Author Topic: Labyrinth of Touhou discussion thread #2  (Read 222460 times)

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
Re: Labyrinth of Touhou discussion thread #2
« Reply #810 on: February 08, 2010, 02:25:50 AM »
I use print screen on the keyboard, then open up paint or photoshop or whatever you use, and ctrl-V to paste.
With this game I sometimes get just black. Dunno why, only sometimes.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #811 on: February 08, 2010, 02:49:50 AM »
Seems like everyone who played and got far/beat this game started a 2nd game right away. Truly I have never seen an RPG so damn good where everyone wants to start over immediately after beating it >=P.
I know if this was any other game I'd call it quits after accidently deleting my 2nd game, but no, gonna do it again >=P.
Heck, I think I'll even do a THIRD playthrough after I get to New Game+. I've never done that. Several games I've played through twice, and maybe two games I went about 1/3 through a third time. But this game is just too good.

Of course, I'll probably set limitations on myself to make the game harder. Maybe I'll even make a youtube account and upload the videos, that time! I should start planning how I'll make it harder x3

I suppose I could one of these things:Sub-Par team (with the help of New Game+ char unlock), No Equipment, Limited character amount(as in, less then 12), and I'd probably limit myself to only one set team.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 02:52:07 AM by NeoGenesis »
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

MysTeariousYukari

• Nomnomnom~
  • Hooray~
« Reply #812 on: February 08, 2010, 03:19:07 AM »
Ok, I got some screen shots showing the oddity, but I have no clue on how to put the pic into a message, and even if I did know how the pics all have later-game chars in them, so if I posted them, that would be spoiler-tastic.

Any solutions to the problems?

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #813 on: February 08, 2010, 04:11:46 AM »
Just reached Yukari, got to her third phase my first try. If she didn't take out all my heavy hitters in the first phase I would have had a fair chance at beating her. As it stands perhaps I should grind a bit before fighting her again...

EDIT: ...Wow, for all the hype, I was NOT expecting to beat Yukari my second try. Suwako's Croaking Frog dealt over 60k damage a hit.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 05:03:37 AM by nintendonut888 »
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

nintendonut888

« Reply #814 on: February 08, 2010, 07:08:39 AM »
Oooookay, I think my team defeated Yukari a bit sooner than the game expected, because the floor 17 enemies are thrashing me significantly more than a new floor of enemies normally would. My team is in their mid 60s to mid 70s. Any tips on the enemies in this floor? Also, is it just me, or is Yukari not near as useful as she was making herself out to be? :[
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #815 on: February 08, 2010, 07:19:07 AM »
Also, is it just me, or is Yukari not near as useful as she was making herself out to be? :[
It's all in how you invest the Skill Points and Ability usage.

17/18F takes things up a few notches I suppose. Tips? Outspeed them. 180+ SPD should do it for 17F. Though, it all depends on whether those characters have enough firepower to take them out as well. Other than that, I don't have much insight, unless you want specific monster tips.
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

nintendonut888

« Reply #816 on: February 08, 2010, 07:31:50 AM »
Outspeeding them alone pretty much does nothing but guarantee I can run from them, rather than getting completely party killed before anyone gets to move. >_> Tips on individual monsters would be great.

I'm grinding on floor 16 for now, since even though floor 17 gives about 2000 more EXP per fight, I actually LIVE through more than one fight on floor 16.

Milkyway64

• I AM A MAD SCIENTIST. KIND OF.
« Reply #817 on: February 08, 2010, 07:35:55 AM »
My advice? Chen abuse to run to floor 18. It gets much more manageable there, IMO.

« Reply #818 on: February 08, 2010, 07:43:26 AM »
Oooookay, I think my team defeated Yukari a bit sooner than the game expected, because the floor 17 enemies are thrashing me significantly more than a new floor of enemies normally would. My team is in their mid 60s to mid 70s. Any tips on the enemies in this floor? Also, is it just me, or is Yukari not near as useful as she was making herself out to be? :[
I haven't used her much myself, but she seems much more like a supporter in boss fights than an attacker.

Also, if you want to make grinding easier, you could put Flandre in your party and then manipulate it so that her speed is just slightly lower than everyone else's.  Laevatein + the rest of your party's attacks should wreck mobs pretty easily.

nintendonut888

« Reply #819 on: February 08, 2010, 08:16:43 AM »
I haven't beaten Flandre yet. >_> She does so much damage not even Tenshi after her 100% defense buff can survive more than one hit.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #820 on: February 08, 2010, 08:23:14 AM »
I haven't beaten Flandre yet. >_> She does so much damage not even Tenshi after her 100% defense buff can survive more than one hit.

