Author Topic: Monster Hunter: Generations - Nostalgia edition  (Read 6640 times)

CenturyEgg

• Gentle older sister types are the best!
    • My world cosplay account
Monster Hunter: Generations - Nostalgia edition
« on: July 18, 2016, 02:59:26 AM »
Starting a mh:gen thread to gather hunters! Be it for chatting or actual online hunts. A short intro to your hunter would be nice as well!

Main weapons: hammer, insect glaive, dual blade and bow. Occasionally greatsword and chargeaxe.

MatsuriSakuragi

Re: Monster Hunter: Generations - Nostalgia edition
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 05:48:57 AM »
Let's start up #monster-meido again, shall we?

Picked it up but haven't played more than a few minutes. Will probably main Insect Glaive and Great Sword, as I did in MH4U.

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 06:02:35 AM »
A friend pushed and pushed me to get this. Haven't played 4u but did have a lot of fun with 3u and 3 portable.
Honestly have no idea which weapon to pick.
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour

CenturyEgg

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 06:15:04 AM »
A friend pushed and pushed me to get this. Haven't played 4u but did have a lot of fun with 3u and 3 portable.
Honestly have no idea which weapon to pick.

Let's narrow it down, heavy hitter or DPS? Element or Raw? Melee or ranged? Going ranged from the start will strain your resources slightly though.

And you'll have to think of hunter arts as well haha. Not playing 4u would probably make the aerial style a little alien to you though, not that it is very hard to grasp.

edit: Or you can play as a cat
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 06:25:41 AM by CenturyEgg »

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
  • 90 Frames per Second GO!
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 06:43:27 AM »
Can confirm that playing as cat is great

Despite how redundant it sounds like, Aerial IG is loads of fun; that forward vault is one of the safest, fastest, and spammable approach options :V

Guild/Striker Switch Axe is my thing, though. Infinite sword gauge for days.

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 07:23:13 AM »
I personally do not like the game, due to simply how much damage soaks the monsters tend to be.

However, my brother loves the thing and since he dosen't have his own DS; he uses mine.

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

Amraphenson

• The problem is, you're a friend that likes to talk!
  • ...well, I am too!
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2016, 08:27:05 AM »
raik why do you arbitrarily feel the need to tell everyone you don't like the game you're not playing, in a thread of people who like the game and are looking for other people who like the game
it's like answering a personal ad knowing you fit none of the parameters and won't like the person who posted the ad

anyways monster-meido will be back up and I'll be dusting off the old op spot once I'm back from vegas. look forward to it
Sugoiiii~
[23:02] <~Iced> You have sown the seeds of your own destruction Amra.
[23:20] <Stuffman> enjoy your personally crafted hell Amra

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2016, 09:06:11 PM »
Ah, good. Somebody made a MH Gen thread, so now I don't have to.  :V

Yep. Another hunter here. I play all of the classes.

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2016, 11:04:14 PM »
raik why do you arbitrarily feel the need to tell everyone you don't like the game you're not playing, in a thread of people who like the game and are looking for other people who like the game
it's like answering a personal ad knowing you fit none of the parameters and won't like the person who posted the ad

anyways monster-meido will be back up and I'll be dusting off the old op spot once I'm back from vegas. look forward to it

Because I wanted to share that while I do not like it; my brother does. Thus while I do not personally play, I might have a thing or two to ask about on his behalf or something.

Basically; I'm saying 'while I don't personally like it I have an interest in this thread on the behalf of someone else'.

And it's a lot easier for me to remember to read a thread when it's tagged with my own post and I get reply notifications.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 11:07:12 PM by Raikaria »

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

Iced Fairy

• So like if you try to hurt alkaza
  • I will set you on fire k'?
    • Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2016, 11:21:39 PM »
The games story seems pretty flat compared to 4U or even 3U.  It's pretty much 100% nostalgia without much else.  And the tutorial missions were fairly lacking.  But the quality of life changes are sweet.  And the styles are good fun times.  I'm abusing Aerial Dual Blades as much as possible while the monsters are slow and dumb.  The extra slash when you're in demon mode is great for hitting things in the face.  Turned Cephelodrome into a chump, whereas normally I had to switch to switch axe.

