Author Topic: [Art] Custom Danmakufu Sprites + Graphics by Fulisha *TAKING ART COMMISSIONS*  (Read 40903 times)

Fulisha of Light

• Also known as Felis-Licht
  • Light and Day Aeon ~C☆
I am currently taking art commissions! I'll draw your character in either ZUN style or JynX style. Send me a note here or on DA if you're interested~

Well, here's my thread for my small sprite art projects. In my spare time, when I don't feel like drawing my usual art, I spend it attempting to make near ZUN-like touhou sprites and other graphics for fun and to experiment with animation in GIMP. I've been meaning to share them here on MotK for some time, so here they are~

Completed Sheets:

Sanae (NEW)

Reimu

Marisa

Marisa's Master Spark (because it was too big to add to her sheet  :derp:)

Orin (no shots)

Cat!Orin (no shots)

Archive of old Sprites (will no longer be updated):
Album Link

Next WIP::

I can also do jewel cases, layouts, bullets and other neat things as well~

Covers/Jewel Cases
Eternal Nightmare [fan game idea]

Layouts/HUDs (Touhou; screen shot mock ups minus the last one)
Embodiment of Scarlet Devil
Perfect Cherry Blossom
Imperishable Night
Eternal Nightmare [my fan game idea]
Nansei Project Layout Set (coming soon...)

Bosses, Enemies, Bullets and other Graphics:
Earth Spirits

!--NOTICE!--!
Due to real life priorities, I am not taking any requests at this time. My apologies.  :ohdear:

If there's an issue with the sheet please let me know and I'll fix it.

I'm welcome to any critique on improving them. You're free to use them in your scripts (in any way you wish!) as long as you ask first and credit me c:
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 09:41:19 AM by Fulisha of Light »

gtbot

• Master of ScreenSplit
Re: [Art] Custom Danmakufu Player and Boss Sprites + Etc. Graphics by Fulisha
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 12:04:42 AM »
Ahh, I've seen your sprites before. I rather like them! If you don't mind my asking, why are the Nansei sprites off-limits?

Some things I'd like to mention:

Try to keep the sprites in a consistent grid, preferably in sizes that are divisible by 8 (not required). Some of your sprites also have extra space on the edges. Combined, it made it difficult for me to figure out the exact coordinates
Momiji: The animation on the sword looks unnatural, due to how stiff it is. Also, her right sleeve isn't as animated as other parts of her sprite
In general, there is some jump-iness in the sprite animations. Kaguya's skirt is the most noticeable

For some reason, I couldn't save Iyona's spritesheet to animate it without it getting corrupted. Strange~

Overall, I like the sprites. You did a great job with them ;)

As for your STG frames/layouts, they are amazing! I love them! Fantastic job on those! :D

Delfigamer

• * Merry, bride, absolute (HR)
  • of course the best girl never wins
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 01:46:31 AM »
Try to keep the sprites in a consistent grid, preferably in sizes that are divisible by 8 (not required).
Actually, video cards just love it when your textures' sizes are powers of 2 (many of them even refuse to work otherwise). By extension, sprites are usually made with "good" sizes too, though latter is not that necessary.
This is related to how video cards process these textures. Let's say... it's just a lot easier when you can cleanly divide by 2 all the way down to 1.
Sometimes you are allowed to load non-good textures as well, but it's often done with a whole spectrum of limitations and drawbacks. For example, D3DX, when is asked to load a texture from a wrong-sized file, creates a good-sized bitmap in memory and then resizes the input image to the target bitmap that way so, when drawn with original image size, original picture is reproduced. Though, when used with sprites, this technique may introduce some nasty artifacts.
Here's an example. I have created two textures, the first one being of good 8*8 size, and the second one being ill 12*12. Then, I asked Direct3D to draw left-topmost 4*4 regions of both textures.
Here's how it looks with the good texture. We see exactly what we intended to show.
Here's how the bad texture works. Colors from neighboring regions flood into our sprite. Why does it happen? Because, during loading, D3DX resized our 12*12 image to 16*16 texture, so texels' boundaries are no longer where we wanted them - instead of whole 4 texels we see about 5.3 of them which correspond to our desired region.
To add more clarity, here the full texture is shown. As we see, it's size is actually 16*16, not 12*12 as we originally intended. Though, if I put this texture on a 12*12px square, I would get the original image.
To make the point more evident, it this example I used a rather large size for sprites and effectively disabled magnification filtering, so we can clearly see the boundaries of texels. Still, even with default linear filter and near 1 pixel-to-texel ratio, we still can see this color flooding artifact near our sprites' borders.
However, as I said earlier, nothing stops us from putting arbitrary-sized sprites in a good-sized image. Still, traditionally, the whole texture is usually divided into a right grid, which makes individual regions to have power-of-two sizes as well.
As an example, here is a sprite sheet from guess what. As you see, 256*256 texture is divided into 4*4 grid, making each region 64*64px in size. [UPD] oh wait what that's 4*3 grid, okay, bad example, imagine this one was never mentioned :o [/UPD] Here is another sheet from the same game. Some of the grid cells are further divided to make space for smaller objects.
As for the whole texture size, it's usually 256*256, though I remember creating several huge 4096*2048 texture for some bitmap Unicode font. They weren't all loaded at once, though.

