Author Topic: Creating a card game. Want opinions.  (Read 3922 times)

Creating a card game. Want opinions.
« on: May 05, 2016, 05:28:15 PM »
I am creating a card game for Touhou. No it is not another Bang Ripoff. This is kinda a mix between MTG, Pokemon, Yugioh, and other games with my own spin. One question I have for you guys is other than references to Touhou charachters, locales, and spell cards, what would you like to see in a Touhou card game.

Another question is about this template. What are your opinions of it, what would you change, ect.. I am having an internal battle about the noise effect on the border. Part of me likes it and another part of me doesnt.

Python

• Plains of Chi-u have no end.
  • They are boundless and last forever.
Re: Creating a card game. Want opinions.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 05:48:38 PM »
I feel like the noise makes it look low-quality. Personally I'd rather use an actual texture.
Have a look at my truly scrumptious scripts!.

PhantomSong

• The Ghost Living through Everyday Life.
  • Eh, it doesn't matter.
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 11:11:47 PM »
I highly suggest finding some free textures that you can find here to replace the noise in the background.

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 01:07:29 AM »
the noise is bad.

what would you like to see in a Touhou card game
a manual that doesn't have 2000 ruling pages like yu-gi-oh!
=> an easy-to-play card game.

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
  • 90 Frames per Second GO!
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 03:57:24 AM »
Well there's a pretty good example of one here on the forum already...

Judging by "No it is not another Bang Ripoff", the TC seems aware and critical of that already.

Do you have any alternative backgrounds we can look at yet?

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 06:50:24 AM »
Judging by "No it is not another Bang Ripoff", the TC seems aware and critical of that already.
Well okay, now that I'm aware that's supposed to be an insult towards Danmaku!!, allow me to present an actual content post.

For a total newbie to the forum, OP sure seems to think he's hot shit if he's trying to compare his eyesore card template to a professionally-designed card game.

The giant copyright box at the top takes up way too much space and is too much of an eyecatch. The ZUN copyright's just fine as small point 'Touhou Project (C) ZUN' over top the background, preferably on the bottom of the card like in 100% of all actual card games.

The card space is ugly and there's way too many colors. The colors clash as well for no real reason, and they're too pure. They'd be better at the very least as muted colors, like pastels or dark colors, depending on the background.

The background is bad static and awful choice in colors. Backgrounds are not supposed to draw attention, that's why they're backgrounds, not the centerpiece.

The card is covered in random kanji with zero indication of what the actual fuck they mean. I get that you're trying to rip off Yu Gi Oh's design here but at least the cards in the west have translations for the kanji included.

This isn't to mention that OP himself is trying to make a card game with a tried and tired premise (a deckbuilding CCG) and basically proves the point by noting he's basing the idea off 3+ card games at once. Don't make a critical pass of someone else's work while doing the same exact thing yourself but worse. If OP would try and base his card game off an original premise or a premise not oft seen (such as Moogs' card game) there might be inclination to actually care instead of handing in a scathing review of his idea and stock template.
 I can only imagine that even if he did get past designing a template or having any idea whatsoever about how his game is played, the next thing he'll do is probably just steal art off danbooru to use as card imagery. However OP seems to be thinking too many steps ahead and doesn't indicate he has any idea about how his game will be designed aside from ripping off successful CCGs.

Maybe OP shouldn't make a shitty pass at a quality card game though without even seeming to give it a good look, before presenting his own much less inspired idea.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 07:59:09 AM by NekoNekoRex »
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 07:53:41 PM »
First off how about you actually give a reason why you hate the idea. Secondly I am only making a game inspired by those games. Thirdly every game has its haters and you are the first I have recieved vs tons of positive feed back here and other forums. This card is just a mockup and the first draft I may say so thank you for your rude input on how the card looks because it will change. Fourthly the disclaimer cant just be (C)Zun or some interation of that because people assume things and they WILL assume this is an official Zun game if I put his name and nothing else. Fifthly no I will not rip off peoples artwork I am commisioning pieces for this game and will probably pay for them if the artist wishes. Sixthly I am in no way bashing Danmaku!! I find Danmaku!! To be a fun game. And before you start criticizing me for taking cues from other games and then at the same time chide me about Danmaku!! Just remeber that Danmaku!! Itself takes cues from other games. So I think I will continue with the project thank you very much. The only input you gave that I find even remotely useful is about the Kanji. I want this to have a japanese feel to it and that is one of the ways I thought would give that vibe. I do agree that someone with no knowledge of japanese will not know what they mean so in the next iteration they will have text with the kanji.

Now onto the people who actually gave input I can use.

I am scrapping the noise for the background and going with a solid fade using the type colors for each card. For instance this one is purple yellow so it will fade between those 2 colors. I am working on mock ups of the other card types and will have them ip as soon as possible.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 09:03:48 PM by Blackstarr580 »

PhantomSong

• The Ghost Living through Everyday Life.
  • Eh, it doesn't matter.
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 01:09:38 AM »
First off how about you actually give a reason why you hate the idea.
I think s/he gave really valid criticism, albeit a bit blunt.

Secondly I am only making a game inspired by those games.
Truthfully there's nothing wrong with this. Force of Will is an upcoming CCG that takes elements from games like MTG and YGO. However, this might be a bit dull because is true that it's a constantly used idea and it tends to become an issue when it comes to balancing, and in order to get the maximum potential of a card game, you will have to release more. People will find ways to abuse certain mechanics of your game and you're going to have to address those issues somehow.

Thirdly every game has its haters and you are the first I have recieved vs tons of positive feed back here and other forums
Honestly, most the feedback on here has been neutral if not negative. It's all done on a standpoint that "hey, the noise on the card doesn't look good."

Fourthly the disclaimer cant just be (C)Zun or some interation of that because people assume things and they WILL assume this is an official Zun game if I put his name and nothing else.
Considering most people playing this would be playing this game would be Touhou fans this probably wouldn't be an issue. However, on the off chance that it does get in the hands of someone unfamiliar to Touhou, you can still just put a disclaimer on whatever you're distributing the cards in. If that doesn't satisfy you, you could have the text be much smaller and in a bottom corner.

Sixthly I am in no way bashing Danmaku!! I find Danmaku!! To be a fun game. And before you start criticizing me for taking cues from other games and then at the same time chide me about Danmaku!! Just remeber that Danmaku!! Itself takes cues from other games.
No it is not another Bang Ripoff
This was an obvious rip towards the game. The difference with Danmaku!! and the game your presenting is that Danmaku!! had it's concept already solidified and could be applied  to any sort of theme from there. You have provided absolutely nothing for how your game will operate, yet you have a card design all figured out. It doesn't give many people viewing your game faith that you know what you're doing. 

So I think I will continue with the project thank you very much.
I don't think NekoNekoRex is telling you to cancel your project. I think s/he is only attacking fatal flaws to your project.

Your project seem to be a disorganized and you seem to be thinking way too far ahead. It's hard to be interested in a game that has no substance to show other than a very rough draft card template. I'd recommend you slow your progress down; figure out what you want the game to do, what it objectives are, and how it will play and then work on complex game mechanics and card designs later.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 01:12:47 AM by PhantomSong »

Drake

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2016, 01:33:49 AM »
From your one opening post I know absolutely nothing constructive about your game. I'm not sure what else anyone is supposed to offer you in this thread so far without any concrete information. If anything, saying that it will be inspired by MtG, Pokemon and Yugioh suggests enormous amounts of complexity that frankly speaking would be impossible to handle, because that's how those games are designed.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 01:35:26 AM by Drake »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -