Author Topic: WE'RE NAKED AND IT JUST SAVED EVERYTHING! [Kill la Kill Thread]  (Read 173248 times)

Formless God

Re: It didn't just SAVE anime [Kill la Kill Thread]
« Reply #60 on: October 13, 2013, 10:54:25 PM »
The sprite flipping thing was great though
Kind of disheartening seeing Powerpoint tricks used by the very studio that brought you Little Witch Academia.

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #61 on: October 13, 2013, 11:06:19 PM »
Kind of disheartening seeing Powerpoint tricks used by the very studio that brought you Little Witch Academia.
...you really think they used that for any reason besides purposeful comedic effect?

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #62 on: October 13, 2013, 11:34:32 PM »
The artwork is so outlandish and animated and ridiculous, like it couldn't get more anime than what it is now. The characters are so goddamn expressive and everything is just ridiculous to the max, nothing feels lazy at all. There's huge attention to detail in even little things like the Sentinel figure in the kid's desk. Believe me, I was peeling the first episode apart for cosplay reference and I took tons of still shots >>

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #63 on: October 13, 2013, 11:40:00 PM »
The artwork is so outlandish and animated and ridiculous, like it couldn't get more anime than what it is now. The characters are so goddamn expressive and everything is just ridiculous to the max, nothing feels lazy at all. There's huge attention to detail in even little things like the Sentinel figure in the kid's desk. Believe me, I was peeling the first episode apart for cosplay reference and I took tons of still shots >>

I agree with all of this.^

I haven't even finished my last cosplay, but I'm already strongly considering commissioning something from this show for next year. Lots of good options already, and I'm sure there are tons and tons of designs left before it's over.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #64 on: October 14, 2013, 03:29:47 PM »

how I watch this episode.
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

Fetch()tirade

• serial time-waster
« Reply #65 on: October 14, 2013, 06:00:01 PM »

« Reply #66 on: October 15, 2013, 04:20:06 AM »
I've gotta say this anime is quite good. From the first two episodes, I can clearly see that it's different from the rest of the anime airing this season. Trigger does it again (I will always enjoy Inferno Copu)

Zerviscos

• Infinite Bread Chewing Powers! Activate!
  • Om nom nom nom nom nom*
« Reply #67 on: October 15, 2013, 01:04:43 PM »
I didn't realize Ryuko is voiced by Ami Koshimizu. VA of Mugino Shizuri, one of my favorite hot and sadistic characters of all time.

Twitter | Steam | Battle.net[Zerviscos#1833]

Amraphenson

• The problem is, you're a friend that likes to talk!
  • ...well, I am too!
« Reply #68 on: October 17, 2013, 09:51:11 PM »
Even lewder. Oh god even lewder. Love it.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 10:14:18 PM by Amra »
Sugoiiii~
[23:02] <~Iced> You have sown the seeds of your own destruction Amra.
[23:20] <Stuffman> enjoy your personally crafted hell Amra

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #69 on: October 17, 2013, 10:20:19 PM »
brb running out of the house naked to see if I become superman

but really

felt like the preview was talking to me, it's past 1 am here

« Reply #70 on: October 17, 2013, 11:19:26 PM »
this fucking show omg

pasu

• what are they talking about!
  • medi for 14.5 never ;_;
« Reply #71 on: October 17, 2013, 11:52:21 PM »
reaction for episode 3 basically:

ppppasu: ah
ppppasu: help this is too fucking badass
ppppasu: >how small you are
ppppasu: omg double meaning
ppppasu: o m f g ma  k o

i should probably get to changing my sig but im too lazy

art thread / yukkuri quest thread

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
  • Spin like there's no tomorrow
« Reply #72 on: October 18, 2013, 12:00:27 AM »
fUCK i feel crushed by the sheer badassness of this goddamn show

I usually really despise such blatant fanservice but they make it work somehow
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs
Despite the name, it's mostly 3D models.

