Author Topic: Aimed bullets not killing  (Read 5321 times)

Seian Verian

• Snuggledragon
  • Snuggles for everyone
Aimed bullets not killing
« on: August 20, 2009, 07:26:55 AM »
So... Yeah. In a simple script I'm working on, I made this stream of aimed bullets, type23. They're moving at 20 pixels per frame, and I'm sitting in the middle of them, not moving. Not dying either, the only thing that happens is that my graze score goes up to ridiculous levels. That's... Weird. This ever happen to anyone else?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 07:54:10 AM by ShiningDrake »

MCXD

• Test
  • Light Sign "Heaven Engine"
Re: Aimed bullets not killing
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 07:44:43 AM »
They're moving at 20 pixels per second

There's your problem. Never, Ever, Use any velocity in Danmakufu above 8 or so, it glitches and doesn't work.

EDIT: Wait... 20 pixels per second? Or per frame? If its per second, then you are only using speed 0.333?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 07:46:30 AM by MCXD »

Seian Verian

• Snuggledragon
  • Snuggles for everyone
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 07:55:14 AM »
Er, yeah, per frame. So... Basically, Danmakufu doesn't like fast bullets? XD

MCXD

• Test
  • Light Sign "Heaven Engine"
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 08:12:09 AM »
Er, yeah, per frame. So... Basically, Danmakufu doesn't like fast bullets? XD

No offense, but 20 per frame should be avoided even IF Danmakufu could handle it.

The problem is, or at least from what I know, that with a speed set at 20, the bullet move 20 pixels along every frame. This means that in between each frame, the bullet would 'jump' 20 pixels. If your character happens to be standing in the space between the jump, then Danmakufu won't recognize the prescience of the player, as it only does collision detection for the bullet's current position (0, 20, 40, 60, etc).

In other words, anything above 8 or so usually creates 'gaps' which the player can stand in and ultimate have the bullet "skip over them".

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 08:31:52 AM »
Oh this is quite interesting to know for myself. I am not using any bullets at speed 10 but good to keep in mind. Would this affect also the Laser01 shot? As lasers are lenghty bullets.

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 12:53:30 PM »
Would this affect also the Laser01 shot? As lasers are lenghty bullets.

if Speed>LaserLenght/Bulletsize = skipping/creating a gap

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 05:25:23 PM »
This is also noticable in the original games. Take for example Utsuho's nonspells. Often you will find yourself in a position where the outer part of the bullets should hit you, but it doesn't. More specifically, on her second and fourth nonspell, it is possible that the first few bullets of one of the volleys don't hit you, so you stay where you are but still get hit by the latter bullets of the same volley because they move more slowly.

This also means that you can improve your chance of survival against a fast barrage of small bullets by moving towards it unfocused. If the bullets move at a speed of, say, 6, then your own movement will add it up to about 10 and you will be able to pass bullets that would otherwise give you a glancing hit.
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Drake

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 06:15:59 PM »
Only if the hitbox is incredibly small. The smaller glowing bulelts you're able to pass through, but the bigger ones you cannot. I'm not sure what's giving the illusion of being able to go through Okuu's 2nd and 4th, but even Aya speed ramming headfirst will not go through.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 06:46:52 PM »
The first and the second paragraph are not about the same thing.   :P

You cannot ram straight through Utsuho's bullets because they are not small bullets and because even though they move fast, they don't move fast towards you direction (unless you tried to run directly into the volley at 180?, in which case you would die from the next bullet in line anyways). However, if you were to ran through, say, a barrage of fast approaching amulet bullets, you may be able to go through them.

On Okuu... well, go to stage 6 lunatic stage practice and get to her third noncard. At the beginning of each wave, try to be precisely below her position on the bottom of the screen. You will survive even though you shouldn't, and you can see that you shouldn't.  :V
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 06:51:17 PM by Iryan »
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 09:30:10 PM »
The first and the second paragraph are not about the same thing.   :P

You cannot ram straight through Utsuho's bullets because they are not small bullets and because even though they move fast, they don't move fast towards you direction (unless you tried to run directly into the volley at 180?, in which case you would die from the next bullet in line anyways). However, if you were to ran through, say, a barrage of fast approaching amulet bullets, you may be able to go through them.

On Okuu... well, go to stage 6 lunatic stage practice and get to her third noncard. At the beginning of each wave, try to be precisely below her position on the bottom of the screen. You will survive even though you shouldn't, and you can see that you shouldn't.  :V
Both amulets and Utsuho's solid colored shots have really tiny hitboxes so yeah