Author Topic: I can't get CtC to run smoothly...  (Read 13489 times)

c l e a r

• Carousel of Agony
I can't get CtC to run smoothly...
« on: May 21, 2009, 05:26:45 PM »
I am sure I got the full version this time, the img files got cut-ins of white Reimu and Suika and all the trimings.

I tried to config menu, but nothing pops up. (not even w/ applocale)
The frame rates are really erratic, I guess it all depends on the number of bullets that are on the screen.

Any help would be great.

JormundElver

• Baron Von Parakeet
Re: I can't get CtC to run smoothly...
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 05:33:26 PM »
An old laptop I once used had the framerate killed by this game.  The only solution I could find was to go into the settings at the menu and turn basically backgrounds and whatnot off.  It looks really boring but it should run.

c l e a r

• Carousel of Agony
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 12:55:22 AM »
It's better, but it still lags like shit (40 fps vs. 25 fps [lol] before)

Anyone have a better solution?

SONIC BHOCOLATE STRIKER

• Doing >9000 Barrel Rolls
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 11:33:17 PM »
What are your computer's specs? The easiest way to tell is to give me the info from dxdiag (type it in a run dialog), specifically processor, ram, and video card.

CtC is made in Danmakufu, which is notorious for being a system resource hog.
I gotta have something for my sig, so...

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 05:29:09 PM »
They way they scripted CtC is notorious for being a system hog. Danmakufu actually processes quite a bit fairly fast, given when it was made, using what program, and who made it. CtC uses many needless function declarations and a dickstorm of needless drawing techniques that do nothing more than defecate on your CPU.

So here's how you make it run faster:

-Disable all the backgrounds, like you've done.
-Disable any background programs you're running, you'd be surprised what hogs your CPU (MSN, Firefox, whatever).
-Go into the folder where CtC is located (specifically, were the program "ze~.exe" is). There should be another program called config.exe in that same folder. Open it (may take a while to load). I've attached files for you to overwrite if you still can't open config.exe. On the lower left side of the window, there should be a section with four selectable bullets, and the far left one is probably selected (moontext). The two middle bullets will read "1/2" and "1/3", and the far right one is also moontext. This is your FPS reducer, specifically designed to reduce your drawing framerate. This means that instead of drawing everything at 60fps, which takes a shitload of processing power, it will draw everything at:
  • Full-speed (60FPS)
  • Half-speed (30FPS)
  • One-third-speed (20FPS)
  • Auto-adjust (Varying FPS, depending on what needs to be processed)
Note that this will not reduce your game-speed, so all the bullets and game functions will still be processed at 60FPS, but iut will reduce what it needs to draw to preserve processing power. You will not notice the difference between full-speed and half-speed, 30FPS is still too fast for the human eye to perceive, so try that first. You will probably notice a difference between full-speed and one-third-speed, it's almost choppy-looking. The last option I find works best (auto-adjust), it detects where to allocate your processing power and draws things accordingly. Choose this if you don't feel like testing it.

To save the settings, click OK.

Alright, now ze~.exe will be processed accordingly, and you should notice significant FPS improvement. Hopefully enough to bump you to near-60FPS. Have fun with CtC~.

I've attached a .rar with config.exe and config.txt adjusted to preform better. Just overwrite your old files with these two new ones, and it should work properly. See attached. And uh, save a copy of your current config.exe and config.txt, in case something fucks up.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 05:36:10 PM by Naut »

c l e a r

• Carousel of Agony
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 07:22:12 AM »
Runs much smoother now, thanks for the help.  Is it normal for it to drop down to 35 fps when there are a shit load of bullets on the board?

Another thing, whenever a spell card fizzles in CtC, capped or not.  It does this weird flash on the borders and it keeps flashing until another spell card comes up.

And I think the characters are finally having their own names under their lifebar now, haven't tested it all.  But unless Koakuma's name in CtC is not actually "Little Bitch" (wtfroflcopters wut?), I think I got that bit fixed.

LiteYear

• Touhou Fangame Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 11:28:09 PM »
Danmakufu and CtC in particular have been know to be processor hogs, so if you only have a moderate computer, a frame rate drop is not unheard of when the action gets hectic.  Still, you may want to look into the VSync patch (already a thread here).  The flashing border thing though, I've never encountered.

c l e a r

• Carousel of Agony
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 01:47:50 PM »
ok, so I was messing around a bit and I found out that only some backgrounds cause it to lack like shit, by some, I mean only one- Stage 5.  Anything else, whether there are a shit load of bullets on-screen, it would at least do near 40 fps.

So this only means one thing, get a better computer if I want ctc to run any better than 40 fps... -_-

Scratch that, I turned on EVERYTHING, and the game runs brilliantly and it doesn't look boring anymore.  It is just Stage 5's background, that freaking useless 3D cherry blossom tree is pretty much a hog to all the processing.

I assume the config that you put up is pretty much to use all the processing power, so that idea is out the window really.  Cause I still can't open config.exe at all.

But if someone could go into the image files and make alternations to it, could it also fix this "Stage 5 is being a dick" problem?  And this is not anything else, all of Yuyuko's and Youmu's Spell Cards run perfectly.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 04:09:50 PM by Clear »