Author Topic: League of Legends Thread XVI -Double International Salt Mine Edition-  (Read 138332 times)

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
Re: League of Legends Thread XVI -Double International Salt Mine Edition-
« Reply #390 on: October 14, 2015, 09:33:12 AM »
So after doing my first 3 ranked games this season and losing all of them because teammates keep getting caught out/diving suicidally on that "lone enemy" standing next to a bush that couldn't POSSIBLY have more of them... any advice on how I can stop that from happening?

I mean, I try to ward reasonably well within my sphere of influence (especially as support), but I cannot ward everything. I try to make back pings when I see someone who I think is in danger or about to do something reckless, but I cannot look at every point on the map at the same time, especially if I need to pay attention to not getting hit by enemies myself, and even if I ping DANGER!! or remind people in chat to stay together because enemy X is fed, often they just don't listen.

Anything I can do to improve here? :ohdear:
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Mr. Sacchi

• All shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.
  • Not postponed. Not in the end. Not for long.
« Reply #391 on: October 14, 2015, 09:48:29 AM »
Either stop playing support and start playing a carry role, or play "support".

Supports are great because they help your team to victory, but a lone support doesn't mean anything if no one follows you up, at least not without becoming a "support". Much like in MMOs, a healer can't heal stupid, a support can't support useless.

Ryuu

• time for kittyrina lessons
  • time to press r again
« Reply #392 on: October 14, 2015, 10:10:12 AM »
also just play more games. a few losses because of dumb morons getting caught out are inevitable at every rank. it really sucks when it's in your provisionals, but in the end, all you can do is just play more if you wanna ascend.

something useful is improving at macro-managing your team. figure out when you should call for dragon, baron, tower pushes, etc. and try to call them whenever you think it's appropriate. it won't win you every game, because, you know, your teammates are people and they may or may not listen, but good macro calls will win you more games than if you didn't call at all. if people listen to your early calls and shit turns out well, they're also more likely to listen to your future calls(including backing away from the danger bush).

like i said, it's not a 100% win erry time thing, but it will help you win more if you do it correctly. really, ranked isn't about winning all the time, but just winning more than you lose

http://ryuukyunplaysstuff.tumblr.com/ read about me playing league i guess

Aba Matindesu!

• keep it gwiyoming
  • DASEU RAESISSEU
« Reply #393 on: October 14, 2015, 02:32:08 PM »
Play Lulu, Janna, or Soraka (although the latter requires that your ADC be actually competent enough to take advantage of trades). Freelo right there, no lie. They don't save ass for nothing.

teets mi hao 2 2hu teets mi teets mi hao 2 2hu

Bardiche

• Mafia: Worst Game Ever
« Reply #394 on: October 14, 2015, 03:40:53 PM »
Play Sona and endlessly poke opposing ADC and Support for freelo around the low MMR matches.

---

In unrelated news, Kindred has been released and they are awesome. Try playing them in lane, build BotRK->Runaan->LW. Shred everything and their family.

EDIT: Just played them in Ranked. Amidst abuse, the weft and weave of Fate guided us towards victory with 18% cHP damage from passive alone. '3' Leona fed hard.

BARD'S GUIDE ON USING KINDRED'S MARK DURING TEAMFIGHTS:
Step 1. Locate whichever idiot fed the most on their team/dies most during teamfights.
Step 2. Mark that person.
Step 3. EASY BONUS STACKS.

Also don't build Trinity Force on her, stop it. DO build Sterak's Gage on him. Kindred is strong if they get to do sustained DPS in fights. :D Sated/BotRK/Runaan lets you go to town a-plenty, grab Black Cleaver to deal with Armour and get HP.