Edit : I tried prowler mode.  My cat is stronger then me. :V
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 03:11:52 AM by Iced Fairy »

CenturyEgg

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2016, 08:35:09 AM »
So far I'm been playing mostly guild and adept styles though, since I'm personally not fond of the mount spamming that aerial winds up doing. The only weapon I have tried striker for is SnS and holy crap it is a beast.

Just for hilarity. Using a Naruga weapon along with its armor and SnS affinity oil gives you 100% critical rate. It is.... very satisfying to watch all the red sparks flying when you strike the monster

Dormio Ergo Sum

• MotK's Official Idlebot
  • I don't bite... much.
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2016, 11:23:42 PM »
I hate you so much, Amra.

Giratina93

• The Great Titan of a Lost Realm
  • Behold, the Dark Lord of Distortion sees all
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2016, 05:13:24 PM »
This game is fun. There's just something cathartic about murdering Seregios, Zinogre, and Tigrex as a felyne. Infinite items FTW!

Unlocking everything in this game is beyond cryptic. There's no hints as to what quests unlock which hunter arts, and the changes to the monster spawn points from FU, 3U, or 4U (Depending on the monster) is quite annoying.  :V
Why... why must weak humans destroy their world? Why can they not preserve that which they see so dear to them? Why must all life perish before immortality?

CenturyEgg

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2016, 02:04:55 AM »
This game is fun. There's just something cathartic about murdering Seregios, Zinogre, and Tigrex as a felyne. Infinite items FTW!

Unlocking everything in this game is beyond cryptic. There's no hints as to what quests unlock which hunter arts, and the changes to the monster spawn points from FU, 3U, or 4U (Depending on the monster) is quite annoying.  :V

The obvious answer is to be completionist about it haha. But Felynes are really powerful. I just unlocked the 3 Elder dragons in HR3 and wandered into a Teostra fight with the wrong weapon (Thunder weapon from Zinogre) Despite not having any real advantage against Teostra, I somehow downed it at around the 15 minute mark. The dps of the boomerang combo is amazing

Hikarin

• 別に意味はない。
  • 本当にメイドですね。。。
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2016, 04:06:24 AM »
IS MHGe worth getting? I've played 4U and 3U, and they were both good, but this sounds like it might be more of the same. Is that the case, or does it add enough to keep the series fresh?

If it matters, I play DB and Bow, with the occasional CB on slower Monsters.

PADherder <3 Updated 8/13/2017!

CenturyEgg

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2016, 06:40:37 AM »
IS MHGe worth getting? I've played 4U and 3U, and they were both good, but this sounds like it might be more of the same. Is that the case, or does it add enough to keep the series fresh?

I'll point you to the Bushido style for DB and Bow, really cool but it almost makes it too easy at some point. They did add some tricky monsters who will exploit and punish you for bushido evades though, so it isn't a sure win. Plus if you play dual blades you will have to check out the Wolf's maw hunter art.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_KjWUykDBQ

I would describe MHgen as Mh4U but with more combinations to explore. The new hunter styles and hunter arts are fun but somehow the monsters don't feel like they have been given much of a buff, so it makes your hunter feel really strong at the moment.

