Author Topic: Touhou Smash crowdfunding and ZUN's fancreation rules (discussion thread)  (Read 210466 times)

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Re: Touhou Smash crowdfunding and ZUN's fancreation rules (discussion thread)
« Reply #690 on: January 22, 2015, 05:26:39 PM »
I'm furious at how vile the community is being to him on Facebook and other places that aren't here. Yes, he fucked up, but it's no excuse to keep dragging his nose all in it and engaging in stereotypical internet name-calling. It sucks hard enough to be made an example of, I assume, as people are basically going to do here now. "How not to do it" is not really how people at all plan or want to go out as. Anyone who hasn't formed an opinion now is pretty rare and late to this party, I assume.

I'm sorry you think people were mean to him. Others are clearly of the opinion he's displayed a lot of less-than-good behavior himself, both towards the forum and towards the creator of the game series he wanted to capitalize on. YMMV.

What I'm trying to say is that CURRENTLY if you take out the Touhou there is nothing new and exciting about the game. It's just a Super Smash Bros. clone. I'm not saying that it can't become that way, but it's going to take a lot more effort and quite frankly probably won't catch my interest regardless.

I agree it's difficult to be able to get anyone interested at this point, but then again, it's not like he's on the clock to make something at a particular deadline. He can totally take his time to come up with something really fresh and original. There's really no rush.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Alcoraiden

• Do not go gentle into that good night
« Reply #691 on: January 22, 2015, 05:28:37 PM »
I'm sorry you think people were mean to him. Others are clearly of the opinion he's displayed a lot of less-than-good behavior himself, both towards the forum and towards the creator of the game series he wanted to capitalize on. YMMV.

Just because one side fucked up doesn't give the other side free pass to say things dickishly. Like I said, not folks here, basically folks elsewhere. I already said my piece long ago on anything going on here. It also makes a huge psychological impact when the entire world seems to hate you at least for even a bit. The Internet is a powerful force.

ShadowNCS

• Prinny Overlord
  • Highly Responsive to Jinxes
« Reply #692 on: January 22, 2015, 05:30:53 PM »
Wow. There I come back from not visiting any but my subscribed to threads, and what I find before myself is this the Touhou Smash game in this situation. Whatever ?this? situation even is, I really don?t know.
Probably the biggest case of ?Unfortunate incident due to a lack of proper communication? in the history of Touhou, if not even more.

I know that I haven?t posted anything on this or the game?s original thread, since I preferred to stay a lurker until I actually had something to say outside of ?this game looks promising?, but if this situation one I want to give my own two cents to, then I don?t know.

I just read through all 22 (oh, we?re at 23 already?) pages on this thread, and it took me six hours to get through this heated argument. So I do get the reasoning behind FSS saying that FB and YT are quicker to respond to and thus higher priority? sort of. Also being quicker to get something done shouldn?t be the primary reason for doing something first, but that?s in the past now anyways.

What I don?t get, though, is why you from FSS had the time to make, what did you say, a video that took you 19 hours to make, and yet couldn?t read through a thread that a non-native-English speaker who thus takes longer to read could get through in 6 hours?
I?m not trying to be rude (although I probably am, sorry for that), I?m just curious as of why you thought it would be a good idea to essentially waste a lot of time during the most heated time of this incident?

@Saijee: I hope you?re still reading this thread here. I really hope you?ll rethink your idea of making your game into a non-Touhou game, for two reasons:
  1. You claim you want to get your game more accessible through making it available on WiiU and Steam. However, as others, and even YOU have noted before, a huge appeal to Smash Bros is the fact that you have a lot of your favorite characters from different games duking it out. Heck, that?s MY reason for buying Smash 4!
And now you?re saying, making your game with random nobodies who have attacks and color palettes resembling those of Touhou characters will get more people to play it? Without some recognizable/ recognized characters, what does your game have that Smash4 doesn?t? Better gameplay? Perhaps. But how many gems have been buried under the piles of trash that we keep getting, that are overlooked just because these games haven?t been made by AAA companies and/ or don?t have any IPs on them?
  2. If you really back down from making this into a Touhou game, you look like a big scammer, trying to get money and/ or attention by sullying the good name of Touhou. (Which will damage your own reputation and possibly that of more western Touhou artists.)
I know that this is not the case (or at least that?s what I hope to be the case, seeing how your project started and everything seemed to be like an earnest effort to get this game out and be one of the best Touhou games possible), but it still might, nay, it does look like this to everybody not being here from the beginning.

