Author Topic: Undefined Fantastic Object: Enemy Unknown (Let's Play X-COM!)  (Read 50410 times)

X-COM: UFO Defense (also known as UFO: Enemy Unknown and X-COM: Enemy Unknown in Europe) is a turn-based tactics game released by Microprose in 1994. Due to its atmosphere and unique gameplay aspects, it became a quick bestseller and garnered several sequels and spinoffs during the rest of the 1990s, although none are considered to have surpassed the original. Even today, the original X-COM finds its place on top ten lists by gaming publications and websites, and rights-holder 2K is planning a reboot (cue the RUINED FOREVER).

Welcome to the global Extraterrestrial Combat Unit, also known as X-COM.

Let me tell you right now: aliens exist, and they are active on our planet right now. Abductions, mutilations, strange airborne activity; some would be content to call this coincidence or conspiracy theory, but we have confirmed something is out there, although we aren't clear on the what. Several nations have attempted to tackle this threat on their own to no avail; the most prolific failure was Japan's Kiryu-Kai force, which was active for six months without a single successful intercept.

With it obvious that no one nation could handle the alien activity on their own, several representatives met near the end of 1998 to fund an international organization. The scope of our mission goes beyond any government (and before any of you refer to those useless schmucks in Wales in my presence, keep in mind that I have my sidearm with me and you haven't been assigned a weapon yet).

As we approach the new millenium, we are in the beginning stages of a war; a war for humanity. To suffer defeat is to suffer extinction; for the sake of mankind, we must not fail.

Re: Undefined Fantastic Object: Enemy Unknown (Let's Play X-COM!)
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 12:56:25 AM »
I will now provide information about X-COM's current arsenal.

The Interceptor is the result of cooperation between the aeronautic firms of multiple nations and the backing nations of the X-COM project. Powered by pulse-detonation technology, the Interceptor can remain airborne for hours. With the most advanced electronic systems to date and long-range Stingray and Avalanche missiles, the Interceptor should have little problem detecting, pursuing, and bringing down anything that comes our way.

The Skyranger is X-COM's primary transport craft, used to deploy to sites of confirmed or suspected alien activity. Its size allows it to carry up to fourteen field operatives along with their equipment. While unarmed, it is equipped with a communications suite that allows it to detect potential threats while airborne.

X-COM heavy weapons platforms are remote-operated combat vehicles designed to provide support to field operatives. While bulky and difficult to maneuver in tight quarters, HWPs can take a significant beating and still function. Two variants are available at this time: one with a 20mm anti-armor cannon and one with a rocket launcher.

This 5.56x45mm semiautomatic is the standard-issue X-COM rifle. It's lightweight, fairly accurate, and has respectable firepower for its size. While it's the most reliable weapon we have at this current time, there is concern that conventional firearms may not be enough to deal with potential threats. We are currently looking into developing more advanced weapons systems, but this is the best we have so far.

9x19mm pistols are the current sidearm for X-COM field operatives. While it lacks the accuracy or rate of fire of the rifle, it can be fired with one hand with no loss of accuracy, allowing a free hand for the use of grenades or other field equipment.

More affectionately known as the ?heavy cannon?, this man-portable weapon fires 12.7x99mm ammunition of armor-piercing, high-explosive (?black sabot?), or incendiary (?yellow-tip?) variants. It is ideal in a support role for destroying enemy cover.

This automatic variant of the ?heavy cannon? is slightly more cumbersome and less accurate, but has a significantly greater ammo capacity and rate of fire, allowing it to raze anything between it and the enemy. These advantages have allowed it to effectively supplant the original weapon it was based on.

This rocket launcher is designed to use either two different sizes of high-explosive rocket or an incendiary rocket. Due to the difficulty of supplying it with ammunition on the battlefield, it is not expected to see much use. We will instead use heavy weapons platforms in order to deploy rockets on the battlefield.

Grenades are a small but significant addition to the X-COM arsenal. There are three types of grenade in service; a standard explosive with a time-delay, a smoke grenade designed to provide cover, and a grenade that, when armed, detonates when triggered by nearby motion.

Time-delay high-explosive packs are available for use in demolition of cover.

The so-called ?stun rod? disrupts the nervous system of the target using an electrical charge. It is designed as a nonlethal weapon for use in live capture.

?Electro-flares? are portable lights used for nighttime operations. When thrown, they illuminate a small portion of the surrounding area.