I think. Anyone with thoughts?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 11:46:59 PM by Bardiche »

« Reply #395 on: October 15, 2015, 07:28:41 AM »
So I'm at Wembley for today, maybe, I'll end up in shot on the stream again.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #396 on: October 15, 2015, 08:13:30 AM »
I'll admit I do not know much about the Taiwanese scene because of the timezone the LMS happens in. The LMS happens while I sleep. Still; I know TPA is still in it, so that's one team, and a team that is proven to have potential [Although I'm pretty sure that the roster is not the same as the roster than won S2]

hi i work for the HKES organization, aka the team that has(d) 2~3 of the guys from the original TPA S2 roster =) Though, since we lost to FW and couldn't make it to Worlds 2nd Seed for HKTW/Macau, I don't know for sure what's the plan of Toyz/DinteR

even though i don't play LoL much, I know some things or two about the LMS scene cause I work in it!!

actually, I would say average LMS is on par with NA based on what I have seen tbh.

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
« Reply #397 on: October 15, 2015, 10:36:28 AM »
New plan:

Step 1: Go to Teambuilder with a friend.
Step 2: Do a duo botlane with something supporty and a non-adc champ who still appreciates farm and can work in that lane, like Veigar, or Morde, or even Nasus.
Step 3: 95% guaranteed instant jungle Kindred means you still have an AD marksman.

If you ever wanted to go against the meta but don't have a full team and are frustrated with randoms dodging on you all the time... Now is the time!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #398 on: October 15, 2015, 12:54:28 PM »
PSA for anyone wanting to play One for All.

Do not go full AP.

Why?

You literally will instantly lose if you go 5 AP against this item.

It dosen't even matter if you're 5 Azirs. One of you at least has to go AD or you lose.

That and only a handful of AP champions can actually take Baron without taking so long they get wrecked and killed after. And AP vs Baron is also a loss. AP vs Baron of Command = oh god why
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 12:56:11 PM by Raikaria »

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

Bardiche

« Reply #399 on: October 15, 2015, 12:57:43 PM »
"Literally". I don't think you understand what that word means.

« Reply #400 on: October 15, 2015, 01:40:23 PM »
"Literally". I don't think you understand what that word means.
It doesn't anymore, it's its own antonym. (hopefully style guides start banning its use)
English is such a mess sometimes.

Bardiche

« Reply #401 on: October 15, 2015, 04:44:03 PM »
It doesn't anymore, it's its own antonym. (hopefully style guides start banning its use)

I blame the illiterate shitters who can't tell apart 'figuratively' and 'literally'. Better were the days when 'literally' was used to mean it is 'seriously so', rather than 'I am exaggerating a lot'.

For the record, to "literally" instantly lose, the Nexus needs to explode when Banner of Command is built. Any other variation is not a "literal instant loss".

Lane Kindred. 1 point in W, max Q/W first, have laughs at enemy expense. W is a great harassment tool.

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
« Reply #402 on: October 15, 2015, 06:10:11 PM »
It dosen't even matter if you're 5 Azirs. One of you at least has to go AD or you lose.

That and only a handful of AP champions can actually take Baron without taking so long they get wrecked and killed after. And AP vs Baron is also a loss. AP vs Baron of Command = oh god why
Silly Raikaria. Of course you don't fight baron nor dragon as a 5 AP team. You steal them with your super-high-range burst ultimates. ;)

(having at least one AD in the team is preferably for a lot of reasons, but not having one is not an instant loss. Especially because a lot of people lack the skill to capitalize on such a situation. Yes, this includes people not buying Banshee's or even any MR at all vs. our 5-Lux team)

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #403 on: October 15, 2015, 06:10:31 PM »
It's not, people just can't figure out the word there in actuality are better words they could be using and that there actually are correct uses for the word 'literally' that people using hyperbole can't seem to understand exist.

The extra meaning in the dictionary was probably forced because people were misusing it so much they have to explain why it has a contradictory meaning now.

YOU can help fight this by doing a mental check every time you use the word 'literally'. Ask yourself, "Is this sentence true, undisputed fact, or am I just exaggerating?" and it it's the latter then don't use the fucking word, bloody hell.
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

Ryuu

• time to press r again
« Reply #404 on: October 15, 2015, 08:01:06 PM »
hyperbolic literally was the best thing to happen to the english language

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #405 on: October 16, 2015, 09:21:08 PM »

This may or may not have been the most glorious game ever. I even convinced someone who wasn't my brother and was against the idea of being Sion at first to join the Banner hilarity. Another guy was convinced at the start the game would be boring and at the end was clearly enjoying himself.

