Author Topic: Are You a Squid Now? - Splatoon Thread  (Read 97962 times)

Barrakketh

• You're suddenly Director of Fixing That Shit!
  • Vice President of It's Your Problem Now.
Re: Are You a Squid Now? - Splatoon Thread
« Reply #780 on: January 27, 2016, 11:40:07 PM »
According to the Splatoon Calculator (I couldn't find the datamined ability information...I probably should've bookmarked that) one Ink Saver (Main) is almost as good as two Ink Saver (Sub).  One Ink Saver (Main) brings primary weapon ink consumption to 87.88%, two Ink Saver (Sub)  will reduce sub ink consumption to 86.20%...so it is less effective and you won't make use of it as often.

Going 9x Ink Saver (Sub) only brings you down to 82.65%...see what I meant by diminishing returns?  3x Ink Saver (Sub) as a main ability gives you 81.33%.

And the Ink Saver skills work by refunding part of the ink cost, so for the Ink Wall you're only recovering about 12% of your total ink if you invest three primary abilities.

I also just fired up Splatoon to test something with the Slosher Deco.

• The Slosher with no ink saver options lets you swing the bucket 14 times.
  • After an Ink Wall you can swing it 5 times.
  • Running Ink Saver (Sub) in every primary slot you can swing it 7 times after throwing an Ink Wall.
  • With one Ink Saver (Main) you can swing it 6 times after throwing an Ink Wall.
  • With my recommendation of one primary Ink Saver (Main) and three subabilities of it you can swing your bucket 7 times after throwing an Ink Wall.  You can also swing the bucket 18 times on a full tank.  This saves you two primary slots which can be used for other skills including slot-specific abilities like Cold Blooded.  It also gives you more gear options so you can look as fresh as you can be.
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #781 on: January 28, 2016, 01:25:33 AM »
Wow, those are pretty surprising results. So that just makes Ink Saver (Sub) a total trash option that only exists as a trap at that point, doesn't it? Is there ANY practical use for it? Thanks for doing the leg work, that's good to know.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Amraphenson

• The problem is, you're a friend that likes to talk!
  • ...well, I am too!
« Reply #782 on: January 30, 2016, 07:42:15 PM »
Sugoiiii~
[23:02] <~Iced> You have sown the seeds of your own destruction Amra.
[23:20] <Stuffman> enjoy your personally crafted hell Amra

Tamashii Kanjou

• If you didn't quite already know...
  • I am the leader of TCF <3
    • TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #783 on: January 30, 2016, 08:44:41 PM »
So the EU Splatfest is currently underway, with the teams this time being Barbarians vs Ninjas. And oooooooooooh boy...

After 28 matches, 18 of them have been Ninjas vs Ninjas. I kid you not! I've had 9 encounters against Barbarians, and yeah, it has been insane. The second the first match of the night pinged up Ninja vs Ninja, I instantly went 'I have to keep a count this time.' And sure enough...

I will not be surprised if Team Ninja bags popularity past the 60% mark this time. I just hope the actual fights with the Barbs keep the wins as close as possible~ XD

Picochilla

• Just a random Chinchilla
« Reply #784 on: January 31, 2016, 05:41:33 PM »
I will not be surprised if Team Ninja bags popularity past the 60% mark this time. I just hope the actual fights with the Barbs keep the wins as close as possible~ XD

with that kind of server lag and the immense imbalance every match it makes a pretty shitty splatfest.
I know that because i watching someone who used Barbarian and all Ninja Teams playing like ass literally...

Tamashii Kanjou

• TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #785 on: January 31, 2016, 08:20:12 PM »
Barbarians vs Ninjas

Votes : 23 - 77
Wins (x6) : 59 - 41

Total : 377 - 323

I hate the fact that I always net myself groups that perform exceptionally well in whatever team I pick, and once again, another overall team loss. I expected the wins (for the barbs) to be in the 50s, but fleh... The fact I had more NvN fights than I've ever seen in a Splatfest probably meant the Barbs were being gifted the wins on a platter~ :V

Also, let Hotaru win again, please~

Zoriri

• Danmaku Trainee
« Reply #786 on: February 06, 2016, 06:49:01 PM »
(All of this is spoken as a former Aerospray RG main.)

Nintendo has been pretty good at balancing the weapons with patches, so I don't know that anything is really "OP". That said, they tend to balance with ranked in mind, so Turf War ends up being a little bit of an afterthought. The Aerospray is certainly very good at Turf War, although it needs a decent team backing it up to actually win matches.

I've actually had a lot more success using the Aerospray in ranked than in Turf War despite thw fact that it seems to exploit the Turf War ruleset just a bit. But I think that's mostly just my playstyle, I know it's very popular.

I know this is a late reply, but thanks for the info! After making that post, I decided to try out the Jr. again to see what all the hubbub was about, and holy hell I've been living in the dark. I don't know what it is exactly that I like about it so much, but I can see now why people use it even at higher levels.

I've also started doing ranked, which I'm liking a lot so far. Splat Zones and Tower Control are really fun. Rainmaker, not so much.

I used the change in gameplay as an excuse to try out different weapons, and have been rotating them out pretty frequently. I like the Luna Blasters a lot, they're good for getting the other team off of the goal, though I usually end up getting splatted just as many times as I splat others due to their short range. I also tried out sniping with the Kelp Splatterscope, which took a lot of getting used to, but I'm pretty decent at it now. I'm not amazing by any stretch of the word, but I'm no longer dead weight to my team either.

Also for got to put this in my last post; my NNID is Zoriri. Add me if you want a sub-par sniper or a blaster with no sense of personal space.

Moogs Parfait

• SPRING
  • Plz Send Naps
    • Danmaku!! Official Site
« Reply #787 on: February 12, 2016, 02:59:17 AM »
Posts about the Pokemon splatfest just popped up on my twitter feed, I expect this will end in bloodshed

Barrakketh

« Reply #788 on: February 13, 2016, 12:13:43 AM »
Posts about the Pokemon splatfest just popped up on my twitter feed, I expect this will end in bloodshed
I don't really care about either (haven't played since Red/Blue/Yellow), but I did borrow Blue when I was younger.  I actually owned Yellow :V

I created an alt account to work on de-rusting my charger skills in ranked, I suspect I'll end up voting Blue on my main account and for my alt account I'll change my vote if Team Marie continues its streak of being terrible since it really needs the sea snails (I haven't added a single slot to anything on the way to level 25 and A-).
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

Tamashii Kanjou

• TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #789 on: February 14, 2016, 05:39:27 PM »
The Pokemon Splatfest is going to be huge in a number of ways. Let's not forget that this will be the first ever Global Splatfest. In affect, it'll be 1v2, as Japan get Red vs Green instead of Red vs Blue like America and Europe do...

It does mean that those in the UK will be looking at a healthy start time of 4am on the Saturday. Wonderful indeed; but I'm sure I can manage... though Puppy is actually wanting in on the action too!

We've both sided with Red. My first game was Yellow, and for me, I don't really compare which Pokemon are in which game; especially in this day and age. So I put it down to which cover Pokemon I preferred, and which in-game character named after the set colours the games were named, I preferred... And Red will always hold it for me just because of the utter brick he was in Gold/Silver~ :V

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #790 on: February 14, 2016, 05:44:44 PM »
I haven't played in about a month, but I keep meaning to pick the game back up and I think this'll be a good jumping-back-on point for me. I'll be backing Pokemon Blue. To date I still name every RPG main character Blue.  :V

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #791 on: February 15, 2016, 01:57:40 AM »
I'm glad I got Red instead of Blue way back in middle school because they actually have it as a choice here, heh.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #792 on: February 15, 2016, 02:40:00 PM »
I let my 2 year old niece decide the SplatFests choices from this point on. She decided to go for 'Red'.

She likes Aori-chan more and claims she has lots of teeth.

Barrakketh

« Reply #793 on: February 20, 2016, 07:53:59 PM »
Don't forget that Splatfest is today.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #794 on: February 20, 2016, 08:36:43 PM »
Aaaaah I know, I've been out of the house all day and now I've got people coming over to play Magic. I really do want to play in this one but I'm not sure I'll have time. I guess I should have a good four or five hours at least, that will probably be enough unless the network is bad. is the network bad?

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #795 on: February 21, 2016, 04:46:07 AM »
Alright, well, I didn't finish the event but I got some matches in. It was fun overall, and I love the new Octobrush, but I quit in disgust after I lost four games in a row where I had like quadruple the score of anyone else on my team. Apparently I ended up in the turbo-loser bracket and couldn't climb back out of it. I kind of like the new map too, it incorporates some mechanics from single player like people kept saying they wanted.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #796 on: February 23, 2016, 07:55:29 AM »
Europe Splatfest was over last weekend. Heh, my little niece couldn't win unfortunately. Charizard won with slight majority of votes but Blastoise took the 54% wins. I like how Aori complains that Hotaru had the type advantage :V

Because Splatoon has over 1m sales in Japan, they did a hologram concert (was linked few posts before). Showing this to my niece she said: "I want to go there as well and watch the sisters!". Made me feel a little guilty  :ohdear:. You can't just tell a 2 year old that they are fake and animated. Never spoil a child's fantasy like that.

Had to excuse my self for saying the concert was over and maybe some other time they might do it again.

Barrakketh

« Reply #797 on: March 04, 2016, 12:12:03 AM »
Splatoon is getting some more DLC!  And a new patch is coming out next week with some balance changes.