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 12:57:27 AM »

Our current base of operations is Firstlight, an underground facility in the Swiss Alps. Its location is designed to provide optimal defense of population centers in Europe.

...it's entirely coincidence that Europe provides roughly a third of our operating budget. We honestly expected the United States, and the world in general to be more supportive of the agency financially. We do have several private backers as well, including a South African conglomerate named Multinational United and several unnamed investors who have funneled their funds through the Brazilian government. Just shy of six million dollars a month isn't much to run an organization on; we're expecting at least a quarter of that to pay for the lease of aircraft, leaving us approximately $4.3 million for the purchase of equipment and the recruitment of staff.

Firstlight's facilities are fairly modest, but sufficient for our current scale of operations. The base contains hangars for three aircraft, living quarters for up to fifty people, storage for weapons and equipment, research and development facilities, and radar with a 300-mile range. Access to the surface is controlled by a heavy-duty elevator.

This is the initial proposal for upgrades to Firstlight. Our engineers have proposed the addition of additional radar with a 450-mile range, more storage facilities, and a life support/containment facility for captured extraterrestrials.

Additional changes were made to this proposal when concerns were made about the security of Firstlight. It was suggested that if an attack were made on the base, intruders would enter through the hangars and access elevator. These plans relocate the hangars to one side of the lift, creating a single point of entry into the main base and making Firstlight easier to defend. The living quarters will be relocated to further bottleneck the entrance. In all, these upgrades will take roughly twenty-five days.

Our R&D division is currently 20 people; ten scientists of various fields and ten engineers. We have currently assigned the research team to two proposals; the development of laser-based weaponry which we hope will outperform conventional firearms on the field, and a portable medical kit which can diagnose and treat injuries on the battlefield. A third proposal for a motion scanner was rejected; to quote one scientist, ?We already have motion scanners, they're called eyes?.

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 12:57:47 AM »
I haven't had time to meet our field agents in person, but they have undergone physical and psychological tests and evaluations of their skill, which I have quantified and summarized.

This agent scored well in our evaluations. I expect that under proper command, he shall be extremely reliable.

While this agent scored somewhat below par in marksmanship test, he showed competence with throwing, both with distance and accuracy. These skills will be important when the use of grenades is required on a mission.

This agent did well in the physical evaluations and skill tests, although there is concern about his psychological record; I'm worried about how he will react under pressure.

Our only female agent so far, she scored well in marksmanship tests.

This agent did extremely well in his physical examination, but scored poorly with marksmanship. He is likely to do well with heavy weapons, where accuracy is not as important.

This agent's skill assessment is questionable at best. He does show admirable reaction time, however. He will likely be assigned to a support role.

This agent also did extremely well with throwing tests, but his performance in the other tests was below par.

This agent scored poorly in most of the tests in comparison to the rest of the team. He will also likely be kept in a support role.

Both Interceptor craft on lease to Firstlight have been equipped with Stingray and Avalanche long-range air-to-air missiles.

All eight available field agents, along with a heavy weapons platform and a significant amount of equipment have been loaded onto the Skyranger.

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 12:58:07 AM »
The first few days of operations were uneventful; we've detected nothing of note despite sending an Interceptor up to do patrols.

About three days after we assigned R&D to the laser project, they informed us they had a breakthrough; they've tested various methods and seem to have found one which can be reliably made into a weapon. The research head says that with a little more time, they should have a prototype ready.

At about 4PM GMT on January 6, Firstlight detected its first UFO; a small craft flying near the Russian border. Approximately half an hour later, one of our interceptors caught up to it a few miles from the Baltic Sea and shot it down.

This directly led to the first X-COM field operation. Firstlight's Skyranger transport was dispatched to the crash site in order to recover the craft.

Unfortunately, we arrived late, and the operation had to be conducted at night. ?Good Throwing Arm? was given flares and ?All Muscles? was given an autocannon with incendiary ammunition. All other agents were given a standard loadout of a rifle, spare clip, grenade, and emergency pistol.

What follows next is a log of transmissions from the operation. We apologize for the complications with the visual feed; we are working on improving our video systems.

SKYRANGER: Skyranger-1 to Firstlight, we are at deployment zone.

?PROMISE?: Send the HWP out to do recon.

HWP OPERATOR: Moving out... area is clear.