So, that's how sprite sheets are made in real good games. :3

P. S. You are welcome.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 02:43:02 AM by Delfigamer »

The Jealous Witch did nothing wrong.

gtbot

• Master of ScreenSplit
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 02:35:40 AM »
Ahh, thanks for the explanation, although, I was already fully aware about the power of 2 texture sizes ;)

As you said, the sprites themselves being in a power of 2 isn't all that necessary, and me saying 8 was arbitrary, but that's why I said the '(not required)' bit. I only said 8 since most sprites I've worked with are laid out in grids divisible by 8. Hmm, thinking back about it, it was completely arbitrary of me to say that, excuse me  :X

Changing the actual texture size to a power of 2 isn't hard to do, which was why I didn't mention it, since I didn't want to get technical about it. Thinking about it, it's probably important to mention it, for when designing the layout of the sprite sheet. I'd like to echo those details for Fulisha of Light to keep in mind for future sprite sheets.

P.S. why the link to Drake's thread?

Delfigamer

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 02:40:40 AM »
I thought somebody could wonder where the touhou examples were taken from.
Well, that at least explains where the legs of these grids grow from.

Wait. When I start to count the pixels in the images posted... wut
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 02:46:34 AM by Delfigamer »

Fulisha of Light

• Light and Day Aeon ~C☆
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2015, 12:22:08 PM »
Ahh, I've seen your sprites before. I rather like them! If you don't mind my asking, why are the Nansei sprites off-limits?

Some things I'd like to mention:

Try to keep the sprites in a consistent grid, preferably in sizes that are divisible by 8 (not required). Some of your sprites also have extra space on the edges. Combined, it made it difficult for me to figure out the exact coordinates
Momiji: The animation on the sword looks unnatural, due to how stiff it is. Also, her right sleeve isn't as animated as other parts of her sprite
In general, there is some jump-iness in the sprite animations. Kaguya's skirt is the most noticeable

For some reason, I couldn't save Iyona's spritesheet to animate it without it getting corrupted. Strange~

Overall, I like the sprites. You did a great job with them ;)

As for your STG frames/layouts, they are amazing! I love them! Fantastic job on those! :D

Well the reason for that is that the sprites are made for LENK64 if she ever decides to make a game. (Plus, Iyona's sprites aren't done yet and I may redo Nozomi at some point in time.)

I don't know about the sleeve, but I will look into it and fix it and the sword (maybe shrink it down a bit since Delfigamer mentioned the grid sizes; I always tend to make things too big  :ohdear:). I'm still trying to find the right speed for the sprites so it flows like in the game. Unless the frame by frame animation is off.

Iyona's sprites got corrupted?  :o That shouldn't happen. Did you try saving it again?