Either way, I really hope you?re game does get finished, with or without Touhou content.
(Even though I?ll probably not follow this project anymore if it?s not Touhou anymore, but that?s beside the point.)

As a side note, one more point about that Chinese crowdfunded or whatever Touhou fan game:
I don?t really get why this got so much attention in this thread (or from FSS) to begin with. Even if matters seem similar: It doesn?t matter. To FSS, their own incident should be the only one to focus on, and saying ?but those people are also in the wrong? really doesn?t matter right now. Once everything with this game is sorted out, then you can go and complain about the other game. But whatever, I think I?m bringing unneeded attention to this topic again. I just wanted to share my two cents on this.

Thanks to all the people who have contributed here, as this discussion has told me A LOT about Doujin Culture that I hadn?t know about, either (as in, pretty much everything), and has even clarified why ZUN has set up his guidelines the way he has.
If anybody has the time in the future, you should really copy some of the key points on Doujin Culture into an own separate thread (and make it sticky), so next time, people will be informed about the doujin culture BEFORE another crowdfunding project is being started (and trust me, the people who WOULD start another crowdfunding project will have forgotten or never even heard of this affair here in one or two years).

Holy heck this thread updates fast. In case some of my points have already been said (multiple times) by the time I?m posting this, I?m sorry, but I take decades to write a post. ^^;

Pywackett-Barchetta

• Icelandic Elf Inspector
  • G-A-M-E O-V-E-R
    • Tumblr
« Reply #693 on: January 22, 2015, 05:37:15 PM »
Take out the Touhou characters and you're left with nothing but a Smash clone. Quite frankly, unless you change up the gameplay significantly from what it is currently, what reason would I ever have to play this when I can play the official Super Smash Bros games?
My concern in a nutshell. I thought this would make a perfect two-for-one in that I don't have any new Nintendo consoles and would love a new Touhou fighter that's more up my alley than HM or ULiL. After all this, I'm just kinda disappointed.

Just because one side fucked up doesn't give the other side free pass to say things dickishly.
Truth. Been seeing a lot of bad decisions and a lot of vitriol in this all over the place. If anything, I think we can ascribe most of this to a few guns jumped and a major communication breakdown.

Either way, I really hope you?re game does get finished, with or without Touhou content.
(Even though I?ll probably not follow this project anymore if it?s not Touhou anymore, but that?s beside the point.)

Thanks to all the people who have contributed here, as this discussion has told me A LOT about Doujin Culture that I hadn?t know about, either (as in, pretty much everything), and has even clarified why ZUN has set up his guidelines the way he has.
Well put. This has been very much a learning experience at the least, and hopefully it'll lead things to go more smoothly in the future.

Suwako Moriya

• Hey you with the pretty face
  • Welcome to the human race!
« Reply #694 on: January 22, 2015, 05:45:27 PM »
I want to know who voted for Rika, because damn, that has to be a punch in the gut.
The only thing this dimension does well is show its ass. We might as well applaud it! - Albert Burneko

Well, this game happened.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #695 on: January 22, 2015, 05:47:27 PM »
@ Ammy, Ozzy and Tengukami > I can understand where both of you are coming from though I think you're misunderstanding each other slightly. From a Touhou fan pov, if such quits being Touhou derived game, then it quits being interesting it indeed becomes: "Just another one of those games". For non-Touhou fans it has less impact. If Saijee really wishes to crowdfund his games then he has to step away from Touhou themes. Tengukami presses this point that both desires were an impossible goal: Crowdfund + Touhou based. Clearly Saijee said before that he was admitted as a WiiU dev. I assume he wants to focus on this career and future life and if Touhou derived games block this purpose then it is logical for him to drop.  Fan games based on Touhou cannot be published through Steam, Apple, Android, WiiU or any other platform currently. Period. This is probably what Tengukami is pointing out: The choices to make in real life to move on. Saijee already said a huge weigh came off his shoulders. Which is understandable because he was in "deep shit".

About the guidelines
I am still seeing lots of confusion around on Facebook, Youtube and here about the guidelines. People keep seeing ZUN's guidelines as a rule book. This is wrong. Stop thinking this and stop saying it needs to be updated (well, it somewhat needs to but not specifically because of this incident). Like many people said: By standard, you're not allowed to make derived games. Period. Most people will claim IP rights and make any clone/derived/similar game disappear. Or in other words, it is forbidden.

However ZUN, in case of Touhou Project, gives you a set of guidelines to make this "less forbidden". Only if you follow these guidelines, you're allowed to make derived games. Problem: People have a tunnelvision on the guidelines and don't use their common sense.

This was also one of our major concerns about Saijee's approach. They kept nitpicking the guidlines, complaining about it but failed to realise that in the end, no matter what is written in the guidelines, ZUN can overrule them by claiming either IP or enforcing take down (which is warned in the guidelines). Cuc also said very early in the thread that the guidelines might come off as fuzzy/unclear, but the bottom line is still clearly written there.

Arguing about someone who has full Intellectual Property over his product is like screaming and bashing your head against a concrete wall.

This is why I am kind of shaking my head upon reading childish comments on Youtube or Facebook screaming: "ZUN'S GUIDELINES ARE UNFAIR" or "DOUBLE STANDARDS" (I am looking at you ShineBright). There is no such thing and there never was and there never be. Those type of people are clueless who don't contribute anything to the Touhou community, except troll comments or misinformation and lots of capslocks.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 05:51:39 PM by Helepolis »

Reu

• Ambitious Youkai
« Reply #696 on: January 22, 2015, 05:50:18 PM »
I want to know who voted for Rika, because damn, that has to be a punch in the gut.

That was actually me
Though I'm fine since I have other games to play with her.
Sometimes Streams at Hitbox.tv/Reu

Suwako Moriya

« Reply #697 on: January 22, 2015, 05:54:02 PM »
Oh. Hi!

Congrats on winning the Higurashi lottery, I guess. Sorry it all worked out the way it did, even if you do have other outlets.
The only thing this dimension does well is show its ass. We might as well applaud it! - Albert Burneko

Reu

• Ambitious Youkai
« Reply #698 on: January 22, 2015, 05:55:01 PM »
Oh. Hi!

Congrats on winning the Higurashi lottery, I guess. Sorry it all worked out the way it did, even if you do have other outlets.

Wait what
she actually won?
Talk about bad news

Suwako Moriya

« Reply #699 on: January 22, 2015, 05:56:59 PM »
Yeah, it's mentioned at about 14:35 in the video.

Reu

• Ambitious Youkai
« Reply #700 on: January 22, 2015, 06:00:39 PM »
Yeah, it's mentioned at about 14:35 in the video.
I cant believe this
even Rika wins a not-Rika takes her place?

Now I'm a bit more mad that it's no longer Touhou.

Pywackett-Barchetta

• G-A-M-E O-V-E-R
    • Tumblr
« Reply #701 on: January 22, 2015, 06:05:53 PM »
Wait what
she actually won?
Talk about bad news
...Now I'm kind of doubly disappointed this isn't a Touhou game anymore, because I would absolutely love to see that, much more than Shinmyoumaru, who I actually voted for.

Alcoraiden

« Reply #702 on: January 22, 2015, 06:06:47 PM »
Yeah, good grief, talk about characters getting chances they wouldn't otherwise get...

« Reply #703 on: January 22, 2015, 06:29:44 PM »
Guys,

In response to those saying that Saijee is removing the Touhou component of this project to do another crowdnfunding campaign, I'd like to point out this Youtube conversation. Apparently that isn't why he's doing it:

Quote from: Youtubelink=topic=17884.msg1159389#msg1159389 date=1421950007

So "Doujin Spirit"? I like the name. What isn't clear is whether or not you will start another campaign? 
Reply  ?  5
Hide replies

FromSoySauce11 hours ago (edited)

An actual campaign isn't an option, though if enough fans really want to show support, there are plenty of other ways that play by even the strictest of doujin rules, I can talk about it in more detail in another video.
Reply  ? 

ItohKuni11 hours ago

There will be lots of ways to support, but for this project, we just got out of a mess, so for now I can firmly say "No", there will not be another campaign.
Reply  ?  1
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 06:31:16 PM by Disgaeafan1 »

Reu

• Ambitious Youkai
« Reply #704 on: January 22, 2015, 06:39:34 PM »
I'm calling excuses here.

"Doujin Rules"
What rules?

Alcoraiden

« Reply #705 on: January 22, 2015, 06:40:50 PM »
The unsaid ones that everyone gets up in arms about. Cultures are kinda based on things like that (for better or worse)...

Pywackett-Barchetta

• G-A-M-E O-V-E-R
    • Tumblr
« Reply #706 on: January 22, 2015, 06:42:58 PM »
Quote from: FromSoySauce1
I can talk about it in more detail in another video
What is it with these people's fixation with videos? It makes perfect sense for a dev log where you're showing gameplay progress. For responding to simple inquiries, it's a bit strange.

Ozzy

• Veteran Danmakufu Scripter
  • Currently working on a full Touhou fangame!
« Reply #707 on: January 22, 2015, 06:46:35 PM »
IIRC their Dev logs ARE videos. That's just how they're most comfortable releasing information I guess.

Anyway, the ability to do crowdfunding was only one of my guesses as to why they changed it. Another reason I suspected was so they could publish on the Wii U, Steam and similar platforms. Either way, both ways contribute to that same goal of gaining notoriety and making a career out of game development like an Indie studio, rather than a hobbyist Doujin studio.

Alcoraiden

« Reply #708 on: January 22, 2015, 06:49:33 PM »
I mean my theory on why they dropped it is that they couldn't handle the sheer wall of Internet fury and just wanted to throw it away and do something that wouldn't cause a gigantic clusterfuck. Very human response there, admittedly.

ShadowNCS

• Prinny Overlord
  • Highly Responsive to Jinxes
« Reply #709 on: January 22, 2015, 07:17:50 PM »
I mean my theory on why they dropped it is that they couldn't handle the sheer wall of Internet fury and just wanted to throw it away and do something that wouldn't cause a gigantic clusterfuck. Very human response there, admittedly.
The only problem with that action, though, is that now they get a completely new kind of fury with that action, being that of the disappointed Touhou fans, and even worse, that of the people who only found out about their project during the IGG incident who will then believe they've always been meaning to do this.
And yes, those voices will die down eventually, but so they would if they just continued making the game as they had done before (as in, as a Touhou fan game).

Unless clarified by FSS, I guess all we can do is speculate as of why they really dropped it.
If it is really only to get games onto the WiiU and Steam/ to help their career as an indie developer, I think the best option for them would be to just keep their (Touhou) Smash game as a side project and start an entirely different project they can focus on which they can then sell without worries wherever they want.
I know handling two games at the same time is difficult (since I'm doing exactly that, because of which I'm not even getting far enough to announce my games in this forum xD ), but if they know how to prioritize (unlike me), it shouldn't be that much of a hurdle for them. Yes, the Smash game would take even longer then, but the Touhou community doesn't care how long something takes to get done as long as it gets done (see the Translation patches for the PC98 games).

However, just because I think something is a good idea doesn't mean it actually is. Maybe removing Touhou from their Smash game actually is the better option and I'm just blinded because I really wanted a Touhou Smash game. *shrug*
[Wow, that sounded passive-aggressive. It really wasn't supposed to.]

Reu

• Ambitious Youkai
« Reply #710 on: January 22, 2015, 07:22:53 PM »
Stopping the game because loud people didn't like it seems silly
especially when you put work through with it.

Stopping the game because you want to spread it through steam and Wii-U won't work for reasons stated above.

IF Sakurai for example made a new smash with only OCs not many people would buy it when they can play Smash with characters they know and like.

EDIT:

To answer the statement, we were completely planning to do a Touhou game as long as it was in our ability regardless of the restrictions. We explained that while the project is risky, we want this to be a Touhou game before anything. Our hand was forced when TSA sent us an email accusing us of copyright infringement despite them in previous emails in very plain Japanese stating that copyright is not an issue and to continue making the game.

We were encouraged to make a game using Touhou characters as long as we cancel crowd funding (which we did), and then accused of using the copyright infringement 3 days after.

That is the sole reason our hand was forced to drop the Touhou title.

