Author Topic: Daily Touhou Best Topic Round 2 Part...2  (Read 185416 times)

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
Re: Daily Touhou Best Topic Round 2 Part...2
« Reply #90 on: December 10, 2011, 09:13:40 PM »
To be honest, that's what I've always loved about ZUN's style. In many songs I've listened to, there's often one really good part that I keep listening to over and over. With ZUN, that part is made into the base melody of the song and used to its fullest. :D
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

« Reply #91 on: December 11, 2011, 12:11:45 AM »
 Last Remote and Tomorrow Will Be Special; Yesterday Was Not.

« Reply #92 on: December 11, 2011, 01:35:47 AM »
Since when does having one melody make the theme bad? Most of ZUN's themes are like this, and yet most of them are exceptionally good.
Most?  I don't know; maybe.  But a decent amount of his music has more going on than most of his extra-stage themes, which is why I said what I did.  Not that those are the only places where he beats a melody into the ground, but they're good examples.

Zil - I don't hear it.  The occasional change in pace, key, and instrumentation (and the obligatory keyboard run), sure, but that doesn't do it for me.  The melody remains essentially untouched.  I'd find the themes more interesting if their lengths were halved; sure, it'd play twice over the stage, but there'd be far more new variance and it'd remain far more engaging.  Other vgm, like old Mega Man tracks, were often exceedingly short, but they were so packed with ideas that you could loop them many times without getting bored.  I can't think of any ZUNmusic that I dislike at the beginning (even with the intolerable auto-vibrato of ZUNpets), but I can think of many pieces that I can't stand after a minute and a half.
Good thing we have ~opinions~.
Sounding a little snippy there.  I thought my tongue-in-cheek parenthetical would have been enough of a tip-off that I wasn't trying to hurt feelings.  Regardless, most of the ex-themes are repetitious, and I dislike them and had disagreed with your earlier assessment for that reason.  I didn't think I needed to preface what I was writing with the disclaimer that music appreciation is largely subjective.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 01:40:02 AM by K.B. »
eb: there should be a shmup that is sort of like podd minus the versus shit
eb: you go dodging semirandom things then it goes WARNING GET OUT OF THE WAY MOTHERFUCKER and you get a shitstorm
KB: and there is no way out of the way
eb: the way is through

Zil

« Reply #93 on: December 11, 2011, 01:49:38 AM »
Zil - I don't hear it.  The occasional change in pace, key, and instrumentation (and the obligatory keyboard run), sure, but that doesn't do it for me.
I don't mean it's great, just the most tolerable of the extra themes. I agree that they are consistently monotonous. I think ZUN said in one of the song comments that he makes them like that on purpose for some reason.

Critz

• Heartwarming ★ Miracle
« Reply #94 on: December 11, 2011, 03:22:01 AM »
Charming domination, surely. Unlike the other ones, instead of getting boring, it kept on motivating me to get that clear :3.

« Reply #95 on: December 11, 2011, 09:06:13 AM »
I think ZUN said in one of the song comments that he makes them like that on purpose for some reason.

Its the one time where he makes music to fit the stages, not the other way around.  ;)

« Reply #96 on: December 11, 2011, 04:38:36 PM »
There's a lot of really good themes here but LAST REMOTE blows everything out of the water through sheer awesomeness. It's the reason I love playing through SA's extra so much.

Also really good are Centennial, Alice in Wonderland and Extend Ash, in that order.

« Reply #97 on: December 11, 2011, 08:00:42 PM »
I don't mean it's great, just the most tolerable of the extra themes. I agree that they are consistently monotonous. I think ZUN said in one of the song comments that he makes them like that on purpose for some reason.
Egg on my face there.  I didn't recognize that as the name of an extra's theme - I thought you were speaking on the themes in general and thus giving them "extra love".

I can't afk hard enough right now.
eb: there should be a shmup that is sort of like podd minus the versus shit
eb: you go dodging semirandom things then it goes WARNING GET OUT OF THE WAY MOTHERFUCKER and you get a shitstorm
KB: and there is no way out of the way
eb: the way is through

MMX

• In Soviet Gensokyo...
  • ...bullets dodge you.
    • LiveJournal blog
« Reply #98 on: December 11, 2011, 09:52:24 PM »
Centenial festival for magical girls was my favourite untill i listened it like thousand times while trying EoSD extra stage. Still it's on my mp3-player's playlist along with UFO romance in the night sky, wich is my favourite now.

P.S.: And i easily can choose the worst one: Youkai Back Shrine Road. Never heard a more pathetic piece from ZUN before ???
My danmakufu thread Most recent - "Kappa Mechanics" (Nitori fight)   My youtube channel Latest update - EoSD extra no bombs clear

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #99 on: December 12, 2011, 03:52:10 AM »
May as well finish off this series of questions in the next two days.

What is your favorite extra boss theme?

A lot of people consider the extra boss themes some of the best in the game. Whether or not you believe it, I command you to pick them off them off one by one until only your favorite remains. and. I COMMAND YOU. CHOOSE. CHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSE.

* Donut evil laughter
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Zil

« Reply #100 on: December 12, 2011, 04:04:52 AM »
U. N. Owen was Her?
That's the most interesting one for me. I tend to like songs with this "insane" sound to them. (Dancing Mad, Mr. Bear, Heian Alien, etc.)

