Author Topic: League of Legends Thread XVI -Double International Salt Mine Edition-  (Read 138329 times)

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
Re: League of Legends Thread XVI -Double International Salt Mine Edition-
« Reply #690 on: February 11, 2016, 07:53:26 AM »
'The Crystal Scar is Weeping' - Skarner 2016

I wonder if they'll remove that line from his VO; after all; they're removing Summoners from the lore [Despite; you know; SUMMONER SPELLS]. Or will they keep it as a tribute?

Also in Skarner's minigame; Dominion lives on.

Also RIP:
Soul Anchor; Prospector's Blade/Ring; Odyn's Veil and the Crystal Scar exclusive versions of the Tear items and Rod of Ages.

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

Bardiche

• Mafia: Worst Game Ever
« Reply #691 on: February 11, 2016, 12:19:59 PM »
Bought Jhin, not very impressed. Caitlyn still does the sniper fantasy better, I think, outside of Jhin's ult. His W just feels incredibly clunky.

REVISING THIS INTO JHIN IS THE MOST FUN ADC EVER

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #692 on: February 11, 2016, 05:34:29 PM »
'The Crystal Scar is Weeping' - Skarner 2016

I wonder if they'll remove that line from his VO;
Well, the crystal scar is still a place that exists in the lore, no? Even if it is no longer being used as a field of justice battleground. They might even just change up the lore behind it. I mean, they did that for Olaf. Turned "Lokfar" from a faraway land in a distant world to... the name of some place in the Freljord.

I am rather annoyed and saddened at the removal of dominion. I mean, I get why they would do it, it's a strict business decision. But I always liked the mode. Even if I have barely played it in the last year or two for a variety of reasons, including increasing lack of balance as the game changed but mostly the fact that my friends don't play dominion and I only play together with them anymore.

I mean... couldn't they at least put dominion in the featured-game-mode pile, polish it up there a bit (or make some zany additions, because in that pile, who cares if it is REALLY balanced) and then bring it back at some point in the future? What about custom games? What about bringing back Ascension as a featured gamemode, which uses the same map? Are they just gonna get rid of the assets from the game files?
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Silent Harmony

• Everybody needs the Pharmarcy
  • Justice never dies!
« Reply #693 on: February 11, 2016, 06:06:11 PM »
I mean... couldn't they at least put dominion in the featured-game-mode pile, polish it up there a bit (or make some zany additions, because in that pile, who cares if it is REALLY balanced) and then bring it back at some point in the future? What about custom games? What about bringing back Ascension as a featured gamemode, which uses the same map? Are they just gonna get rid of the assets from the game files?

They said that they might. The "retirement" was mostly in terms of it being a permanent "serious" mode that needed way too much work immediately and over time to get to a healthy point to be worth it.

1CC List (all shmups)
League of Legends / Battle.net: Harmony11(#1694)

Mr. Sacchi

• All shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.
  • Not postponed. Not in the end. Not for long.
« Reply #694 on: February 11, 2016, 09:14:36 PM »
[...]because in that pile, who cares if it is REALLY balanced[...]

I'll point you to all of the URF Naysayers that can do nothing but complain about "all of the OP braindead champs in that mode"

Ryuu

• time for kittyrina lessons
  • time to press r again
« Reply #695 on: February 11, 2016, 09:30:02 PM »
i mean, that is a problem with URF and basically every featured mode that comes out

but that's also why they're temporary modes and not full time balance investments

http://ryuukyunplaysstuff.tumblr.com/ read about me playing league i guess

Mr. Sacchi

« Reply #696 on: February 11, 2016, 09:48:38 PM »
i mean, that is a problem with URF and basically every featured mode that comes out

but that's also why they're temporary modes and not full time balance investments

Which is why I say that "the amount of fun you derive from featured game modes is inversely proportional to how many fucks you actually give about it".

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
« Reply #697 on: February 11, 2016, 10:26:34 PM »
They said that they might. The "retirement" was mostly in terms of it being a permanent "serious" mode that needed way too much work immediately and over time to get to a healthy point to be worth it.
That is at least something then. Guess the best to hope for at this point, heh. I guess we got ~2 weeks to play the mode some more before it goes offline as well.