They really don't understand do they?
The campaign is copyright infringement and the game isn't.

If anything they did them a FAVOR by bringing down the IGG campaign when they clearly couldn't. 

« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 07:42:33 PM by Reu »

« Reply #711 on: January 22, 2015, 08:32:09 PM »
I may not know the full details of everything that is behind FSS's reasons for turning it into a "totally not-Touhou" game, but I'm gonna leave my two cents here. (CAUTION! OPINIONS!)

It's going to leave a bad taste in the mouths of people who originally saw this as a Touhou game. That's why people came and supported the project. Not because it was Smash Bros., but because it was Touhou. Even if the Touhou fans stick with it, they're still going to feel burned every second they play it.  If it wasn't for the Nintendo characters in Super Smash Bros., it wouldn't have been the success it is. It would have just been known as "that weird fighting game (I think?) on the N64, abandoned just like a good number of other Nintendo IPs".

A lot of aspiring game developers quit/fail because they pick a project too big for them, and if this incident is anything to judge by, the same applies to doujin.  A better approach was maybe doing a few smaller projects to get FSS known around the JP doujin circles. Then, perhaps the initial conversation with ZUN would have happened. ZUN didn't even seem to know about this thing until the IndieGoGo campaign showed up, which he didn't have a favorable opinion of, which sure wasn't a good start. Would he have seen it if the IndieGoGo campaign never happened? We'll never know.

Just what happened to spur this decision to make it "totally not-Touhou"? Did something happen in that copyright claim e-mail on the IGG campaign suddenly go, "no, f*** you guys, you're not allowed to do it, ever"? From what impression I was given from ZUN's e-mail about the project as a whole was he was totally fine with it. So....??? The whole thing strikes me as a "Well, I'll make my own tree house, and it's gonna be awesome and you're not invited". If this is not the intention, I will retract that inference.

About the whole Chinese crowdfunding thing: This isn't the time to be pointing fingers. You've got a lot more to work through than complaining about fair treatment right now.

Fulisha of Light

• Also known as Felis-Licht
  • Light and Day Aeon ~C☆
« Reply #712 on: January 22, 2015, 08:42:17 PM »
I'm a bit disappointed by how this all ended. I really had some hope that FSS would pull through and continue to work on the game themselves, but seeing as it's not going to be a Touhou fan game anymore I doubt I'll be following them for very long. Unless they make the game's characters and story really interesting  :V

I'm even more disappointed by their tone of voice in their video. "Woe is me" is the feeling I got from it.

Eiburine

• Ferrero Rocher Lover
« Reply #713 on: January 22, 2015, 09:33:18 PM »
Hmm just a thought... Won't it be easier to keep it as a Touhou game in the long run? Think about it, if you release the game as donationware, not only will you still get money, but touhou fans will be attracted to the game right? :3 that much we know. You can easily create a larger FSS fanbase by attracting a ton of touhou fans with touhou smash, and also your touhou inspired game like bullet life, than if you started a fanbase from steam or wiiu. Touhou smash aleady has touhou-ness in it, why start again? You've done so much work on it already. Youve involved the community by having votes for characters, and the characters planned would have never otherwise been planned. With the community involved more, and everyone being happy and loving the game, you'll have more people in the new FSS fanbase, am I wrong? :3 with more and happy people, wouldn't it be easier to have a completely new, original game greenlighted on steam because people already know about you and like you from touhou smash?  :3 the important thing about being a game developer is being noticed, so a fangame, even if it won't be on steam or wiiu, will attract attention and fans which will be better in the long run wouldn't it? Or am I wrong?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 09:38:46 PM by Eiburine »

Alcoraiden

« Reply #714 on: January 22, 2015, 09:50:59 PM »
Also, for Pete's sake, TSA shutting down the campaign does not mean the *project* can't go ahead. As people have said many times. Unless you've been directly told a contradicting statement to what you told us earlier, you have permission to do the project.

Pywackett-Barchetta

• G-A-M-E O-V-E-R
    • Tumblr
« Reply #715 on: January 22, 2015, 09:53:48 PM »
the important thing about being a game developer is being noticed, so a fangame, even if it won't be on steam or wiiu, will attract attention and fans which will be better in the long run wouldn't it? Or am I wrong?
That's what I'd think, but it's their decision to make, and it seems they've made it. If they'd legitimately rather do their own thing than make it a Touhou thing, then they can. Just a little disappointing after all this buildup and all this effort.