I like doing the layouts the most. Always fun to experiment with :D

Actually, video cards just love it when your textures' sizes are powers of 2 (many of them even refuse to work otherwise). By extension, sprites are usually made with "good" sizes too, though latter is not that necessary.
This is related to how video cards process these textures. Let's say... it's just a lot easier when you can cleanly divide by 2 all the way down to 1.
Sometimes you are allowed to load non-good textures as well, but it's often done with a whole spectrum of limitations and drawbacks. For example, D3DX, when is asked to load a texture from a wrong-sized file, creates a good-sized bitmap in memory and then resizes the input image to the target bitmap that way so, when drawn with original image size, original picture is reproduced. Though, when used with sprites, this technique may introduce some nasty artifacts.
Here's an example. I have created two textures, the first one being of good 8*8 size, and the second one being ill 12*12. Then, I asked Direct3D to draw left-topmost 4*4 regions of both textures.
Here's how it looks with the good texture. We see exactly what we intended to show.
Here's how the bad texture works. Colors from neighboring regions flood into our sprite. Why does it happen? Because, during loading, D3DX resized our 12*12 image to 16*16 texture, so texels' boundaries are no longer where we wanted them - instead of whole 4 texels we see about 5.3 of them which correspond to our desired region.
To add more clarity, here the full texture is shown. As we see, it's size is actually 16*16, not 12*12 as we originally intended. Though, if I put this texture on a 12*12px square, I would get the original image.
To make the point more evident, it this example I used a rather large size for sprites and effectively disabled magnification filtering, so we can clearly see the boundaries of texels. Still, even with default linear filter and near 1 pixel-to-texel ratio, we still can see this color flooding artifact near our sprites' borders.
However, as I said earlier, nothing stops us from putting arbitrary-sized sprites in a good-sized image. Still, traditionally, the whole texture is usually divided into a right grid, which makes individual regions to have power-of-two sizes as well.
As an example, here is a sprite sheet from guess what. As you see, 256*256 texture is divided into 4*4 grid, making each region 64*64px in size. [UPD] oh wait what that's 4*3 grid, okay, bad example, imagine this one was never mentioned :o [/UPD] Here is another sheet from the same game. Some of the grid cells are further divided to make space for smaller objects.
As for the whole texture size, it's usually 256*256, though I remember creating several huge 4096*2048 texture for some bitmap Unicode font. They weren't all loaded at once, though.

So, that's how sprite sheets are made in real good games. :3

P. S. You are welcome.

I think I understand what you mean. I guess I'll have to resize them a bit and layout a grid then?  ???

Uruwi

• Nightmare of Torrential Precipitation
  • 478 million goober
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2015, 04:59:57 PM »
Great, now someone can make actual games out of the Nansei Project.
foo = foldl $ flip ($)
Highest difficulty 1CCed for each game, by shot type in the original order. (-: never 1CCed on any difficulty, or never used; E: easy, N: normal, H: hard, L / U: lunatic / unreal.)
EoSD [NNNE] PCB [EE--N-] IN [NEEE + Ex Border] PoFV [Mystia N, Mystia E no charge] MoF [EN--H- + Ex Marisa B] SA [N-----] UFO [----EN] TD [NENE] DDC [EE-EHE + Ex Marisa B & Sakuya A] LoLK [PD --N- Legacy ---N] EE [N- + Ex Yabusame] EMS [N-- + Ex Yabusame] RMI [NHN + Ex YaoSuku]
Avelantis (demo) Easy YuukiB 426,077,200

gtbot

• Master of ScreenSplit
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2015, 08:41:41 PM »
Well the reason for that is that the sprites are made for LENK64 if she ever decides to make a game. (Plus, Iyona's sprites aren't done yet and I may redo Nozomi at some point in time.)

I don't know about the sleeve, but I will look into it and fix it and the sword (maybe shrink it down a bit since Delfigamer mentioned the grid sizes; I always tend to make things too big  :ohdear:). I'm still trying to find the right speed for the sprites so it flows like in the game. Unless the frame by frame animation is off.

Iyona's sprites got corrupted?  :o That shouldn't happen. Did you try saving it again?

I like doing the layouts the most. Always fun to experiment with :D
Understandable. I can't remember where I read it, but I think she got a group of people to finally make a game for Nansei?
Personally, I'm still going to make a Danmakufu script of Yumi, eventually...  :3

I haven't actually checked ZUN's animation speed frame by frame, but when I (personally) animate ZUN's player sprites, I have the idle animation running at 1/10th of a second for each frame (6 frame delay when running at 60 fps). For movement, I run it at 1/15th of a second (4 frame delay at 60fps), but the first four sprite speeds are doubled (1/30th, 2 frame delay at 60fps); it then loops to the 5th sprite.
I did indeed mean the frame by frame animaion was slightly off, as in the smoothness of the animation. Most of them were fine (Chen's was great), but Kaguya is kind of all over the place with her skirt. However, this could also be because of the placement of the sprites, I'm not sure.

I tried multiple times to save Iyone's sprites, but it just kept getting corrupted. However, I was able to just copy and paste the image it onto a new image, though, so it worked out in the end :)
Definitely work on the grids, as it seems as though Iyone is in a 65.25x100 grid, I think? Try to stay away from decimal placements. The placements of the sprites themselves aren't centered on the grid, so she teleports slightly left and right during her animation.

I think I understand what you mean. I guess I'll have to resize them a bit and layout a grid then?  ???