Japanese patch notes are up.  From what I've read thus far:

• Both Ink Savers and Ink Recovery are getting buffed, it looks like it might be the cap if you stack them (and probably tweaks to diminishing returns).  Ink Saver (Main) goes from 40 -> 45 percent, Ink Saver (Sub) from 25 -> 35 percent, Ink Recovery from 67 -> 82 percent.
  • Tenacity: Special Gauge fills 20% faster than it used to.
  • Haunt: Can also see enemy attack, defense, and run speed when they are marked.
  • Recon: Lasts for 3.5 seconds after leaving spawn, also shows enemy weapons on the minimap.
  • Bomb Sniffer: Bombs that don't 1HKO you deal 40% less damage, Burst Bombs deal 20% less damage (E-Liter haters rejoice!).
  • Last Ditch Effort: In Ranked it kicks in when the enemy counter hits 30 and lasts through overtime. You also get Quick Respawn buffs in addition to ink efficiency.
  • Some matchmaking changes for Splatfest, also takes into account your Ranked...rank when determining where you start.  Doesn't work by play style anymore like Turf War normally does.
  • Comeback: Build special faster when active
I *think* there is less delay when you use Killer Wail and Inkstrike before you regain full control of your inkling.

I'm not sure what the buff to Opening Gambit is.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 12:15:45 AM by Barrakketh »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #798 on: March 04, 2016, 12:41:26 AM »
Oh wow, I'm happy to hear that. Buffing very underpowered stuff is just about as good as adding new stuff to the game.

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #799 on: March 04, 2016, 05:09:19 AM »
I'm not sure what the buff to Opening Gambit is.
I think it increases the effect the main Gear buffs by a 1/3 if they are Movement Speed Up (Human) or Super Jump Speed Up. I could be mistaken though.

Picochilla

• Just a random Chinchilla
« Reply #800 on: March 12, 2016, 05:07:43 PM »
12th european splatfest is Hoverboards vs Jetpacks!

This will be gonna awesome!

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #801 on: March 12, 2016, 05:41:11 PM »
I'm mostly finished with my kind of half-assed Inkling cosplay to be worn at Shuto Con next week. I'll post pictures unless it ends up looking really terrible.

All I really have left is the backpack. I'm thinking a two-liter bottle is about the best I'm going to get my hands on, but I don't have a great plan yet for how I'm going to wear it.

Tamashii Kanjou

• TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #802 on: April 14, 2016, 01:43:39 PM »
I am not pleased with the next Splatfest...

It's Spongebob vs Patrick... I sh*t you not! ><

As someone who can't stand the show, I'm gritting my teeth on this one; more due to the fact that I want to keep my Splatfest record, but would otherwise skip this completely. Siding with Patrick if only because I don't want the sponge to win... but mostly because Team Hotaru~
{Anyone else want to chime in on this one?}

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #803 on: April 14, 2016, 02:10:56 PM »
Ha. Yeah, that's pretty weird. I like Spongebob and I don't really have a preference. They're a comedy duo so picking one over the other is kind of pointless. I'll probably just back Callie.

I have been playing Splatoon again a tiny bit lately after not making time for it for a while. Fire Emblem Fates took precedent over all other games for a while, but now that I'm done with that I'm branching back out.

Tamashii Kanjou

• TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #804 on: July 08, 2016, 02:56:38 PM »
So this thread has been out for a good number of months now, and I was thinking about just starting a new one... but with that sheet on front page with all the NNIDs there, I thought it might as well just be booted back up for a bit...

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/News/2016/July/The-Splatoon-Summer-of-Splat-begins-this-July--1120899.html

Splatoon is launching a UK-central event, where over the next few weeks, exclusive leagues will be pinging up to test players; with the top teams from each winning a place in a big event in London towards the end of August. I don't know how many people here are in the UK that play Splatoon (or still play it for that matter) but it's a pretty big deal; and I'd love it if anyone would chime up to either A) join my team, or B) make their own... and let squids bloom on the battlefield <3

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #805 on: July 08, 2016, 03:32:05 PM »
That sounds really cool, and I kind of wish we had had a league structure going since earlier on. I would love to play, but obviously I'm not in the UK.

Just picked up my Squid Sisters Amiibo a few minutes ago, incidentally.

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
« Reply #806 on: July 08, 2016, 07:44:08 PM »
oh right my new roommate has wii u + splatoon, do you guys here play together at all?
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #807 on: July 08, 2016, 08:39:32 PM »
As far as I know we had a lot of trouble due to time zones. I'd be happy to play with you if we can work out a time, but getting a full four people together proved tricky then and should be even harder now with less people active.

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
« Reply #808 on: July 09, 2016, 01:06:59 AM »
I'm PST, or GMT-7, but my schedule is relatively flexible. I know a friend that can be a +1 who would be willing to play if we need some extras.
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #809 on: July 09, 2016, 01:51:03 AM »
I'm EST/GMT-5, so we're fairly close there, not like my previous attempts to play with MoTK-ers where many players were spread out quite a lot more than that. We could definitely make that work. You have a particular time in mind?