Amraphenson

• The problem is, you're a friend that likes to talk!
  • ...well, I am too!
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2016, 06:56:46 AM »

the addition of styles pretty much means there's four times as many weapons as before, though not exactly. Aerial style tends to feel really different but sort of one note, bushido/adept is very technical and situational but powerful, while striker lends to a very flashy hunter art sort of fight. Bow in particular has gotten a lot of interesting changes: power coating now has a level 2, there's element coating, and there's a new shot type called heavy that just shoots one huge ass short ranged arrow. You can also combo two backsteps straight into your max charge, which will probably be stupid good with evade extender and pierce shot. It's fun and different.
Sugoiiii~
[23:02] <~Iced> You have sown the seeds of your own destruction Amra.
[23:20] <Stuffman> enjoy your personally crafted hell Amra

Hikarin

• 別に意味はない。
  • 本当にメイドですね。。。
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2016, 01:03:33 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_KjWUykDBQ

That emergency evade charge abuse :V
Not to mention his skill with normal evades :V
I can see how DB would be good with Hunter Skills.
Yeah...

the addition of styles pretty much means there's four times as many weapons as before, though not exactly. Aerial style tends to feel really different but sort of one note, bushido/adept is very technical and situational but powerful, while striker lends to a very flashy hunter art sort of fight. Bow in particular has gotten a lot of interesting changes: power coating now has a level 2, there's element coating, and there's a new shot type called heavy that just shoots one huge ass short ranged arrow. You can also combo two backsteps straight into your max charge, which will probably be stupid good with evade extender and pierce shot. It's fun and different.

Yeah, I played the demo a bit, but I haven't tried the new Bow stuff. It sounds interesting, if only because of the backstep combo, so I'll try it out in the demo later today. Hunter Arts sound really... broken. But maybe I'm biased now because of that video.

On the topic of, how's Insect Glaive doing?

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
  • 90 Frames per Second GO!
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2016, 02:04:15 PM »
Despite how redundant it sounds, Aerial Glaive is really good. It is almost identical to Guild, but being able to leap 10 meters in one vault and attack 3+ times in a single vault is really potent.

Hunter skills are flashy, but they aren't really OP (with a few exceptions like SA Demon Riot+Energy Charge). Many leave you in the animation for a while and only a few have invulnerability frames.

Hikarin

• 別に意味はない。
  • 本当にメイドですね。。。
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2016, 03:04:05 PM »
Hmm... I think I'll pick up the game next month or something.

Time to spend another 200+ hours on my 3DS!

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2016, 06:03:58 PM »
Adding to the topic regarding Bow and the interactions with Styles, Adept Style Bows can go straight into the Lv3 charge after an Adept Evade. just like the double-hop charge.
Some hunters I'm acquainted with are particularly fond of it. I haven't yet got many worthwhile bows to use it with myself though, so I rarely use them...Unless it's a low-end hunt that I can afford to be sloppy on both due to my bow-using skills garnered from back in Freedom Unite having atrophied with disuse and the fact that bows have changed considerably since then.
(and thus, I need to get used to the more recent iterations of Bows.)
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

CenturyEgg

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2016, 06:13:30 AM »
Iirc you'll probably get the best results playing adept with a spread bow, since to get the constant quick lvl3 charges you'd have to be reasonably close to the monster. This winds you always hanging around the critical distance of spread type shots and a slightly more risky style of play (hence more exciting because masochism :v)

I'm running the shagaru armor wth teostra's bow for low rank. It loses out because you dont have focus, but normal up and unscathed are great damage boosters. With the help of a talisman I added bombardier.

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2016, 07:55:35 AM »
Never played a monster hunter game, is it worth picking up?

Giratina93

• The Great Titan of a Lost Realm
  • Behold, the Dark Lord of Distortion sees all
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2016, 06:10:01 PM »
Never played a monster hunter game, is it worth picking up?

Yes. The grind for certain drops can be annoying, but you will never have the same kind of hunt twice. Every hunt is its own adventure, and the series has never been so easy to get into (Though some of the unlockables are cryptic as hell without an online guide)
Why... why must weak humans destroy their world? Why can they not preserve that which they see so dear to them? Why must all life perish before immortality?

CenturyEgg

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2016, 10:13:13 AM »
And if you derive pleasure from delivering eggs safely through hordes of critters trying to make you drop it this game ia a definite yes.

I just got to hr7 quests. Holy crap deviant and hyper monsters really hurt