Yukari must have gone easy on you damn. Yukari could 1shot anybody including Tenshi with a buffed insect swarm or flying swallow thing or whatever the heck that row attack that makes these torpedos launch from a portal from the left side to the screen to the right is after her big phase 3 buff.

I also had a hard time with her because I don't know about you, but I swore the computer knew when to use that stupid move that made my action bar goto 0, and on who.. Like "zomg I need to heal my whole party, gogo reimu" *yukari blows reimu's ap guage to 0 from 99% full* ARRRGH

You have no idea how often she did that. She TOTALLY knew who to screw up like that. ARGH

« Reply #821 on: February 08, 2010, 08:30:24 AM »
Yoshicookie, that attack is used on whoever is furthest left, every time. This is similar to how trash target your party, just trash prefers those on the left over those on the right, but could still hit the 4th slot char if your unlucky.
Wait... So the random encounter enemies does that too? I never noticed... Though then again, I usually manage to get rid of most of them (ARGH stupid demon top things) before they attack.

If memory serves she always fires at the first slot. As such, its usually best to have someone with high HP there since the move is capable of piercing pretty well (assuming it follows the same formula the player version does, of course).
Heh. That thing took out anyone in one hit, so I just went with the "sacrifice" strategy, placed some unimportant character there, and used the other three to take her out before she could fire it more than twice.

Yes, except he can use Flowing Hellfire as often as he darn well feels like it. Have lots of fire resistance prepped if you can.
Oh god. Given how much trouble I had staying alive against the predictable 7F version, I think I'll wait with this one until I've finished the 10-12F maze.

nintendonut888

« Reply #822 on: February 08, 2010, 08:32:33 AM »
She MUST have gone easy on me, because I never saw that attack. :V I'm really not complaining. Really though, she seemed to be fairly easy. Cirno just needed to debuff her speed, Reimu needed to heal everyone, and Suwako and Yugi's combined forces took about 1/7 of her health per round. The only hard parts were the Djinn storms, but I just needed to do a bunch of switching to speed everyone's recovery. Also I killed her before she ever buffed herself with IN Quadruple Barrier.

It must be because she knows I love her~ ;)

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #823 on: February 08, 2010, 09:05:09 AM »
Weak. Flan can kill her before she even makes the first release. :V

« Reply #824 on: February 08, 2010, 09:34:18 AM »
Advice: Don't bring Marisa into that fight. Absolutely NOTHING she can do will deal reasonable damage, including her full-power Master Spark. >.>

"What do you mean 'stop repeating everything you say'?"

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #825 on: February 08, 2010, 09:36:45 AM »
Weak. Flan can kill her before she even makes the first release. :V

Yeah, very true. Flan is ridiculously holy shit what the fuck broken.

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

« Reply #826 on: February 08, 2010, 09:42:22 AM »
Yeah, very true. Flan is ridiculously holy shit what the fuck broken.
Didn't someone earlier in the topic say they were using her to tank with? =V
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 09:44:35 AM by AlexX Unlimited »

"What do you mean 'stop repeating everything you say'?"

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #827 on: February 08, 2010, 10:00:46 AM »

u mad

Admittedly, Flan's DEF growth is simply below average. Her MND is just complete shit though.

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #828 on: February 08, 2010, 10:25:58 AM »

Meatshield like Komachi.

MysTeariousYukari

• Nomnomnom~
  • Hooray~
« Reply #829 on: February 08, 2010, 12:25:23 PM »
Ooooook... I see that no one is using spoiler tags... why? Is it a "no one cares :V" bit or is everyone just lazy?

« Reply #830 on: February 08, 2010, 01:17:10 PM »
Oh god. Given how much trouble I had staying alive against the predictable 7F version, I think I'll wait with this one until I've finished the 10-12F maze.

Actually, the "whenever he feels like it" part is untrue. All the Foe enemies always follow the pattern of Flowing Hellfire -> 3x (Tackle or Slash) -> repeat. The problem comes if the AI roulette chooses to Tackle or Slash an empty spot due to someone dying, in which case it'll choose another move and target, but it still counts towards the pattern despite the move never going off at all.