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #698 on: February 11, 2016, 10:47:44 PM »
I'll point you to all of the URF Naysayers that can do nothing but complain about "all of the OP braindead champs in that mode"

Braindead OP champions? I found ways to stop most of those

Although personally All for One beats URF. Because you need to play the champion in abnormal ways; else you get punished by resist stacking; Thornmail in particular; or Banner of Command.

I'll never forget 5 Sions vs 5 Ziggs; with 5 Banners [Yes; the 3 randoms joined in with me and my brother] and all 5 of us ulting down mid at once.

And how MAD the Ziggs were at us literally ignoreing them and just hitting towers; dying; and then hitting towers with passive; while doing Banner stuff.

I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #699 on: February 12, 2016, 12:48:25 AM »
[/quote

Dunno about OP braindead champs, but there were more than a few guys who were really annoying to go up against, and they tended to be the popular ones.
I can believe that but it's hard to believe it takes that much investment when for the past few years, their balance team was pretty much one guy, and he had to take care Treeline too. I hear the balance issues weren't that crazy either.

Braindead OP champions? I found ways to stop most of those

Although personally All for One beats URF. Because you need to play the champion in abnormal ways; else you get punished by resist stacking; Thornmail in particular; or Banner of Command.

I'll take All for one, I prefer that one to URF too.

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?

Ryuu

• time to press r again
« Reply #701 on: February 18, 2016, 11:42:00 PM »
ao shin still lives, he's just evolved

that's like saying rip priscilla when she's in the game

Mr. Sacchi

« Reply #702 on: February 18, 2016, 11:44:53 PM »
Well technically speaking the only thing that this new guy and Ao Shin have in common is that they're both dragons.

At least, as far as we know, he could still be a storm-based serpentine dragon, although it doesn't look like it from their wording.

So yeah, Ao Shin is definitely RIP, but from his ashes Golden Sun(tm) has risen.

Ryuu

• time to press r again
« Reply #703 on: February 19, 2016, 12:42:11 AM »
being dragons isn't the only thing they have in common

the new dragon champion is literally just a transformation of ao shin

the same way that the old champion priscilla is literally just elise now

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #704 on: February 19, 2016, 08:17:56 AM »
being dragons isn't the only thing they have in common

the new dragon champion is literally just a transformation of ao shin

the same way that the old champion priscilla is literally just elise now

Priscillia and Elise were both spider-women; probobly with similar kits [Particually human Elise]

I don't think we can say serpentine Ionian storm dragon who from the sounds of it was a utility midlaner or support is the same as 'not serpentine' dragon who from his name and recent things [Lore changes to Targon champs] in the files and that Riot have confirmed [Upcoming Diana skin] who is apparently linked to the sun and is [probobly] from Mount Targon is the same champion. [It looks incredibly likely the next lore event is Targon; and this guy will be released during it]

Especially since when Elise came out Riot literally said 'This was after development hell where she began as Priscillia'. This time Riot have said 'Ao Shin is dead'.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a storm-based release skin for this new dragon however in honor of Ao Shin.

I mean I guess we won't know until he comes out. If his abilities could feasibly *work* in a storm sense, then he's Ao Shin. If not; then he's not. It's like Elise's abilities all make sense for any spider-themed champion.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 08:21:00 AM by Raikaria »

Ryuu

• time to press r again
« Reply #705 on: February 19, 2016, 10:42:21 AM »
abilities are just abilities tho. the flavor is what makes them unique, but you can contextualize them in a billion different ways. technically speaking, there isn't much of a difference between rappel and grand skyfall--they both remove the champion from the map and then drop the champion in the center of a circled area.

priscilla is also dead when it comes to league. her development hell eventually caused a redesign of her thematics from being a prissy fancy spider queen with a parasol to what elise is today. because the change in thematics was so dramatic from what players had known from the champion being previously teased, they changed the name and identity of the champion to avoid all of the "why isn't [released champion] more like [expectations from teasers]?"

it's just the same shit with ao shin. the development went in a way where something about the champion moved so far away from the original identity that they felt it was appropriate to move forward with a totally new identity and with a different name. so, like i said, the dragon champion is still ao shin in the same way priscilla is elise. the theme, execution, etc., might be different, but the dragon is the child of ao shin's development

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
« Reply #706 on: February 20, 2016, 09:43:39 AM »
I am not sure why you are arguing about this when we basically do not know any concrete information about how the new dragon champ looks like, how he plays, etc. Just wait for more proper information on the subject I'd say.  :P

Meanwhile, now, since there were some notable changes to Urgot on the PBE that have now been reverted... How would YOU change/rework him into something balanceable and healthy for the game, preferrably without changing his identity? That is to say, keep his place-swapping ultimate, and keep his dual-nature of pokey + tankey (but probably force the player to choose between focusing on one or the other in a given game, or go in-between).

