Author Topic: Control lag?  (Read 54373 times)

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
Control lag?
« on: May 08, 2009, 11:08:00 PM »
Hi. I've recently noticed that in EoSD and PCB, there appears to be control lag for my right arrow key. When unfocused, it takes about 0.4 seconds for the game to have Marisa change directions when I release the arrow key. If anyone wouldn't mind, could they experiment and see if it's a problem with the game or just me? I'm not even sure if this has always been like this or not, but it's rather distressing.

The confusing part is that IN and on, and I'm pretty sure the PC-98 games have no such problems, and my loli stops on a dime when traveling in any direction.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

nintendonut888

Re: Control lag?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 01:45:44 AM »
This is not a very active board.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

nintendonut888

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 05:03:10 AM »
One last try before this sinks into the depths...never to be seen...again...

:'(

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 05:08:43 AM »
I get this for EoSD and PCB:

Holding down right moves Marisa to the right.
While holding down right, I also now hold left. Marisa moves to the left.

Holding down left moves Marisa to the left.
While holding down left, I also now hold right. Marisa still moves to the left.

---

I get this for IN+:

While holding down right, I also now hold left. Marisa still moves to the right.

While holding down left, I also now hold right. Marisa moves to the right.

---

Then, for MS:

While holding down right, I also now hold left. Marisa still moves to the left.

While holding down left, I also now hold right. Marisa moves to the right.

---

No delay in any case for me. All cases were unfocused; and could not produce your results.

Conclusion? The keyboard / CPU is messed. Going to investigate this further.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 11:58:26 AM by BaitySM »
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 05:11:42 AM »
This is not a very active board.
Yes, this isn't a very active board because it isn't a very big board, nor do many go to it. Be more patient when waiting for a response.

Anyway, yes, some games have lag: primarily EoSD, PCB, and IN. I've been able to cut down on some of the lag by disabling dsync (this makes PCB control a bit better, and it completely fixed IN's lag for me). However, I have no idea how to fully negate the lag experienced in EoSD and PCB.

nintendonut888

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 05:22:35 AM »
So it's not just me? That makes me feel much better, thanks.

...Wait, no it doesn't. Why do they have lag? D:

LtC

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2009, 05:29:12 AM »
Anyway, yes, some games have lag: primarily EoSD, PCB, and IN. I've been able to cut down on some of the lag by disabling dsync (this makes PCB control a bit better, and it completely fixed IN's lag for me). However, I have no idea how to fully negate the lag experienced in EoSD and PCB.
Yeah it's the same for me. The input lag in IN is in an okay level but PCB and EOSD have notable lag. I don't think there's a way to fix it unless someone somehow patches it, even though I hope there's a simple solution I don't know of.

I didn't have problem with playing on input lag in the past but now that I'm used to mostly to 0-1 frames of input lag it's kinda pain in the ass when I'm flying all over the place as the character can't keep up with me. I believe there's a program that lets you check the exact input lag but the person who I heard about it from couldn't find the link for it anymore. Maybe someone here knows?

ghost333

• A retired Lunatic
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2009, 08:18:34 AM »
i expierienxe lag on PCB when i bomb and when i try to go diagnally right-down.

Vile Lasagna

• Due to boredom
  • I'm mostly banned
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2009, 09:51:50 AM »
I'm not sure about the lag, as I have never experienced myself, but the thing with double commands (pressing left and right at the same time) is easy and is just a hard-coded issue. I'll make a guess here as to how Zun's coded it and you can sorta understand why is that.

You character has some numeric variables such as FocusedSpeed and UnfocusedSpeed. If it's behaving like this is because Zun is probably using also some logic variables (true/false), in this case particularly probably something like: IsMovingLeft, IsMovingRight, IsMovingUp, IsMovingDown, IsFocused.

The game update loop (which updates all numeric variables for that frame before it gets to be drawn onto the screen) is likely to work in two steps. First he captures the user input, to know which keys are pressed, altering variables as necessary (If UP is pressed, set IsMovingUp to TRUE....). After that it goes into the main update loop.
This part of the main update loop is probably what causes that. Seeing what is happening he's likely to be doing something like this:

If player is Focused:  Speed is FocusedSpeed
If not: Speed is Unfocused Speed.

If Player is moving horizontal, then:
          If player is MovingRight: Position is CurrentPosition + SpeedHorizontal
           If not (he is moving left): Position is CurrentPosition - SpeedHorizontal

and blah.

About the lag itself I don't really know what might be happening but I don't remember experiencing it either.
rofl bye

Alice

• 英雄不怕太陽高
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2009, 11:41:40 AM »
I've never experienced lag like that. Maybe your frame rate dropped?

nintendonut888

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2009, 06:32:58 PM »
My computer may suck, but give it some credit.

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2009, 03:01:16 AM »
How do I disable dsync (whatever that is)?

nintendonut888

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2009, 05:36:15 AM »
Yes, this isn't a very active board because it isn't a very big board, nor do many go to it. Be more patient when waiting for a response.

So what's this about disabling dsynch? Where is it? Ever since I realized there was so much control lag I haven't been able to enjoy this game. It's seriously something I wish I could unlearn.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 06:05:10 AM by nintendonut888 »

nintendonut888

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2009, 04:11:38 PM »
A patient bump.