And yes we did end the game by all ulting down the midlane together.

Also Kassadin tears are delicious. They compared me to the guy responsible for Teemo because they were having that little fun against beefcakes with Banners just throwing themselves at their towers.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 09:22:41 PM by Raikaria »

I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #407 on: October 17, 2015, 03:28:35 PM »
Oh god EU teams in a remake at worlds. In Europe vs China.

I'm getting flashbacks to GLG.eu vs WE.

Spoiler:
EU has knocked out all 3 Chinese teams now. So much for China being the strongest overall region [Although SKT is the strongest team]  EDG just lost 3-0. Game 1 being a comeback win.

SKT better be worried considering EDG has beaten them before in Bo5 and Fnatic has taken SKT themselves to 5 games before.

Also both Semis are now EU v KR. And honestly I don't see KT or KOO beating Fnatic after they wrecked EDG.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 05:33:35 PM by Raikaria »

Ryuu

• time to press r again
« Reply #408 on: October 17, 2015, 10:20:33 PM »
uh.
Spoiler:
KOO i can maybe see, because their group wasn't difficult and we haven't really seen them tested(much like EDG, who fell apart once they had to actually try), but you're really underestimating KT. not only did they dismantle their group, but they've got probably one of the best top laners in the entire tournament, probably even the world. piccaboo is super good too, and could realistically outmatch yellowstar(i'm predicting that KT will beat KOO, going off of player strength and recent history, though it's possible that KOO is hiding some surprise strong picks since they had such an easy group). huni is also exploitable too, since week 1 of groups shows what happens when huni is tilting. i think FNC could potentially win, but to say that they could beat korean teams based off of FNC dismantling a region that was already falling apart is really underselling korea and overselling EU.

you're also ignoring the state of EDG and china as a whole. they came in underprepared for the new meta. they have communication issues being half chinese and half korean. pawn is still suffering from stomach issues. the EDG at worlds isn't the EDG that won the LPL, and really, all the LPL teams adapted horribly to the worlds meta. you're basically saying that MMA fighter B should be able to beat MMA fighter C because B won in a fight against a hungover casual fighter with a limp. they're not even comparable right now.

also i like how you bring up history when you get all fanboy against NA, but fail to bring it up here. an EU team hasn't beaten a korean team in a bo5 for 3 years. and even then, they only did it once. FNC is looking real strong, so there's a chance that this is the year when it becomes 2, but you can't just ignore statistics when they don't suit you.

Bardiche

« Reply #409 on: October 17, 2015, 10:49:35 PM »
Spoiler:
If Fnatic wins Worlds, I'm probably not getting that Poro icon. :(

Aba Matindesu!

• keep it gwiyoming
  • DASEU RAESISSEU
« Reply #410 on: October 18, 2015, 03:47:05 AM »
Spoiler:
At this point I'm hoping for an enormous upset because I kinda want skins from a new team

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #411 on: October 18, 2015, 11:34:51 AM »
uh.
Spoiler:
also i like how you bring up history when you get all fanboy against NA, but fail to bring it up here. an EU team hasn't beaten a korean team in a bo5 for 3 years. and even then, they only did it once. FNC is looking real strong, so there's a chance that this is the year when it becomes 2, but you can't just ignore statistics when they don't suit you.

Because I'm bringing up more recent; more relevant cases? Fnatic vs SKT? Which happened this year? And is the two teams I am talking about? A more recent event supersedes a older one. Especially when both Gambit and CJ are not involved. How is an event 3 years ago involving none of the teams even in this event relevant in any way? It's not like when I was talking about NA's record of performance, where I was specifically talking about past achievements of regions. I'm specifically talking about current; and future; events.