My fanfics.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #73 on: October 18, 2013, 12:34:21 AM »
It's mainly because two women fighting in a SCREAMING MURDEROUS RAGE isn't very sexual, no matter how naked they are :V

As a side note, I kind of think it was a mistake to have Ryuko fight the final boss on equal terms this early, now fighting her way through the student council totem pole seems like kind of a trivial speedbump.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 12:37:57 AM by Stuffman »

Amraphenson

• The problem is, you're a friend that likes to talk!
  • ...well, I am too!
« Reply #74 on: October 18, 2013, 12:41:25 AM »
I'm going to assume all the heads and club leaders will have assorted tricks or rules that will make the fight interesting.
Sugoiiii~
[23:02] <~Iced> You have sown the seeds of your own destruction Amra.
[23:20] <Stuffman> enjoy your personally crafted hell Amra

« Reply #75 on: October 18, 2013, 12:44:29 AM »
i think thats a safe assumption after the second episode

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
  • Spin like there's no tomorrow
« Reply #76 on: October 18, 2013, 12:53:43 AM »
two women fighting in a SCREAMING MURDEROUS RAGE isn't very sexual
speak for yourself buddy

How many eps there will be? 'Cause there seemed to be quite a lot of club presidents for her to fight
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs
Despite the name, it's mostly 3D models.

My fanfics.

« Reply #77 on: October 18, 2013, 01:10:10 AM »
gainax's old full series were typically 26 episodes

the club fights will probably go to around the halfway point and then arc change or something

also mako is the best best friend ever

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #78 on: October 18, 2013, 01:25:32 AM »
I'm going to assume all the heads and club leaders will have assorted tricks or rules that will make the fight interesting.

Or that premise will be dropped in a few episodes and the show will be about something else suddenly. If this does not happen at some point within the first ten I'll be shocked.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

« Reply #79 on: October 18, 2013, 01:55:44 AM »
The artwork is so outlandish and animated and ridiculous, like it couldn't get more anime than what it is now.

This is the main reason I love this show so much, the zaniness of the animation and how fluid it is during the fight scenes is just incredible.

Widermelonz

• Delicious
  • Yum
« Reply #80 on: October 18, 2013, 04:07:00 AM »
I thought the first two episodes were pretty okay. Lackluster dialog. Unremarkable humor. 2muchreferences4me. Uninspired character personalities (which I presumed was intentional so that they can develop it, so it didn't bother me that much). Though I will say some of the action scenes were pretty entertaining, good ol' hot-blooded fun. And the setting seemed interesting too. The main thing that kept my interest was the music, which has been completely amazing all the way through. I wasn't particularly fond of this show at first, but I planned to give it at least 3 episode, like what I usually do with most shows airing.

And the 3rd episodes was absolutely fantastic. This episode had the best of everything so far. Best action, best character interactions, best dialog, best everything. And of course, the music was superb as usual. I know I've said it already but, oh god I love the music. Looking forward to the next episodes.

satsuki and mako best grills

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #81 on: October 18, 2013, 05:27:02 AM »
I've taken to calling the main villain (Satsuki?) Sister Jill because I can't remember her real name (also because Cutey Honey). It drives my roommates crazy.

Oh right, show is great still.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #82 on: October 18, 2013, 05:38:23 AM »
Show gets better every episode. And I don't know if this is some secret message on body positivity or what but seriously it's like EMBRACE HOW HOT YOU ARE AND BEAT THE SHIT OUT OF PEOPLE WITH IT!

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Zerviscos

« Reply #83 on: October 18, 2013, 09:14:13 AM »
I knew Satsuki has that
Spoiler:
battle uniform also
. It seemed fairly obvious in the character sheet.

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #84 on: October 18, 2013, 11:05:34 AM »
Satsuki is just an awesome villain in general. She is completely, 100% devoted to her goals and she's completely willing to do whatever it takes to achieve them. She oozes badass from every pore.

I'm kind of glad they got rid of the blood-drain timer though. Having every fight end with Ryuko running away to not pass out was going to get a bit silly.

[also how the hell does ryuko share a voice actor with yukiko amagi that just doesn't seem physically possible]
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 11:08:23 AM by RouCan'tDance »

Nietz

• NEETz
  • Normal Person
« Reply #85 on: October 18, 2013, 11:42:28 AM »
Whoa, I was waiting the usual 3 episodes for a more consistent opinion, and this show just gets more awesome each time. It's amazing out superbly animated and unashamedly anime-tastic it is.
I was a little concerned by the seemingly unnecessary fanservice, but now it's clear that it's supposed to be not only blatantly tongue-in-cheek, but also actually relevant, since clothing and nakedness seem to be the underlying themes of the show.

