Author Topic: Touhou is harder :V Derp thread III  (Read 213875 times)

MMX

• In Soviet Gensokyo...
  • ...bullets dodge you.
    • LiveJournal blog
Re: Touhou is harder :V Derp thread III
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2012, 01:24:03 PM »
*SA Stage 4*
*Me trying to stream ball-looking bullets and failing*
"Oh, okay, let's just warp to the other side of the scree-- hey, why doesn't it works?"
"Oh wait, I'm using ReimuC-- *ball'd*"
Haha.
I once tried to gap through the border with ReimuB...
In MoF :D
My danmakufu thread Most recent - "Kappa Mechanics" (Nitori fight)   My youtube channel Latest update - EoSD extra no bombs clear

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2012, 02:34:31 PM »
It's always great to confuse what game you're playing :V

> items are about to fall out
> grazes a shitton

> is playing MoF

« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2012, 03:45:12 AM »

Random

• Rice cakes, sea anemones
  • Benzene, benzene ♪
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2012, 04:50:05 AM »

> grazes a shitton

> is playing MoF

Don't remind me.

>continuously tries to go to PoC
>is playing a PC-98 game

>goes to PoC below full power, thinking that focusing will make it work
>is playing EoSD

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2012, 04:53:21 AM »
Try this excellent one I pulled from a couple of days ago:

> attempts to deathbomb
> I end up hitting "C"
> is playing SA

Makai Butterfly

• Superhuman
  • A world of dharma filled with light
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2012, 07:15:52 AM »
For fun, I decided to try and see if I could do a challenge timeout of Satori's Border of Wave and Particle by only dodging using ReimuA gap ability to go back and forth (aka "Border of Border and Border").  I made it to [Edit] 8.31 seconds left of the card, but DAMN that is hard to keep your eyes opposite where your player is.  I would love to see someone time that card out using gap only.  The derp of it all is that it was in an actual run with 6 lives left (albeit I didn't really care at that point whether I died or not because I had to shut the game off in a minute anyway).  I lost all 6 lives on that spell. XD
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 07:31:42 AM by Makai Butterfly »

« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2012, 03:58:20 PM »
I would love to see someone time that card out using gap only. 

What difficulty are we talking? I might try it once or twice for the lulz.
Current Goals: Clear all games on hard with every shottype (or team, not all solos in IN)

Remaining: EoSD 0, PCB 3, IN 0, MoF 3 (Marisa B doesn't count), SA 4, UFO all B types, TD Youmu, total 14.

Seppo Hovi

« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2012, 04:02:34 PM »
I decided to try counting what kind of a number would my IN easy scores get at Royalflare, using that method haku posted to the scoring thread earlier today.

Then I found out it was too hardcore mathematics for me. While I actually studied SD and such during last year, I've now happily forgotten everything about it. Geez, me.

« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2012, 04:41:36 PM »

Current Goals: Clear all games on hard with every shottype (or team, not all solos in IN)

Remaining: EoSD 0, PCB 3, IN 0, MoF 3 (Marisa B doesn't count), SA 4, UFO all B types, TD Youmu, total 14.

« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2012, 08:48:50 PM »
Well that was absolutely terrible. Decided to play a bit PoFV and made it to Shikeiki's flat with three lives aaaandd... lose them all. Could be acceptable but it's not like it was a hard-fought battle. I just kinda went down without ever threatening her in the slightest.

Sure, could blame that I've changed my controls again... I decided that a certain problem is far too frequent to accept it (Zengeku has the same so it's not just me, though it's apparently not as bad). So ... yeah, my right hand is in action, screw everything I've built up with my left over the last year; I just don't want to deal with this BS anymore (I was - and possibly am - very, very close to just give up on Touhou to be honest, constantly relearning your controls isn't fun*). This way there should be nothing except my own lack of skill that will hold me back now, no more technical issues.
BUT: while my motoric commands had their issues - some extreme derp against Aya - it wasn't necessarily what made me fail so badly against Shikeiki. Apparently I have lost the ability to read what's going on.
Yay me.  :V

*so I had my long analog stick period, WASD with several variations (of both movement keys and focus, fire, bombs, special), TFGH for a short while (new keyboard couldn't shoot, focus and move upwards while "up" was "w"), left-handed arrow-keys (with focus & co on the numpad) and now normal right-handed controls

edit: tried again. Heck, got closer to the 1cc on the first round that in the three I mentioned above ... combined. Not quite enough for the 1cc but it was at least a fight.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 09:43:02 PM by qno2 »

Nekomata-chan

« Reply #71 on: March 23, 2012, 09:03:40 PM »
Ah, a Touhou derp thread. Where do I begin?

UFO Stage 6 Normal - Byakuren's final spellcard.
I sneezed, my UP-key got stuck and I flew right through the amulets and... straight into Byakuren. On my very VERY last life. Damn.

SA Stage 4 Normal - Satori first comes in, in the middle of dialogue.
Let's do a small pre-battle lap around Satori!!
* Flies around Satori.
Yay!! Bring it on!!
* The text disappears and I get walled with her opening non-spell before I can escape.
Damn.