?THROWING ARM?: Going down to set up flares.

?THROWING ARM?: We've got some burn marks here... potential hostiles.

?PROMISE?: Confirmed. Move with caution, everybody.

?THROWING ARM?: We've spotted something, sir. Looks like the craft.

?PROMISE?: Confirmed. Me and Throws Like A Girl here are coming down to check it out.

?LIKE A GIRL?: I hate that nickname SO much. Say, you hear something? Sounded like a door.
FIRSTLIGHT: ...we've already confirmed the occupants of the property vacated after the crash. Likely hostiles.

HWP OPERATOR: They've got insurance... I'll handle this.

HWP OPERATOR: Don't see a body, sir.

?MUSCLES?: I'll get the other end of the building.

?MUSCLES?: Okay, so that didn't work. Don't see anything on this end either.

?WIMPY?: Going all the way around to see if there's anything at that back door.

?PROMISE?: Okay, watch yourselves. I'm going to check out the ship.

?PROMISE?: Okay, we've got the door secured, ready to move in!

?LIKE A GIRL?: We've got two hostiles!

[

?LIKE A GIRL?: Make that one hostile!

?PROMISE?: Get out of the way before it fires on you, I'll handle the rest!

?PROMISE?: Okay, ship's clear! Are you sure there wasn't anything in that house?

HWP OPERATOR: Don't see anything here.

?MUSCLES?: Don't see anything here.

?WIMPY?: Uh, guys? I think I got this one.

[END TRANSMISSION]

The mission was successful. Despite some collateral property damage, there were no casualties to X-COM agents or civilians. The alien craft, while disabled, took little damage from either the aerial engagement with the Interceptor or the crash; it has been recovered effectively intact. The bodies of the aliens and their equipment will be taken for study by R&D.

?Shows Promise? has been promoted for his efforts on the battlefield.

After only one mission, representatives of our backing nations are already congratulating us for how the operation has been handled. It is too soon to see if this praise is deserved or not, or if this is the full extent of the alien threat.

Want to be a part of this LP? Just say so in the comments and I'll name an X-COM agent or other organization member after you.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 12:45:59 AM by Colossal, Abridged »

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 01:14:29 AM »
I should play X-Com for reals someday.

Make me some person you find fitting, please~

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 01:37:46 AM »
This looks cool.

I'd like to be someone as well please.

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

communist unity (comm-unity)

• Boss of the Gym
  • 100% salt
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 01:39:25 AM »
x-com hell yeah
This game kicked ass back then, and it still does.

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 01:51:29 AM »
I should play X-Com for reals someday.
This is true for me too. Calling strong arm~

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2010, 03:36:04 AM »
Following the recent successful operation, I've gotten to know a few of the agents better.

Purvis, known as ?Shows Promise? in my initial reports, took point on the field. He has been promoted to the rank of Sergeant for his efforts, and I expect many more promotions to come. Talking to him in person, I found out prior to his assignment to X-COM he had significant medical training as well as a doctorate degree. I expect he shall do well with the ?medikit? R&D is developing, although putting him in a support role seems like it would be a waste of his skills.

I sincerely apologize to Agent Zombolt; my initial assessment dubbing him ?Wimpy? was poorly-founded. He not only remained calm when confronted with an alien, but survived and won a firefight. I attribute this to his reflexes; a less agile agent may not have survived when taken by surprise. I still take some question with his mental state though; going through psychological records shows numerous references to ?cleaving evil?, which concerns me.

While his performance rating is less than stellar, Agent Kusanagi showed courage in his storming the alien craft. (NOTICE: anyone making Ghost in the Shell jokes in reference to this agent's name will be disciplined)

The craft has been brought back to Firstlight and disassembled. We have taken the reactor and navigation systems and placed them in storage. The hull has been broken down into plates for easier storage. The remaining fuel has been placed in containment until we can determine its chemical composition. R&D wants to analyze all of it as soon as possible to see if we can use the materials for ourselves.

We retrieved several objects from the aliens, which we believe to be weapons. We recovered two items which resemble pistols, and a large weapon which appears to resemble some sort of portable cannon. R&D believes the remaining items are ammunition clips. R&D also informs us they will only need one of the alien bodies for autopsy; we have decided to sell the other two we recovered to private collectors.

Firstlight has decided to procure more staff, requesting ten scientists for the R&D division and eight more personnel to act as field agents. They should be here in approximately three days.

