Author Topic: Which game has the WORST music?  (Read 49790 times)

Re: Which game has the WORST music?
« Reply #90 on: March 24, 2010, 08:03:56 PM »
How is Necrofantasia better than Necrofantasy?

Anytime I have fight Yukari, which is rare, I have to turn the volume down more while Necrofantasy isn't complete crap.

« Reply #91 on: March 24, 2010, 08:08:45 PM »
How is Necrofantasia better than Necrofantasy?

It isn't. ^_^

Helion

• I am the very model of a scientist salarian
« Reply #92 on: March 24, 2010, 08:20:41 PM »

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #93 on: March 24, 2010, 08:25:21 PM »
BATTLE TO THE DEATH ABOUT MUSICAL PREFERENCES GO!
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

« Reply #94 on: March 24, 2010, 08:47:35 PM »
Damn right.

Luna Dial shouldn't be listed in the "Worst Music"-Thread, and it isn't mere music - it is better.
Damn straight.

It is.
It isn't.

« Reply #95 on: March 24, 2010, 10:18:49 PM »
PCB
Bad music, depressing as well. Border of Life has some parts that shine and some that suck. Necrofantasy is so terrible ZUN had to remix it into something completely different for Necrofantasia to sound good.

Whoa. Its staggering how different people's music tastes are. I don't think there is a single song in PCB that sucks. They are all awesome. For every time i chose PCB for a stage or boss it is only because all the other games provided superior alternatives. In my opinion of course.

But... you seem to dislike the PCB music... you have my condolences.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #96 on: March 24, 2010, 10:34:18 PM »
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Helion

« Reply #97 on: March 24, 2010, 10:43:01 PM »
I despise the depressing nature of PCB's music. I like it all until stage 3.
Then the only "like" I have after that is for Border of Life.
Necro Fantasy I find too moody and monotonous, whereas Necrofantasia is at least melodious.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #98 on: March 24, 2010, 11:15:56 PM »
Necro Fantasy I find too moody and monotonous, whereas Necrofantasia is at least melodious
Whaddayatalk? They're both melodious.

Necrofantasia's harmony does have a more solid structure to it, I'll give it that, but other factors make it worse (i.e. inferior sound dynamics, instrumentation).
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Formless God

« Reply #99 on: March 24, 2010, 11:32:47 PM »
Necrofantasia is like playing four ]-[|/34<#! at once.

Hideki

• ~La, la, la~
  • Texas Chensaw Massacre
« Reply #100 on: March 25, 2010, 12:37:00 AM »
I despise the depressing nature of PCB's music. I like it all until stage 3.
Then the only "like" I have after that is for Border of Life.
Necro Fantasy I find too moody and monotonous, whereas Necrofantasia is at least melodious.
I don't find PCB's music depressing at all.  In fact, I think it's quite, well not quite upbeat (save for the Prismrivers) but uplifting.  Sure, it doesn't get your blood boiling quite like SA's late stages, but I prefer this. (My preferences show through my favorite remixes; So far my favorite groups are TAM and WAVE with the classical stuff. Not the hard remixes.)

Badass bookworms

Axel Ryman

• Fear me
« Reply #101 on: March 25, 2010, 01:05:05 AM »
I could just list individual stages and such, but instead I'll just detail my likes/dislikes from each game.

EoSD:

Besides Apparitions Stalk the Night, all songs Pre-Stage 4, as well as stage themes for 4,6 and EX, are a bit on my dislike list. Beloved Tomboyish Daughter would also be an exception, but I mostly like the remixes for that theme. The Locked Girl, Septette for the Dead Princess, and U.N. Owen are some of my favorites, with Lunar Clock Lunar Dial being my absolute fave. I blame the fact I like a bit of metal/rock in my Touhou.

PCB:
Most of the songs in this game are enjoyable to me, probably because it was the first Touhou game I ever played. I honestly think that every song in this game is not hated by me in any way, though my most favorite would have to be Phantom Ensemble. I think I have soft spot for songs that have violins in them. Some songs like the Stage 1 theme, Stage 2, and Chen's boss theme aren't the best but they are enjoyable.

IN
In all honesty, this ranks 3rd on my least favorite in terms of games. To me, if I can remember how a theme goes, it means I like it. While trying to recall themes, IN was probably the one that I least remembered without having to replay it. Mystia's stage and boss theme is definitely one of my favorites though, with Love Coloured Master Spark, Cinderella Cage, and Gensokyo Millenium also being up there. Most of the other songs though just aren't too good for me.

IN
Since most of it is just remixes I can't really comment much about it.

PoFV
Similar to IN, though I will say that the music was somewhat terrible. While a few gems were there(Higan Retour, and Fate of the Sixtieth Year..was that what it was?I forgot), most of the other songs just made me wanna mute the computer. And about Youmu's theme...completely agree! Till When should of been used instead of something I could fall asleep to.

StB
This game had music?

MoF
This one ranks number one on my least favorite. While having more songs that I like compared to PoFV, the music in most of the game was just extremely lackluster. While I didn't give much of an eye to Nitori's theme, after hearing a certain vocal version, I started liking it a little bit more. Fall of Falls~Autumn Waterfall, Faith is for the Transient People and The Venerable Ancient Battlefield are the only themes I like in this game. Everything else just disappoints me.