What he means is that your overall image sizes should be in powers of 2 (such as 128x128, 256x256, 512x256, etc; currently, your images have sizes such as 357x154). It's not required for your sprites themselves to be in powers of 2, but generally, people make sprites with that in mind, so their sprites end up actually being in a power of 2

Fulisha of Light

• Light and Day Aeon ~C☆
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 06:06:14 AM »
Understandable. I can't remember where I read it, but I think she got a group of people to finally make a game for Nansei?
Personally, I'm still going to make a Danmakufu script of Yumi, eventually...  :3

I haven't actually checked ZUN's animation speed frame by frame, but when I (personally) animate ZUN's player sprites, I have the idle animation running at 1/10th of a second for each frame (6 frame delay when running at 60 fps). For movement, I run it at 1/15th of a second (4 frame delay at 60fps), but the first four sprite speeds are doubled (1/30th, 2 frame delay at 60fps); it then loops to the 5th sprite.
I did indeed mean the frame by frame animaion was slightly off, as in the smoothness of the animation. Most of them were fine (Chen's was great), but Kaguya is kind of all over the place with her skirt. However, this could also be because of the placement of the sprites, I'm not sure.

I tried multiple times to save Iyone's sprites, but it just kept getting corrupted. However, I was able to just copy and paste the image it onto a new image, though, so it worked out in the end :)
Definitely work on the grids, as it seems as though Iyone is in a 65.25x100 grid, I think? Try to stay away from decimal placements. The placements of the sprites themselves aren't centered on the grid, so she teleports slightly left and right during her animation.

Oh really? That's the first I've heard. Maybe I'll ask her more about it.

Ah, I see. That's really helpful, thank you ^^

What he means is that your overall image sizes should be in powers of 2 (such as 128x128, 256x256, 512x256, etc; currently, your images have sizes such as 357x154). It's not required for your sprites themselves to be in powers of 2, but generally, people make sprites with that in mind, so their sprites end up actually being in a power of 2
Oh! The (player) sprites actually were 256x256, but I cut off the rest of the image because I didn't make them their shots yet (and all that would be there for shots is Reimu's because I used her format as a base).  :blush:

Here's Momiji's sprite sheet, Version 2

• Smaller sword and colored more lightly; fixed the sleeves a little
  • Everything should be lining up nicely now on 256x256; Shield was moved a little
  • No shots (yet) unfortunately, but I'm open to suggestions

Delfigamer

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2015, 09:29:40 AM »
32*48? I approve :3

Considering shots, how about sword slashes like TD Youmu's unfocused?
No ideas about her options. Aside from maple leaves, which seem rather far-fethed for me.
Though... :derp:
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 09:35:48 AM by Delfigamer »

Fulisha of Light

• Light and Day Aeon ~C☆
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2015, 10:36:34 PM »
So much to do, so little time these past few days~

In that time, I figured out how to make a tiny detailed leaf  ◕‿◕ for Momiji~

I also gave her unfocused shot similar to Youmu, just more arrow-like (thank you for the suggestion Delfigamer~)

gtbot

• Master of ScreenSplit
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2015, 04:24:39 AM »
Oooh, it's much easier to animate properly now :D

Now that I was able to take a proper look at the animation, it seems that her shield is constantly being raised in her movement animation loop; I would say to move the shield raising animation to the first four sprites, and then have it shuffle around in the last four sprites (the looping portion)

The leaf looks really nice! I can imagine it being used as an effect for her options (I can't see it as it being the option itself though)

I wonder what her bomb may be? Her biting attack from Double Spoiler? Or perhaps a large windy attack? Or maybe even a shield slam/counter sort of thing... hmm  :3

Fulisha of Light

• Light and Day Aeon ~C☆
Still working on some stuff, but here's a little preview of something:
  :3

Referenced from Flandre's MUGEN sprite (those crystals took forever to do so hopefully they're consistent OTL).

Fulisha of Light

• Light and Day Aeon ~C☆
(I hope I'm not breaking the rules or anything since I haven't posted in awhile  :ohdear: really sorry)

Had some issues with my files last month (as I keep everything on a USB) where I thought I lost everything due to some weird error, but I managed to find it all and put it on a new USB  :D unfortunately, I haven't gotten too much done, only some small things here and there.