The engineering reports we've been given tell us that there's twenty more days until the upgrades to Firstlight are completely done; however, we should have the expansion to the storage facilities done in less than a week.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 12:46:50 AM by Colossal, Abridged »

ES-Anthy

• *Roll*
  • *fwump*
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2010, 04:09:43 AM »
Throw me in as whoever you want as "Anthony"

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2010, 07:42:38 PM »
Three days have passed since the recovery operation. Since then, we've received several new staff.

?Manly Arms? is our second female agent. Apart from her low shooting scores, she shows adequate skill, and shows incredible arm strength.

This agent's reactions are extremely good, although we are concerned about his poor accuracy. He will be kept in a minimal combat role to reduce the risk of friendly fire.

This agent's physical and skill records are satisfactory, although like Zengar, we are worried about how he will perform under pressure. However, Zengar has performed will in his initial mission, so these concerns may be unfounded.

This agent's evaluation was less than satisfactory. He will be kept on reserve; if our financial situation requires it, his employment will be terminated.

This agent performed well in all of her skill evaluations, although we have the same concerns with her that we do with Zengar and ?Compensating?.

Twitch's throwing accuracy is better than Fumbles, although the same concerns about friendly fire exist.

This agent scored extremely well in all evaluations.

This agent's evaluation results proved to be satisfactory.

We also received additional research staff; they have been assigned to studying the material from the alien ship's hull, as well as its fuel, which has been initially dubbed ?Elerium-115?. Work is still continuing on the laser and medikit projects.

I've also had a chance to talk to our heavy weapons platform operator, Anthony. I'm slightly concerned about him; he seems to have a lack of concern for collateral damage, as his levelling of the farmhouse during the previous operation seems to indicate. While our field agents are taking all possible precautions with the HWPs to avoid friendly fire incidents, we're extremely concerned about what will happen if we're required to deploy in an area where civilians are present.

The radar hasn't spotted anything in a few days, but nonetheless we should be ready to mobilize at any time.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 12:50:07 AM by Colossal, Abridged »

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2010, 12:19:21 AM »
For about eight or so days, activity at Firstlight was fairly low.

We ordered more ammunition for our interceptors and HWP, as well as a second tank to keep in reserve.

Nine days after initial contact, we detected a second UFO, this time in the Sahara. Our radar had determined it was at ground level. Had it crashed, or had it landed on its own? Firstlight's Skyranger was immediately deployed to the site.

The same agents that were deployed in the previous operation were deployed here as well. The autocannon was given to Zengar this time. ?Throwing Arm? was again given flares, and all other operatives were assigned the standard loadout of a rifle, spare clip, grenade, and emergency pistol.

What follows is the transmission log for the operation.

PURVIS: Skyranger at deployment zone, ready to move out. Anthony, send the HWP out to do recon.

ANTHONY: Confirmed. Moving out.

ANTHONY: I've got an ET, sir. Looks different from the ones we encountered last time. Permission to fire?

PURVIS: Negative, you might hit the Skyranger from that angle.

ANTHONY: Changing position, then.

ANTHONY: I'm going to need a bit more time to get a lock.

?TOKEN WOMAN?: I'm going down to back up the HWP.

?TOKEN WOMAN?: Missed...

?TOKEN WOMAN?: ET is opening fire, I repeat, ET is openi-

PURVIS: What's going on down there? Anthony, you got a read on the situation?
ANTHONY: Don't see any wounds, sir, I think whatever that was only knocked her out.

ANTHONY: Should be locked on in about a second, I've got a clear shot.
PURVIS: All right then, fire at will.

ANTHONY: Got it, sir.
PURVIS: All right, we're clear to deploy.

?THROWING ARM?: Confirmed. Setting out flares.

?THROWING ARM?: We've found the ship, sir. Looks bigger than the last one.
PURVIS: All right, then. The area looks clear, prepare to advance.

ZENGAR: I'll light up the surrounding area.

ZENGAR: ...how the hell does sand burn?

?THROWING ARM?: We've found the entrance to the ship, looks clear.

ANTHONY: I've got the HWP overlooking the ship, ready to provide fire support.

PURVIS: Got it. Kusanagi, Shrimp and I will circle around the back. Zengar, Throwing Arm, you hold your current position. Muscles, provide backup for Zengar and Arm. Pitching, you keep an eye on Token.