Fact is:
Fnatic took SKT to 5 games last time they faced each other

SKT lost to EDG in the last Bo5 they played against each other

So Fnatic 3-0'ing EDG is a very encouraging sign [And while they were behind in the remade game; most analysts agree Fnatic was actually winning because EDG was losing the race against the clock hard.]. SKT didn't drop a game either; but those were Bo1's; which is fundamentally different to a Bo5.

KT and KOO are weaker teams than SKT. Fnatic can take SKT to 5 games and 3-0 a team with the potential to beat SKT. So Fnatic are certainly the favorite regardless of which team they face. How much weaker is KT than SKT? They played each other in a Bo5 at the end of the summer split. SKT won 3-0. For reference about KOO; they also played a Bo5 in the same event. KT won 3 games to 2, so they are around the same level. SKT is on another level to the rest of the Korean teams. They can 3-0 the #2 team in their region. That is how much weaker KT and KOO are than SKT.

Evidence of prior, pretty recent events shows Fnatic can hold their own with SKT; while the other teams in Korea are far behind SKT. By that evidence, it's pretty safe to say Fnatic *should* quite easily beat KOO/KT in a BO5, using the team's performances in their most recent games against SKT as benchmarks. Even without bringing in the EDG 3-0.

We'll get another idea of how things should go with SKT vs OG. OG managed to take Fnatic to 5 games, but lost. OG also managed to 3-1 the Flash Wolves; who took a game off of KOO [Who we know are around the same level of KT; provided levels haven't changed much since the playoffs in the LCK.] Honestly while I think OG will lose to SKT I will be very surprised if it is a 3-0. Fnatic vs SKT is what I think the final will be and either way I think it's 5 games.

But to say Fnatic are not the significant favorites against KT/KOO, when you look at each team's respective performances against SKT, is overselling KT/KOO and underselling Fnatic. Using performances against SKT as a benchmark KT/KOO should lose to Fnatic. It might be closer than EDG. It might not be. They never got to play against EDG. I can't judge EDG's current level against KT/KOO.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 11:49:20 AM by Raikaria »

Ryuu

• time to press r again
« Reply #412 on: October 19, 2015, 01:35:21 AM »
Because I'm bringing up more recent; more relevant cases? Fnatic vs SKT? Which happened this year? And is the two teams I am talking about? A more recent event supersedes a older one.

except you're ignoring so much fuckin context. SKT has had a lot of a harder time in LCK summer than FNC did in EU. more competition breeds more skill.

Especially when both Gambit and CJ are not involved. How is an event 3 years ago involving none of the teams even in this event relevant in any way? It's not like when I was talking about NA's record of performance, where I was specifically talking about past achievements of regions. I'm specifically talking about current; and future; events.

first off, you really need to learn when to use a semicolon because you always do it wrong. here: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+use+a+semicolon

also, you can't ignore history just because it doesn't suit you. the two teams you are talking about did play in a BO5. FNC lost. that's history. that's relevant.

a region failing to beat another region is also always relevant when teams from the two regions meet up. like i said before, competition breeds more skill. korea is a far harder region than EU, straight up. that's why it's important to look at the history--the last time an EU team was strong enough to beat korea was literally years ago. you have to look at the strength of the scene between then and now, draw comparisons between the two scenes. korea was stronger than EU then. it remained stronger throughout the years. it appears to still be stronger.

Fact is:
Fnatic took SKT to 5 games last time they faced each other

you're, once again, ignoring a ridiculous amount of context. what was the meta back then? did it favor certain players over others? how much time did the teams have to prepare for the meta? you can't just say "a team did this when the game was totally different" and use that single point of data alone to extrapolate anything. you have to look at the meta, look at how players perform in that meta, what team styles fit the meta the best, who has to adapt the most, etc.

what this data point actually says is this: in the context of the meta that MSI took place in, FNC was strong enough to take SKT to all five games. this means, as long as either team doesn't show significant change, FNC should have the capabilities to take them to 5 games and possibly win this time. however, both teams showed improvement after MSI. both teams performed much better in the summer split than in the spring split. this is significant b/c, like i said above, korea is much more difficult than EU. SKT has shown incredible prowess towards the end of the summer split, and at worlds so far. FNC, however, has shown a lot of errors in their play at worlds. they have been improving quickly, but you can't just ignore the shit happening right in front of you because you want EU to win so bad.