LtC

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2009, 10:14:18 PM »
dunno what dsync is but disabling v-sync and Triple buffering usually affect input lag. How to disable them depends on your graphics card, but usually you should be able to do that on your graphics driver's settings.

I think most of the time it should be off by default anyways (or application specified) and in some cases it might not affect the input lag at all.

And you're most likely not going to be able to get rid of akk the input lag in EOSD and PCB.

nintendonut888

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2009, 11:22:42 PM »
None of those options are available on my graphics driver. >_>

Gpop

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2009, 12:16:23 AM »
Well I noticed that in SWR I receive some input lag on my laptop. On the other games I have no lag whatsoever.

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2009, 12:59:31 AM »
Yea PCB and EoSD has some huge input delay, it's really annoying. That's probably why when MoF/SA came out people thought the controls were hypersensitive but actually there was just no more delay.

LtC

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2009, 11:51:51 AM »
None of those options are available on my graphics driver. >_>
Depending on what you have you might be able to download some tools that let you configure those settings. You'll propably find something after one or two searches on google.

Although if you never felt like there was significant input delay in IN I'd say you already have them set as off. You're not going to get rid of the input lag from EOSD and PCB. Everyone has the input lag for those games.

nintendonut888

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2009, 06:56:43 PM »
Okay then. If nothing else, I finally know why I always sucked at unfocused movements in those games...

What causes the lag anyway? I know nothing of programming, but lag doesn't sound like the kind of thing that should be there or could be gotten rid of easily.

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2009, 11:55:55 PM »
I don't know if this is common knowledge, but VsyncPatch fixed the massive input lag in EoSD and PCB for me. Some very subtle lag is left, but that's probably inherent to the games.

From the 東方シリーズ VsyncPatch folder in the archive, put vpatch.exe, vpatch.ini and the respective vpatch_thxx.dll in the game's directory and run it with vpatch.exe. A nice side-feature is that you can Ctrl-skip replays in the older games now as well.

Zetzumarshen

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2009, 05:37:48 PM »
Awesome, Phar.

It really helpful, i felt like playing different game. I thought EoSD control was already good enough, but this patch really eliminates the lag.

Thank you very much.

EDIT : Am i playing Touhou right now? The feeling is very different.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 05:44:09 PM by Zetzumarshen »

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2009, 06:20:25 PM »
Holy CRAP, that VSync patch does absolute wonders.  After playing PCB for almost a year and getting used to its crappy input, switching to this feels like a completely different experience.  A thousand thanks for that patch Phar.

nintendonut888

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2009, 06:35:09 PM »
._. Looking forward to this when I get home.

Zetzumarshen

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2009, 06:58:44 PM »
I wonder after that Vsync patch was out for MoTK community there will be sudden increase of skill.

Mods, please sticky that patch, it is a staple for playing Touhou.

score.royalflare is going to be invaded...

EDIT : it felt like cheating. Sudden increase to 3,69B in IN because of said patch lolwut.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 07:53:21 PM by Zetzumarshen »

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2009, 08:44:02 PM »
I wonder after that Vsync patch was out for MoTK community there will be sudden increase of skill.

Mods, please sticky that patch, it is a staple for playing Touhou.

score.royalflare is going to be invaded...

EDIT : it felt like cheating. Sudden increase to 3,69B in IN because of said patch lolwut.

I think it was stickied in the old forums; it's where I found it in the first place. I'm surprised so few people seem to know of its existence.

Zetzumarshen

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2009, 09:01:06 PM »
I think it was stickied in the old forums; it's where I found it in the first place. I'm surprised so few people seem to know of its existence.

So, after lurking in MoTK for more than one year, i failed to find the patch?
I'm ashamed. Please, don't hit me for this, people ._.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 09:06:48 PM by Zetzumarshen »

FallenAngelV

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2009, 09:04:57 PM »
I don't know if this is common knowledge, but VsyncPatch fixed the massive input lag in EoSD and PCB for me. Some very subtle lag is left, but that's probably inherent to the games.

From the 東方シリーズ VsyncPatch folder in the archive, put vpatch.exe, vpatch.ini and the respective vpatch_thxx.dll in the game's directory and run it with vpatch.exe. A nice side-feature is that you can Ctrl-skip replays in the older games now as well.

Well damn, PCB just became playable again. The patch isn't working for EoSD though (it refuses to start), and I have no idea why. Might need to reacquire a fresh copy of the game from somewhere.

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2009, 09:50:01 PM »
Well damn, PCB just became playable again. The patch isn't working for EoSD though (it refuses to start), and I have no idea why. Might need to reacquire a fresh copy of the game from somewhere.

It requires the game .exe to have the original name. So for EoSD, this is 東方紅魔郷.exe (you can rename the English .exe to this to keep the game in English)

FallenAngelV

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2009, 09:57:41 PM »
It requires the game .exe to have the original name. So for EoSD, this is 東方紅魔郷.exe (you can rename the English .exe to this to keep the game in English)

You're a star. I did try renaming the .exe to th06 (assumed that was the default), but wasn't sure what to do when that didn't work. Anyways, it's working fine now.