ZENGAR: Muscles is here, we're ready to move on the ship when you arrive.

PURVIS: Okay, we're ready to move in on this end. Anthony, you may stand down now.

PURVIS: Okay, we're ready to move in on the ship. Shrimp, Muscles, you go in first, then Kusanagi and I will provide support.

?SHRIMP?: This isn't because we're the rookies, is it?

PURVIS: No.

?MUSCLES?: I've spotted something on the left side of the ship, sir.
PURVIS: Fire at will.
?MUSCLES?: Damn it, missed!
PURVIS: Kusanagi, what about you?

KUSANAGI: I can't get a clear shot... it's firing at me, sir.
PURVIS: You okay?
KUSANAGI: Yeah, it missed.
PURVIS: Okay. Throwing Arm, toss a grenade in there.

?THROWING ARM?: All right. Fire in the hole!
PURVIS: Sounded like you got it. Shrimp, go confirm the kill.

?SHRIMP?: I don't see a body, sir. I see something on the floor that might have been a body... can I get new boots when we're done this mission?

?MUSCLES?: That'll have to wait, me and Throwing Arm are under fire on this end... I think they hit my arm.

?MUSCLES?: Okay, ET here is down. My arm's messed up pretty bad, I don't think I'll be able to shoot properly with it. You'll have to clear the rest of the ship without me.

PURVIS: Confirmed, take care of yourself over there.

?THROWING ARM?: We've got another ET in the cockpit.

PURVIS: I'll go around and try and get it from behind... not enough time to get a clear shot, sorry.

?THROWING ARM?: Never mind, I got it.

[END TRANSMISSION]

Despite some injuries, we successfully recovered this alien craft completely intact. ?Token Woman? regained consciousness during the return to Firstlight. ?Muscles? is receiving medical treatment, and is expected to return to service in eleven days.

Several agents involved in the operation have been promoted. Kusanagi, ?Throwing Arm?, and ?Muscles? have been promoted to Sergeant. Purvis has been further promoted to the rank of Captain.

We have obtained more unknown equipment from the recovery operation. Unlike the previous batch, which clearly appeared to be weapons of some sort, the purpose of these objects are unclear.

Shortly after the operation, R&D informed us that they had completed the development of the laser pistol and it is ready to go into production. They also further informed us that they could develop a rifle from the same technology; research already began on that project.

An order was immediately sent in to our in-house manufacturing division at Firstlight for laser pistols to equip all of our currently active agents.

...while this second mission was successful, it raises extremely troubling questions. Why have we encountered two different kinds of alien, both using what appears to be roughly the same technology? Are we facing an invasion from a biologically diverse alien world, or an alliance of multiple alien species plotting against us? Are there species active on Earth that we haven't detected yet, and if so, how many? The battle for humanity is becoming more complex than we could ever assume. If we are to win, we must find out everything we can about our enemy; who they are, how their technology works, and where they are striking from.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 01:07:32 AM by Colossal, Abridged »

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2010, 12:25:01 AM »
Hooray for laser pistols!

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2010, 12:40:45 AM »
So I'm going to need a bit of time to fix the image links in the previous few posts, a lot of the screenshots aren't showing up properly.

By the way, would it be possible to move this to Akyu's Arcade?

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2010, 01:14:11 AM »

Firstlight decided to rotate the active duty roster. ?Muscles? has been replaced by Acidus (previously known as ?Manly Arms?) while he recovers from his injuries. Purvis and ?Throwing Arm? have been temporarily taken off duty to meet with various representatives; ?Competent? and ?Compensating? are being deployed in their stead. Command of field operations has been handed over to Tsurugi Kusanagi in Purvis' absence.

With more than one alien race having appeared on Earth, we have decided on a system of callsigns to differentiate between them. The aliens that appeared at the Baltic crash site have been designated ?Gray?, and the aliens encountered at the Sahara have been designated ?Indigo?.

Less than 24 hours after the Sahara operation, we got another signal on the radar; this time in Spain.

Zengar has once again been given the autocannon loaded with incendiary ammunition. ?Token Woman? has been given flares. Acidus has been given explosives and a proximity grenade. Everyone else has the standard equipment.

Now starting the transmission log.

KUSANAGI: We're ready to deploy. Anthony, send the HWP to scout.

ANTHONY: Okay, moving out.

