mind.
Aiming to perfect every stage in Touhou. loljk don't care anymore You can find my perfects here or here.
Best perfects so far include UFO 6, MoF 4 and IN 6A.

formerly known as Seiga Kaku

« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2012, 01:46:43 AM »

DIE.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 02:32:16 AM by Malkyrian »

XephyrEnigma

• :|
  • XephyrEnigma
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2012, 01:58:08 AM »
Iced-Fairy: "Danmaku is like soccer, except instead of hooligans you get fairies and the riot is before the game." 

My YouTube channel where I often screw about - Latest Upload: IN Border Team Easy Clear

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2012, 02:01:53 AM »
Not necessarily - not if you consider the journey as a bunch of smaller destinations, as others here have pointed out.

And by that you mean myself included, I take it.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2012, 02:09:24 AM »
Learning how to clear one hard spell card is just as much an achievement as consecutively clearing every attack of a boss

Yeah, no. Not in the slightest. I can see where you're coming from, feeling empowered, but in lines of major achievement (Which is what I care more for, not trying to sound like a condescending ass), it's not that much. You learned how to do one of the 60 or so spellcards in a video game on one difficulty. Go you. Again, not trying to sound like an elitist jerk (And you don't need to tell me that I do), I'm just saying for the sake of getting my point across.

PS: Looking forward to see Esu in the help thread and those replays that he never seems to upload.

Shut up I don't have a habit for saving replays of absolute failure
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 02:11:32 AM by Esupanitix »
My profile picture is whimsy until I feel like adding something else.

Enjoy.

Tengukami

« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2012, 02:20:34 AM »
Yeah, no. Not in the slightest. I can see where you're coming from, feeling empowered, but in lines of major achievement (Which is what I care more for, not trying to sound like a condescending ass), it's not that much. You learned how to do one of the 60 or so spellcards in a video game on one difficulty. Go you. Again, not trying to sound like an elitist jerk (And you don't need to tell me that I do), I'm just saying for the sake of getting my point across.

But it does sound elitist. A 1cc is a series of successfully masted spellcards. Take it a spellcard at a time and maybe you won't rage so much.

Oh hey, I think I see why you keep failing. People learn from mistakes. Most of my replays are of my failures. Why? Because in watching them again I see them and say "Oh my god THAT'S what I did wrong!" and learn. You say you already know what you did wrong? I bet you don't. Seriously, save replays of your failures, and I will guarantee you that you will see things you did wrong that you never considered.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2012, 02:21:58 AM »
Care to explain?
Stage 5 boss of Marine Benefit and reason I haven't beaten the game on Lunatic yet. She's quite reasonable on Normal, in fact I've even perfected her there, but on Lunatic...

Bullshit first spell, bullshit second spell, bullshit third nonspell, and a survival that makes absolutely any canon survival card you could name look like a joke in comparison.

And this was one of my better runs against her, in that I "only" bombed her second card twice and "only" lost a life and 2 bombs to the survival. Also managed to cap her third spell. Its actual name is Yomeishu "Eau-De-Vie". I've taken to calling it Eau-De-Clipdeath. Her first nonspell is much the same.

XephyrEnigma

• XephyrEnigma
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2012, 02:25:21 AM »
But it does sound elitist.
Regardless of you saying it isnt, it does sound elitist.
People learn from mistakes. Most of my replays are of my failures. Why? Because in watching them again I see them and say "Oh my god THAT'S what I did wrong!" and learn.

You seriously need to start doing this. How do you think I managed to 1cc UFO a couple of months ago, or IN Normal when I was just starting to get better?
You need to analyze your performances and let others do the same. Things start making more sense when you see your mistakes and hear others' strategies.
Iced-Fairy: "Danmaku is like soccer, except instead of hooligans you get fairies and the riot is before the game." 

My YouTube channel where I often screw about - Latest Upload: IN Border Team Easy Clear

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2012, 02:30:08 AM »
and now I come in and go against all this by saying "I don't save most of my failures" and "The 1cc is the final goal"

Doesn't mean I don't feel good when I figure out something though (for example, while trying to perfect MoF extra stage I kept failing but felt pretty good once I figured out an infinitely repeatable strategy for Jade of the Horrid River)

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2012, 02:50:18 AM »
I'm in agreement with the Ammyster over here. Rather than ramming your head against an entire game repeatedly, it's far more effective to divide and conquer, looking at all the problem spots and taking them out in manageable chunks until you're satisfied with them. Watching your own replays, and the replays of others, is also very effective especially if you're relatively new to shmups and are having trouble analyzing your mistakes on the fly (you know this is happening when you're forced to wildly flail, or consider yourself to be clearing or failing a section based on random chance), or creating efficient tactics for whatever problem spots you're seeing.

I'd also go as far as to say that improving your performance in any manner is an accomplishment of sorts, even if it may just be a step towards a later goal of a 1cc or whatever you're trying to do. If they're easy enough for you that it doesn't feel like an accomplishment just learning a single one, then you might as well just go for it and learn all the troublesome ones in one fell swoop, right? :V
Let's fight.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2012, 02:54:19 AM »

What puzzles me is not that you are acting highly elitist, but that you think you know better how to proceed than someone who's played Touhou for over four years, along with many other highly skilled players. ??? Knowing one spell card back to front translates to one area where your resources are not likely to be picked over. Even if that's just one spell card (and let me tell you that your estimate is way overshot; it averages between 25 and 30 per game), by mastering many through this method, you can master the game.

And, yes, save your replays. Even if you don't watch them, others can.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
  • 90 Frames per Second GO!
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2012, 03:21:03 AM »
Nyope, have no right to complain about Koishi's first card unless you're at 90-...