SKT lost to EDG in the last Bo5 they played against each other

So Fnatic 3-0'ing EDG is a very encouraging sign [And while they were behind in the remade game; most analysts agree Fnatic was actually winning because EDG was losing the race against the clock hard.]. SKT didn't drop a game either; but those were Bo1's; which is fundamentally different to a Bo5.

and, once again(what a surprise!), you're ignoring a shitload of context. the EDG that beat SKT is not today's EDG. china as a region has been full of problems. i've already listed them a billion times but you've shown yourself incapable of acknowledging basic facts when they don't suit you so i'm not gonna bother listing them again.

KT and KOO are weaker teams than SKT. Fnatic can take SKT to 5 games and 3-0 a team with the potential to beat SKT.

the EDG at worlds had no potential to beat SKT. at all. literally none. did you even watch the group stage?

So Fnatic are certainly the favorite regardless of which team they face.

uh. there are lot of analysts who are paid to be smarter about this than you who disagree with you. FNC can definitely beat KT/KOO, but they are by no means favorites.

How much weaker is KT than SKT? They played each other in a Bo5 at the end of the summer split. SKT won 3-0. For reference about KOO; they also played a Bo5 in the same event. KT won 3 games to 2, so they are around the same level. SKT is on another level to the rest of the Korean teams. They can 3-0 the #2 team in their region. That is how much weaker KT and KOO are than SKT.

this is kind of just proving my point but whatever. let's ignore basically all the context possible to paint FNC to win.

Evidence of prior, pretty recent events shows Fnatic can hold their own with SKT; while the other teams in Korea are far behind SKT. By that evidence, it's pretty safe to say Fnatic *should* quite easily beat KOO/KT in a BO5, using the team's performances in their most recent games against SKT as benchmarks. Even without bringing in the EDG 3-0.

the thing is that you're not even looking at the data correctly. you're bringing up data points that are relevant, yes, but you're forgetting context. again. you can't just say "x team beat y team this one time so there!" because teams being better than one another isn't a fucking math equation(yet another thing we've already been over), you have to talk about the players, the meta, their environment, etc.

like, it's really telling about how you argue that you spend so much time talking about FNC's data points, but literally never mention steeelback. literally one of the biggest supporting factors to your argument, and you ignore it, because it's not an easily referable piece of data that you can google and slap into a post. just another thing that shows that you don't really seem to understand how analysis of teams actually works, and that you aren't actually paying much attention to the scene(especially outside of EU) at all.

But to say Fnatic are not the significant favorites against KT/KOO, when you look at each team's respective performances against SKT, is overselling KT/KOO and underselling Fnatic. Using performances against SKT as a benchmark KT/KOO should lose to Fnatic. It might be closer than EDG. It might not be. They never got to play against EDG. I can't judge EDG's current level against KT/KOO.

you're really overselling FNC. are they good? yes. can they beat KT/KOO? yes. are they the favorites? absolutely not. we have no data on FNC playing against korean teams on this patch. there are a lot of factors that don't have clear answers. marin is historically good on these tanky fighters that are popular, but huni shows a lot of prowess on these more power based top laners that have been shown to be able to beat their tankier counterparts. but, can huni beat marin consistently? we don't have much data to go off of here.

reignover and bengi are pretty comparable this tournament imo, but bengi's players seem to be a lot stronger than reignover's on the whole.

febiven did solo kill faker. this is pretty significant because it shows that they're able to go toe to toe, especially because the mid lane meta is not all that different from previously. they also both have pretty big champion pools.

bang is probably just better than rekkles. yellowstar seems better than wolf. bot lane could go either way, but roaming will also play a huge factor into it.