Makai Butterfly

• Superhuman
  • A world of dharma filled with light
« Reply #72 on: March 23, 2012, 10:40:30 PM »
What difficulty are we talking? I might try it once or twice for the lulz.
Normal Difficulty.

DeltaSierra4

• Behind each smile
  • is ten thousand sorrows
« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2012, 03:23:26 AM »

> grazes a shitton

> is playing MoF

Not to mention those moments when I tried to auto collect items on PCB, thinking that I was playing MoF...

Another fail I had... Or this one is more like something that would fit the rage thread but... This one from my recent Nitori challenge

>Plays GFW
>Freezes bullets and sees the percentage and score appear on the screen
>Comes up with the marvelous idea of dodging bullets underneath the text while TEXT IS STILL ON SCREEN
>Does not see a bullet coming through under the text.
>Pichuun!

Screen text, y u no disappear
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 03:29:26 AM by DeltaSierra4 »
"Times will bring that up over and over again. It's like I'm dying from my mental hemophilia... Forgetting the past is easier said than done. You know it dies hard, and when it dies, it dies with you."

Chuckolator

• ex-perfecter, good times
« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2012, 06:40:46 AM »
Playing SA Hard, at midboss Yuugi with a perfect game behind me. I think I get cornered, so I try to bomb. Turns out I make it out okay, and I missed X somehow so I didn't waste 1 power, win win. Too bad I act like I did use a bomb for some reason and charge up the screen with the intent of collecting free graze points. I probably had half a second to stop, but I couldn't seem to take my finger off of up. >_>

I quit for the night.
Aiming to perfect every stage in Touhou. loljk don't care anymore You can find my perfects here or here.
Best perfects so far include UFO 6, MoF 4 and IN 6A.

formerly known as Seiga Kaku

Lepetit89

• Deranged Collector
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2012, 08:24:06 AM »
Screw this, I'll just spam Z and call it a day, my fingers cannot figure out how to keep "C" pressed without making it seem like my hand is glued to shift. GFW's controls are rather inconvenient in that regard, though I have a bit of a geographical disadvantage because German keyboards look like this http://www.klickdichschlau.at/contentfiles/edv/hardware/tastaturlayout_de_540.png, whoever thought it would be a good idea to add another button between Shift and Z/Y? Having to spread middle and ringer fingers so much was annoying, but I got used to it eventually.

Presently, I use my ring finger for shift, middle for Z and index finger for X because the mere idea of additional buttons being added in GFW/TD seemed improbable, though it was more bearable in TD because I'd just move my index finger to C if I was going to intentionally use Trance next.

Gaah, so annoying, I'm fairly sure I'm looking like one of those typewriter-monkeys trying to figure out these controls.

I think this keyboard-layout is fairly common in Europe, anyone got any tips?

Playing SA Hard, at midboss Yuugi with a perfect game behind me. I think I get cornered, so I try to bomb. Turns out I make it out okay, and I missed X somehow so I didn't waste 1 power, win win. Too bad I act like I did use a bomb for some reason and charge up the screen with the intent of collecting free graze points. I probably had half a second to stop, but I couldn't seem to take my finger off of up. >_>

I quit for the night.

Sounds annoying, but don't let the rage make you quit! I'd definitely prefer entering Stage 4 with a "Not like this can get any worse, I say bring it on!"-mindset than a "This is so totally the best run I've ever had, dear god, please don't let me mess this up"-mindset. My last clear actually saw one death in Stage 2 and another two in Stage 3. In that regard, that one death might have had the potential to be beneficial to your run, as rage-inducing as it might have been.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 08:29:23 AM by Lepetit89 »

Zil

« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2012, 08:52:04 AM »
I just mash the Z button to fire. You spend enough time using the ice shield anyway, and during stages you usually want to be somewhat selective with what you shoot because the enemy shots are useful, so constant fire isn't needed. It can get annoying during boss battles, but again you'll be charging the ice half the time anyway.

Of course, this is all the opinion of a guy who button mashes in the Phantasmagoria games all day. The resistance on my Z button is practically nonexistent compared to the others. :derp:

Lepetit89

• Deranged Collector
« Reply #77 on: March 24, 2012, 09:36:51 AM »
I just mash the Z button to fire. You spend enough time using the ice shield anyway, and during stages you usually want to be somewhat selective with what you shoot because the enemy shots are useful, so constant fire isn't needed. It can get annoying during boss battles, but again you'll be charging the ice half the time anyway.

Of course, this is all the opinion of a guy who button mashes in the Phantasmagoria games all day. The resistance on my Z button is practically nonexistent compared to the others. :derp:

Seems like the best option, not like I mind mashing buttons, no way I can get used to using my fingers for different things now. Don't want to start using Bombs instead of focusing all of a sudden.