ANTHONY: All clea ? wait, I can see the ship from here. Don't see any hostiles yet, though.
?TOKEN WOMAN?: Going down to set up flares.
KUSANAGI: Be careful down there. We don't want a repeat of last mission.

?TOKEN WOMAN?: All clear.
ANTHONY: Moving up.

ZENGAR: I'm going to illuminate some of the surrounding area.

ZENGAR: Other side of the UFO's lit up. Nothing's there, nothing's gonna make it through there.
KUSANAGI: Okay, coming down.

ANTHONY: We've got some burn marks over here, potential hostiles in the area.

ANTHONY: Ship looks clear.

?PITCHING?: We've spotted something sir. Looks like a single Gray.
KUSANAGI: Open fire.

?TOKEN WOMAN?:  Why won't this thing die?

KUSANAGI: Looks like it's going down now. Get ready to move toward the ship.

?PITCHING?: I'm at the door, sir.
KUSANAGI: Confirmed. We'll be right behind you.

KUSANAGI: Okay. Get ready to move in. Shrimp, Pitching, you go in first.

?SHRIMP?: Entrance is clear.

KUSANAGI: Okay. Shrimp, Competent, you take the left side. Pitching, Token, you come over to the right side with me.

KUSANAGI: Okay, get ready to move toward the cockpit.

?SHRIMP?: Left door secured.

?PITCHING?: Right door secured.

?PITCHING?: Two Grays in the cockpit area.

?SHRIMP?: The smoke from that fire outside's blowing in through here. Damn it, Zengar, be more careful with those things!

?PITCHING?: Shrimp and I have the Grays in our sights.
KUSANAGI: Fire at will.

?PITCHING?: One down, one to go.

?PITCHING?: Damn, it's firing back... it got my arm!

?SHRIMP?: I've got the other one.

?SHRIMP?: Wait, there's something coming from the engine room... Pitchiiiiing!

?SHRIMP?: ...shit, Pitching's dead! Grey went back into the engine room, I'm holding the door in case it comes back out!

KUSANAGI: Acidus, you still have that prox grenade? We're going to be needing it about now.

ACIDUS: I'm coming as fast as I can!

?COMPETENT?: There's too much smoke in here, I'm going around to the other side of the ship!

?SHRIMP?: It's come back out of the engine room, it's--

KUSANAGI: Shrimp? Shrimp?

ACIDUS: ...damn it, not another one! I've just arrived at the ship now.

KUSANAGI: Damn it, we've got one over here now!

?TOKEN WOMAN?: I've got it!

ACIDUS: Competent, behind you!

ACIDUS: Damn, it's coming closer!

COMPETENT: I'm taking the shot!

[END TRANSMISSION]

This mission went poorly, especially in comparison to the previous two. While we did recover the alien craft intact, we lost ?Shrimp? and ?Pitching?, and came dangerously close to losing even more agents. Changes will have to be made to tactical doctrine in order to prevent future casualties.

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2010, 04:53:15 AM »

?Will Kill Us All? and ?Twitch? have been assigned to active duty, replacing the late ?Scrawny Shrimp? and ?Stick to Pitching?.

After about a week of inactivity, we detected an alien craft above the UK. While extraterrestrial affairs in that country were usually handled by... other agencies I will not comment on, jurisdiction has been ceded to us.

An interceptor immediately brought it down. However, the crash landed in the Atlantic, preventing us from recovering it. Perhaps at some later date, X-COM will have the equipment for underwater operations, but that is not our concern at this time.

We have been informed that the requested upgrading and restructuring of Firstlight is complete.

There is now only a single point of entry into the main base from the hangars and access elevator, improving security.

Our manufacturing wing has completed half of the order for laser pistols; this is currently enough to equip the active squad. The finished lasers have been loaded on board the Skyranger for immediate battlefield deployment.

Near the end of January, our scanners picked up an extremely large object above Egypt. An interceptor was immediately scrambled.

The visual we received from the interceptor was extremely troubling; this UFO was at least twice the size of the ships we had encountered previously.

What followed next was even more troubling.

At 2:30 PM on January 27, 1999, Interceptor-1 and its crew were lost over Northern Africa engaging an alien craft.

Interceptor-2 was deployed, with orders to keep at a distance and immediately return to base once it had exhausted its supply of long-range missiles.