but really, all of this isn't even relevant yet(which is why i'm not even bothering going in-depth), because of how much you're overselling FNC. their semi-final match is going to be a real battle, so you should really be thinking about how they compare to today's winner. it's not just a free win like you're acting like it is. they have a very, very, very real chance at losing.

tbh really what i'm getting at is this: stop talking about the pro scene like you know what you're talking about unless you're willing to back your statements up with data, facts, comparisons, reasonable predictions, examinations of players and the meta, etc. etc. you have shown time and time again that whenever EU is involved, you just assume EU is gonna win. you have also shown time and time again that you don't really understand how to do a proper analysis of basically anything in the game. either post a real, in-depth look at matchups with supporting data and facts, or please stop shitting up the thread with walls of text with random data points that ignore every piece of context that goes against what you want it to say.

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #413 on: October 19, 2015, 11:47:18 AM »
I'm just not even going to bother responding to you considering you tell me to back it up with data and facts when I just did that exact thing using the most recent series each team played against SKT as evidence. I'm not sure what sort of better evidence can be provided when making predictions. And saying I always say EU will win when I have said repeatedly that I think OG will lose and that Fnatic/SKT is SKT favored [Head says STK wins heart says Fnatic] is funny.

Anyway, some champion voices for the Japanese version have been released:
You can see them here

Of particular note is that Twisted Fate is voiced by the guy who did Dio Brando in JJBA. So they're bringing in some pretty good VA's. Wonder if there's any other ones I know. I don't know voice actors that well.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 11:50:37 AM by Raikaria »

Ryuu

• time to press r again
« Reply #414 on: October 19, 2015, 09:27:50 PM »
I'm just not even going to bother responding to you considering you tell me to back it up with data and facts when I just did that exact thing using the most recent series each team played against SKT as evidence. I'm not sure what sort of better evidence can be provided when making predictions.

not reading 90% of the post 101. i mentioned over and over to draw comparisons between players, examine the meta, etc. numbers are just one part of the entire process. a small piece of the whole.

Of particular note is that Twisted Fate is voiced by the guy who did Dio Brando in JJBA. So they're bringing in some pretty good VA's. Wonder if there's any other ones I know. I don't know voice actors that well.

quick list from reddit

Uesaka Sumire (Jinx) - Shalltear (Overlord)
Fujiwara Keiji (Master Yi) - Colonel Hughes (FMA) Shiro Fujimoto (Blue Exorcist) Holland Novak (Eureka Seven)
Yuuki Aoi (Lulu) - Madoka (...Madoka) Hibiki Tachibana (Symphogear) Yuuki Konno (SAO)
Hanae Natsuki (Ziggs) - Inaho (Aldnoah.zero) Kaneki (Tokyo Ghoul) Takumi Aldini (Food Wars) Arima (Your Lie in April)

idk if this is confirmed but annie also sounds like rie kugimiya, tsundere queen. TF also seems to be dio(idk who voices dio)

Bardiche

« Reply #415 on: October 20, 2015, 11:49:58 AM »

Getting nerfs, RIP.

There's this voice changer stuff for League, but I think I prefer the English voices, crazily enough.

Mr. Sacchi

• All shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.
  • Not postponed. Not in the end. Not for long.
« Reply #416 on: October 21, 2015, 12:37:15 AM »
So I've recently been banging my head against a very, very stupid person that genuinely believes that the existence of Grievous Wounds is what makes Soraka bad and they should remove Grievous Wounds from the game. The same person also genuinely believes that Jungle is Kindred's worst role. Yes, even when compared to support.

Now, obviously enough this person is stupid, but it got me thinking -- why exactly isn't Soraka used? Is she just off-meta or she just genuinely bad? Can somebody that actually plays Soraka shed some light here? I mean, an AoE Silence + Snare is nothing to sneeze at, and she has a lot of healing power, especially from her ultimate, so that makes me kind of confused as to why she isn't used.

Aba Matindesu!