There seems to be a commentary on the semiotics of clothing and power both at obvious and subtle levels here. Early on Satsuki calls to attention that traditional Japanese uniforms are actually modified military uniforms (to which she even added rank insignia equivalents). And being "better dressed" not only makes you physically more powerful, but it's directly related to the position you get to have in society.
On the other hand there's the notion that the clothes don't ultimately "make the person", what you are underneath the clothes (in spirit, that is) is the the important thing when dressing. If you lack confidence and are ashamed of your body, clothes are just a disguise. All the Goku wearers are literally stripped of their clothes (power signifiers) when defeated, but both both Satsuki and Matoi draw their strength from accepting the inherent "nakedness" of their outfits.

Anyway, just my musings on what stood out in this show for me.

Speaking of which, I'm really hoping it goes for 26 episodes, since lately almost every anime seems to be playing it safe with 13 episodes.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 12:41:56 PM by Nietz »

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #86 on: October 18, 2013, 02:33:17 PM »
That and the whole fanservice angle is being used both to make fun of the whole concept as well as overtly make fun of otaku who objectify women in that sort of fashion. While I agree the presentation may be a bit problematic and uncomfortable to some people, I really feel like there's a whole different level of social commentary going on.

You should have heard my rant about this last night on #scarlet-library. Just from 3 episodes alone I've pulled a ton of very succinct social commentary on this show and I am absolutely excited to see what direction Trigger takes this. Along with that there is a complete lack of gender roles of any kind attempted to be enforced. Ryuuko is a badass but she needs no man in her life to save her, and Satsuki bows to no man as well. And while they're both written as "strong" women, they're not being written as masculine as is the tendency. Satsuki has ambition and determination, she is totally dedicated to her cause, but this is not being conflated as masculine. She does not look nor act masculine (wearing heels and the way she poses), even going so far as to referring to her Kamui as a wedding dress. While Ryuuko is performing a traditionally male role in society, "avenging" (or at least, investigating the circumstances of) her father's death, she's not portrayed as masculine as well. She's clearly girly and proud of it, but at the same time still being a complete badass who doesn't take shit from anyone. She may not have agency in her situation right now, but this is not because she's a girl.

She's embarrassed for being forced to "expose" herself during her transformation sequence, and when others start to expose themselves, but this is not being presented with the intent to show that overt showing of sexuality is "unladylike". Mako's mom makes that clear, she asks about the exhibitionist thing not as "omg ew that's weird" but more out of a straight up curiosity. Mako is very open in her sexuality and how attractive Ryuuko is and that she should flaunt it and be proud of it (I would not be surprised if she's queer in some fashion). Yet at the same time Ryuuko is not just a pair of boobs and good legs, she crushes people who just think she's just using her attractiveness as a weapon. So does Satsuki, she scorns the commoners for fawning over her during her transformation sequence, and scorns Ryuuko for feeling embarrassment from the rabble getting their kicks in. Fuck the haters, if you want to be cute or hot you do it for yourself, and don't let others' opinions sway how you wish to present yourself. But don't feel forced to act or dress sexily because other people are pigs and only see beauty and self worth as skin deep.

There's also a very huge social commentary on the stratification of society and arbitrary factors not only determining social status, but potentially affecting quality of life entirely. The way the academy is structured is very stratified. Where you live and what accommodations you have, down to the food you're able to eat, are all based on what star uniform you have. Satsuki runs a very strict meritocracy; personal ability gets you your station in life, not flattery. She sees flattery and brownnosing as something commoners do. People with agency and power know they have power and do not subvert to other people. This has problems though, as it turns people into resources to be used by those with more ambition, and neglects their feelings and ultimately their humanity. Satsuki literally sees everyone as pawns for her ambition, and that her charge in life is to lead people from their worthless lives into a greater purpose.