SWR
Similar to IaMP, but Tenshi's theme and Reisen's remix are pretty good.

SA
1st stage is good, boss theme is okay, 2nd stage is good, boss is okay, 3rd stage is okay, boss is good, 4th stage is okay, boss is amazing, 5th stage is okay, boss is good, 6th stage is not so good, boss is great. I know I'm not going too well into this one, but it doesn't stand out too well, but it's not that bad. It's 4th on my least favorite though.

UNL
Faith is for the Transient People remix is nice, but the others aren't too nice. Well Solar Sect of Mystic Wisdom is nice here too.

UFO
Had some of my favorite songs here. Beware the Umbrella Left There Forever, Captain Murasa, The Tiger Patterned...Shou's theme..Emotional Skyscraper - Cosmic Mind, UFO Romance in the Night(I think that's what it is), and Heian Alien are all my favorites. I can't stop listening to these songs really.

PC-98 games
Of all the games, I only know 3 themes(Well 4 if Yuka's is from this series of games and not just PoFV). These include Reincarnation, Bad Apple, and Complete Darkness. The first two are my most favorite from the PC-98 series while the last one I only heard while looking for remixes for Reincarnation. It was ok, but not my favorite.

ebarrett

« Reply #102 on: March 25, 2010, 03:06:21 AM »
PC-98 games
Of all the games, I only know 3 themes
KNOW MOAR

« Reply #103 on: March 25, 2010, 03:10:56 AM »
Mystic Square. There are only like 3 songs from it I actually like.

Slaves

• uHHH,
  • uHHHHHHHHHH,,,
« Reply #104 on: March 25, 2010, 01:05:35 PM »
Necrofantasia is like playing four ]-[|/34<#! at once.

and that's why it's awesome.

« Reply #105 on: March 25, 2010, 02:06:37 PM »
KNOW MOAR

Agreed. I normally don't like the PC-98 games (though they have their shiny parts) but their music is very awesome. Axel should go listen to some. At least LLS, MS and PoDD have very memorable music.

Helion

« Reply #106 on: March 25, 2010, 04:36:25 PM »
Sure, it doesn't get your blood boiling quite like SA's late stages
Wait, what part of Lullaby of deserted hell gets your blood boiling? And as for that: what part of heartfelt fancy, 3rd eye and of orin's theme? The only stage that tries is stage 6 and even then only nuclear fusion manages to be a mild adrenaline rusher.

Necrofantasia's harmony does have a more solid structure to it, I'll give it that, but other factors make it worse (i.e. inferior sound dynamics, instrumentation).
Actually I prefer everything about Necrofantasia: instruments that somehow manage to work all together and all the good parts of Necro Fantasy flowing one after the other, with only one of the annoying 3-note piano "interludes" Necro Fantasy had.

Infy♫

• Demonic★Moe
« Reply #107 on: March 25, 2010, 05:06:36 PM »
necrofantasia has that dirty, loud synth sound that makes it bad for me. the song itself is nice (ZUN's own arrange is one of the best IMO) and as it shares most of the melody with ran's theme, which doesnt have that horrible instrument, i like ran's theme more.

« Reply #108 on: March 25, 2010, 06:33:54 PM »
Wait, what part of Lullaby of deserted hell gets your blood boiling?

The part where Orin mews.
Quote from Myosotis:
"Marriage is a game you can't win. Also, no replay value and the level design is bullshit.

« Reply #109 on: March 25, 2010, 07:47:16 PM »
StB
This game had music?
AGAGHAGHAGAHGAHGAHGAHGAHAGAGHGAGAHGAHAGHGAHGH

Sleepless Night?  Black Eyes?  Retrospective Kyoto?  StB doesn't have much music, but what it does have that isn't Wind God Girl is awesome.

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #110 on: March 25, 2010, 07:49:21 PM »

Sleepless Night?  Black Eyes?  Retrospective Kyoto?  StB doesn't have much music, but what it does have that isn't Wind God Girl is awesome.
Erm...Retrospective Kyoto is the only track from StB that isn't godawful.  And it's not all that good itself.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

CK Crash

• boozer
« Reply #111 on: March 25, 2010, 08:49:27 PM »
The problem with StB music is that you subconsciously connect it with the act of replaying spells over and over and over and over until you hate it. Sleepless Night is actually pretty awesome for a spinoff game song.

R-9A2 Delta

• laser laser laser laser
  • totally not obsessed with Yuka
« Reply #112 on: March 25, 2010, 10:59:18 PM »
1: Soul as Red as a Ground Cherry
1B: Apparitions Stalk the Night
2: the UFO one
2B: Umbrella Left There Forever even though I like one part of it
3: Sky Ruin
3B: Candid Friend (although a lot of it sounds amazing)
4: MS's
4B: Forbidden Magic, Crimson Dead
5: LLS's
5B: Till When? (It's decent in PCB though)
6: EoSD's
6B: Lunatic Princess
EX: Both of PCB's
EXB: Tank Girl's Dream
PHANTASMAGORIA: Dream War
FIGHTING: Till When? (SWR) is all that comes to mind. I hate it in SWR. It's tolerable in PCB, but here it's UGGGGGGGH
StB: Wind Tour
DS: Everything except Mystery in Your Town, Mysterious Mountain, and Infinite Nightmare

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #113 on: March 26, 2010, 03:13:37 AM »
[What part of SA Stage 5's theme gets your blood boiling?]
The part where Orin mews.
Great answer.