Interceptor-2 was able to successfully shoot down the alien craft.

Firstlight is deploying the Skyranger to the crash site. However, we don't know what was on board the craft, and night is falling soon, so the recovery operation may be temporarily postponed until tomorrow. However, the government of Britain is placing enormous pressure on us to act as soon as possible; the crash is close to their territory of Gibraltar, and if they believe we have failed to secure the area, they will send in their own forces to destroy the ship.

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2010, 01:50:32 PM »
Bloody hell.

It figures the crap would hit the fan whenever I lead...

mad

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2010, 10:50:05 PM »
I would like to be someone
Little did he know, the shed was near Yuyuko, who was in a role-play of Dune. As a sandworm.

Doll.S CUBE

• I Have A New Obssession
  • ♥Puppy Love♥
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2010, 12:33:41 AM »
X-com looks interesting.

So, can I be either 'Competent' or 'Compensating'? Or 'Token Women', I kinda of feel sorry for her being called that.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 12:38:00 AM by Doll Warrior.S »

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2010, 01:06:00 AM »
I would like to be someone
[/quote]
X-com looks interesting.

So, can I be either 'Competent' or 'Compensating'? Or 'Token Women', I kinda of feel sorry for her being called that.

You two will get brought in on the after the upcoming update; you posted after I started getting it ready. Sorry.

Doll.S CUBE

• ♥Puppy Love♥
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2010, 01:14:31 AM »
Ah don't worry, I'm fine waiting.

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2010, 05:04:16 AM »
The Skyranger arrived at the site just before nightfall. With the field unit able to operate in daylight, flares or incendiaries would not be required for the mission. Zengar has been given the autocannon, this time loaded with high-explosive ammunition. Acidus has been again assigned high-explosive packs and a proximity grenade. ?Twitch? has been given a stun rod. All field agents have been given the new laser pistols to use in addition to their other weapons.

KUSANAGI: Ready to deploy. Anthony, what's our situation?

ANTHONY: There's an Indigo just outside.

ANTHONY: And now there isn't.

ANTHONY: There's something off to the right here, not a Gray or an Indigo... remember those bull-demon things from DOOM?

ANTHONY: Moving up. This thing maneuvers pretty well, I didn't think I'd be able to get it on top of haystacks like this.

ANTHONY: That bull thing's down. All clear.

?TOKEN WOMAN?: Me and Competent are moving out.

KUSANAGI: What the hell was that?
ANTHONY: Looked like some sort of explosive, sir. Not one of ours.

ANTHONY: We've got another Indigo!

ANTHONY: Target is down!

KUSANAGI: Me and Twitch are moving out.

?COMPETENT?: I'm going to check out these buildings out here.

?TOKEN WOMAN?: Me and Compensating are at the side of the ship.
KUSANAGI: Hold position, wait for backup before you go in.

ANTHONY: I'm at the other end of the ship.

?COMPETENT?: Buildings look clear so far.

?TOKEN WOMAN?: Okay, Twitch and Will Kill are here, ready to move in.

?TWITCH?: Looks clear.

?TWITCH?: We've got an Indigo here. Time to see if these new laser pistols work... okay, target's down, move up.

ANTHONY: The doors are fairly wide, I might be able to get the HWP through here.

ANTHONY: Indigo spotted, opening fire.
KUSANAGI: You're going to fire the HWP inside the ship?!

?TWITCH?: We're fine, the Indigo is down.

?TWITCH?: This looks like some sort of elevator, we should be able to get to the upper level of the ship from here.

?TWITCH?: We've got another of those bull things...

?TWITCH?: It's down, I'm getting back into cover!

?TOKEN WOMAN?: Okay, everybody search the ship... what is this thing?

?COMPENSATING?: Another one of those things, I've got it taken care of.

?TWITCH?: Indigo in the cockpit area... damn, it got my arm!

?TWITCH?: Indigo's down, stray shot blew up something in the cockpit. No idea what, you might not want to inhale when you're in there. There's a bit of bleeding coming from my arm, I can get it fixed up when we get back to base.

ANTHONY: I just got another of those demons out here.

?COMPETENT?: This building looks clear so far, I'm going to check upsta--

KUSANAGI: Damn, we've lost Competent. Acidus, go check out the building he was at. Zengar, go and provide backup. Anthony, if you've got a clear shot in that direction, blow the side of the building off so we can get a look in there.