The whole commentary on the uniforms being not just an overt show of status, but of power is a further social commentary on appearances being a tool used to force conformity to a cause, one the person may not necessarily believe in. They made a very clear point to demonstrate their class uniforms as being based off of military uniforms. There's an extreme sense of discipline being instilled across all aspects of school life, to the point of absurdity such as being punished for not getting permission to be kidnapped. All the class material being read so far has been of totalitarian dictators such as Mussolini and Hitler. Fascism is clearly what's being presented here, a blind dedication to a cause and having belief in such reflecting status in society. This is what Ryuuko is struggling to fight against (whether she's aware of it or not is up to debate though), to give people their own agency in life, while at the same time respecting every human as an equal.

Ryuuko thinks she's fighting to figure out who killed her dad, but it's being hinted at that she's being forced into a struggle she may not necessarily believe in, and that her dad may not have been the saint she had been idolizing him as. Ryuuko has energy and determination but no idea what she's fighting for or even who she's fighting against, and Satsuki directly scorns and attacks her for this. Satsuki isn't even necessarily the person who killed her dad, she just happens to be someone who may know, and there's an underlying hint at a conflict between her dad and Satsuki's family. Ryuuko is kind of just flailing at the first person in front of her and fighting blindly without any sense of purpose or belief. But at the same time she doesn't see Ryuuko as a peon or beneath her, in fact she respects her as an equal due to her display of will. She just does not respect her motivations as Ryuuko has not shown any agency in them.

I am ecstatic to see what direction this goes as the show continues. While there hasn't been very much in the way of deep character exposition, I feel like what they've hinted at so far shows there's A LOT more here than just a simple PUNCH ALL THE FACES AND CRUSH THE POWER SYSTEM typical youthful rebellion story. Along with the deconstruction of magical girl and schoolage coming of life shows and their troupes (and overtly making fun of the mouthbreathing otaku, which I heavily endorse), they're hinting at a much greater social commentary in general on not only class and social standing, but on all social constructs (gender, etc) and personal identity in general.

I will say I do enjoy the point you brought up on the whole concept of the Kamui being "being comfortable in one's skin". It's clear that the uniforms are being portrayed as alive in some fashion, and exerting a will of their own. The attempt to put on a 50% life fiber uniform resulted in the person going completely berserk, and when the other Kamui was activated Senketsu was described as having "goosebumps", not unlike a skin. And Satsuki clearly references her transformation as making her "pure". She becomes an object of pure willpower and determination, all airs and other social constructs are stripped away and the person is left completely exposed. All the Goku uniforms shown so far seem to be hyperexaggerations of a particular role each person is playing, and like you said, when the others are defeated they are "exposed" as the frauds they are. Contrast this to both Satsuki and Ryuuko; they are powerful in their own might without any "aid", the Kamui is merely unlocking it.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 02:56:42 PM by helvetica »

Nietz

• NEETz
  • Normal Person
« Reply #87 on: October 19, 2013, 04:00:17 AM »
Hear, hear. That's pretty much my own impressions as well, put more eloquently. I focused more on the clothing theme, because clothes and fashion as signifier have been one of my interests for quite some time, and it was a nice surprise to see an anime (and a kick-ass one at that) adopting it.

Satsuki's Kamui being referred as her "wedding dress" was also very interesting. Historically, wedding was the most a woman could hope for advancing in life and society, and even today it's still largely thought of, specially in media, as the biggest event of her life. But Satsuki not only eschews, but outright ignores the idea of attaching herself to a man as a way of advancing in life. Instead, by putting on Junketsu she seem to be metaphorically "getting married to herself" (well, it could be argued that she is marrying Junketsu itself, but the Kamui seem to be represented not really as fully independent beings, but rather as symbiotic potentializers of their wearers).

Zerviscos

« Reply #88 on: October 19, 2013, 01:16:46 PM »
[also how the hell does ryuko share a voice actor with yukiko amagi that just doesn't seem physically possible]
Ami Koshimizu is just that wonderful. Plus Atlus loves her.

EDIT:
HOW DID I NOT NOTICE THIS EARLIER.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 01:44:02 PM by En »

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #89 on: October 20, 2013, 03:53:29 AM »
My only complaint about the fanservice is I wonder if Trigger could have gotten their point across re: body positivity and embracing femininity and such without it. Because while I definitely don't feel like it's being done just to have an excuse to have Ryuuko in skimpy clothing, it might have reached a wider audience without it. Right now it's very hard for me to go "hey this show is amazing and is a huge girl power thing but... everyone basically shows their boobs off the entire time" :S