• keep it gwiyoming
  • DASEU RAESISSEU
« Reply #417 on: October 21, 2015, 01:05:37 AM »

Really off-topic, but I wonder if this is the real AmazingJ.

Now, obviously enough this person is stupid, but it got me thinking -- why exactly isn't Soraka used? Is she just off-meta or she just genuinely bad? Can somebody that actually plays Soraka shed some light here? I mean, an AoE Silence + Snare is nothing to sneeze at, and she has a lot of healing power, especially from her ultimate, so that makes me kind of confused as to why she isn't used.

She was used by TiP Adrian in playoffs and she looked ridiculously good there, but she's probably not used now because more coordinated teams can dive her and easily make it a 4v5.

Bardiche

« Reply #418 on: October 21, 2015, 01:15:39 AM »
So I've recently been banging my head against a very, very stupid person that genuinely believes that the existence of Grievous Wounds is what makes Soraka bad and they should remove Grievous Wounds from the game. The same person also genuinely believes that Jungle is Kindred's worst role. Yes, even when compared to support.

Soraka's pretty rough to use, in that she takes quite a lot of kiting skill to play right in team fights. Her laning also is obnoxious. A good Soraka is annoying to play against.

Jungle Kindred isn't necessarily "better" than Lane Kindred, but it's a sure lot easier to get the stacks you want. I play Kindred ADC and Jungle mostly, but she's certainly viable in top and mid as well. Just ADC Kindred needs to do well in lane (READ: GET GANKS and/or a good all-in Support) in order to build those stacks, whereas Jungle Kindred has a lot more freedom in picking her fights and more ability to roam. I'd say she's probably stronger jungle than ADC, because you have agency of your own and don't require your team to set up kills for you.

Devourer is also pretty strong on her.

The extra gold from being botlane farming helps if you can't get the marks as a Jungle Kindred, though. She's just weak until stacked.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 01:18:29 AM by Bardiche »

Ryuu

• time to press r again
« Reply #419 on: October 21, 2015, 01:23:58 AM »
she's incredibly squishy and has to literally kill herself to heal people. she only has one form of hard CC and it has a very delayed effect. a lot of teams look for their support to have primary engage potential(braum, thresh, etc.) which soraka just can't do. to use her CC in a competitive environment, she's gonna require her enemies to basically already be disabled.

in a solo queue environment, she doesn't have enough playmaking ability or autonomy. her function is more of a play denier, but that's not going to help when people have a tendancy to get fucked faster than your ult will come off of cooldown. not only that, but the trade-off to having a global "nope" is basically being unable to set up any sort of plays in lane unless your enemies faceplant into all of your spells. just about every other support has better playmaking ability in lane, in teamfights, in ganks, etc. while also having decent, comparable and sometimes even superior defensive capabilities.

let's compare to braum's shield in an example. let's say soraka is laning with tristana against a caitlyn/morgana lane. tristana eats a binding, gets pooled, and also gets hit by a peacemaker and headshot. in this scenario, tristana would possibly have to flash to survive as these spells would be several hundred damage even early on. afterwords, soraka would have to essentially give around half to three-fourth's of her health bar to tristana to keep her in lane. this makes the already immobile soraka even more at risk to dying to a gank or by getting picked by a binding. however, if tristana's support was braum, the scenario would be a lot different. by jumping to tristana and using his shield, he eats the damage of the binding. though he'd be CC'd, the shield would greatly reduce the damage of incoming auto attacks and the peacemaker(additionally preventing it from hitting tristana behind him). not only does he greatly reduce damage via his shield, but he's also taking less damage due to his higher base stats, better defensive scaling, and the bonus stats on his w.

i'm too lazy and bad at math to put the exact calculations down(if someone else would like to, by all means please do so), but generally speaking, both of these supports are doing the same thing--trying to minimize the impact of their partner's mistake by trading their own HP for that of their partner's. however, in most scenarios, it's really likely that braum will spend less effective health doing this than soraka, while also having a shitload more utility and playmaking potential throughout all stages of the game.