« Reply #78 on: March 24, 2012, 10:00:35 AM »
Get used to that C-button people. It's actually quite handy and I would probably play more PoFV if there was a C-key in it.  :V

Lepetit89

• Deranged Collector
« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2012, 02:47:08 PM »
Get used to that C-button people. It's actually quite handy and I would probably play more PoFV if there was a C-key in it.  :V

I actually fear that we have to get used to it, it's hard to make a rule out of it since it's only been there for two games, but since it's two games in a row already; who knows what might happen.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #80 on: March 24, 2012, 02:53:55 PM »
Touhou 14: C is the new bomb :colonveeplusalpha:

I can't use four fingers for my Touhou aaaaaa
The reflex in my middle finger isn't as fast as my trigger and deathtrancing is something I've yet to pull off

« Reply #81 on: March 24, 2012, 02:55:37 PM »
> Playing MoF

>Trying to graze so that the point items auto collect

>Wait a minute...

>Keeps grazing

>Realises mistake halfway into stage 3.... I am pretty slow sometimes.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 02:59:10 PM by Index »

« Reply #82 on: March 24, 2012, 03:02:25 PM »
Just get used to it. It isn't hard. If MMO and RTS players can use all them hotkeys then you guys can use four buttons. If nothing else, learning the C-key will give you access to a wider roster of shooters.  ;)

I can't use four fingers for my Touhou aaaaaa

Heh. Just be happy that you aren't playing Deathsmiles then.  :D

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #83 on: March 24, 2012, 03:21:58 PM »
You guys above could try a key remapper or virtual joystick of some kind. That way you can use whichever key combinations feel most comfortable.

As for an actual derp, flying carelessly into a jellybean bullet again during Vajra sure counts.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

« Reply #84 on: March 24, 2012, 03:31:00 PM »

just like in Twinkle Star Sprites (not so much though due to the resilience in some stage enemies if you want proper chains, and also due to the flaming enemies the opponent throws you), you don't spam the shots (or lvl 1 charge shots unless you're Youmu or you're fighting bosses, depending on your character -- in both TSS and PoFV). Spamming shots (instead of shooting a fairy once and letting the chains go) is bad for both chaining meter and chain score in PoFV, as it resets the chain meter to a bit under 50% (instead of how it was when the chain was rolling) and the chain hit counter (iirc), just not the chain score counter.

PoFV has a lot of lvl 2 spamming, and occasionally spamming X to kill Lily White and/or the boss summon (though not both at the same time) for getting items (you normally want to kill the bosses through chain score summons, though. Not sure if chaining fairies/spirits near bosses has any effect in damaging them, though)
neku: now for something important.
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.

« Reply #85 on: March 24, 2012, 05:23:19 PM »
Spamming shots (instead of shooting a fairy once and letting the chains go) is bad for both chaining meter and chain score in PoFV, as it resets the chain meter to a bit under 50% (instead of how it was when the chain was rolling) and the chain hit counter (iirc), just not the chain score counter.

So what? Holding down the shoot key when needed, releasing it when not needed is easy enough. Besides, PoFV scoring? Does anybody even care about that?

« Reply #86 on: March 24, 2012, 05:43:27 PM »
Screw this, I'll just spam Z and call it a day, my fingers cannot figure out how to keep "C" pressed without making it seem like my hand is glued to shift. GFW's controls are rather inconvenient in that regard, though I have a bit of a geographical disadvantage because German keyboards look like this http://www.klickdichschlau.at/contentfiles/edv/hardware/tastaturlayout_de_540.png, whoever thought it would be a good idea to add another button between Shift and Z/Y? Having to spread middle and ringer fingers so much was annoying, but I got used to it eventually.

Presently, I use my ring finger for shift, middle for Z and index finger for X because the mere idea of additional buttons being added in GFW/TD seemed improbable, though it was more bearable in TD because I'd just move my index finger to C if I was going to intentionally use Trance next.

As a fellow German: I know your pain, currently I'm using my pinkie for focus (and it hurts after prolonged play, kinda hoping that it'll go in a few days). Should get a danmaku-insurance in case something happens.  :V
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 05:45:35 PM by qno2 »

Lepetit89

• Deranged Collector
« Reply #87 on: March 24, 2012, 05:45:49 PM »
Besides, PoFV scoring? Does anybody even care about that?

If there's a score to be had, then there will always be competitors, sometimes more than at other times, but there are definitely people going for scores in PoFV. I think Zil's been active there lately.

As a fellow German: I know your pain, currently I'm using my pinkie for focus (and it hurts after prolonged play, kinda hoping that it'll go in a few days). Should get a danmaku-insurance in case something happens.  :V

Wow, I didn't think using the pinkie could be uncomfortable, actually thought it would be the most pleasant way of playing. Gonna have to get used to it eventually, but right now I can't react at all with those fingers if I use four at once, add muscle tension to that and it's downright bothersome.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 06:05:11 PM by Lepetit89 »

« Reply #88 on: March 24, 2012, 05:58:32 PM »
So what? Holding down the shoot key when needed, releasing it when not needed is easy enough. Besides, PoFV scoring? Does anybody even care about that?

I care because it is hard to get some of the later extends otherwise.

« Reply #89 on: March 24, 2012, 06:14:40 PM »
I didn't know that German keyboards are different too. Well, you guys should just remap keys then.