Author Topic: Worldwide vs Japanese Fandom  (Read 2334 times)

Worldwide vs Japanese Fandom
« on: November 22, 2011, 06:08:44 PM »
I found one uniqueness in worldwide touhou fan vs japanese fan.

Japanese fan of touhou, tend to make doujinshi game that it isnt even danmaku like touhou main game itself, i mostly see the doujinshi is a hack version like touhoumon or not even a danmakufu itself. The danmakufu engine(I dont know, who made this actually? ZUN himself?, i need reference) like game that is inspired by touhou, is small i cant even find it. The closest one to it, is mostly fanmade phantasm stage of the main game. Its strange, that even though they can make fanmade phantasm stage like this, then why dont they make more danmakufu game? And they also tend to moe-ing the character...

Western fan instead, make a fangame that is using danmakufu but only a shy of them make game that is using touhou character. AN example can be seen in this forum, at tika and nitori section, most of the thread i see is a script boss or a danmakufu game but a story that is completely original, or part-touhou.

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
Re: Worldwide vs Japanese Fandom
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 06:13:12 PM »
The Projects section has examples of fangames outside of DMF. The real difference is that the japanese fangame maker isn't a lazy bugger like a westerner and will produce completed stuff to distribute.

Berzul

• (*7(*7(*7(*7(*7
  • Round face... z( ⌣ω⌣)z
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 06:16:19 PM »
And they also tend to moe-ing the character...

*Looks at Touhou Saimoe :P

Drake

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 10:47:04 PM »
honestly it sounds to me that you haven't been a part of the fandom long enough, and you haven't looked hard enough
Japanese fan of touhou, tend to make doujinshi game that it isnt even danmaku like touhou main game itself
That's precisely because Touhou is already a danmaku. Fanmade Touhou danmaku definitely exist, but they often aren't in the style of Touhou itself. Copying Touhou's style is incredibly difficult, and Touhou already covers the danmaku area of games well enough.
i mostly see the doujinshi is a hack version like touhoumon or not even a danmakufu itself
Because it's fresh. There's never a particular reason why someone makes one kind of game over another, it's just neat to add Touhou characters to the mix. They're extremely versatile and can pretty much be added to anything.
The danmakufu engine(I dont know, who made this actually? ZUN himself?, i need reference)
mkm. Also, you aren't looking hard enough, there are tons of japanese-made danmakufu scripts. Take a wild guess why you can't find them.
Western fan instead, make a fangame that is using danmakufu but only a shy of them make game that is using touhou character. AN example can be seen in this forum, at tika and nitori section, most of the thread i see is a script boss or a danmakufu game but a story that is completely original, or part-touhou.
Just because you see a lot of it in this forum does not mean it's the only thing we do. Furthermore, just because quite a few members do non-Touhou scripts does not mean we don't do Touhou scripts at all, nor are we representative of the whole international fanbase.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Forte Blackadder

• 雲龍九現
  • Thi?n Giả L?ng Y?u
    • FaceBook
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 11:43:13 PM »
I was exptecting something like "We like Yuuka but the JPese just vote Reimu all the time!" but well...
Anyway, like Drake said, you shouldn't jump into conclusion so fast. Apart from big fanbase like gensokyo.org, shrinemaiden.org, poolshmer or even /jp/, there are others from non-English-speaking countries too. China, Vietnam, Korea in Asia, Finland, Germany in EU, and of course Brazil in America. They like Touhou and make fanwork in a different way, and I think you will find them hardly on google by searching in English. 

shurcle

• You can nom on yourself sometimes!
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 02:58:12 AM »
I was exptecting something like "We like Yuuka but the JPese just vote Reimu all the time!" but well...
Anyway, like Drake said, you shouldn't jump into conclusion so fast. Apart from big fanbase like gensokyo.org, shrinemaiden.org, poolshmer or even /jp/, there are others from non-English-speaking countries too. China, Vietnam, Korea in Asia, Finland, Germany in EU, and of course Brazil in America. They like Touhou and make fanwork in a different way, and I think you will find them hardly on google by searching in English. 
Yeah, I was pretty surprised to discover the russian fan base a while back. You should broaden your search a little, the fan base outside of japan is absolutely overwhelming if you look hard enough.