I jest, but if I may...
I see a really large amount of posts in the rage threads coming from Esu, but honestly don't know why you're not, you know, actually making progress on whatever 1cc you're trying to do.

Also, I find it incredibly satisfying to say "bitch I just captured Radiant Treasure Gun (Hard). With ReimuB. At 2.xx power. Suck it, Shou" so I dunno what you're talking about small accomplishments not meaning much. Or lulzily capturing LFS Hard in the same run at 3.xx power.

And then there's all my 90FPS shenanigans when I actually do capture something awesome like Danmaku Chimaera.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2012, 03:22:46 AM »
getting the first capture on pesky cards is always an achievement to me~
esupan you're just making me feel bad~

Light Sign Halo Of The Guze Kannon 01 / 17

MMX

• In Soviet Gensokyo...
  • ...bullets dodge you.
    • LiveJournal blog
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2012, 03:24:40 AM »

DIE.
Megumi has the cutest character design in this game imo. However same cant be said about her patterns >_<
My danmakufu thread Most recent - "Kappa Mechanics" (Nitori fight)   My youtube channel Latest update - EoSD extra no bombs clear

« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2012, 08:13:55 AM »
You learned how to do one of the 60 or so spellcards in a video game on one difficulty. Go you.

What the hell are you going on about? You implying that it's not an accomplishment to master a difficult section? Lies. Its really rewarding. Maybe you haven't actually tried mastering a truly tough section, as in being able to do it consistently. I'd almost say that it's worth a lot more than a 1cc in a game series that offer you a near limitless supply of bombs and lives. Touhou literally offers you the possibility to bomb all hard parts away so I'd say that it's much more rewarding to get great at an individual part than to just clear a game.

Then get into that habit. You don't want to create absolute failures forever do you?

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2012, 11:27:41 AM »
I'm gonna feel stupid, but I once knew that Patchouli's stage in EoSD's main bullets aimed at you,  they were just too hard for me to dodge because I was streaming too fast (I.E. Tapping in rhythm instead of waiting). Felt nice when I figured it out.
My profile picture is whimsy until I feel like adding something else.

Enjoy.

Lepetit89

• Deranged Collector
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2012, 01:18:35 PM »
Alright, decided to say "Fuck it" to my cold and went for an attempt to clear Stage 5 in TD Lunatic. Minus a few unfortunate accidents here and there, it was a nice run, managed to get through Stage 5 and made it all the way to Guze Flash, where I then died with a Bomb in stock, which kind of blew since I wanted to unlock as many Spellcards as possible.

Regardless, I think I don't rage as much as I used to, died with two Bombs in stock right after the post-Kogasa fairies. Kogasa herself was nice enough to move in a way that would have allowed me to collect her Spirits + the Bombs and Extra Lives from the fairies afterwards with only a single Trance, as opposed to Bomb + Trance. Entered Trance a little too early, though, and wound up unable to collect the last purple Spirit. "Oh, well, at least I managed to save an entire Bomb!", I thought, as I rushed upwards to get it without Trance, wondering why timing was so crucial there again. Then I rushed head-first into fresh bullets, thinking "And now I lost an entire Extra Life!", rageworthy, but I suppose it's an improvement that I went from slapping myself in the face to producing soliloquies that can at least make me snicker.

« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2012, 02:12:33 PM »
Those annoying times where you want to practice a non spell card and you have to play the whole stage just to get there -.-

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2012, 02:24:30 PM »
Especially annoying when the nonspells in question come from Mamizou >_>

« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2012, 03:43:34 PM »
Excuse me, Ten Desires? Please look at the following image.

MMX

• In Soviet Gensokyo...
  • ...bullets dodge you.
    • LiveJournal blog
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2012, 03:47:27 PM »
Oh yeah. And the same with 'C' button too  :D

Meanwhile this scoring challenge's makin' me ragin' It forces you to play agressive, shotgun bosses, do some sick timing and stuff. And i keep screwing up at the earlier stages and restarting all over again >:(

Lepetit89

• Deranged Collector
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2012, 04:22:47 PM »
Oooh, it's an X-key! Christ, I think I really am slow, didn't understand it until the C-key was mentioned.

Tengukami

« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2012, 05:41:09 PM »
Oooh, it's an X-key! Christ, I think I really am slow, didn't understand it until the C-key was mentioned.

No, it's not just you; I had no idea what the hell that was supposed to mean. And to be honest I still don't. Are bombs not working? Are bombings too necessary? What is it?

XephyrEnigma

• XephyrEnigma
« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2012, 06:40:54 PM »
No, it's not just you; I had no idea what the hell that was supposed to mean. And to be honest I still don't. Are bombs not working? Are bombings too necessary? What is it?

I guess its cause bomb timing is a little fucked up compared to the rest of the games, I think. People, refrain from posting solely large images.

MMX

• In Soviet Gensokyo...
  • ...bullets dodge you.
    • LiveJournal blog
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2012, 07:02:21 PM »
Actually i find there's nothing wrong with bombing in Ten Desires. Even deathbomb interval is fairly long. I suppose, Malkyrian's just ragin' at his buttton unable to react as needed :D

XephyrEnigma

• XephyrEnigma
« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2012, 07:39:34 PM »
Actually i find there's nothing wrong with bombing in Ten Desires. Even deathbomb interval is fairly long. I suppose, Malkyrian's just ragin' at his buttton unable to react as needed :D

Maybe its cause I have to play around with framerates and latency just to make it even remotely playable past stage 2.