For the ultimate, I would think it'd make sense if 1. the range was increased, but rather than suppressing the target instantly before swapping some time after, the ult formed a tether to the champ in question and then performed the swap (with only a very brief suppression of 0.5s or so maybe) lets say 2 seconds later if it isn't broken (i.e. the distance between the two increases another lets say 200 units or something). If it breaks, part (half?) of the cd is refunded.
This would make the ability interesting again by allowing it to do what it is supposed to: swapping places with another champion rather than being a glorified low-range point and click stun. With interesting potential for counterplay!

For the rest of his kit, I was thinking. If I am not mistaken, a large reason for why he is obnoxious/unhealthy is because if you get hit with a single Corrosive Charge, you will get your face Acid-Hunted off. I wonder if you could improve this pattern by, well, making it so that a corrosive charge is not enough by itself is not enough for that:
What I would try would be to
1. make his passive a stackable debuff, up to N (4 or 3, possibly 5?) times.
2. make it so corrosive charge applies N-1 stacks of the passive
3. make it so acid hunter homes in on enemies that have N stacks of the passive.
By forcing Urgot to have landed at least one autoattack in recent times if he wants to get a parade of acid hunters going, he cannot just destroy the enemy with pot-shots, instead forcing him to take some risk. But after an elongated trade, you might just be able to finish off the opponent with the acid hunters anyway if you got enough autoattacks off. Plus, being able to reduce the damage dealt by all enemies in an area by 15% or so provides additional utility and makes it more possible to survive after a swap, even when not building super tanky.

For the Terror Capacitator, you could then do the following: 1. make the shield scale with bonus HP so that building tanky-ish is more viable, and 2. make it so that nearby enemies (lets say in a range slighly above urgot's auto-range) are feared, either if they have N stacks of the passive, or by a small amount based on the number of passive stacks.
Basically due to the changes I would want for the ultimate, I think he would need some form of CC elsewhere in his kit, in a way that gels well with it but is not a simple "push button, CC everything kinda way". And "Terror Capacitator" (plus Urgot's theme in general) would make fear a fitting candidate there.

Due to adding counterplay etc. to his abilities and play patterns, his numbers would hypothetically be allowed to increase to a point where he is viable.

...thoughts on my own pointless thoughts? :v

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #707 on: February 21, 2016, 10:46:49 PM »
My reaction when midlane Karma suddenly explodes as a competitive pick:

OH GOD IT'S KAYLE ALL OVER AGAIN ONE OF MY FAVORITE PICKS IS GONNA GET SUPERNERFED [Hey remember when Kayle's Q got it's AP ratio almost halved on top of other nerfs?]

Mr. Sacchi

« Reply #708 on: February 21, 2016, 10:52:19 PM »
Calm the hell down, Kayle was nerfed basically because she's a jack-of-all-stats with an ultimate that effectively has zero counterplay attached. Riot simply decided to preserve what is most iconic about Kayle and nerf what's extra (and I'm pretty sure "stupid burst damage" was not part of kayle's intended design)

Even if they actually nerf my dear karma, they'll shave off any extras that she may have without murdering her actual playstyle.

That plus the fact that they don't always nerf popular champions.

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #709 on: February 21, 2016, 11:11:12 PM »
Yeah; it's just I have a habit of playing a champion before it's played in competitive, and then everyone starts playing it; it gets popular; banned; ect so I can't play it; and then it gets nerfed. Generally hard.

It happened with Kayle; it happened with Hecarim; it happened with Sejuani [Nerf Sejuani's damage and her C.C at the same time. She's pretty much fine. Nerf Sejuani's core item afterwards. She's left in wallow in a bad spot].