ANTHONY: I've put a hole in the building, but I don't see anything... I'm out of ammo so I can't be much more help to you.
ZENGAR: It's no good! These rounds aren't doing anything to the wall!

ACIDUS: I managed to get some explosives through the side window.

ACIDUS: I'm spotting two Indigoes... and it looks like one of them is floating in midair.

ACIDUS: I managed to get one of them...

ACIDUS: Damn it, the other one's firing on me and there's no cover here!

ACIDUS: ...that was close, just barely missed me. I've got a clear shot now.

The last few minutes of the recording were lost due to a mishap with the tapes, but during debriefing we were informed that one more Indigo was found on the top floor of a barn and eliminated by Acidus.

While we lost one agent and had another injured, Purvis has informed us that representatives from the funding nations highly regard this mission as a success. While the alien ship was heavily damaged, we were able to salvage the hull and most of the cockpit systems. More importantly, we were able to capture a live specimen; one of the orange bull-like aliens was found alive but unconscious and injured. It has been brought to Firstlight for containment and study; we may be able to obtain useful intelligence about the origins of the aliens by examining it.

ES-Anthy

• *Roll*
  • *fwump*
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2010, 12:43:22 PM »
Well it looks like I was on a rampage till I ran out of ammo, it's sweet that we caught one though.

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2010, 01:21:50 PM »
Well it looks like I was on a rampage till I ran out of ammo, it's sweet that we caught one though.
The fact that we lose at least one agent whenever I lead isn't exactly helping my confidence though.  :ohdear:

Doll.S CUBE

• ♥Puppy Love♥
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2010, 05:09:15 PM »
The fact that we lose at least one agent whenever I lead isn't exactly helping my confidence though.  :ohdear:

Don't worry, these things happen, its more circumstances then your leading skill.

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2010, 06:51:34 PM »
High Explosives aren't high enough, man. Unless the walls were reinforced with something.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2010, 07:43:00 PM »
Ooh, now this, this, I like.

Brings back memories.....I really should track down a copy of it, or a ROM again, I really like this kinda game.
I'd probably be a sniper type character though.
Given that I have good accuracy.....but I don't do all too well under extreme pressure.
Well, using an HWP would be my kinda thing too, just be sure to not get in my way, I tend to Drive Like Crazy.
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2010, 07:53:05 PM »

At the end of the January, representatives from the funding nations sent a report. They are extremely satisfied with our performance so far, and have decided to raise our operating budget for the new month. Most of this money has gone to the hiring of new personnel and the replacement of Interceptor-1.

We've decided to make some upgrades to Firstlight, expanding the living quarters and storage facilities to accommodate more personnel and equipment. This should be done in approximately sixteen days.

Our radar detected a UFO that had landed in central Russia.

The Skyranger was deployed with Interceptor-2 to provide air cover, but the craft took off and flew out of detection range.

We've recruited some new agents, and I've gotten to know some of the ones we have a bit better.

This agent performed adequately in our skill evaluations.

This agent had excellent scores in throwing tests, but had poorer physical results than Acidus.

This agent performed fairly well in evaluations.

This agent performed very well in shooting accuracy tests.

I previously knew this agent as ?Token Woman?. Now that I think about it, the new name isn't much more appropriate, but anyway. She spearheaded the storming of the alien crash during the previous ground operation, and has been a crucial part of all of the other deployments.

Previously known as ?Compensating?, Madness Chaser was responsible for wounding the alien we brought in as a live specimen.

?Twitch? brought down several aliens during the storming of the crash site, although this led to him being injured. He is currently recovering.

?Good Enough? and ?Mr. Average? have been placed on active duty. ?Benchwarmer? and ?Fumbles? have had their employment with X-COM terminated; to prevent them from leaking information, they have been given memory-altering medication.

We've received a new Interceptor to replace the one that was destroyed engaging the large alien craft. It has been equipped with a Stingray and Avalanche launcher.

Research division has informed us that the medikit project has been completed. The data has been giving to our manufacturing wing for immediate production.

The scientists no longer working on that project, along with additional scientists that have been hired, have been assigned to researching the alien materials.

Chaore

• Kai Ni Recipient Many Years Late
  • You Finally Did It, Kadokawa.
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2010, 07:58:43 PM »
Well now, This looks interesting. Don't suppose I'm too late to see if I can get an agent named after me? :V