« Reply #101 on: December 12, 2011, 04:17:34 AM »
 A Maiden's Illusionary Funeral ~ Necro-Fantasy and Necrofantasia.
 Both are in the first place of my favorite extra boss themes.
 Reach for the Moon, Immortal Smoke is my third favorite.

MMX

• In Soviet Gensokyo...
  • ...bullets dodge you.
    • LiveJournal blog
« Reply #102 on: December 12, 2011, 04:21:58 AM »
Hard to choose, they're almost all awesome :3 But i try to make my top 3 like this:

1. U.N. Owen was her
2. Native faith
3. Heian alien

Though the margin between the rest (except for IN and TD ones) is insiginificantly small.
My danmakufu thread Most recent - "Kappa Mechanics" (Nitori fight)   My youtube channel Latest update - EoSD extra no bombs clear

J.O.B

• YOU CAN'T MAKE ME CHANGE
« Reply #103 on: December 12, 2011, 04:25:21 AM »
NATIVE FUCKING FAITH
I also like Reach for the Moon ~ Immortal Smoke

Formless God

« Reply #104 on: December 12, 2011, 04:47:22 AM »
Native Faith and Futatsuiwa From Sado its clone.

Phlegeth

• DPS LFG
  • Time expired: 121:45
« Reply #105 on: December 12, 2011, 04:57:41 AM »
Futatsuiwa From Sado,  I haven't fought her, but that theme is catchy.

ExPorygon

• Veteran Danmakufu Scripter
  • Currently working on a full Touhou fangame!
    • Ephemeral Entertainment
« Reply #106 on: December 12, 2011, 05:12:27 AM »
Reach for the Moon ~ Immortal Smoke is my favorite touhou theme overall, so naturally it's my pick for best extra boss theme.

After that, I have to go with Futatsuiwa from Sado. It's just so damn catchy!!

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #107 on: December 12, 2011, 05:50:04 AM »
Indeed Donut, a lot of Extra Stage themes are really good. But for me this is an easy question: Necro-Fantasy. That melody is just God-tier, so much so that I'd call this my second favorite song in the whole series.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #108 on: December 12, 2011, 07:33:58 AM »
Native Faith, followed by Futatsuiwa from Sado.
Seriously, this was an easy question.

« Reply #109 on: December 12, 2011, 07:59:10 AM »
U.N. Owen was her?. I also like Necrofantasia and The Grimoire of Alice and recently started to appreciate Hartmann's Youkai Girl.

Iliq

• Something
  • And something else
« Reply #110 on: December 12, 2011, 08:02:49 AM »
Hartmann's Youkai Girl, easily.

And best Extra theme is tied between Alice in Wonderland and Last Remote. Both are great.

« Reply #111 on: December 12, 2011, 08:23:44 AM »
True, there is quite some good music in the Extra Boss department. It is a ten minute long boss fight so it would be problematic if the music wasn't good. As for my favorite, I'll probably go for Futatsuiwa from Sado because I'm original like that and always pick the newest one. Although that isn't the case at all. My runner up would probably be Native Faith. Its simple but still a classic for me. Or really, just about any song that doesn't molest your ears with a trumpet.

Also. UN is overrated.  :trollface:

Formless God

« Reply #112 on: December 12, 2011, 08:34:41 AM »
because I'm original like that and always pick the newest one
Or really, just about any song that doesn't molest your ears with a trumpet.
Stop being me

Also. UN is overrated.  :trollface:
Is there anything more overrated than Necrofantasia ? :V
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 08:36:33 AM by Anarchy Formless »

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #113 on: December 12, 2011, 08:47:48 AM »
Look at all these people not posting The Grimoire of Alice. Look at how wrong they all are. :justasplanned:

« Reply #114 on: December 12, 2011, 09:04:27 AM »
Stop being me

No, you stop being me you wannabe. :V
Or we could just join forces to tell the rest of the world that they are wrong.

Is there anything more overrated than Necrofantasia ? :V

No.
Well, i guess not. That and UN, I guess.

J.O.B

« Reply #115 on: December 12, 2011, 09:05:23 AM »
Look at all these people not posting Native Faith. Look at how wrong they all are. :justasplanned:

Zil

« Reply #116 on: December 12, 2011, 09:43:49 AM »
It has occured to me that I forgot all about Fairy Wars. If Magus Night counts, then that beats everything into the ground.

J.O.B

« Reply #117 on: December 12, 2011, 10:06:38 AM »
It has occured to me that I forgot all about Fairy Wars. If Magus Night counts, then that beats everything into the ground. Except Native Faith.

Thaws

• _m廿廿m_
« Reply #118 on: December 12, 2011, 11:07:28 AM »
Native Faith is special in that it's like the 2nd song from Touhou I've ever heard (since that and UNOwen donaldMADs are like one of the earliest MADs out there...)
but I'd say Hartmann's better because it fits Koishi so well.

Previous question:
I personally find extra stage themes to be better than extra boss themes in most cases yet they get so overshadowed by the boss themes. :(
Last remote's my favourite, with UFO Romance in the Night Sky second.

« Reply #119 on: December 12, 2011, 11:21:43 AM »
It has occured to me that I forgot all about Fairy Wars. If Magus Night counts, then that beats everything into the ground.

If it means that it beats UN Owen then of course it counts. :D
I'm actually more or less inclined to agree. It can certainly compete with my picks.