Kiefmaster99

• Touhou Wiki editor
    • Touhou Wiki User Page
« Reply #716 on: January 22, 2015, 09:56:37 PM »
It's quite unfortunate it had to end like this, but I can't say I'm surprised it did for several reasons.

The first reason being is poor understanding of doujin culture in general by those not heavily involved in it, especially outside of Japan. Doujin doesn't have a perfect equivalent in the West, but I'm sure as most people will tell you, they have heard of it being approximated to "indie", whether in translations, or elsewhere (Indie game expos), especially in any media targeted to a foreign audience. This unsurprisingly leads to a misguided approach of how to develop a Touhou game, since assumptions are made that whatever is okay in Indie culture is probably okay in doujin culture. As it turns out, crowdfunding, a rather recent phenomenon, isn't one of those things. Along with many other examples pointed out by you guys. Oops.

The wiki doesn't make things any easier. The document itself is on a page labelled "Touhou Wiki:Copyrights" under the subheading "Copyright status/Terms of Use of the Touhou Project", implying its some sort of legal document when in fact it is quite far from it. It doesn't go into any other further detail either, other than the link to the Wikipedia article on doujin, which doesn't do the culture justice either.

Second is harsh, and sometimes unfair criticism put forth by all sides. First, if a developer wants to move main communication channels elsewhere (Fb/Yt are very common examples; Tw in Japan; could be a separate site altogether for all I care), then why not? Just because it started in one place doesn't mean it must stay there forever. I sure hope you guys aren't like the Wikia which gave me headaches when I wanted to move my TL project elsewhere. Not like I can recall doujin circles congregating on some sort of common forum either.

As a wiki contributor, where good faith is assumed, there's also a lot of bad/poor faith assuming going on and about. You guys seem to demand every inch of proof and harshly point out every misstep from ideal, much like a cross-examiner would at court, Video communiques? Could be a blog post for all I care since both serve the same purpose - a message from the developer, plus room for comments underneath, only difference being inconvenience for the viewer if a transcript isn't provided. Refunds for contributors? Seems you missed the memo posted on other sites, including his more preferred lines of communication.

Doesn't exonerate the developers from fault either. As most people have pointed out, it would've helped to seek advice regarding doujin culture, and not to jump to conclusions too soon. You showed poor faith of ZUN, without considering the possibility that ZUN is simply reluctant to work outside of his comfort zone, i.e. doujin. It's not like he's some inflexible stick either, since he has been accommodating many times in the past (doujin anime even after guideline change being one. Also Fantasy Night). All that said, even in face of criticism, kudos for getting this far.

Haven't read such vitriolic comments about fan projects since the "Vampirish Night" case, and we all know how that turned out.

Alcoraiden

« Reply #717 on: January 22, 2015, 10:20:57 PM »
Glad I'm not the only one who thinks it was pretty vitriolic.

Wonder if Saijee will show up in here or if he's just decided to go on with his life.

Flandre5carlet

• Sister of the Devil
  • "So all I have to do is 'kyuu', and..."
    • flan.moe
« Reply #718 on: January 22, 2015, 10:41:50 PM »
Way I see it it's a bit hard to not be vitriolic to an extent when the guy appears to basically ignore all the advice given on how to progress and watch him dig the hole deeper and deeper because of that. Then make a video that repeats points that were already responded to, etc etc. It /was/ pretty vitriolic, but it's understandable.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 11:57:06 PM by Flandre5carlet »

Firestorm29

• Lily White Mage
  • Spring Time is Healing Time~
« Reply #719 on: January 23, 2015, 12:15:31 AM »
First off, FSS please seriously consider getting someone to help deal with your public better. It really felt like you guys were getting overwhelmed a tad plus wasn't thinking at all about what your actions and phrasing was saying. Even now, I'm willing to bet some people are still getting that burned feeling with the title, since it kinda feels more like the name was chosen out of spite rather than what you guys intend to do.

Also, not too thrilled with what happened with the change. Perhaps it might have been because they want to develop for the WiiU, which is admirable, but the timing of this change makes it a way worse pill to swallow.