@Yatagarashim:  Sleepless Night is godawful?

Formless God

« Reply #114 on: March 26, 2010, 03:32:00 AM »
In-game, yes.

Kefit

• The Wild Draw Four of America
« Reply #115 on: March 26, 2010, 04:40:18 AM »
I'm not gonna include anything PC-98, as most of the music from that era fails to stick in my head either way. Likewise, UFO layliaylkalykaoaolololyolyolll. Also DS wins every category it is eligible for by a wide margin, so I'll ignore it.

Title Screen: I like them all, couldn't possibly pick a least favorite.
Stage 1: EoSD. PCB's is pretty bad too, but EoSD's makes full game runs painful.
Stage 1 boss: EoSD. Rumia's theme is pretty bad.
Stage 2: EoSD. Not nearly as bad as stage one, but still bad.
Stage 2 boss: PCB. Boring boring boring, and it doesn't really fit Chen.
Stage 3: Toss up between IN and SA. I dunno what ZUN was trying to do with these songs, but it didn't work.
Stage 3 boss: Toss up between IN and SA. See above.
Stage 4: Toss up between EoSD and MoF. Boring. Also boring.
Stage 4 boss: MoF. Why couldn't you just bring back Wind God Girl, ZUN?
Stage 5:  MoF. Not a bad song per se, but pales compared to all the other stage fives.
Stage 5 boss: SA. Absolutely love the SA stage five theme, but the boss theme is weak.
Stage 6: These all do their jobs very effectively. UFO's might even by my favorite. If I had to choose a worst I guess it might be EoSD or PCB.
Stage 6 boss: Toss up between MoF and UFO. Not bad songs, but not as good as the competition.
Extra stage: IN. Boring.
Extra stage boss: SA. Bad way to cap off perhaps my favorite OST.

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #116 on: March 26, 2010, 05:51:45 AM »
*Steals Kefits format*
Title Screen: Can't choose haven't listened enough
Stage 1: Can't really choose. maybe MoF for too much trumpet, but actually I find it rather fitting.
Stage 1 boss: Rumia's. Because I like the other one better
Stage 2: MoF. Not a fan of it, doesn't seem memorable to me
Stage 2 boss: MoF. didn't really like it
Stage 3: PCB. Just like the other ones better
Stage 3 boss: SA. Like the other ones betters. Doesn't really stand out
Stage 4: IN. Didn't like it that much.
Stage 4 boss: Can't choose. Maybe Aya's
Stage 5:  MoF. Not a bad song per se, but pales compared to all the other stage fives.
Stage 5 boss: PCB. Like it better in the fighters I think
Stage 6: These all do their jobs very effectively. UFO's might even by my favorite. If I had to choose a worst I guess it might be EoSD or PCB.(My thoughts exactly)
Stage 6 boss: PoFV, if it counts, if not, then MoF.
Extra stage: PCB. Doesn't seem that memorable to me
Extra stage boss: Don't really want to choose. maybe EoSD.

haven't played in a while, so some are after listening to some by ear quickly.

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

Axel Ryman

• Fear me
« Reply #117 on: March 26, 2010, 05:57:44 AM »
KNOW MOAR

Recommendations then?  :D

I only said it cause I don't remember any of the songs on there.  :V

ebarrett

« Reply #118 on: March 26, 2010, 06:56:41 AM »
Recommendations then?  :D
HRtP has Eternal Shrine Maiden. Almost everything else is excellent as well but holy fuck Eternal Shrine Maiden.

SoEW doesn't have much to be honest - it was developed at the same time as HRtP which got all the awesome music and gameplay. There's the original Love-Coloured Magic, though. I like The Tank Girl's Dream as well but I can see a lot of people... not liking it.

PoDD has the best soundtrack in the series, in my opinion. Just listen to the whole thing will ya.

LLS starts off slow but there are some gems later in the game - the original Maiden's Capriccio, Casket of Star, both of Yuka's themes. I don't go crazy for Bad Apple!! but most people do. (I go crazy for Lotus Love instead)

MS has a few duds but more than makes up for it with the MOTHERFUCKING GRIMOIRE OF ALICE and INFINITE BEING and ALICE IN WONDERLAND and ROMANTIC CHILDREN and PLASTIC MIND and DOLL OF MISERY and it's the best game in the series so go play it ok just ignore stage 4's blue bullets on blue backgrounds and you'll be fine until you get raped by Yumeko
Spoiler:
[/fangasm]

well, that took a while.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 07:11:31 AM by ebarrett »

Formless God

« Reply #119 on: March 26, 2010, 07:07:27 AM »
Dream Express where