Here's a quick WIP of that Flandre sprite I was working on~

I'm up for some critiques on it (in particular the wings; like if they're too big or off)

pasu

• what are they talking about!
  • medi for 14.5 never ;_;
lol, its alright if you're bumping your own thread (re: the not posting in a while)

Personally I think the sprite's fine, really cute!

i should probably get to changing my sig but im too lazy

art thread / yukkuri quest thread

Delfigamer

Did you copy the dress's movement off ZUN's Reimu? Because if you didn't, I have very good news for you :derp:

On another note, does Flandre really flap her wings? I thought they weren't even real "wings", to begin with, and weren't made flexible.
I once heard that those are simply decorated metal tubes that Flandre augmented herself with to look more like her actually bewinged sister. Not like I've seen much proof of it in the canon; though this though probably did influence my image of her.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 05:35:11 PM by Delfigamer »

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
The only thing noticeably awkward for me is the hat twitching to the right every loop or so.
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour

Fulisha of Light

• Light and Day Aeon ~C☆
lol, its alright if you're bumping your own thread (re: the not posting in a while)

Personally I think the sprite's fine, really cute!
Alrighty, thank you~ I was a little worried  :)

Did you copy the dress's movement off ZUN's Reimu? Because if you didn't, I have very good news for you :derp:

On another note, does Flandre really flap her wings? I thought they weren't even real "wings", to begin with, and weren't made flexible.
I once heard that those are simply decorated metal tubes that Flandre augmented herself with to look more like her actually bewinged sister. Not like I've seen much proof of it in the canon; though this though probably did influence my image of her.

It's based off of Reimu's dress, but it's not the sprite exactly (it looks similar, but it's different as I tried to make it look that way).
I thought Flandre was able to flap her wings  ???  ZUN's sprite of her in StB has her flapping them if I'm not mistaken (though it was a little more stiff).

The only thing noticeably awkward for me is the hat twitching to the right every loop or so.

Whoa, I didn't even see that. Oops  :blush: thank you for pointing that out~

In the Extra Stage of EoSD, she is shown flapping her wings in her sprite when she isn't moving:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8JmfCYmtHo

Abraham Lincoln

• Mendelssohn for President 2016
  • Make Bach Great Again!
How do you make such impossibly beautiful and authentic layouts? I can't possibly make something even half as good as that.

Fulisha of Light

• Light and Day Aeon ~C☆
How do you make such impossibly beautiful and authentic layouts? I can't possibly make something even half as good as that.

A lot of time and a lot of experimenting with various textures, hues, and combinations mostly.  :derp:

Fulisha of Light

• Light and Day Aeon ~C☆
Updated with a cover/jewel case I've been working on~
(About 4 alterations during several months until it looked nice OTL...)

SuppatenkoMaster

• the Master of all Suppatenkos
Chen *~Updated~*

Chen [Animated Idle version]

Oh, thank you thank you thank you!!

There were no Chen-Player sprites in the internet in previous year! And you alone changed it!

I'll use it for now))

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2015, 03:11:13 AM »
Very nice job, I'm looking forward to seeing the completed Flandre sheet

Fulisha of Light

• Light and Day Aeon ~C☆
Reviving this thread with some newly updated sprites and a notice, so check out the OP for everything up-to-date.

Had to completely move everything I made to Imgur because of Photobucket no longer allowing third-party sharing and also some loss of files. :ohdear: All of the old sprites I made and posted in this thread are going to be archived and no longer updated. I will consider revamping them to match the newest batch here in the future though, so don't feel down about it. ;)

Plus, I feel like I could've done better and made them more unique. A lot of the sprites were made using some of ZUN's and I wanted to make them very distinct and simple to use. So I started from scratch with this set, focusing on making Reimu and Marisa to start off. The difference is that they use less frames (4) but are otherwise better looking and this time come with their own shots~ :3

Any of the sprites posted here by me are free for anyone to use as long as you contact me first and give credit when used.

Fulisha of Light

• Light and Day Aeon ~C☆
I can post freely again, yay :V the 500 curse has been lifted!  :]
I am taking commissions for ZUN style and JynX style art. Send me a note on DA if you're interested~

Still working on my sprites, but I have a tiny update; I plan on making some Nansei sprites in the future as well starting with Miko and Ritsuka:

These are just previews for now, but I'm also working on Miko's shot sheet:

A preview of one of her kunai~

I also plan on releasing all of my Nansei game frames for anyone to use once I manage to revamp and complete them all.  :3
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 04:06:49 AM by Fulisha of Light »

Fulisha of Light

• Light and Day Aeon ~C☆
Bumping thread with an update! I finally finished my Sanae player and she's been added to the OP~ her shots are designed after UFO's (minus bombs)  :D