I can see it happening to Karma too.

You get a little on-edge when you've seen this cycle happen to champions you play which are not popular at the time multiple times.

Honestly the worst thing is I have to put up with not only not being able to play said champion due to demand, but seeing sheep play it horribly.

I *think* the first case of this was Toplane Lulu. Waaay back when Voyboy was still a relevant competitive player. But toplane Lulu in Lulu's release state was like; Teemo on steroids with a godly teamfight.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 11:15:49 PM by Raikaria »

Monarda

• Tactician that has a soft spot for cuteness.
  • Art by Amibazh
« Reply #710 on: February 21, 2016, 11:23:56 PM »
Honestly the worst thing is I have to put up with not only not being able to play said champion due to demand, but seeing sheep play it horribly.
Aaaaaaand that`s why i stopped playing Karma, i felt like i didn`t do what i was supposed to do efficiently.

Bardiche

« Reply #711 on: February 21, 2016, 11:32:37 PM »
Evelynn played competitively. Still unpopular.

I don't care, gib freelo.

Widermelonz

• Delicious
  • Yum
« Reply #712 on: February 22, 2016, 04:01:24 AM »
Play whoever you like playing, who cares if they've become more popular in competitive. Doesn't always mean they're instantly gonna get supernerfed. I mean, look at quinn and naut, initially unpopular, become popular competitively, currently still really high winrates, not banned often.

Ryuu

• time to press r again
« Reply #713 on: February 22, 2016, 06:34:50 AM »
did someone besides GBM play karma mid

anyway it's only becoming a pick b/c of the double/triple adc comps. when the adc comps get nerfed or the meta shifts away, karma won't be that great as a competitive pick again

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #714 on: February 22, 2016, 08:02:15 AM »
did someone besides GBM play karma mid

anyway it's only becoming a pick b/c of the double/triple adc comps. when the adc comps get nerfed or the meta shifts away, karma won't be that great as a competitive pick again

Yes; it was played in other regions before NA this week; and it was also played in other NA games on Sunday.

Bardiche

« Reply #715 on: February 25, 2016, 01:31:04 AM »
Bought Karma, brought her into Ranked as my first time playing her.

Smashed Zed in.

Third game of Karma, against Zed again.

Smashed his head in.

Not sure if I've just become good against Zed, if the Zeds I encountered were terribad, or they were terrified of actually good Karmas.

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
« Reply #716 on: February 25, 2016, 08:02:55 PM »
Bought [champ], brought her into Ranked as my first time playing her.
...regardless of how good you are at the game or how OP the champ is, please don't do this.

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #717 on: February 25, 2016, 10:53:52 PM »
The long-speculated Mount Targon event is coming

Notice 5 champion slots. 3 champions. 1 is obviously Aurelion Sol, who is therefor almost certainly the next champion to be released. [First half of the year release date. Name is clearly linked to the sun. Riot happened to speak about him just now]. I'm willing to bet the other is Taric; since Riot have said multiple times Taric is the next full relaunch and was close to being done, and Taric as it stands... comes from another dimension so Riot are probobly going to cull his old origin just liker the other non-void other dimensions like Anivia.

Which means if I'm right Taric relaunch is coming.

Also apparently now Pantheon; Leona and Diana are beings who got imbued with power of celestial beings and became 'aspects'. [Pantheon with an 'Aspect of War' and some sort of constellation and valhalla thing; Leona and Diana are obvious]. Most interesting thing is Pantheon is a title; there's been other Pantheons with his blessing and there will be more.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 10:56:56 PM by Raikaria »

Mr. Sacchi

« Reply #718 on: February 26, 2016, 12:36:51 AM »
So... Shadow Isles, Freljord, Shurima, Bilgewater and now Mt.Targon.

What's left? Aside from the three big city-states, I mean.

Silent Harmony

• Everybody needs the Pharmarcy
  • Justice never dies!
« Reply #719 on: February 26, 2016, 12:58:02 AM »
Kumungu Jungle
Bandle City
The Void
Misc. champions that are homeless now that the league doesn't exist (Jax, Lee Sin, etc)

Those are off the top of my head.

Also I am really enjoying the new Targon lore!  :*

1CC List (all shmups)
League of Legends / Battle.net: Harmony11(#1694)