In other words, if you can keep characters in the 4 main slots during every one of his turns, he'll (usually) follow the pattern. If you ever leave a slot open during his attack, you're leaving it up to chance whether it changes his pattern or not.

The fact that some of
Spoiler:
Orin's
moves does not have this "retargeting" is what makes the game crash on her sometimes if you leave open slots in your party. It's also why if you use
Spoiler:
Tenshi
to sole tank and switching in damagers during safe periods method against her, sometimes she'll completely skip 1 or more of the 2 initial
Spoiler:
Cats Walks
that she always does with a full party out.

This might change during low health period though, that part I'm not sure of.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 01:25:27 PM by Deranged »

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #831 on: February 08, 2010, 01:23:29 PM »
You beat her... 15 levels below when I did... ;-;

Also, the way I use her is as a tank. I spent all her level up bonuses on MND she its even better then Patchy's (aka GOD LEVEL). Comine that with her party buff and she's nigh invulnerable to magic, plus with decent HP/DEF.

Spiriting Away and Mesh of Light&Darkness(For SPD down/PAR) are pretty useful when she isn't buffing or focusing, although the former is a mass SP cost and you better just switch her out for a sec so she can move again before an eternity passed. Against random encounters, those are STILL the two useful moves, because since I didn't spend her level ups on MAG she can't really deal damage for me.
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #832 on: February 08, 2010, 01:38:34 PM »
Ooooook... I see that no one is using spoiler tags... why? Is it a "no one cares :V" bit or is everyone just lazy?

Mostly lazy noobs. The folks from the first thread are pretty much past spoilers since we're on our second playthrough/doing research. It was spoiler tags for all characters beyond Yuugi.

MysTeariousYukari

• Nomnomnom~
  • Hooray~
« Reply #833 on: February 08, 2010, 01:45:42 PM »
Ok. Also, how do I post pictures on MotK? I have pics showing a... problem I guess would be the word for it. The problem is in Labyrinth of course :V

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #834 on: February 08, 2010, 02:02:13 PM »
Upload it somewhere and link it. Follow the normal rules for posting pics.

nintendonut888

« Reply #835 on: February 08, 2010, 03:12:33 PM »
I should ask: What element is starbow break? If I can buff that resistance, maybe I can survive it.

You beat her... 15 levels below when I did... ;-;

I'm also 15 levels underleveled. ;-;

MysTeariousYukari

• Nomnomnom~
  • Hooray~
« Reply #836 on: February 08, 2010, 03:37:17 PM »
If I remember correctly, Starbow has no element. I think it's just a powerful physical move. I could be wrong though :V

« Reply #837 on: February 08, 2010, 05:25:30 PM »
Any tips for fighting
Spoiler:
Tenshi
? Most of my characters can't even hurt her, and she likes to kill off the ones who can (Marisa, Patchy, Rumia, and
Spoiler:
Nitori
) with
Spoiler:
Sword of Rapture or World-Creating Press
, which none of them can take even with the combined buffs of Reimu and
Spoiler:
Ran
. Everything goes mostly fine until I get to a point where I simply run out of meat shields to switch in while my damage-dealers recover SP...

I also tried fighting the boss trio of F12, which didn't go very well either. Trying to keep everyone healed while getting attacked by three people simultaneously doesn't seem like the easiest task.

Jaimers

• You just did it because you're older than me.
« Reply #838 on: February 08, 2010, 06:41:12 PM »
YES! I beat the damn thing!  ;D
Killed it with a last ditch effort Master Spark, which was pretty awesome.
MS does less damage than Silent Selene.  :V
I guess I need more sp before it becomes ridiculously powerfull?

Grinded 1-2 levels, spend all my skillpoints and gave Remilia and Meiling some bomb rings before the battle so they could survive the deathwave. After that it was just a matter of getting everyone else the hell out of dodge when he was about to use his deathwave, which I noticed has a pattern to it.
I haven't said it yet, but the music on floor 7 is fucking awesome.

Anyway, what's the highest anyone has gotten their encounter meter? I got mine to 92% once.  :V
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 07:06:36 PM by Jaimers »

Jyazen

« Reply #839 on: February 08, 2010, 06:56:27 PM »
I've got till 108.4% before. I went "Wha-?" and took a screenshot before getting an encounter the very next step, lol.